The Daily for Thursday July 22, 2021

richwmn

14 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui your chewed wire is one thing you can not blame on your local deer!🙃

LOL both deer and squirrels are the bane of my existence 😉  😡 

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Good morning to everyone!  Still cloudy here in the south so you never know if some rain can sneak in on you.  A fine selection of days for us to celebrate today.  I wish I had a hammock to lie in while I enjoyed a cool refreshing glass of peach tea, while I either read a book or napped.  Sometimes napping just naturally follows the book reading. 💤  I was reminded by Pauline's photo in the hammock of a photo I had of two DGSs in a hammock at Castaway Cay (Disney's private island) back in 2013.  Thank goodness the one with the tooth missing now has a full set of perfectly straightened teeth.  He is a high school junior now.  Disney Dream can be seen in the background.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKseW5twZUqwHNENctWFX0Q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Disney has a fabulous private island experience by the way.  The fact that they have a dock makes it so easy for families to go ashore and play all day.  Another cool thing about Disney is in the inside cabins they have a porthole looking screen on the wall over the bed.  The screen plays video of the back of the ship view so you can see the wake while at sea.  But when you're at Castaway Cay you see the view of the island near the end of the dock because the ships always back into the dock there.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLoLiAoIfwKVrEfjJpUa5Sh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

There's a switch by the bed to turn the screen in the porthole off at night if you wish.  And every 20 minutes you can see Disney characters flying past or hanging off the ship to entertain you.  Tinkerbell comes to mind as well as a pirate from Pirates of the Caribbean.  Fascinating!!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKiaSSjD6df4mLmsj2favO9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Well that's enough off topic for today.  I agree with everyone - we had the Garlic Rosemary Beef Tenderloin before but that's okay because I would love it on my menu today.  DH has had the wine of the day on a BHB, but I don't drink red.  @richwmnthank you for the great Daily today.  @rafinmdanother fine job of keeping the lists and I thought the sunset was very pretty today.  Good luck at those doctor appointments.  @summer slopeI'm so happy to hear the medications are helping you.  I should have asked yesterday at the doctor's appointment when we had our shingles shots to see if perhaps we should have the new version, but I forgot.  Will have to remember to do that soon.  @kazuwhat a shame about the little rodents gnawing through your wiring!  I'm not so fond of them myself because of their antics climbing the Christmas light "ladder" when we had them wound around our tree last December.  DH calls them tree rats!  @mamaofamiI hope you have a better day today, and please tell David happy birthday from me.  He is the same age as my DD who had her birthday a month ago.  

Prayers for our people in need on our care list and a toast to all celebrating something.  

As for the port of the day, Stornaway, Scotland I'm sorry I haven't been there before but I am lucky to have visited quite a few interesting ports in Scotland these past couple of years.  We spoke with our DGS's soccer coach at a social event last month while attending the tournament, and he is Scottish with a darling accent to go along with that.  He was so pleased to hear we had visited Scotland many times and we had a great chat about various aspects of the cities we'd seen.  I would love to see some photos taken in Stornaway so please do post some if you can.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.  The sun is trying to peep out of the clouds as I type this so perhaps I will see some blue sky after all!

• Like 27

57 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Quite possibly -- The Daily to this point has contained 473 Meal suggestions, 403 Wine selections, and 324 Drink possibilities. Seems likely that there has been some duplication.

Wow! You actually have this data or do you just go back to Day 1?

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Wow! You actually have this data or do you just go back to Day 1?

I looked back to see when I first added each. Then a spreadsheet feature subtracted the start date from today and gave the answer.

• Like 16

Just now, richwmn said:

I looked back to see when I first added each. Then a spreadsheet feature subtracted the start date from today and gave the answer.

Great! We all appreciate your loyal posting and contributions. Next cruise we are on together, first drink is on me!

• Like 18

Good Morning from a very bright and sunny day at the beach.

Great collection of days. I really enjoy laying in a hammock reading. Does not happen very often!  

Have not been to todays port . Hope to see some pictures.

