The Daily for Thursday July 22, 2021

richwmn

👍Thank you Rich @richwmn for The Daily and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.

Jacqui @kazu..🐀same thing happened to us with some rodent munching on the wires~🚗 was  parked in driveway/someone keeping warm? 

🎂Happy Birthday to your son @mamaofami.

🚢Past Princess cruise to only three Scotish ports: Edinburgh, Greenock and Invergordon.😉 Looking forward to photos from today's port of call.

🙏Prayers to all in need and Thank You to all who contribute. 

Katie

0_FB_IMG_1587649251175.jpg

0_16269648500117671628010210751237.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 8

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily.

I like both Rich's and Ray's dinner suggestions. Relaxing in a hammock tied between two palm trees on a beach is not a bad way to spend a few hours.

• Like 14

54 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Good news with our kitty, I think I found a sitter

Excellent!  Good news indeed.

apparently squirrels can get in there.  The dealership had a couple of entertaining stories for DH - one about an entire back seat ruined by squirrels going up inside and making a nest.  Holy Cow!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning, all, I slept in this morning, woke suddenly at 7:45 with Pat making noises as he dressed for golf.  I could have slept longer!  Prayers for those needing them still, and cheers for all the good stuff!  Jacqui, @kazu, we had the same thing happen twice.  Evidently our car (Toyota) has its wires coated in a product made from soy, and the little rodents love it.  $900 each time to fix!  Now we keep a pan filled with Irish Spring soap under the car and mothballs in the engine...

Cambodia

P1050168.thumb.JPG.32788b0fc61f8060cb53b2a2bac00d12.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 27

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Dermatologist appointment went well. Never really had bad pain because I went right away. But the side effects of the medication 💊 has been a killer. 

Glad it went well.  I hear you on the medication (I’ve taken it and had shingles too), but trust me, shingles full blown is a lot worse than the effects of the medication 😉 

• Like 13

Good morning all. Thanks Rich for our Daily and thanks Roy and all who contribute. Today I am being brave and driving into town for lunch with a friend. It’s a new place I’ve not been to yet but have heard it’s good. Then I will try to get one project done on my “town to do list”. It was cold this morning, down to 52. Is it fall already? And the fires still rage. The bootleg fire has gotten so big it has combined with two others. At least we are sharing with the rest of the nation. I hear New York is enjoying great sunsets due to our smoke. 

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Now we keep a pan filled with Irish Spring soap under the car and mothballs in the engine...

What a good idea Ann.  I’ll pick up some Irish Spring.  I didn’t know you could put mothballs in the engine.  I’d be afraid of doing something to it 😱 I’ll call the service guy to check.  That’s brilliant.

Wow on your costs.  Thankfully mine wasn’t that hefty.

• Like 11

Good morning all!

This morning I have some (hopefully) good news, but some bad news as well 😞  

First the good news. Our young cousin Patricia who is in the hospital learned yesterday that they may try to treat this infected transplanted kidney rather than remove it, which would leave her to rely solely on dialysis to live.  She should hear something today about their decision.  Prayers they can treat it and surgery won't be necessary.

My bad news is that a very good friend in another state was just diagnosed with Covid.  She is fully vaccinated -- so far only fatigue, no other symptoms.  She will go for an antibody infusion tomorrow.  I don't know more than that, I'm wondering if it's a variant, and where she got it.  

@kazuwhat a bummer about the squirrel chewing the wires!  That happened to my dear Dad's car once too.

@summer slopeso glad the shingles meds are working but very sorry about the side effects!

@rafinmdgood luck today at the doctor!

@atexsixgreat news about the possible cat sitter! That's always a relief to have our fur babies well cared for.

Today I will spend the day getting ready to have both grandsons for the weekend -- these 4 days of rest between our weekend getaway and tomorrow are going fast!  🤣

• Like 21

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

apparently squirrels can get in there.  The dealership had a couple of entertaining stories for DH - one about an entire back seat ruined by squirrels going up inside and making a nest.  Holy Cow!

