Deja Vu all over again....EDGE sailing Eastern Caribbean in S2-8/17-8/24

graphicguy

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

PROTOCOLS

Vaccines required for anyone over 12 years old (personally, I’d rather they make it a requirement for anyone over 2 years old).  

So I assume you know that there isn't even an Emergency Use Authorization for anyone from 2-12 years right now. If you mean that kids shouldn't be cruising right now, I understand that completely. Celebrity is basically saying anyone who has the ability to get a vaccine must get one. Me personally, I am fine with that.

Had a great time with you again. In late September, I will try to repay the favor.

• Like 2

Every morning when I woke up, I walked out to my balcony to see the crew maneuvering the ship and observing conditions from this perch, which was just above and just to the left of my cabin (10102).

Like clockwork, they'd wave.....

IMG_0585.jpeg

I just booked that cabin on the Edge for the 2/6/22 Eastern…how did you like that stateroom?

• Like 1

Martini Bar Shows.....

LOVE the Martini bar crew!! They are the best! Their shows are entertaining, their drinks are delicious, and although they are typically too busy to chat, we were there one afternoon when it wasn’t too busy and enjoyed talking to them. Oka was kind enough to give me feedback and advice about our first transatlantic sailing we booked on the Beyond.

Graphicguy - Thank you for taking the time to post and allow us to live vicariously through you. You have a great writing style.

• Like 1

We think alike in that regard.  I only heard a couple of the guests talking down to the crew.  One was "coffee lady".  The other was someone in Luminae stating her fish had too much salt.  Waiter profusely apologized and said he wold bring her another serving and tell the chef to use less salt.  It could not have been more than 5 minutes later he brought out another dish.  Lady berated him again telling him she was no longer hungry and to just take it back.  

Not that it mattered, but I made eye contact and did the "wrinkled brow stare" at her.  I'm sure it didn't matter to her.  On subsequent nights, I requested another table further away from here whenever I saw her.  

It just goes to show that some people are morons and just like to complain and berate people.  I'm sure she had no clue what your "wrinkled brow stare" meant at all.  

Glad you enjoyed your second Edge cruise.  I really enjoyed reading both of your "live from" threads.  Now you need to try some of Celebrity's other ships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcpc said:

It just goes to show that some people are morons and just like to complain and berate people.  I'm sure she had no clue what your "wrinkled brow stare" meant at all.  

Glad you enjoyed your second Edge cruise.  I really enjoyed reading both of your "live from" threads.  Now you need to try some of Celebrity's other ships.

Or it proves some people should just mind their own business😉😃

12 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Celebrity has me. Have to tame my wander lust for a bit.  But, will keep one eye open for any Celebrity “deals” over the next 6-12 months.

I'm sure you meant to say "6 -12 weeks"?

🤣

In all seriousness, thanks for all of your posts.  They were all amazing.

It was so nice to join you, virtually.

I think you should send a copy of your recent review post (#329) to Celebrity - it's really beautiful.

Thank you again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Humble thanks to all of you for following along.  The only reason I post here is to hopefully help others to choose, plan and make decisions about the cruise.

Some of us here came out of the shutdown with both barrels firing….me being just one! Some had a different experience than me. But, if you couldn’t tell by the posts of both my EDGE cruises, they were fantastic.

FINAL THOUGHTS….

EDGE

Simply, it is a beautiful ship….probably the nicest I’ve ever been on, and that includes some nice ships like the Anthem of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, NCL Escape, and MSC Merivigila.  The EDGE topped them all.  While I don’t understand the negative I’ve read in these threads about Captain Kate, I believe she’s a probably the crown jewel in the Celebrity Fleet.  I assume Richard Fain knows this, too.  She’s dynamic, personable, clearly a leader.  In addition to being obviously a sterling Mariner, she’s also a communication juggxrnaught, with TikTok, FaceBook, etc presences.  Said it before, I think she’s destined to even bigger things, if Royal Caribbean Holdings knows what they’ve got.  If not, she could easily go anywhere she wants and achieve anything she wants.

