Is Royal Caribbean trying to get all Canadians to cancel their planned cruises?

24 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

And people wonder why there are so many who are Covid vaccine hesitant? 

why would this make anyone vaccine hesitant?  IMO...no discussion....they should just get over themselves and vaccinate....no downside except some want to show their rebellion to authority and potentially hurt themselves in the process.  My health, and others' around me, is more important.  As it relates to cruising RC...regulation as to immunization was just as plain as can be.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

So you are saying that if you asked lots of people in the middle of Alabama or Missouri why are hesitant to get the Covid vaccinations they would say it's because some Canadians are having issues getting approved to cruise even though they are fully vaccinated back home in Canada? 

It is far more likely that they would say ...... What is a Canada?

If indeed a US citizen in the south would say "what is a Canada", it would show more ignorance than what they're guilty of.  They know who and what we are, and what we as a nation stand for. And we abundantly know who our neighbours are.  We are co-dependent and the sooner we all protect ourselves through immunization the more 'normality' we'll enjoy.

18 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Yes...Scotland has been receiving AZ....as I showed in the graph above, few in Canada have.  I posted this from the Royal C board.....when a poster asked the question....

Letter I just recieved (sic)

Thank you for contacting the executive office of Royal Caribbean International. Mr. Bayley received your email and I am pleased to respond on his behalf.

In response to your inquiry regarding the protocols for your cruise on the Allure of the Seas sailing on August 22, 2021. As long as both vaccines are from the same manufacturer, then the doses can be more than 42 days apart. You will be considered vaccinated.

Mr. xxxxxxx, thank you again for having contacted the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

Sincerely,

Laura *****
Executive Office
Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

As the individual who started this thread, I would like to post one final time to close this thread.

The answer above is the one we were all seeking.  Several people have posted Tweets here and on Facebook from Michael Bayley himself with the answer - thanks to all of you who have done this.

I too received the same letter yesterday that is posted above.  Personally, I feel much better and confident now though that I have a personal letter addressed directly to me from the CEO's executive office stating I am considered FULLY VACCINATED and welcoming me aboard.  Twelve days until we fly from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale and 15 days until we board the Odyssey of the Seas. 

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread and especially those who reached out to RCCL directly to help resolve this issue.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

why would this make anyone vaccine hesitant?  IMO...no discussion....they should just get over themselves and vaccinate....no downside except some want to show their rebellion to authority and potentially hurt themselves in the process.  My health, and others' around me, is more important.  As it relates to cruising RC...regulation as to immunization was just as plain as can be.

Get over themselves and vaccinate with what? Some Canadians did just that and are now being told they can't travel because of it. Being in my 40's I was offered the AZ and I took it, many of my friends as well. When we found out that it was being discontinued in Canada and that the mRNA vaccines were now being given as second dose instead we could tell there were problems ahead. Long story short my brother and I travelled almost an hour to get our second doses of AZ at a 9 week interval. So I'm now considered fully vaccinated by Royal Caribbean whereas the people in my circle who told me to get over myself and just get the second Pfizer or Moderna closer to home are not. 

Now, my wife has had both Pfizer shots but 58 days apart. We're already checking out land based vacations in Canada.....lots of good choices. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

So you are saying that if you asked lots of people in the middle of Alabama or Missouri why are hesitant to get the Covid vaccinations they would say it's because some Canadians are having issues getting approved to cruise even though they are fully vaccinated back home in Canada? 

It is far more likely that they would say ...... What is a Canada?

I'm saying that the more controversy surrounding the vaccines the more hesitancy it creates.  

1 hour ago, Russ Lomas said:

As the individual who started this thread, I would like to post one final time to close this thread.

The answer above is the one we were all seeking.  Several people have posted Tweets here and on Facebook from Michael Bayley himself with the answer - thanks to all of you who have done this.

I too received the same letter yesterday that is posted above.  Personally, I feel much better and confident now though that I have a personal letter addressed directly to me from the CEO's executive office stating I am considered FULLY VACCINATED and welcoming me aboard.  Twelve days until we fly from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale and 15 days until we board the Odyssey of the Seas. 

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread and especially those who reached out to RCCL directly to help resolve this issue.

I'm hoping this is not the end of it and they also allow mixed doses. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Get over themselves and vaccinate with what? Some Canadians did just that and are now being told they can't travel because of it. Being in my 40's I was offered the AZ and I took it, many of my friends as well. When we found out that it was being discontinued in Canada and that the mRNA vaccines were now being given as second dose instead we could tell there were problems ahead. Long story short my brother and I travelled almost an hour to get our second doses of AZ at a 9 week interval. So I'm now considered fully vaccinated by Royal Caribbean whereas the people in my circle who told me to get over myself and just get the second Pfizer or Moderna closer to home are not. 

Now, my wife has had both Pfizer shots but 58 days apart so time will tell what she'll be considered. We're already checking out land based vacations in Canada.....lots of good choices. 

