Anybody else tired of the 70's disco party?

15 hours ago, mugtech said:

Visited Detroit in 1978, was made a member of DREAD (Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco).  Their symbol was a disco l.p. smashed with a big knife with the heading Saturday Night Cleaver.

I never heard of that but I know first hand about bad music.Many years ago I was in a group .We were a No Hit wonder.We released a song on a 45.I still have the Demo and even I never listen to it.

3 hours ago, DCPIV said:

You are absolutely correct with only few exceptions, the most prominent being the Bee Gees (who even Alice Cooper said he liked, even if he hated liking them).  That said, disco was all about being dance music.  It was all about the club scene and the dance floor (and cocaine and quaaludes).  It wasn't radio rock, even if they played it on the radio (annoying the heck out many, including yours truly).

I must admit with great shame that I went disco clubbing in 70's solely to meet girls and definitely not there for the disco music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

They went disco thinking that was where the money was.

Yeah, they sold out. My wife loves the movie Saturday Night Fever and especially the Bee Gee songs in the movie. She's even got the DVD and the CD.  She liked the evening show on the Liberty called Saturday Night Fever, but is burned out on 70's night on RC ships.  👍

On 7/29/2021 at 12:32 PM, yogimax said:

I'm the exact opposite.

Do away with the 70s and bring on more magicians.

Of course, even better would be a 60's night!

You realize that occurs in 2 seperate venues😉

On 7/29/2021 at 1:22 PM, broadwaybaby123 said:

I'm hoping they do a "Dance Through The Decades" theme week.  For example:

Monday: 50's Sock Hop

Tuesday: 60's Dance Party

Wednesday: 70's Disco Party

Thursday: 80's Party

Friday: 90's Party

Saturday or Sunday: Early 2000's party

They kind of did that on the 50th Birthday cruise in 2019

On 7/29/2021 at 1:33 PM, Cheesepleese said:

I've never been a big fan of the disco music, more classic rock and some blues music. 

RIP Dusty, always loved ZZ Top and you will be missed.

I like Classic Rock, but it doesn't lend itself very well to dancing

• Like 1

19 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

The older crowd prefer:

simoleons. Cheese, bacon, scratch…

of course, anyone would prefer Perry Como. 

If you want to know what the older crowd likes, go to Karaoke 😉

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SRF said:

While I agree, there is no music that gets you out of your seat and on the dance floor than disco.

Although, I find it funny to look up and see people sitting in chairs watching and NOT MOVING.  HOW can you sit still to YMCA??????? 😄

My dancing days are over. But I was shuffling to the beat on Allure test cruise😉🕺🕺

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

They went disco thinking that was where the money was.

And they were right.  The soundtrack for Saturday Night Fever has sold something like 40 million copies, more than half of which were sold in the first few years.

8 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

I know "to each their own" but to me, I hated the the disco thing back when it was popular. Thank goodness it was short-lived (in my opinion). There was a lot of other great music from the '70's.

On my first cruise in 1996 they had a sock hop which was a lot of fun. I guess that's getting quite old now. I see by the thread so far that things are moving forward and the "oldies" are now into the 90's.

I have seen a 50s night based one.  Except they use a Grease theme.  Which is a 70s stage show ABOUT the 50s.  Not the actual 50s.

But that is before my time of remember.  My music memories start about the time of the twist. 😄

And the music I associated with is mid-60s to mid-80s mainly.

And I liked the disco era.  It was a fun time.  And no worse that the crazy dances of the 60s. 😄

oda

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Yep, 1975. The best. It was even funny straight. Still can't be topped. 

I remember seeing the very first one.  I was home that weekend from college and my Dad and I were up talking.  Knew NOTHING about it.  And it came on.

I think we watched most of it with our mouths hanging open.  To this day, I remember the first mock commercial.  For Jamitol.  A take no Jeritol.  I can't remember which male actor, but the line started, "This is my husband and I love him."  VERY risque and avant garde for broadcast TV in that day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

The Bee Gees were good before they went disco. 

I am with you. I Started A Joke, Massachusetts, First of May are still my favorite Bee Gees songs. Robin Gibb had an amazing voice to go with his signature long hair.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

They offer nothing that I enjoy.I last hung out with boys when I was 18,then I was a man.Just as women are not girls.

Come on and join your fellow man. They want you, they want you as a new recruit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I like Classic Rock, but it doesn't lend itself very well to dancing

I remember Bob Dylan was quoted that you can dance to it when he heard a Byrds cover of one of his songs.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:50 PM, OdieCarol said:

As for the entertainment onboard most is doable, however the RCI Singers

and Dancers are the very worst.  With all the talent shows going now, American Idol, The Voice and America’s Got Talent there’s no shortage of good performers yet Royal seems to seek out mediocre performers that try to sing so loudly it’s awful. These shows have been replaced by upscale productions on Oasis Class & others and it’s a welcome relief. 

Because the really good singers don't want to sign a 6+ month contract to only sing to middle class, middle aged cruisers.  They have other options.

Figure skaters and gymnasts and high-divers don't have a lot of professional options to continue their specialty, so signing up to get paid to do what they love on a cruise ship is easy to understand.  But singers have options.