SERVICE

I know the crew I spoke with were all anxious to get back to work.  Everyone of them I spoke to reiterated similar stories.  They waited, and waited, and waited for the call to get back on board.  When that happened, they didn’t hesitate.  EVERY crew member I ran across, EVERY DAY never failed to say Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening.  They genuinely wanted me to be happy.  That said, there must be some sort of compensation tied to getting good surveys (which I just finished this a.m.).  Without exception, they all asked for my preference of “10s” on the survey, and if I could not give “10s” to let them know how they could make it a “10”.

Unfortunately, some tried to hold some crew hostage with that.  I overheard one lady who used the survey as ammunition.  Apparently, when room service brought her coffee one morning, it was “too hot” coming out of the carafe. She was bending the ear about this and the SURVEY to one of the Concierges.  I felt badly for him as he was patiently listening to her litany of complaints (all minor and all petty).  All the while, she was saying she didn’t know how she could give anyone a “10”.  We all know how this works.  Unless there is something egregious that would keep us from giving service personnel “10s”, we understand it’s tied to their reviews, if not their compensation.  So, we gladly do it.  Some people.

Bottom line, the service we received was exemplary….across the board.  Best I’ve had on any cruise ship (and that includes sailing in the Haven on NCL and Yacht Club on MSC).  Was it different in the Retreat than it was on the rest of the ship?  Not according to those I spoke with who were staying in different cabins than me.

FOOD….you know, this go round I ate in Luminae, Ocenview Cafe, and one of the main dining rooms (Tuscan). Frankly, I enjoyed all of them.  Do you get the same attentive service in the Oceanview Cafe as you get in Luminae?  Of course not.  But, from the food to the service I always felt I got more than I was expecting. We’re there things I didn’t like?  Sure.  Some foods that sounded good, just weren’t agreeable to my palate.  That didn’t mean they were poor.  Just that I didn’t like them (which I’m sure someone else did). IN ALL THE DIFFERENT VENUES, SERVICE WAS AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN I EXPECTED.

ENTERTAINMENT….this one is what I was most surprised by.  I think I went to EVERY evening show in the Theater.  It came away impressed.  Did not enjoy Divas 3 as much as I thought I would. But, that was more of a function of my tastes.  Not into overly dramatic musical renditions of anything, which is what the show was all about.

It surprised me because I always enjoyed the big, bombastic shows on NCL and RCL.  The EDGE shows were smaller, but no less talent rich.  Plus, EDGE had more variety.  If you didn’t like the disco the Martini Bar,  I could go to to EDEN for acoustic music, or spend the afternoon listening to solo artists, or listening to the house band (which was excellent, by the way) with was a  tight 7 piece group that played just about everything.  Martini Bar mixologists gave a show every day.

There is not a bad seat in any venue for any show.  This may be a function of only sailing with 1,000 guests.  But, in the theater I sat in various places…upfront, last few rows, up in the balcony….not a bad seat in the house.  Same goes for Martini Bar.

Pools were not crowded, no matter if I was at the main pool or the Retreat pool or the Solarium (especially the Solarium).

The ship was impeccably clean.  I never saw ONE plate in the hallways from room service.  I didn’t see one stray glass left on one table anywhere on the ship….EVER!  I didn’t even see one smudge or the smallest of stains on the floor.  It’s the cleanest venue of any type I’ve ever seen, where there is always public traipsing through.

Again, being in the Retreat, my dis/embarkation was simple and quick.  From what I gathered, it was quite orderly and efficient for everyone else, too.

EXCURSIONS

Really didn’t expect much from excursions.  And honestly, they weren’t necessarily all that ambitious. But, I enjoyed them.  NASSAU is what it is.  It’s not ready for Prime Time, IMHO.  It’s a few months away.  We weren’t docked there more than a few hours, anyway.  And, I’m surprised we docked there at all, except maybe there are some contractural arrangements that must be adhered to.  Personally, I‘D rather skip NASSAU for another sea day.  St Martin (sunset catamaran cruise) and St Thomas (Double Decker Bus Tour) were surprisingly enjoyable.  Booked both with Celebrity given I don’t know the protocols in each place, nor what I could have expected for any 3rd party tour.