We are in NB and hubby was trying to get me to take whatever first dose we could get.  I wanted Pfizer or Modera and knew I did not want AZ under any circumstances.  I was 44 and he was 46.  We ended up with Pfizer as the first.

NB then started pushing Moderna as the second dose because of the Pfizer shortage.  When it came time that we could register for dose 2, hubby again started saying we should take whatever we can get.  I held out for a location I knew had Pfizer because I could see the writing on the wall regarding travel issues and really wanted the same vaccine for both.  We got dose two maybe a week after we could have gotten Moderna.

I am so glad I held my ground and made him get Pfizer for #2 as well.  

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Canadian Disney Mom said:

We are in NB and hubby was trying to get me to take whatever first dose we could get.  I wanted Pfizer or Modera and new I did not want AZ under any circumstances.  I was 44 and he was 46.  We ended up with Pfizer as the first.

NB then started pushing Moderna as the second dose because of the Pfizer shortage.  When it came time that we could register for dose 2, hubby again started saying we should take whatever we can get.  I held out for a location I knew had Pfizer because I could see the writing on the wall regarding travel issues and really wanted the same vaccine for both.  We got dose two maybe a week after we could have gotten Moderna.

That's awesome!! In Ontario there was a big campaign to try to get people to stop "vaccine shopping" (turning down a certain brand when offered) but it was so clear that problems would lie ahead. When the time came for my wife's second shot she went in fully prepared to walk out if it wasn't Pfizer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, topnole said:

This is one interview.  It was said many times by many folks.  There have been articles about the “mistakes” they made in the original communication.  I flew just before they shut everything down and I was watching closely.  They (govt leaders of the scientific community) were most definitely stating that masks weren’t needed for average people.  Of course I didn’t buy there nonsensical argument then not do I trust their communication now.  One thing is clear, the CDC and Fauci are very good at sending mixed messages and are happy to create policy that doesn’t follow scientific findings when it is convenient.   This isn’t a myth and it hasn’t been debunked. 

YES - and then Covid actually got here and they said WEAR MASKS.  It's bizarre to me that people keep referencing those first statements as if nothing ever changed.  The word 'debunked' was the incorrect word to use - but the idea that what was said in March 2020 was never changed is indeed a conspiracy theory that has been going around since then.

Is there someone at the World Health Organization to contact to encourage they publish a mixed vaccine regimen as an approved vaccination series? Seems if you could possibly get the WHO to say the mix along with the lengthier period inbetween is acceptable, the published protocols in place would automatically accommodate it. All things considered that may be an easier approach to consider trying.

11 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Is there someone at the World Health Organization to contact to encourage they publish a mixed vaccine regimen as an approved vaccination series? Seems if you could possibly get the WHO to say the mix along with the lengthier period inbetween is acceptable, the published protocols in place would automatically accommodate it. All things considered that may be an easier approach to consider trying.

This is Prime Minister Trudeau and his fellow elected official’s job. Dr Tam, think Canadian Fauci, should be leading the charge.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Might be easier to just wait for the upcoming booster shot protocol.

11 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Might be easier to just wait for the upcoming booster shot protocol.

Sometimes a letter plants an idea that takes root and gets a problem resolved. And at what cost is a letter asking for something to be looked at?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canadian Disney Mom said:

We are in NB and hubby was trying to get me to take whatever first dose we could get.  I wanted Pfizer or Modera and knew I did not want AZ under any circumstances.  I was 44 and he was 46.  We ended up with Pfizer as the first.

We did not want AZ as well even though it was plentiful in the beginning. Got Pfizer as 1st dose and waited to get Pfizer for 2nd as there started to be rumblings of issues of mixed doses and travelling. In addition, I personally just wanted the same for both doses, so would have waited regardless. 

55 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

That's awesome!! In Ontario there was a big campaign to try to get people to stop "vaccine shopping" (turning down a certain brand when offered) but it was so clear that problems would lie ahead. When the time came for my wife's second shot she went in fully prepared to walk out if it wasn't Pfizer. 

We are in Ontario too and did just that…walked out of 3 spots until we could secure Pfizer. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dswallow said:

Sometimes a letter plants an idea that takes root and gets a problem resolved. And at what cost is a letter asking for something to be looked at?

That is true and I believe it's already in the works as mixed vaccine protocols are currently being used in many Countries. In the end it will probably be all sorted with boosters anyway. Pfizer is already lobbying for boosters.....they're coming. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OACAggie said:

We did not want AZ as well even though it was plentiful in the beginning. Got Pfizer as 1st dose and waited to get Pfizer for 2nd as there started to be rumblings of issues of mixed doses and travelling. In addition, I personally just wanted the same for both doses, so would have waited regardless. 

We are in Ontario too and did just that…walked out of 3 spots until we could secure Pfizer. 

