Master Echo’s first Moon Shot - July 28. - Aug 7

Master Echo

A few words about the evening entertainment on board.

The six Voices Of Silversea are employed by Luna Rossa Productions, the production company which produces the shows.

Prior to the Moon’s inauguration, there was an expectation that new shows would be produced, as happened when Silver Muse was launched.  This has not happened for some reason and so the existing ones were performed and are (politely) well known to SS regulars.

I sampled the Silver Note nightclub twice.  Once was whilst passing by after dining in La Terrazza around 10PM, when the venue was empty of guests and the singer and pianist were rehearsing.  I dined there one evening, when only three other tables were occupied and the venue lacked atmosphere, especially when those at two of the tables finished eating and left.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Good morning, sounds like the guests were different from my sailing......each time I was in Silver Note, they had a very good sized crowd.  Some folks eating while others were having a beverage while listening to the music.

A few bits and pieces to round matters off.

Azamara Club Cruises started staying in port late into the evening to allow passengers to stay ashore for dinner, for example, and other lines, including Silversea copied this.  I have wondered for some time just how many passengers avail themselves of this facility and the HD on the Moon gave a figure of typically around 1%.!!

I am unsurprised by this very low figure because I expect most people want to come back onboard, change and have dinner, unless there is a major evening attraction on shore.  Staying late and then arriving at the pilot station the next day at (typically) 7.00 AM is hard on the bridge team, making for a very short night’s sleep and I question its worthwhileness if passenger take-up is so low.

The Chronicles (which are still being delivered by hard copy daily, as well as access from your TV), advertised a daily early evening drink meet-up for solo travellers in a designated location.  It was, unusually, not hosted by one of the international hostesses.

On disembarkation day, all passengers had to vacate their cabins by 8.00 AM, but were free to eat breakfast in any venue, and could use any lounge until being called.

Whilst B2B passengers also had to vacate their cabins by 8.00 am, the 42 in-transit passengers had to meet in the Panorama Lounge, to fill out the requisite paperwork for their next voyage, but were also free to have breakfast, and indeed also able to go ashore when they wished.  I just want to reiterate that all passengers do not have to leave their cabins by 8.00 am each morning, it is only necessary for the deep clean of the ship at the end of the voyage and before the next cruise.

Disembarkation was in Piraeus (Athens), at Terminal A, the one with which cruisers will be familiar.  We were then taken by bus to Terminal C, as presumably was all the luggage, to where we had embarked, which now was occupied by Seabourn Ovation. Yet again, Silversea got the inferior berth.  However Silversea’s operation of this change was slick and organised, luggage placed as usual by your colour coded disembarkation tags, and coaches and taxis were waiting.  Unfortunately two passengers kept us waiting and caused a delay of over 20 minutes, without even a “sorry” when finally boarding the coach for the airport, but the driver drove well to make up the time lost and to the delight of those passengers whose flights were now beyond the checking in time.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Azamara Club Cruises started staying in port late into the evening to allow passengers to stay ashore for dinner, for example, and other lines, including Silversea copied this.  I have wondered for some time just how many passengers avail themselves of this facility and the HD on the Moon gave a figure of typically around 1%.!!

I am unsurprised by this very low figure because I expect most people want to come back onboard, change and have dinner, unless there is a major evening attraction on shore.  Staying late and then arriving at the pilot station the next day at (typically) 7.00 AM is hard on the bridge team, making for a very short night’s sleep and I question its worthwhileness if passenger take-up is so low.

The Chronicles (which are still being delivered by hard copy daily, as well as access from your TV), advertised a daily early evening drink meet-up for solo travellers in a designated location.  It was, unusually, not hosted by one of the international hostesses.

On disembarkation day, all passengers had to vacate their cabins by 8.00 AM, but were free to eat breakfast in any venue, and could use any lounge until being called.