PROTOCOLS

Celebrity is doing this the right way. I know initially there was some confusion about having negative COVID tests to sail.  I think they figured it out quickly, though.  No need for hand wringing.  Rapid ID and PCR tests are accepted.  Vaccines required for anyone over 12 years old (personally, I’d rather they make it a requirement for anyone over 2 years old).  Get used to it.  It’s going to be just like providing proof that you don’t have Noro or any other communicable disease before boarding.  I applaud Celebrity.  They’re getting it done, week in/week out.  And, every sailing they’re getting better at it.

THE RUBBER MEETS THE ROAD

I was shoved aside by NCL.  I was never a Carnival fan (but will sail with a cheap enough rate).  Royal?  It seems they are still trying to get their footing since the start up.  Will probably sit out with them for another year or so.

Will try to do a compare/contrast to NCL’s Haven.

Celebrity has me. Have to tame my wander lust for a bit.  But, will keep one eye open for any Celebrity “deals” over the next 6-12 months.

Will sift through other odd pics and try to answer any questions I may have missed where I can.

Thanks to all of you for encouraging me.  👏 

This is with less than 40% passenger capacity and from what I’ve read, grossly over staffed compared to the number of passengers. If or when things back to normal and they sail at 100+% capacity, with normal staffing, it will be interesting to see if the reviews are as glowing. I wouldn’t count on it.

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

This is with less than 40% passenger capacity and from what I’ve read, grossly over staffed compared to the number of passengers. If or when things back to normal and they sail at 100+% capacity, with normal staffing, it will be interesting to see if the reviews are as glowing. I wouldn’t count on it.

For some aspects yes but for others no.  Now the Apex's recent sailing in Greece was like 10% pax capacity and I'm surprised they even sailed with that little.  Supposedly on the Edge, the suites were nearly 100% capacity.  I was on an Edge July sailing as a non-suite guest which was around 55% capacity which was the last sailing which didn't require a covid test and the crew didn't have to wear masks.  The MDR experience wasn't different, rather than space parties apart they were cramming parties next to each other.  This was even mentioned on Capt Kates Q&A, "X is stacking people on top of each other on the MDR".  Furthermore, the specialty restaurants were full yet its still easy to get on a no show list.  There were advantages to the reduced capacity particularly finding open seating whether the hot tub, buffet, theater or grabbing a bar seat.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Duke95 said:

So I assume you know that there isn't even an Emergency Use Authorization for anyone from 2-12 years right now. If you mean that kids shouldn't be cruising right now, I understand that completely. Celebrity is basically saying anyone who has the ability to get a vaccine must get one. Me personally, I am fine with that.

Had a great time with you again. In late September, I will try to repay the favor.

Thanks!

You are correct.  That’s “my opinion”.  I don’t believe Celebrity lends itself very well to couples with small children.  So, why subject them to a cruise where there isn’t much for them to do when there are other better alternatives for them?  I wouldn’t even mind Celebrity going the Virgin Cruises route and making their cruises 12 years old and up.

Overall, and at least until children can be vaccinated, I think all the cruise lines should forego small children as passengers.   There are places where they can social distance easier rather than a cruise ship that are open to them until they are vaccinated.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Susanb10567 said:

I just booked that cabin on the Edge for the 2/6/22 Eastern…how did you like that stateroom?

I liked it.  There was only one other cabin that was more forward than mine (10000), and I don't think it was occupied...at least I never saw them, nor were they ever on their balcony when I was on mine (which was quite bit).

Forward is the position where the Retreat Lounge, Pool, Bar, and Luminae  are located (just on different decks).  So, they were easy to get to.  Even the Theater was FWD, just lower down (5?).  The only AFT area of interest was Oceanview Cafe.

Plus, every a.m. while sucking down coffee from room service in my balcony, I was fascinated to watch the crew at work in the observation area I had a vantage point from there.  Early one a.m. I observed one crew member for about an hour.  She left and I saw her later on in the day walking on one of the other decks.  She was only in her shirt.  As is typical, she said good afternoon as we passed.  I stopped and asked her if she lost her jacket.  She said she had and then quizzed me about how I knew.  I showed her this pic and told here where my cabin was.  She laughed and thanked me profusely.

IMG_0586.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Every crew member I spoke with, on both cruises, were sort of chomping at the bit for full capacity cruises to start.  As they all told me, they were used to being much busier and having a full ship made their shifts pass quicker.

These are seasoned crew.  I'm betting they'll offer the same level of service at 100% as they do at 50%.

