The Daily for Sunday August 01, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Thank you for mentioning again the tour information.  I've made note of it and will begin talking my sister into it.  

How many days was the tour?

The official tour we took was 5 days. We added two days before and after that tour. And we never made it to the Northwest fjords! They might offer others that are longer. 

I know they have a Winter one available. For folk who want a better chance to see “the lights “. 

• Like 11

@cat shepardthank you once again for your Iceland travelogue.  The pictures today were outstanding!  I love all the falls, and the unique coloring of the vegetation there.  I remember seeing yellow and red wildflowers among all the rocks as we "circled" Iceland on a tour.  And seeing the geysir you pictured here.  I think you've convinced several people to consider a tour (or cruise) in Iceland.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Hello Again, now that I’ve had some coffee I can share from last night.

We had reservations for Tamarind.  Once on board DH noticed that the reservation was for 4 not 2.  I asked the concierge and she noticed another couples name on our reservation using our cabin number.  She removed it.  When we got there the host thought we were that couple, he couldn’t remove the extra guests.  When he printed the slip it printed correctly.  He was puzzled.  We got complementary champagne and the server spilled DH’s glass on him.  They were very apologetic. It did not ruin the meal.  The food was excellent.  When the host came over he offered to make dinner reservations.  I asked if he could book Tamarind using one of our 5* meals and he said yes.  We will be there Monday night. One cutback, the towel to wash your hands is gone.  

In the cabin we do have bar soap.  Also something new to me.  There is a light that comes on in the bathroom when you turn off the main lights.  Think night light.  I like that feature.

I did find that the coffee station does have packets.  I asked for a few for the coffee machine in the room.  They were provided without issue.

DH found something that sparkles last night.  We now have our 7 bonus spending days credit.  He may not be done.😂

We have been invited to a 4 and 5* reception at 11.

Off to relax and enjoy the day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We have been to San Juan 3 times, twice on the Nieuw Amsterdam (2015 & 2016) and once on the Nieuw Statendam (2019). We will be back (hopefully!) this November on the NA. 

DSC_0388.thumb.JPG.fcf1dfefed29db6283453de7d5d07954.JPG

DSC_0391.thumb.JPG.1a727b4c5bb715981ee110aa8e8497e3.JPG

460560546_DSC_0961(2).thumb.JPG.2377e0affadde2ba0b07804451f58d6a.JPG

Flags at half staff in remembrance of Pearl Harbor -

DSC_0977.thumb.JPG.828633f9b130b2e41940a69769d3a0e5.JPG

DSC_0837.thumb.JPG.dc56e5a5b52b72980722bb202eb54321.JPG

DSC_0846.thumb.JPG.5fe13a856d73d7314e4112959ef03676.JPG

DSC_0862.thumb.JPG.697858f4c933f9801a4667fb23d5edd0.JPG

204854375_DSC_0863(2).thumb.JPG.46d646c3092b6376896ea1ffdd494d57.JPG

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

😉Looking forward to reading @cat shepard's reports on the NA!! 👍Thank you to Rich @richwmn for The Daily and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.😊  Also, to all who contribute and the photos from PR...a favorite for us, too. 

🌺Last night, we attended a luau with the family and everyone enjoyed the experience. ( new for the grandchildren...😎the grandparents (us) always wear sunglasses,  LOL!)🙃

🙏Prayers to all in need.

Katie in Maui

20210731_092322.jpg

FB_IMG_1627832873974.jpg

FB_IMG_1627833148766.jpg

• Like 23

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Although we are past 66% fully vaccinated, I don’t think it’s enough and masks should still be used indoors.  I dropped Miko off at the groomer’s and had my mask on.  She isn’t vaccinated (can’t be for medical reasons, yet) and I wasn’t putting her at risk.

Mask wearing is not discouraged at least.  Just not required.

