Taking on bottles at embarkation

Dorset Cruiser

On 7/20/2021 at 1:42 PM, Steelers36 said:

Just want to clarify.  You CAN consume that free (no corkage fee) bottle in the cabin without any charge.  But you do not HAVE to consume it there.  You can take it to the DR, for example, and they can assess the corkage fee.  If you take it anywhere already opened, there is no corkage fee. 

You are absolutely correct.  We live near Napa, Ca. and always bring a lot of wine because we take long cruises.  That said, when checking in we go to the table and prepay corkage fee. If we paid it onboard, they would charge corkage plus gratuity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Knickearth said:

You are absolutely correct.  We live near Napa, Ca. and always bring a lot of wine because we take long cruises.  That said, when checking in we go to the table and prepay corkage fee. If we paid it onboard, they would charge corkage plus gratuity.

I am pretty sure I have always been charged only $15 per bottle.  I must admit that the last cruise we were on (NOV 19), our waiters only charged me once as I recall.

ETA:  For greater certainty, I went back and checked a couple of stateroom folios.  No extra charge.  Doesn't make sense it would apply in one case and not another anyway.  The corkage fee is the corkage fee.  I have both pre-paid and not.  Usually when we are arriving, the table is not yet setup.

Edited by Steelers36

Do we take our 12 pack of canned soft drinks up to the table also. ???  Or does security scanner people just check them out.??? We are taking a 15 dayer & don’t drink alcohol , so we don’t think it’s worth getting the Plus package. Especially since we get the coffee package. 

34 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

Do we take our 12 pack of canned soft drinks up to the table also. ???  Or does security scanner people just check them out.??? We are taking a 15 dayer & don’t drink alcohol , so we don’t think it’s worth getting the Plus package. Especially since we get the coffee package. 

No fee for soda.  It will be scanned/checked in security screen and then good to go.

27 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Remember you can each take your allotment of canned soda aboard.

Yes,  Thank you!   The hardest part is adding it to our carry ons,  or adding another carry on soft tote.  Still wondering why we cannot give it to the porters, in boxes with our checked luggage. Just like we did in the past. Maybe Princess thinks it’s too much trouble to scan & check to see what’s in the box.  Always wondered why my box of soda was never opened.

13 minutes ago, Ronnieslady said:

Yes,  Thank you!   The hardest part is adding it to our carry ons,  or adding another carry on soft tote.  Still wondering why we cannot give it to the porters, in boxes with our checked luggage. Just like we did in the past. Maybe Princess thinks it’s too much trouble to scan & check to see what’s in the box.  Always wondered why my box of soda was never opened.

I'm reasonably certain that all of the new rules were made by people who never actually cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ronnieslady said:

Perhaps it's because bags are not treated gingerly by the handlers ... and leakers can impact others' luggage, clothes  etc.

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

I'm reasonably certain that all of the new rules were made by people who never actually cruise.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Or new rules are intended to discourage the practice without actually removing the permissions.

Definitely. If someone has to lug two 12 packs of soda, 4 bottles of wine for several hours it might deter them

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

Definitely. If someone has to lug two 12 packs of soda, 4 bottles of wine for several hours it might deter them

Thank you everyone for your input.  It has actually made me feel better. On our up coming cruise in November to Hawaii my DH will be the one toting our Diet Cherry Pepper in cans (of course).   We hate the diet drinks from the ship.  

I wonder what happens if the porters are left with a case of soda.  Do they have any new instructions?  And once on board, why would Princess security reject it?  Wonder if anyone has tried this route?  (We don't bring soda, but friends have.  I think once I gave porters a case of water.  This was before the pre-cruise water package and also before the plastic bottle ban).

30 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I wonder what happens if the porters are left with a case of soda.  Do they have any new instructions?  And once on board, why would Princess security reject it?  Wonder if anyone has tried this route?  (We don't bring soda, but friends have.  I think once I gave porters a case of water.  This was before the pre-cruise water package and also before the plastic bottle ban).

Now that’s an excellent question??   Maybe they would reject  it because we didn’t follow the rules. ?? I don’t think a lot of people even know it’s a new rule, unless they read here on CC. And not that many read CC compared to their customer base. 
That’s why I was hoping someone on a cruise now or the last few would respond…..

On 8/11/2021 at 1:48 AM, Thrak said:

I suspect the new rules is because the security scanning of luggage cannot tell the difference between soda and prohibited beverages such as beer. Also because bottles (plastic or glass) can easily have the contents replaced with a forbidden beverage.

Several years ago Carnival (whose parent Carnival Corp also owns Princess) went to even more restrictive rules. Cases of soda were ripped open at check-in inspection to be sure all 12 cans were soda. You were not permitted to bring any beverage back on board at a port stop, even an unopened water bottle that Carnival sold to you before you had left the ship. And alcoholic beverages that were purchased in their onboard shop were not returned the evening before the bend of the cruise. You had to pick them up yourself the morning of disembarkation when it was too late to pack them in your airline luggage which had been collected the night before.

On 7/20/2021 at 2:05 PM, Thrak said:

From the current Passage Contract:

image.thumb.png.0203ab9f926a87093c038c3d0afa44cb.png

Just another way to sell more stuff on board.  Why am I not surprised? 

I believe although I may be wrong on this that if you go on a Princess sponsored tour that includes a visit to a winery and you buy some wine there, they still take it from you when you reboard the ship and give it back to you on the last day of the cruise.  Does anyone know what they do with all the confiscated booze that isn't picked up at the end of the cruise.  Want to bet that they put it into the booze stock and sell it to the next bunch of passengers us else they use it at the bars.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

4 hours ago, caribill said:

I suspect the new rules is because the security scanning of luggage cannot tell the difference between soda and prohibited beverages such as beer. Also because bottles (plastic or glass) can easily have the contents replaced with a forbidden beverage.

Several years ago Carnival (whose parent Carnival Corp also owns Princess) went to even more restrictive rules. Cases of soda were ripped open at check-in inspection to be sure all 12 cans were soda. You were not permitted to bring any beverage back on board at a port stop, even an unopened water bottle that Carnival sold to you before you had left the ship. And alcoholic beverages that were purchased in their onboard shop were not returned the evening before the bend of the cruise. You had to pick them up yourself the morning of disembarkation when it was too late to pack them in your airline luggage which had been collected the night before.

I for sure get that. But why did they never open the cardboard box 📦 that I used to mark soft drinks, to check to see what was really in it. Or they never called me up to the naughty room.  Like they did with just bringing a small fan, battery or electric.  They always think it’s some kind of heater. So now I always put it in my carry on.  Those people seem to know exactly what it is.  They must know  about (hot flashes)🤪