Whilst B2B passengers also had to vacate their cabins by 8.00 am, the 42 in-transit passengers had to meet in the Panorama Lounge, to fill out the requisite paperwork for their next voyage, but were also free to have breakfast, and indeed also able to go ashore when they wished.  I just want to reiterate that all passengers do not have to leave their cabins by 8.00 am each morning, it is only necessary for the deep clean of the ship at the end of the voyage and before the next cruise.

Disembarkation was in Piraeus (Athens), at Terminal A, the one with which cruisers will be familiar.  We were then taken by bus to Terminal C, as presumably was all the luggage, to where we had embarked, which now was occupied by Seabourn Ovation. Yet again, Silversea got the inferior berth.  However Silversea’s operation of this change was slick and organised, luggage placed as usual by your colour coded disembarkation tags, and coaches and taxis were waiting.  Unfortunately two passengers kept us waiting and caused a delay of over 20 minutes, without even a “sorry” when finally boarding the coach for the airport, but the driver drove well to make up the time lost and to the delight of those passengers whose flights were now beyond the checking in time.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

I hope they weren't US again!

5 hours ago, Master Echo said:

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Great review and information.  I would guess people come back to the ship because they have prepaid for dinner every night on the ship.  Unless someone has an very special restaurant on their got to list—why would eat off ship.

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

@saminina Take a glance at this post from someone who just cruised on the Moon. Are you suggesting the food and drink simply looks pretty, but does not taste good?

If it looks nuthatch good, should taste good.  It wasn’t a photo shoot for an Silverseas Ad.  Just someone taking the time to show us what they had experience on the cruise.

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

If it looks nuthatch good, should taste good.  It wasn’t a photo shoot for an Silverseas Ad.  Just someone taking the time to show us what they had experience on the cruise.

That was my point. @saminina seemed to be incredulous about @Bluebelle14 saying that food on Silversea was excellent. I was pointing to those extensive pictures from a very recent cruise which show serious artistry and, I'd assume, serious culinary skills on display. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, saminina said:

OMG......have you ever been to a real restaurant?

Yes-all over the world and can certainly concur about the dining on Silversea-we find it to be far superior to the offerings on Seabourn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

That was my point. @saminina seemed to be incredulous about @Bluebelle14 saying that food on Silversea was excellent. I was pointing to those extensive pictures from a very recent cruise which show serious artistry and, I'd assume, serious culinary skills on display. 

YES, I agree 100% good.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, saminina said:

OMG......have you ever been to a real restaurant?

I have read "snarky" comments on these boards but this takes the blue ribbon.  Pretty sure the people who post on this board have actually been to "real" restaurants on land & sea.  As adults, we get to judge what we consider to be "the best."

• Like 2

1) Great reading ME posts.

2) I was responding to posts 31 and 32.    Questioning why anyone would dine ashore when they have access to the ship's food.   And the best food is on SS, why would one think of going elsewhere.

3) These new ships sound like they are part of a company unrelated to the SS I've known since 2001. Looking forward to trying Moon and passing the mark for a two week freebie cruise.

4) Very happy to see Anne-Marie climbing the ranks.  Sailed with her during her first contract.  She's excellent and has had to tolerate a lot mediocrity thru the years.

5) Yes, SS excels in the laundry department.       I've always said SS passengers are the best IME.  But the food?  No way.  Maybe RCI has allowed them to up their game.  Much like HAL downgraded the Seabourn kitchen experience.

Anyway, there is lots of (new) competition for this market segment.  

Edited by saminina

Saminina, thanks for the explanation of everything BUT.......not sure you are taking into account how your previous post may have sounded to others...........☹️......just because someone else thinks SS food is much better than you do...well, it came across as VERY condescending. Now, maybe you did not mean it to be.....but the internet is funky and folks cannot "read tone". But that is how it came across, to me anyway.

I have never sailed Seabourn so cannot give a comparison but have found the food on SS as good as many of the restaurants I have dined in on land.

