Carnival - Insurance now required in FL and TX for unvaccinated cruisers.

8 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Almost every day it changes. Florida won against the CDC. That did not last very long. Now another judge, some idiot over turned the ruling against the CDC in Florida. Back to square one.  98% employees, and 95% guests must be vaccinated and 5 % non vaccinated. So without actually requesting that they check your vaccination information how is a cruise line to know? Florida does not allow them to do so. Things were going just fine till the CDC sticks its monkey wrench into it. Carnival had it down great. Ask the guest if they would not mind showing the vaccination card. Who would not if you are vaccinated? Those that did not, were considered non vaccinated and they are probably are not.  So simple. and legal.  Our September cruise was cancelled. I hope by October 30, when we finally cruise on the Mardi Gras, all of this will be finished, but I doubt it.

Carnival is getting around it by taking the stance that if you don't volunteer vaccination information, you are unvaccinated. They are not requiring vaccination, they are just encouraging folks to provide it. Pretty smart if you ask me.

• Like 3

Besides the expense of testing, another problem for families is that the youth programs will not be available those who are not vaccinated. At least they can cancel and make other plans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Announced by John today. Carnival FL and TX cruises require insurance for unvaccinated. They will also have to pay $150 for testing. 

I do not sail until January but like always, I have already bought travel insurance. (and have the vaccine.)

16 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Almost every day it changes. Florida won against the CDC. That did not last very long. Now another judge, some idiot over turned the ruling against the CDC in Florida. Back to square one.  98% employees, and 95% guests must be vaccinated and 5 % non vaccinated. So without actually requesting that they check your vaccination information how is a cruise line to know? Florida does not allow them to do so. Things were going just fine till the CDC sticks its monkey wrench into it. Carnival had it down great. Ask the guest if they would not mind showing the vaccination card. Who would not if you are vaccinated? Those that did not, were considered non vaccinated and they are probably are not.  So simple. and legal.  Our September cruise was cancelled. I hope by October 30, when we finally cruise on the Mardi Gras, all of this will be finished, but I doubt it.

I doubt the legal proceedings had anything to do with this. Carnival is trying to protect themselves financially because of the uptick in cases in the US as well as the conditions in the ports they visit.

I don’t think anything else has changed as far as procedure for vaccination status to sail.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Texas starting in august I heard him say.

Or you can get a refund. .. finally. 

The insurance is only for unvaccinated...not sure it was said before

Yep, I saw the refund part and I'm like I'm done with this waiting game and moving on...

• Thanks 2

Does anyone have the link for exemptions?(children under 12)I have not gotten an email and can't find anything on the carnival website. I know last time a lot of people never got the email and I want to be proactive. 

14 minutes ago, stellarose said:

my hunch is that the demographic from now until end of 21 into 22 will be from 18 up.  JMO.

I doubt it, that demographic is much more problematic than a young kid demographic. Young kids don't drink, aren't aggressively defiant, and won't be yelling about "their rights & freedoms". I know who I'd pick if it were up to me and the unvaccinated adults aint it. The young kids don't have choice to get vaccinated, the adults do. The wiser choice is the under 12 kids with vaccinated families.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I doubt it, that demographic is much more problematic than a young kid demographic. Young kids don't drink, aren't aggressively defiant, and won't be yelling about "their rights & freedoms". I know who I'd pick if it were up to me and the unvaccinated adults aint it. The young kids don't have choice to get vaccinated, the adults do. The wiser choice is the under 12 kids with vaccinated families.  

good points. 

11 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Yes, that makes sense. And they should be part of families with vaccinated parents and if older vaccine eligible siblings, you would also expect them to be vaccinated. It would be difficult to ask for and expect to not only get exemptions for younger children, but to also get exemptions for others in the same travelling party.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I can not tell you if many younger cruisers who are on budgets and party a bit more are going to be vaccinated. Paying the extra money for insurance for not be vaccinated to go on the cruise will cause them to do something else though. And at some point that will affect the prices of cruising throughout the lines.