• Like 6

More cabin....while it was a big cabin for just a solo, for 2 it would be perfect.  Plenty of closest space.  More than enough outlets.  And, I really did love how the bed faced the balcony, and the bathroom window overlooking the same balcony.  Loved taking a shower overlooking the water.

Plus, the first thing I did when waking up was open the curtains to either see our port(s) or the water as we sailed by.

I don't know how much more you could ask for in a cruise cabin.  Enjoyed the Sky Suites quite a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Oville said:

Or it proves some people should just mind their own business😉😃

Given the choice to stick up for someone who can't stick up for themselves (as in crew being berated) or "minding my own business" in that same scenario, I definitely do not mind my own business.

The only way to stop people who have probably spent their whole lives looking down upon or berating others who are doing every thing they can to please them, is to give them pushback.  Crew can not, given their need for good surveys.  I, on the other hand, can and will.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I would count on it. I sailed on the first Edge TA. The ship hadn’t even been in service for a year, and she was completely full. Like everyone, I have my likes and dislikes, but I had a wonderful experience on that full Edge sailing. Beautiful ship. Stellar crew. Sure, Celebrity must navigate Covid precautions as they ramp up capacity, but it seems like they’re making an extraordinary effort to keep crew and passengers as safe as possible. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Given the choice to stick up for someone who can't stick up for themselves (as in crew being berated) or "minding my own business" in that same scenario, I definitely do not mind my own business.

The only way to stop people who have probably spent their whole lives looking down upon or berating others who are doing every thing they can to please them, is to give them pushback.  Crew can not, given their or good surveys.  I, on the other hand, can and will.

On our July Edge sailing, the only person we saw complaining about ANYTHING was a woman who showed up at Luminae at 10:45 AM for breakfast with her family in tow (the restaurant had closed at 9) and was incensed that they couldn't be served breakfast.  She wasn't satisfied with the options offered (room service, etc) as she demanded (yes) to be served while seated.  She stormed away, yelling that she would never book Celebrity again and added a few choice descriptions of the Edge.  Other than that, I have never been on a cruise (and we have been on a lot) that had the same amazingly happy and upbeat atmosphere - the synergy, perhaps, of cruise-starved cruisers and work-starved crew? Don't know, but it sure was one of the best, most incredible weeks ever. 

• Like 2

I'm curious as to where you are getting your information that she is "grossly over staffed". While a reduced passenger load can mean a reduction in such crew members as room stewards, there are many functions that require a full crew whether sailing at 40% or 100% passenger load. Also, I doubt that even those positions that can be reduced actually fluctuate week to week. Celebrity would base their need over an extended period, so if on a given sailing there were a few hundred less passengers, they wouldn't tell a few crew members "sit out this sailing and we'll see you in a week!" 

• Like 3

I was actually on the same  7/3 sailing.   We were told 1660 passenger which would be a bit over 50%.  With 900 crew where the standard crew load is around 1300.   In Luminae our waiter (who we had on another ship) said they were short 4 assistant waiters and many of the waiters in Luminae were not regular Luminae waiters and were moved from the MDR.

I would think that full passenger load with a full crew complement would not suffer much.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I am grossly "under-cruised"! 😉

Same. Last one was December 2019. Halcyon days. DH just caught me playing your “sea sounds” video clip over and over as I surfed the X site for just one more cruise that would fit our schedules😂 No joy. Gotta wait until October🥺

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Same. Last one was December 2019. Halcyon days. DH just caught me playing your “sea sounds” video clip over and over as I surfed the X site for just one more cruise that would fit our schedules😂 No joy. Gotta wait until October🥺

I say do a last minute cruise and book something sailing next week.  Then again, that’s just me talking…LOL!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I did.  Are you doing a Western or Eastern Caribbean itinerary?  I only saw it on the Eastern itinerary.

Eastern. Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten. Thanks, I'll keep checking or wait to book on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Eastern. Nassau, St Thomas and St Maarten. Thanks, I'll keep checking or wait to book on board.

Yeah...I waited to book on board.  I don't remember the price, but I don't remember it being terrible, which is probably faint praise on a cruise ship.  LOL!

I think it's actually called Catamaran Sunset Cruise.....

• Thanks 1