@summer slopeSo glad that the meds are working.  Shingles is not fun. Thankfully I have never had them, but you have inspired us to get the vaccine, We have appointments tomorrow.

Quiet day here today. Ships start to sail again from Port Canaveral next week. It will be wonderful to see them again. Just hope this variant doesnt mess things up. Although I heard something on the news last night that this is now " the pandemic for the unvaccinated"!  Still have to be careful.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 20

Good morning from central Texas.  All of today's days are worth celebrating. 

When we moved here 22 years ago, we left our hammock behind as the trees it was attached to had grown around the brackets.  @grapau27 Graham, I agree getting in and out of a hammock is an art, but worth the effort.  When our DDs were young, the neighborhood kids would gather in our backyard to play on the hammock.  

I'm not sure about the quote, and agree with @BobbiSox that Channing must not have been on a cruise.

The meal is one that is good enough to repeat.  I thought I'd downloaded  the recipe, now I have another chance to add it to the collection of recipes to try.  @richwmn Rich and @dfish Debbie, some things are worth repeating.

As the drink has gin as an ingredient, I'll pass.  The wine sounds good.  There are some very good Chilean red wines.

We have not been to today's port.  The nearest we've been to the Isle of Lewis was on the Prinsendam in 2016.  Because of rough seas going from the east coast of Scotland to Ireland, Captain Tim Roberts "hid" behind that group of islands where the seas were calmer since there was some leeway in the schedule.

@summer slopeGlad the medicine is working and there is no pain or welts.

@mamaofami. Carol, Happy Birthday to your son David.

@aliaschief. Sorry you had to cancel your trip, but it's probably the wisest thing to do. 

@kazu Jacqui, sorry the squirrels messed with your car.

@cunnorl Even though the  Delta variant is affecting mainly the unvacinnated, there have been too many vaccinated that have breakthrough cases, with some being hospitalized and even dying according to the news.

I not sure what I'll be doing today, but will probably be what was planned for yesterday, since life got in the way yesterday.

To all in the Daily family, please be careful and still take precautions against this horrible virus.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23

Good  morning on  a  slightly  cooler day  with  a  little  breeze-perfect  for   a  hammock. All  of  the  days  are  festive  and  can  be  observed easily  here. The  recipe  is  a  good  one and  I  tend  to  repeat  my  dinner offerings  often. I  am  the  cook  so  I  can  do  it!

I  would  love  to  go  to  the  Isle  of  Lewis  but  once  again  it  is  in  my  dreams. Looking   forward  to  pictures.

@kazu, sorry  about  your  car troubles. Hopefully  all  is  well  now.

I  just  returned  from  dropping  my  ancient  vehicle off  at  the  local  mechanic  for  inspection. It  is  only  a  4  block  walk  home. It  was  so  busy  there  that  I  initially  was  double  parked  on  a  pretty  busy  street. We  waited  to  be  checked  in  for a  half  an  hour. I  actually  enjoyed  the  wait  because  the  people  with  me  on  line were  very  talkative. This  is  not  a  usual  thing  in  NY! I  found  out  all  sorts  of  interesting  things  about  cars,schools,workplaces  and  the  like.

@mamaofami, my DD  is  the  same  age  and  she  has  always  been  a  lot  of  fun. Happy  Birthday  to  David

Terry

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  The last hammock I laid in was on Half Moon Cay - DH brought me a drink and it was idyllic.  Any day around here can be Summer Leisure Day, but there's always something to do around the house or yard; I guess you just have to make time - or rather take the time do just do nothing for a while.  To celebrate National Refreshment Day, we'll have our Aperol Spritzes this afternoon before starting dinner.

I've had today's wine selection - and quite enjoyed it, as it's a nice red.    I think Mr. Channery needs to get away.

Cruise.thumb.jpg.6c0c97b57e49a79dab4b6ea8bed2c30d.jpg

@mamaofami Happy Birthday to your DS!

@kazu - ugh on the squirrel chewing through the wiring.  Our neighbour has found pine cones in the engine compartment of his truck . . . he was not amused.