About a month after we bought our new Subaru we had to take it back for a run-through with a rep to explain all the bells & whistles we hadn't figured out.  When we lifted the hood there was a lot of squirrel/mouse droppings throughout the engine compartment -- apparently Subaru used/uses soy something to coat the wires --- say what?   Anyway we were told to put Downy (& only) fabric sheets in the engine compartment as well as 1 in the glove box as they don't like the smell.... so far so good & it's been about a year & half & no further damage..we change the sheets about every 3 months.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

First the good news. Our young cousin Patricia who is in the hospital learned yesterday that they may try to treat this infected transplanted kidney rather than remove it, which would leave her to rely solely on dialysis to live.  

That is good news, indeed.  I hope they can treat it 🙏🏻 and she can keep it.  That would be a miracle.

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

My bad news is that a very good friend in another state was just diagnosed with Covid.  She is fully vaccinated -- so far only fatigue, no other symptoms.

Oh dear. 😔  The vaccination reduces symptoms for most so hopefully she will not have any serious illness.  🙏🏻 

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Thanks Rich for our Daily and thanks Roy and all who contribute. Today I am being brave and driving into town for lunch with a friend. It’s a new place I’ve not been to yet but have heard it’s good. Then I will try to get one project done on my “town to do list”. It was cold this morning, down to 52. Is it fall already? And the fires still rage. The bootleg fire has gotten so big it has combined with two others. At least we are sharing with the rest of the nation. I hear New York is enjoying great sunsets due to our smoke. 

I'm not sure about New York but Maryland got a big cold front last night that pretty well cleared out our smoke.

Roy

• Like 16

1 minute ago, 57redbird said:

About a month after we bought our new Subaru we had to take it back for a run-through with a rep to explain all the bells & whistles we hadn't figured out.  When we lifted the hood there was a lot of squirrel/mouse droppings throughout the engine compartment -- apparently Subaru used/uses soy something to coat the wires --- say what?   Anyway we were told to put Downy (& only) fabric sheets in the engine compartment as well as 1 in the glove box as they don't like the smell.... so far so good & it's been about a year & half & no further damage..we change the sheets about every 3 months.

Wow!!!  Thanks 🙂   I’ll take all the tips and help I can get.  My fear is that now that it has happened once… it will happen again.

• Like 10

Good morning and thanks all, especially Rich!  
The  meal sounds so good I would be happy to have it every night. And hammocks,  lovely!  
We have spent some time in Scotland but need to return soon.  I will look  forward to the photos! 

@USN59-79 along with that view of the cascades I hope they get champagne every night!  

@kazu yikes on the converter!  They’re being stolen here as there is some very valuable metal in them. 

Good news wild Saskatoons are ready, bad news others found them first!  

09CC0AD4-873C-45D5-829E-53285F9FB986.jpeg

• Like 21

I saw this on FB last night and immediately thought of the Daily and National Junk Food Day.

May be an image of fruit and text that says 'Did you know? Replacing your potato chips with grapefruit as a snack you can lose up to 90% of what little joy you still have left in your life.'

@atexsix  Good news that your cat sitter problem is resolving itself.  Hope the nice lady works out.

@Cruising-along Hope the doctors determine they can treat your cousin's kidney so that she does not have to go on dialysis.  Sending good thoughts her way.  Also, sorry your friend had a breakthrough case of covid, and that her case is mild.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

@Cruising-alongSuper good news about your cousin!

@kazuOnce when I took my car in for an oil change they found a dead mouse in the air filter.  The service attendants were so squeamish that I had to go and dispose of poor, departed Mickey.  

Ok, Dailyites, I need some domestic help here.   I wore a brand new top to my picnic on Tuesday and when I was eating my apple, some juice dropped on to the top.  I came straight home, sprayed it with Shout and washed it, but there are still three small, but noticeable stains on it.  So, I soaked it over night in distilled vinegar and water and then washed it again with Biz added.  There are still three small stains, a little faded now, but still noticeable.

What do I do now?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

@kazuOnce when I took my car in for an oil change they found a dead mouse in the air filter.  The service attendants were so squeamish that I had to go and dispose of poor, departed Mickey.  

Ok, Dailyites, I need some domestic help here.   I wore a brand new top to my picnic on Tuesday and when I was eating my apple, some juice dropped on to the top.  I came straight home, sprayed it with Shout and washed it, but there are still three small, but noticeable stains on it.  So, I soaked it over night in distilled vinegar and water and then washed it again with Biz added.  There are still three small stains, a little faded now, but still noticeable.

What do I do now?

