First Time Celebrity Cruiser

Plaidlulu

Hello!  I just booked our extended family on a cruise for next summer to Alaska (on the Solstice).   I have been trying to find out the basics of "how things work" on Celebrity.  While we have cruised before, it was alway on Disney, so I am trying to gain an understanding of what to expect so I can be prepared and share it with the rest of the family.  I have searched Celebrity's website and YouTube but haven't found anything that goes into detail.  I would appreciate any resources or tips anyone is willing to share with me.  Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Plaidlulu said:

Hello!  I just booked our extended family on a cruise for next summer to Alaska (on the Solstice).   I have been trying to find out the basics of "how things work" on Celebrity.  While we have cruised before, it was alway on Disney, so I am trying to gain an understanding of what to expect so I can be prepared and share it with the rest of the family.  I have searched Celebrity's website and YouTube but haven't found anything that goes into detail.  I would appreciate any resources or tips anyone is willing to share with me.  Thank you!

Welcome to CC. Consider asking specific questions you have concerning Celebrity v Disney. 

Thank you! Happy to ask specific questions, just wasn't sure if I overlooked a Celebrity for Beginners Post.

How do they know what beverage package you have?  

Are there restrictions on where you can use the beverage package; for example when you sit down at dinner are those beverages part of the beverage package or do you pay additional for them?  

How do you know the daily activities/schedule for the day?

Any reviews of the Teen Club or suggestions to consider?

Do they have soft serve ice cream machines?

On DCL we always bring a hanging shoe/jewelry organizer to hold the small things (sunscreen/chap stick/hand sanitizer/room card). DCL stopped allowing the over the door type; what does Celebrity allow?

Do you recommend lanyards?

Thanks so much! 

It may help people respond if you add a bit more information re your family, categories of rooms booked, are you traveling with children/older generation...CC responders can then comment on the restaurants you will spend most of your time in, what your rooms are like, features that may appeal to some of your party...

We have cruised a few times on Solstice and loved her!

Generally the focus on Celebrity is Rest and Relaxation....There are always some children on board with a well reviewed children’s club but the ships generally are not child focused. 

To us the strengths of Celebrity are the food and the laid back ambiance...

11 minutes ago, Plaidlulu said:

Thank you! Happy to ask specific questions, just wasn't sure if I overlooked a Celebrity for Beginners Post.

How do they know what beverage package you have?  There will be a code on your Seapas card.

Are there restrictions on where you can use the beverage package; for example when you sit down at dinner are those beverages part of the beverage package or do you pay additional for them?  The beverage packages are good for all venues. You cannot use the BP for the drinks in the stateroom cooler. 

How do you know the daily activities/schedule for the day? The daily paper is called Celebrity Today. 

Any reviews of the Teen Club or suggestions to consider? 

Do they have soft serve ice cream machines?

On DCL we always bring a hanging shoe/jewelry organizer to hold the small things (sunscreen/chap stick/hand sanitizer/room card). DCL stopped allowing the over the door type; what does Celebrity allow?

Do you recommend lanyards? Personal preference. We don't use them. 

Thanks so much! 

Answers in red. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chemmo said:

It may help people respond if you add a bit more information re your family, categories of rooms booked, are you traveling with children/older generation...CC responders can then comment on the restaurants you will spend most of your time in, what your rooms are like, features that may appeal to some of your party...

We have cruised a few times on Solstice and loved her!

Generally the focus on Celebrity is Rest and Relaxation....There are always some children on board with a well reviewed children’s club but the ships generally are not child focused. 

To us the strengths of Celebrity are the food and the laid back ambiance...

Thank you! My apologies, it's been awhile since I planned a vacation 🙃

We have three Aft Sky Suites - it will be multi-generational - Grandparents (70s); Adult Children/Spouses (45-50YO); and teenage boys (17,16 and 12).

I can't comment on the teen club, but on the Equinox, there is an ice cream station on Lido that has both soft and hard ice cream that is served. 

Beverage packages are on your card. Good anywhere that is served. 

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You might want to explore some things on the Celebrity Site that may appear hidden.   First Click the Hamburger  button top left

image.thumb.png.c158a69d0bec8d6d47c87daec7277430.png

Select Ships and then Soltice

At the top menu bar are things like overview, dining, Bars and Lounges  an accommodation.

Explore each  -   They will fill you in on most things about the ship and what it offers.