59 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Saminina, thanks for the explanation of everything BUT.......not sure you are taking into account how your previous post may have sounded to others...........☹️......just because someone else thinks SS food is much better than you do...well, it came across as VERY condescending. Now, maybe you did not mean it to be.....but the internet is funky and folks cannot "read tone". But that is how it came across, to me anyway.

I have never sailed Seabourn so cannot give a comparison but have found the food on SS as good as many of the restaurants I have dined in on land.

Don't worry Lois, I don't think samina is a Seabourn fan either as he/she can be very snarky there as well. I think they are a Crystal fan because I have seen favourable comments or they just like to be awkward?

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Don't worry Lois, I don't think samina is a Seabourn fan either as he/she can be very snarky there as well. I think they are a Crystal fan because I have seen favourable comments or they just like to be awkward?

Even though I enjoying reading different opinions from everyone—and get information, the only real opinion is “your” cruise experience that counts.  Everyone has their favorite line and sometimes people (like me) get bored after awhile with one line.  Perks are nice but I hate always knowing what’s going to happen day after day.  We’re moving for awhile from Regent to Silverseas, I’m honest about it-we enjoy the larger suites and the service on a ship.  We don’t over demand, we just want a relaxing, easy going cruise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Even though I enjoying reading different opinions from everyone—and get information, the only real opinion is “your” cruise experience that counts.  Everyone has their favorite line and sometimes people (like me) get bored after awhile with one line.  Perks are nice but I hate always knowing what’s going to happen day after day...

Well said and so true.  After 12 years on Seabourn, I just did my first Silversea cruise on the Shadow circumnavigating Iceland.  I was very excited in trying out Silversea after having been curious about them for a long time and after feeling, as you expressed above, overly familiar with Seabourn.  However, my just-finished Silversea cruise has greatly renewed my appreciation for Seabourn, which I now realize I had started taking for granted.  So much was missing on Silversea that is meaningful for me that I can't wait to get back on Seabourn in a couple of months.   

• Like 2

Would be so informative if you could share what was missing for you.  If not appropriate for this thread then perhaps start a new one with your observations?  It could be helpful for those contemplating trying out a new line.  Also I’m wondering if the differences were itinerary based or due to Covid protocols and limitations.  

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Would be so informative if you could share what was missing for you.  If not appropriate for this thread then perhaps start a new one with your observations?  It could be helpful for those contemplating trying out a new line.  Also I’m wondering if the differences were itinerary based or due to Covid protocols and limitations.  

Yes I agree, I’s like to hear what you think you are missing.  Because my understanding from people we know on Seabourn right know and just got off Silverseas thinks the major different s is the dress code.  They think Seabourn is much more casual.  

6 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I hadn't planned on starting a new thread to point out my observations and the differences (that are important to me) because I wouldn't want to potentially hurt the feelings of posters on this board whom I have found very nice and helpful.

In any case, I will go ahead with some high level observations and hope I won't offend or upset anyone.  As noted, we all have our own likes and biases and points of references.  I will try to be more factual than emotional and fully understand if some of you will disagree.

I think my main source of disappointment concerns the entertainment and enrichment on board.  To start, on Seabourn, there are 4 singers and 2 dancers, and they are talented performers, even though the productions are more intimate and cannot compare to mega shows featured on mega ships.

Frankly I was shocked by the caliber of the 6 singers on Silversea.  While they were all very personable, engaging, and enthusiastic, unfortunately I wouldn't rate them as professional singers - their singing and especially harmonizing was below standard.  It didn't help that they had to perform to taped music in a show with low production value (i.e. costumes, scenic design and sets).

At first I thought maybe I was unluckily stuck with Cast "C", but a regular Silversea couple raved about those performers, so I assume they were of typical standard.

I think the lack of a live band was sorely missed.  Seabourn has a very talented 5-person band that accompanies all productions, including guest entertainers.  Speaking of which, there were no guest entertainers and no local entertainers brought onto the ship.  (Iceland is open to visitors who are fully vaccinated and tested negative, so I don't think this is covid-related.)