I believe you made the smartest decision. To go one step further my wife and I made a conscious decision for one of us to get the Viral Vector (AZ) and for the other to get an mRNA (didn't matter which one as long as both doses were the same) just in case there were problems in the future with severe side effects as we have 2 girls aged 2 and 4. We do believe they're safe but there really is no long term data on them yet so we don't know 100% and none have full approval yet. 

I know quite a few people who will gladly get their shots once they have full approval and not before. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I believe you made the smartest decision. To go one step further my wife and I made a conscious decision for one of us to get the Viral Vector (AZ) and for the other to get an mRNA (didn't matter which one as long as both doses were the same) just in case there were problems in the future with severe side effects as we have 2 girls aged 2 and 4. We do believe they're safe but there really is no long term data on them yet so we don't know 100% and none have full approval yet. 

I know quite a few people who will gladly get their shots once they have full approval and not before. 

They are fully approved in Canada 

they were approved under Expedited Review of Health Product Submissions and Applications to address COVID-19 https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/drug-products/announcements/notice-expediated-review-health-products-covid-19.html

32 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

They are fully approved in Canada 

they were approved under Expedited Review of Health Product Submissions and Applications to address COVID-19 https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/drug-products/announcements/notice-expediated-review-health-products-covid-19.html

"Interim Order"

"On March 18, 2020, the Minister of Health approved an Interim Order Respecting the Importation and Sale of Medical Devices for Use in Relation to COVID-19. The interim order will enable an expedited review of medical devices indicated to diagnose, treat, mitigate or prevent COVID-19, at no cost."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/authorization/list-drugs.html

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

"Interim Order"

"On March 18, 2020, the Minister of Health approved an Interim Order Respecting the Importation and Sale of Medical Devices for Use in Relation to COVID-19. The interim order will enable an expedited review of medical devices indicated to diagnose, treat, mitigate or prevent COVID-19, at no cost."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/authorization/list-drugs.html

The interim order allows for expedited review of medical devices indicated to diagnose, treat, mitigate or prevent COVID-19, at no cost.

but does not  say the meds are only good for temporary use

i guess we would need a government official  to interpret the act😁

7 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

The interim order allows for expedited review of medical devices indicated to diagnose, treat, mitigate or prevent COVID-19, at no cost.

but does not  say the meds are only good for temporary use

i guess we would need a government official  to interpret the act😁

It's all right there for all to see.....

"ISAD IO in effect until September 16, 2021

The Minister of Health-approved interim order to import, sell and advertise drugs during COVID-19 took effect on September 16, 2020. This interim order, known as ISAD IO, provided a temporary emergency authorization for COVID-19 drugs to address the pandemic.

The ISAD IO introduced temporary regulatory tools to expedite the authorization and licensing for importing, selling and advertising COVID-19-related drugs and vaccines without compromising standards for patient safety. Please refer to the Information and application requirements for drugs authorized under the interim order guidance document.

The ISAD IO ends on September 16, 2021."

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/updated-requirements-drug-authorization-notice.html#a2

4 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Long story short my brother and I travelled almost an hour to get our second doses of AZ at a 9 week interval. So I'm now considered fully vaccinated by Royal Caribbean whereas the people in my circle who told me to get over myself and just get the second Pfizer or Moderna closer to home are not. 

Now, my wife has had both Pfizer shots but 58 days apart. We're already checking out land based vacations in Canada.....lots of good choices. 

If both of you are considered fully vaccinated by Royal Caribbean, why are you checking out land based vacations in Canada?  

I mean, if that's what you want to do, that's fine.... but you can both cruise as vaccinated.

Edited by brillohead
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If both of you are considered fully vaccinated by Royal Caribbean, why are you checking out land based vacations in Canada?  

I mean, if that's what you want to do, that's fine.... but you can both cruise as vaccinated.

Good question and I have 2 reasons.

1. Because we have 2 kids aged 4 and 2 who can't be vaccinated yet and will be treated as unvaccinated. Not complaining by any means about that, just a fact. 

2. I fully expect the borders to be closed again real soon (who knows if it will actually even open when they say it will) and who knows when they'll open up again. 

1 minute ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Good question and I have 2 reasons.

1. Because we have 2 kids aged 4 and 2 who can't be vaccinated yet and will be treated as unvaccinated. Not complaining by any means about that, just a fact. 

2. I fully expect the borders to be closed again real soon (who knows if it will actually even open when they say it will) and who knows when they'll open up again. 

Gotcha -- didn't know about the kids, and that makes perfect sense.  Just based on the post I quoted, it sounded like the two of you only.  

Thanks for the response! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I wish it was closed.  There are still a great many of us who can't sail under the current requirements, even with this clarification.

Genuinely glad it has been resolved for you though!

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Gotcha -- didn't know about the kids, and that makes perfect sense.  Just based on the post I quoted, it sounded like the two of you only.  

Thanks for the response! 

If I knew for certain that the borders would be open I would have zero hesitation with leaving the kids with my parents for the week and going with just the two of us.  Problem with that is my parents are booked to cruise with us and it would be super rude hahaha. True story. 

• Haha 2