EDGE July 31

Tee & Chilli

13 minutes ago, IsItTimeToCruiseYet? said:

Thank you very much for your response.  How is the Oceanview set up?  Order off a menu, able to select our food with crew serving us, etc.?

Crew serving at all stations with the exception of drinks. Drinks are self serve however crew will ask you if you need their assistance with obtaining water, coffee, etc

2 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Crew serving at all stations with the exception of drinks. Drinks are self serve however crew will ask you if you need their assistance with obtaining water, coffee, etc

Thanks so much for your reply.  Enjoy the rest of cruise and thanks for your posts!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Casual however respectful.

Tonight is chic night. Women are in nice dresses and several have long gowns.  More women are in pants and dressy blouses.

Men are in collared shirts and some men have jackets and no tie.

Throughout the cruise I have not seen baseball caps or torn jeans.

Now you have done it, this thread will get hijacked  by the fashioistas in CC. LOL

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Not sure what else you want a Capt to do, she came outside into the "snake pit" vs tasking others to personally hand out water, an apology letter went out and a $200 OBC was given.  If one is unsatisfied, reach out to X customer service or Guest Relations, not the captain or any other crew members.

This post is spot on.  I thought it was awesome that she was out there handing out water.

I've been on 27 cruises in my lifetime and I can't tell you one of them where I even saw the slightest glimpse of the Captain on Embarkation Day.  I mean, I know the Captain is busy with departure preparations, the previous voyage, the upcoming voyage and all the shoreside stuff that has to be done on Turnaround Day.

I think it's awesome that Captain Kate takes time to greet the guests and welcome them to her ship.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Additional Info

Salt and Pepper shakers on all tables

Ketchup, mustard and Mayo self serve pump 

Toppings for waffles and pancakes are being handed by the crew. Passengers cannot pour syrup or dollop whip cream.

Passengers cannot get their own soup, oatmeal, grits, etc

Edited by Tee & Chilli

On 8/3/2021 at 7:23 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Don't get on a celebrity sailing unless you bring your earplugs everywhere you go

- Covid announcements will play in your stateroom, regular announcements don't

- On the 7/24 sailing, the capt got progressively more detailed with each announcement, for #2 she said something like "they were flown home", then on #3 she said something like "flown home on a private medical plane".  Vlogger Don said Saturday morning (I got off early) she deep dove into contact tracing and reviewed the video footage.

- For contact tracing X will send folks around in light blue shirts (best guess is security) with paper printouts with "mugshots" to find them as many places on the ship (buffet, pools, fitness center, theater, etc) don't require a keycard, therefore it can take a lot of manhours to scrub the video footage and locate someone

This feels a little exaggerated, especially after cruising on several other lines who make far more announcements than Celebrity did. 

I found the earplugs more necessary for the exuberant “exercise routine” of the couple next door than I did for the announcements. 

• Haha 3

Tee & Chilli, you've done a marvelous job reporting on the ship and answering questions.  THANK YOU!!

One more request... Please share your disembarkation procedure.  We just received a call from Celebrity concerning protocols for our August 28th sailing.  We were told that we would receive a Covid test at disembarkation in order to re-enter the US.  Surely they aren't going to try and test everyone on Saturday morning - although that is what this agent said!!  My husband didn't ask if there would be a charge... we're fully vaccinated.

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We heard you're taking a little detour to the Turks and Grand Caicos.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9812705

There was a medical emergency, non-covid related according to the announcement. We're currently off the coast of Turks and Caicos. According to announcements more information is coming at 8 and 10am. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jbouvier said:

There was a medical emergency, non-covid related according to the announcement. We're currently off the coast of Turks and Caicos. According to announcements more information is coming at 8 and 10am. 

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you hear anything more. According to a search I just did, Grand Turk Island and Port Everglades are 653 miles apart. If the Edge averaged 23.4 knots per hour, it would take her 24 hours to complete the cruise. So if you're going to be getting updates at 8 and 10 am, the chances of the Edge getting in late into Port Everglades are looking pretty good.

CELEBRITY EDGE Current Location (cruisemapper.com)

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Captain Kate just announced that we have been holding off Grand Turk since midnight awaiting a medical helicopter from Tampa.  The Edge will be delayed arriving in Port Everglades Saturday.  She will update us between 10 and 11 ET today

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, DenvCruiser said:

Captain Kate just announced that we have been holding off Grand Turk since midnight awaiting a medical helicopter from Tampa.  The Edge will be delayed arriving in Port Everglades Saturday.  She will update us between 10 and 11 ET today

Seems strange to be flying a helicopter all the way from Tampa.

23 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Seems strange to be flying a helicopter all the way from Tampa.

Thinking the same; also wonder why the ship needs to dock, could have dropped off the passenger or arranged for the helicopter to meet the ship in the ocean.  I'm guessing the other pax won't be allowed to explore Grand Turk

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

Early disembarkation day flights aren't nearly as big as a deal as embarkation day flights.  Disembarkation day, miss your flight, you simply get rebooked to a later one; worst case there's no availability and you have to wait a day but generally they'll find you something but you might have an extra layover.  On embarkation day, if your flight is late and can't board the ship, it's not an easy nor cheap process to fly last minute into a foreign country and board the ship.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thinking the same; also wonder why the ship needs to dock, could have dropped off the passenger or arranged for the helicopter to meet the ship in the ocean.  I'm guessing the other pax won't be allowed to explore Grand Turk

They aren't flying a helicopter from Tampa. It's a medivac jet that will transfer to Fort Lauderdale. 

Several reasons for the helicopter. Moving a patient from the ship into a helicopter at sea is always the absolute last resort. They would need Coast Guard or equivelent support. If they feel the patient is safer onboard than they would be at a facility on land, they will keep the patient on board until they can get them transferred to their end desintation. They will either briefly dock or if it's safe enough, use a tender to transfer the patient from ship to land to air transport.