The live band and the Seabourn Singers and other singers plus the cruise director and assistant cruise director would lead a high energy and fun dance party on deck, which is very popular and enjoyed by all.   

On my cruise, there was no assistant cruise director.  "Big Bob" was the cruise director and was a very nice guy with a great voice and personality but apparently no performing background.

I was also surprised by the complete lack of enrichment lecturers.  All we had was one guy who gave destination talks once in a while.  On Seabourn, there would be experts in various fields such as history, culture, geography etc.  They are mostly professors, authors, politicians, business leaders, retired generals, etc.

The other major disappointment concerns trivia, which on Seabourn is a major affair with high attendance and popularity.  (On one cruise, almost half the passengers participated.)  Each time, there'd be 3 rounds of 5 questions per round, plus a bonus question at the end.  At the end of each round, there'd be an answer recap by each team, with lots of laughs, mockery and bonhomie.  There'd also be daily prizes for the winning team and a cumulative winning team with all sorts of prizes.  On Silversea, trivia was run with efficiency but little fun or flair:  one round straight through of 20 questions, with score tallying at the end by another team or by ourselves.

Other missing activities included (some of which could be covid-related):  no cooking demonstration, no bridge tour, no LGBTQ or Friends of Bill gatherings, no Shopping with the Chef (this is Iceland-related, as the towns are just too small), no Galley Market Lunch, few hosted activities/games with prizes, no Epicurean Event on deck, no Neighborhood Block Party (this is actually a plus for me, as I would hide and not participate in this most of the time).

Officers did not circulate and engage with guests.  In fact, I only saw the Hotel Director twice:  at the officers introduction on Day One in the show lounge and at the end when he was helping out with the rapid-antigen testing.  Same with the Captain - I only saw him twice on stage:  on Day One and at the farewell reception with crew parade.  The F&B manager was more present throughout the ship.  On Seabourn, officers and senior staff are ever-present and always engaging with guests.  In fact, they have a morning coffee social hour most days for guests to mingle with senior officers in Seabourn Square.

Seabourn solicits customer feedback proactively and takes them very seriously.  I'd always thoughtfully fill out the mid-cruise survey (not a thing on Silversea) with mostly praises for various staff plus a few constructive feedback.  All feedback is acknowledged promptly.  Any issue is dealt with quickly and in a meaningful way.  On my cruise, I encountered one major issue:  meat was accidentally put into my dish.  This was unexpected, as the executive chef and Restaurant Manager had met with me on Day One and had given me the impression that my vegetarian/vegan dietary requirements would be no problem whatsoever.  I didn't make a big deal with this issue; after all, we are all humans, and mistakes do happen despite our best intentions at times.

However, I was surprised at the lack of acknowledgement and attempt at service recovery.  On Seabourn, such an incident would have triggered, without any prompting on my part, a series of apologies, e.g. call from guest services manager, handwritten note from the executive chef and/or Hotel Director, and a service recovery gesture such as a bottle of revenue wine.  Again, I do not make a fuss or need to gain something, but it is reassuring that management cares about me.

Again, I hope I haven't upset anybody, and I welcome your feedback and questions. As mentioned, some of the issues may be related to covid or an older ship such as the Shadow.    

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

I hadn't planned on starting a new thread to point out my observations and the differences (that are important to me) because I wouldn't want to potentially hurt the feelings of posters on this board whom I have found very nice and helpful.

In any case, I will go ahead with some high level observations and hope I won't offend or upset anyone.  As noted, we all have our own likes and biases and points of references.  I will try to be more factual than emotional and fully understand if some of you will disagree.

I think my main source of disappointment concerns the entertainment and enrichment on board.  To start, on Seabourn, there are 4 singers and 2 dancers, and they are talented performers, even though the productions are more intimate and cannot compare to mega shows featured on mega ships.