@summer slope I'm happy to hear the pain has gone for you.

@rafinmd good luck at the doctor today.

It's a beautiful day on the "frozen tundra" today, with temps expected only to hit 32C (88F), but we've got this stuff in the air - humidity.  I'm not sure what to do with it, as all it seems to do is make me sticky and flattens my hair!  I wish there was enough humidity that it rained, but sadly, it's not in the forecast - at least for the next 7 days.  Our water bill is going to be huge this month just to keep the yard from looking like a barren desert.

I've made today's menu suggestion, but used a pork tenderloin instead.  I cooked it in the slow cooker on low (browned it on all sides in a cast iron pan before putting it in the SC), and let it go.  It was delicious.  I didn't make the sauce to go with it, as I don't care for horseradish . . . the cook gets what the cook wants.  LOL  For us though, tonight will be fish - our neighbour went fishing yesterday and gave us some lovely pickerel fillets.  I'll be dredging them in flour, salt & pepper and frying them in some butter on the side burner of the bbq tonight.  Added to that will be a tossed salad and some grilled asparagus for a light summer meal.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the refreshment glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning everyone.

It is supposed to be a nice day today here in northeast Ohio with abundant sunshine and a high temperature of 75 degrees.  It should be very pleasant.  

No big plans for today other than going to the pool.  I guess I could sweep the floors as they do need it.  There is always some housework that needs to be done.  

Today's meal sounds wonderful for that special meal with guests.   Haven't we had this before?

Garlic-Rosemary-Beef-TenderloinIMG_1412.thumb.jpg.1e1850ad6395c40f18c337e96450a277.jpg

https://damndelicious.net/2020/12/18/garlic-rosemary-beef-tenderloin/

That meal looks mouthwatering. Thanks for the picture.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Love swinging in a Hammock, I'm retired so every day is leisure day and I'll have a refreshment or two to celebrate today.  I'm not sure about the quote.  The meal sounds great.  Follow up appointment with the derm today.  Shingles are still evident but no welts or pain.  Thank goodness for the drugs.

Prayers and virtual hugs to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Wolfram:

1/3 Gin 1/3 Wolfschmidt 1/3 Dry Vermouth 1/6 Lemon Juice Shake well and serve in a cocktail glass or on the rocks.

Wolfram is an English cocktail made with a combination of gin, dry vermouth, lemon juice, and Wolfschmidt vodka, hence the name. In order to prepare it, equal parts gin, vodka, and vermouth should be shaken with lemon juice, then served in a cocktail glass or on the rocks.

968725946_ScreenShot2021-07-22at6_56_51AM.png.7a81988f40b3fc9904be054e91202a16.png

I am glad the pain is gone.  Hope the appointment goes well.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  A great collection of days and an interesting quote by Channing.  I've been to several quaint Scottish ports on the Elegant Explorer, but not Stornoway.  I love today's meal suggestion.  I had a gap of several days in 2011 between disembarking MS Rotterdam in Rotterdam and boarding MS Prinsendam in London/Tilbury.  My next couple of meals will be from the Rotterdam July 16 menu.  On that day we had the Mariner's brunch (beef) and I dined at Canaletto in the evening.  Today's alternate menu suggestion is what I would have had if I had been in the dining room, Fresh Fruit Cup, Ziti with Prosciutto and Lemon Olive Oil, and Fruit Jello.

Rehab this morning and primary doctor this afternoon.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
Cruising Along’s cousin needing new kidney
DurangoScots shelter manager in ICU
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV recovering from eye surgery
Ger_77's friend facing mastectomy

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina undergoing radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers
Atexsix recapping the Seattle fleet
Welcome home kplady
Good eye report on Jazzyv
Good oncology report on Sharon’s mom
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Denise on her wilderness adventure
NextOne booked for Panama Canal
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the Care and Shout Out lists.  Hope all goes well with the primary care doctor.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I have a sunset today, not a sunrise.  It's from my 2007 upper Amazon cruise, taken shortly after boarding La Amatista in Iquitos 14 years ago today.