29 minutes ago, florida eagle said:

Paying the extra money for insurance for not be vaccinated to go on the cruise will cause them to do something else though. And at some point that will affect the prices of cruising throughout the lines.

Not sure what you are getting at, as if demand drops, prices drop. Carnival cant charge more than a willing cruiser is willing to pay. My concern is there is a false demand right now, of folks with 600 obc booked out for years propping up prices. Demand going forward might drop. How many people booked just to get that $600 obc. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, florida eagle said:

I can not tell you if many younger cruisers who are on budgets and party a bit more are going to be vaccinated. Paying the extra money for insurance for not be vaccinated to go on the cruise will cause them to do something else though. And at some point that will affect the prices of cruising throughout the lines.

That may be if they continue to reject the vaccine. I can’t predict what the reaction will be, but perhaps there are young people who just have not gotten it because they didn’t think they needed it.  Maybe a free vaccine would be OK if it meant they could go on vacation without additional costs and restrictions.

I know people like that. Maybe there are others.

Edited by Babr

22 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Not sure what you are getting at, as if demand drops, prices drop. Carnival cant charge more than a willing cruiser is willing to pay. My concern is there is a false demand right now, of folks with 600 obc booked out for years propping up prices. Demand going forward might drop. How many people booked just to get that $600 obc. 

The Cruise industry before Covid was a well oiled machine. 24 hours a day receiving and departing passengers while keeping the ships going. Running all of the ships in different sizes and duration of cruises to different types of ports. A few cruise lines getting passengers on the ships at the lowest price possible while others with the same intent getting a bit more. If there are less people on the more economical cruises filling up those ships, that will affect the more affluent cruisers prices or the longer cruise prices. That can be reversed also. 

Anyone know if they will let you cancel a cruise in January and March now for a full refund? I am no longer interested in moving my cruise for a third time, I just want to cancel and get my money back and book a land vacation. Cruises were already right on the line of a little too much control, go here and do this, we will open the doors of the theater 15 minutes before the show, out of your room by 8am, stand here and wait. Embarkation was just a nightmare I have to endure. I mean I know the reason for all of this, but it already stressed my patience. I think I have to take a break from cruising in the current climate.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Anyone know if they will let you cancel a cruise in January and March now for a full refund? I am no longer interested in moving my cruise for a third time, I just want to cancel and get my money back and book a land vacation. Cruises were already right on the line of a little too much control, go here and do this, we will open the doors of the theater 15 minutes before the show, out of your room by 8am, stand here and wait. Embarkation was just a nightmare I have to endure. I mean I know the reason for all of this, but it already stressed my patience. I think I have to take a break from cruising in the current climate.   

I'm pretty sure you asked this before and the answer was no. As of yesterday you can finally cancel sept and oct and get a refund. Or if you were cancelled. Not past oct. You will get a letter before January allowing you to cancel perhaps. 

Standard canc penalties apply. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm pretty sure you asked this before and the answer was no. As of yesterday you can finally cancel sept and oct and get a refund. Or if you were cancelled. Not past oct. You will get a letter before January allowing you to cancel perhaps. 

Standard canc penalties apply. 

I will just have to sit and wait then. Thanks 

• Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see if the unvaccinated that truly doubt the vaccine until further tested will put their money behind their beliefs and pay for the test and insurance. I know that I would not. Vacations are expensive and there are other options.

Edited by ledges1
Correct spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I will just have to sit and wait then. Thanks 

But if you are booked for January and March you have only put down a deposit which is refundable depending on how you booked right?

This is from their website: (https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx)

Days Prior to Departure Date Cancellation Charge (Per Guest)*
2-5 day cruises (excluding all Alaskan, European, Transatlantic, and Panama Canal cruises): Up to 76 days None (except fares with non-refundable payments*)
  75 to 56 days Deposit
  55 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater
  29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater
  14 days or less 100% of Total Fare
6 day or longer cruises, as well as all Alaskan, European, Transatlantic, and Panama Canal cruises: Up to 91 days None (except fares with non-refundable payments *)
  90 to 56 days Deposit
  55 to 30 days Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater
  29 to 15 days Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater
  14 days or less 100% of Total Fare