Frankly I was shocked by the caliber of the 6 singers on Silversea.  While they were all very personable, engaging, and enthusiastic, unfortunately I wouldn't rate them as professional singers - their singing and especially harmonizing was below standard.  It didn't help that they had to perform to taped music in a show with low production value (i.e. costumes, scenic design and sets).

At first I thought maybe I was unluckily stuck with Cast "C", but a regular Silversea couple raved about those performers, so I assume they were of typical standard.

I think the lack of a live band was sorely missed.  Seabourn has a very talented 5-person band that accompanies all productions, including guest entertainers.  Speaking of which, there were no guest entertainers and no local entertainers brought onto the ship.  (Iceland is open to visitors who are fully vaccinated and tested negative, so I don't think this is covid-related.)

The live band and the Seabourn Singers and other singers plus the cruise director and assistant cruise director would lead a high energy and fun dance party on deck, which is very popular and enjoyed by all.   

On my cruise, there was no assistant cruise director.  "Big Bob" was the cruise director and was a very nice guy with a great voice and personality but apparently no performing background.

I was also surprised by the complete lack of enrichment lecturers.  All we had was one guy who gave destination talks once in a while.  On Seabourn, there would be experts in various fields such as history, culture, geography etc.  They are mostly professors, authors, politicians, business leaders, retired generals, etc.

The other major disappointment concerns trivia, which on Seabourn is a major affair with high attendance and popularity.  (On one cruise, almost half the passengers participated.)  Each time, there'd be 3 rounds of 5 questions per round, plus a bonus question at the end.  At the end of each round, there'd be an answer recap by each team, with lots of laughs, mockery and bonhomie.  There'd also be daily prizes for the winning team and a cumulative winning team with all sorts of prizes.  On Silversea, trivia was run with efficiency but little fun or flair:  one round straight through of 20 questions, with score tallying at the end by another team or by ourselves.

Other missing activities included (some of which could be covid-related):  no cooking demonstration, no bridge tour, no LGBTQ or Friends of Bill gatherings, no Shopping with the Chef (this is Iceland-related, as the towns are just too small), no Galley Market Lunch, few hosted activities/games with prizes, no Epicurean Event on deck, no Neighborhood Block Party (this is actually a plus for me, as I would hide and not participate in this most of the time).

Officers did not circulate and engage with guests.  In fact, I only saw the Hotel Director twice:  at the officers introduction on Day One in the show lounge and at the end when he was helping out with the rapid-antigen testing.  Same with the Captain - I only saw him twice on stage:  on Day One and at the farewell reception with crew parade.  The F&B manager was more present throughout the ship.  On Seabourn, officers and senior staff are ever-present and always engaging with guests.  In fact, they have a morning coffee social hour most days for guests to mingle with senior officers in Seabourn Square.

Seabourn solicits customer feedback proactively and takes them very seriously.  I'd always thoughtfully fill out the mid-cruise survey (not a thing on Silversea) with mostly praises for various staff plus a few constructive feedback.  All feedback is acknowledged promptly.  Any issue is dealt with quickly and in a meaningful way.  On my cruise, I encountered one major issue:  meat was accidentally put into my dish.  This was unexpected, as the executive chef and Restaurant Manager had met with me on Day One and had given me the impression that my vegetarian/vegan dietary requirements would be no problem whatsoever.  I didn't make a big deal with this issue; after all, we are all humans, and mistakes do happen despite our best intentions at times.

However, I was surprised at the lack of acknowledgement and attempt at service recovery.  On Seabourn, such an incident would have triggered, without any prompting on my part, a series of apologies, e.g. call from guest services manager, handwritten note from the executive chef and/or Hotel Director, and a service recovery gesture such as a bottle of revenue wine.  Again, I do not make a fuss or need to gain something, but it is reassuring that management cares about me.

Again, I hope I haven't upset anybody, and I welcome your feedback and questions. As mentioned, some of the issues may be related to covid or an older ship such as the Shadow.    

Humm?????