Try dawn even though it isn’t grease. The other thing I like to use is oxyclean to soak overnight. Good luck.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Lovely days. I'm at leisure today and will have a refreshment. I don't havve a hammock.

I like the meal and wine. I'll pass on the drink. My BFF brought me chili, so that's dinner tonight.

I haven't been to today's port, nor Scotland at all. Anticipating pictures.

It's very nice here today. Low humidity and in the mid-70's. And the smoke effect from the PNW and Canada is clearing. Windows are open!

I'm feeling pretty good. I slept almost 9 hours last night; I was so tired. Maybe a sedation after effect. So, I'm putting in my drops and wearing my shield. My Ophthalmologist is conservative, so I have to wear it all the time for a week, then a week of bedtime only. I may have some wine tonight; I didn't want to until the sedation meds were totally out of my system.

@rafinmd Wishing you the best with your new health issues.

@summer slope I'm glad you're no longer having pain. Hopefully med side effects go away soon.

@grapau27 I have the same issue with hammocks, lol. The beach looks so enjoyable.

@mamaofami Happy Birthday to David.

@kazu Sorry to hear about the car issue. 

@Cruising-along Good news that they're trying to save your cousin's transplanted kidney. Sorry to hear of your friend's Covid diagnosis. It's good that most breakthrough cases are mild. I've been wearing a mask although fully vaccinated.

@dfish What color is the top? Peroxide often takes out stains, but I'd be wary if the top is a dark color.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone and mask up if need be.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Wow I never knew.  When I used to work on cars there (70's models) there was lots of space for animals to crawl up into.  But when I look under the hood of our Prius, OMG, I can't find anything nor are there any spaces that I can see.  

I think you made the right decision with the actions you took. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

This morning I have some (hopefully) good news, but some bad news as well 😞  

First the good news. Our young cousin Patricia who is in the hospital learned yesterday that they may try to treat this infected transplanted kidney rather than remove it, which would leave her to rely solely on dialysis to live.  She should hear something today about their decision.  Prayers they can treat it and surgery won't be necessary.

My bad news is that a very good friend in another state was just diagnosed with Covid.  She is fully vaccinated -- so far only fatigue, no other symptoms.  She will go for an antibody infusion tomorrow.  I don't know more than that, I'm wondering if it's a variant, and where she got it.  

@kazuwhat a bummer about the squirrel chewing the wires!  That happened to my dear Dad's car once too.

@summer slopeso glad the shingles meds are working but very sorry about the side effects!

@rafinmdgood luck today at the doctor!

@atexsixgreat news about the possible cat sitter! That's always a relief to have our fur babies well cared for.

Today I will spend the day getting ready to have both grandsons for the weekend -- these 4 days of rest between our weekend getaway and tomorrow are going fast!  🤣

Yes!  Crossing my fingers it works out, but she sounded really excited about it, she described herself as a true animal lover and it came out in her enthusiasm rather than someone who just needed a job.

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, dfish said:

Any Oxi-Clean on hand?

Baking Soda can also work wonders.  Make a paste of it - 6 TBSP baking soda with 1/3 cup of warm water (test on the fabric first) then rub the paste onto the stains, let it dry and then put it in the wash.

There’s also rubbing alcohol (I tend to think baking soda is gentler).  But soak it for 15 minutes in 1 quart of lukewarm water, 1/2 tsp of liquid hand washing detergent & 1 TBSP white vinegar.  Rinse and then sponge with rubbing alcohol - make sure the motions are light from the centre to the edge of the stain.  Soak for 30 minutes in quart of warm water with 1 TBSP of enzyme type pre-soak products and then toss in the wash.

Resolve is my stain remover that solves a lot of problems but not all and then you need to “get down and dirty”.

• Like 16

50 minutes ago, dfish said:

What do I do now?

My go-to is Spray & Wash - either the spray or it comes in a container like deodorant -- the latter is great for travel & I feel it works better than the spray.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

My go-to is Spray & Wash - either the spray or it comes in a container like deodorant -- the latter is great for travel & I feel it works better than the spray.

That is what I use, and for tough stains, I put the solid on the stain, then when I'm ready to wash clothes, I also spray the stain. My problem is, it's hard to tell if the stain is out on wet clothes or I forget and dry the item in the dryer, which sets any remaining stain.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1