IMG_0127.thumb.JPG.1b1789a6a9210926d3af1

Roy

Thank you for a FANTASTIC picture!  It made me catch my breath!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning,

Love the days.  They all fit together well.  I don't manage a hammock well but enjoy it when I finally maneuver into one!!  LOL!

Interesting quote.  There is some truth behind it.  

Haven't been to the port and will enjoy the pictures.  

We both got our first shot of the newer shingles shot about 2 months ago. Received one years ago and were encouraged to get the newer one.   Very sore arms but nothing else.  Were told that the second may cause some side effects similar to the flu.  I received my second at the same time as I got a tetanus shot.  One shot in the right arm and other in the left.  No problems from the second shingles shot except a little soreness.  Arm with the tetanus shot much more sore!!  But glad both are done.  DH has yet to schedule his second shot. 

Beautiful day here.  Calm ocean and very low tide.  Can walk out quite a way under the bridge.  

Will be a busy day...cleaning floors today..needs to be done.  Still finding legos from when the grandkids were here!!  

Think I will go get my walk in now while neighborhood is quiet.  

Stay well and safe.  Wear your masks. 

Have an awesome day.🤗 🌷 🌊

• Like 20

Another beautiful day in Western Washington.  We are fortunate that the prevailing winds come from the ocean, so there is no problem with smoke here.  I have a suggestion of anyone has a warning light for their catalytic converter.  You should be able to just drive it to the dealer to have it checked; no tow is necessary.  I suspect that what quit working was the oxygen sensor in that area, not the catalytic converter itself.

We are invited to a free barbecue at a senior living area this afternoon.  Will give us a chance to check out what is involved with that type of community.  Their prices seem kind of ridiculous: You pay an entrance fee of roughly $300K and then a monthly fee of about $6K to stay there for a two bedroom apartment.  They have been sending us advertising for a couple of years, so we are mildly interested.

Ray

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich for the Fleet report. I can't wait to see our ships sailing with happy hammock loving passengers!

image.png.fd1a97aa55da487188ae738c30ff7fbf.png

image.png.ece8891177220bd060cbbed73e65fa56.png

Love the meal suggestion. I need to decide what dinner will look like tonight.

Healing prayers to those in need of them. Cheers and blessings!

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 24
  • Haha 1

Good morning.

Busy day today, I have a doc appointment just after lunch for medication management, I hope there isn't too much traffic, I usually do morning appointments.  

Thanks to all the listers.  @richwmn I've only been visiting the daily for a couple of months, so everything is new 😁 @kazu sorry about the squirrel, I don't think I've ever heard of as squirrel getting in there, only smaller rodents.  I got ants in my car a couple times when I lived in the warm muggy south, not a pleasant experience!

!~!~!~!~!~! BON VOYAGE to everybody sailing Saturday!~!~!~!~!~!

Good news with our kitty, I think I found a sitter.  In fact after 4 attempts that led nowhere over the last month, I suddenly had 3 offers by last night, wouldn't you know it?  I will be meeting one nice lady next week and I have a good feeling about her.  She'll be able to come in twice per day which is the ideal as we all discussed yesterday.  She'll also water a couple plants for us.

Have a great day everybody!

• Like 21

8 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Another beautiful day in Western Washington.  We are fortunate that the prevailing winds come from the ocean, so there is no problem with smoke here.  I have a suggestion of anyone has a warning light for their catalytic converter.  You should be able to just drive it to the dealer to have it checked; no tow is necessary.  I suspect that what quit working was the oxygen sensor in that area, not the catalytic converter itself.

We are invited to a free barbecue at a senior living area this afternoon.  Will give us a chance to check out what is involved with that type of community.  Their prices seem kind of ridiculous: You pay an entrance fee of roughly $300K and then a monthly fee of about $6K to stay there for a two bedroom apartment.  They have been sending us advertising for a couple of years, so we are mildly interested.

Ray

I hope you have a 180 view of the Cascades at that price.....sheesh!!

• Like 10