Under the Hamburger button also good links are ---

Why Celebrity

Onboard Experience

Shore Excursions

FamilyFun  (if you have children) - Sub Topics, Camp at Sea, Kids Menu,    TeenSpa and Autism  Friendly.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With you all being in Sky Suites your entire party will be assigned to dining in the Suite exclusive Luminae Restaurant.  In addition there are a variety of other dining venues that you can chose from.

If your suites are all next to each other you may be able to have the balcony dividers opened between each suite.  Ask you Butler to do that for you.   (Yes, you will have a Butler who will do many things for you)  You should now ask the question here " what will the Butler do that helps us enjoy our cruise?"   you will get a ton of answers.    

The Solstice is a great ship with lots to do.    Enjoy your family cruise     

• Thanks 1

You have three great cabins so that’s a good start.  The Celebrity APP is a good source of info once you get on board., shows you menus for the day at the various restaurants. A bit of a hidden gem which the kids might enjoy for dinner is the buffet. Usually not crowded for dinner and they have a nice grill at the rear. 

Shore excursions are expensive but we did one that I would recommend. On one day the ship goes up the strait to the glacier. As we reached it, we got off the ship and onto a Catmaran. On the way back to meet the ship we went to areas the ship could IPD not get to. We went in August and the whales were starting their migration so had company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Luminae restaurant is a whole separate topic. On embarkation day (pre-Covid anyway) it has been open for lunch from about 12 to 1:30. Great burger on the lunch menu.  After that, will be open for lunch only on sea days. It’s always open for breakfast & dinner, open seating so you don’t need reservations. However, if you all agree on a set time and want to be together each night you can tell the Luminae manager your preference.

You can always request the Main Dining Room restaurant, too. The waiters are happy to bring that menu. Sometimes nothing appeals to me in Luminae and there may be a good choice in the MDR. 

Suite passengers sometimes can eat at Blu (the restaurant for Aqua Class passengers) if space is available.

For us one of the best perks of being in a Sky Suite is access to Michael’s Club aka Retreat Lounge where there is a full bar and often one or more concierges & a bartender and server on duty. Great place for drinks before or after dinner, and sometimes a reception with the officers. If you just want to run in and grab a cold drink for the cooler to take with you, no problem. Ask the concierge any time you need assistance, and you can ask if there will be special events coming up for suite passengers like a sail-away.

• Thanks 1

My first celebrity cruise was aft sky suite on solstice, celebrity has great suite perks food and service in suite restaurant Luminae is fantastic, suite lounge also great service and drinks , also a beautiful ship, enjoy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

My first celebrity cruise was aft sky suite on solstice, celebrity has great suite perks food and service in suite restaurant Luminae is fantastic, suite lounge also great service and drinks , also a beautiful ship, enjoy.

@George C   Little off topic but how was the Wifi on the Aft corner SS?

22 hours ago, davekathy said:

On DCL we always bring a hanging shoe/jewelry organizer to hold the small things (sunscreen/chap stick/hand sanitizer/room card). DCL stopped allowing the over the door type; what does Celebrity allow

I have not cruised since March 2019, but on that cruise I was still using an over the door hanging shoe organizer.  I hung it over the bathroom door facing into the room (not the door to the room). 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 39august said:

Celebrity "Today" is your daily activities planner delivered to your cabin each evening for the next day. 

If you're looking for some real-life daily planners to see what type of activities might be on your ship, there's this YouTube video of some from the Celebrity Apex- 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sunnydrk said:

I have not cruised since March 2019, but on that cruise I was still using an over the door hanging shoe organizer.  I hung it over the bathroom door facing into the room (not the door to the room). 

Not sure why you used my screen name for @Plaidluluquestion? 😕 BTW, we've never cruised Disney and would never use a shoe organizer.  🤣

Edited by davekathy

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

Not sure why you used my screen name for @Plaidluluquestion? 😕 BTW, we've never cruised Disney and would never use a shoe organizer.  🤣

LOL, I have no earthly idea.  Must have needed 2 cups of coffee this AM.  🤪 Hit copy and CC asked me if I wanted to quote.  Said yes.  
Clearly, CC is guiding me to encourage you to use a shoe organizer.  👠👡🩴

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sunnydrk said:

LOL, I have no earthly idea.  Must have needed 2 cups of coffee this AM.  🤪 Hit copy and CC asked me if I wanted to quote.  Said yes.  
Clearly, CC is guiding me to encourage you to use a shoe organizer.  👠👡🩴

Good luck with that and getting me on a Disney cruise. 🤣