We saw a chart the other day showing the vaccination rates by county. Out of 254 counties in Texas, the vast majority are in the 30-40% range with many below that.  There are a few above 50% and 1 or 2 above 70%.  Our Covid-19 rates are increasing, but our governor issued an executive order banning mask and vaccine mandates with a threat to fine local officials who impose their mandates.  So we are wearing our masks again, and I noticed more masks on both shoppers and employees in the grocery store today.  Soon we'll be back to where we were last summer.  😱 😷

Lenda

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Soon we'll be back to where we were last summer.  😱 😷

Sad but true, Lenda.  We need everyone to get vaccinated to put a halt to this.  Our vaccination rate continues to climb - over 81% have the first does so I hope they all get the 2nd 🤞 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We saw a chart the other day showing the vaccination rates by county. Out of 254 counties in Texas, the vast majority are in the 30-40% range with many below that.  There are a few above 50% and 1 or 2 above 70%.  Our Covid-19 rates are increasing, but our governor issued an executive order banning mask and vaccine mandates with a threat to fine local officials who impose their mandates.  So we are wearing our masks again, and I noticed more masks on both shoppers and employees in the grocery store today.  Soon we'll be back to where we were last summer.  😱 😷

Lenda

So many people and companies are far ahead of their "leaders".

Roy

• Like 8

@cat shepard Ann, your post and pictures brought back some great memories of the days we spent in 2016 and 2017 driving around Iceland.  Reynisfjara is the black beach I mentioned yesterday.  We were there on August 31, 2017.  It was cold and windy, but the sea was calmer.

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us.

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! CC is finally letting me post, I think.🤔

We have a nice collection of days centered around friendship. That’s  perfect for this group!

The meal sounds good, but DD and I are having dinner at my sister’s, so I have no idea what the menu is.  I’ve never been to Puerto Rico. Almost but then the pandemic muscled in. In January 2020, we were passing the east coast of Puerto Rico southbound on the Amsterdam. There was a sudden shuddering vibration ran the length of the ship, almost like when a smaller vessel hits a submerged log. Later Captain Mercer came on and told us that there had been a large earthquake offshore, and we had felt the seismic wave heading to Puerto Rico. He said he had only ever felt that one other time in his career at sea, off the coast of Alaska many years before. We found out later that the part of Puerto Rico we were passing suffered major damage.

on a lighter note, we finally have rain, and cooler weather! There has been no measurable rainfall in a month and a half. Now that we are on the first day of August, the rain has returned! It will make a much easier drive to the interior for DD and I. The heat wouldn’t have been much fun. She will be here any minute now and I should be ready to go.

Happy Sunday, and lets get back on those BHBs as they return to cruising!

6F3D41D4-9B5B-40AF-97E3-6652E77E5F34.thumb.jpeg.87fa0b290d2eb7388b538bd589ef67ed.jpeg

• Like 13

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Rabbit, Rabbit.

Good days. Friendship and Forgiveness are so important. Love my select few girlfriends!

Funny quote.

I like the meal, pass on the drink and wine. I think it's chicken tonight for me.

My first ever cruise (for my 50th birthday) originated in San Juan. It was a Princess Caribbean cruise.

I'm a bit late today. I wanted to finish up the last of the shrub trimming this morning, as we're supposed to get rain this afternoon. I was also cutting my neighbors unruly stuff too that grows over on my side; he doesn't care and never does much to his yard.

@grapau27 Wow on that pizza! And thanks for the piper.

@smitty34877 Prayers for Tana and that she gets to go home from the hospital.

@cat shepard Beautiful pictures. Makes us all want to go there!

@Crazy For Cats Thanks for sharing your voyage.

Prayers for the Care list and cheers for the Celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

For those who want more following @cat shepard's stories of Iceland, the Crystal Endeavor (Brand new Expedition Ship) is doing a series of circumnavigations of Iceland and most voyages have a live thread.  Here's the one for this voyage:

And for the one that starts August 6:

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks all!  
@cat shepardyou are making me add Iceland to the list!  Beautiful! 
@kazu thanks for the pepper photos,  maybe we’ll have some by fall!  Agree on too early opening, as I read about to any places going back to masking. 
It’s still very hot and Smokey, but my poinsettia is still blooming 

9E115EB1-1903-4058-9ECE-FD25ED9F88B1.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14

36 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Look! LOOK!!

AC.... finally!!

PXL_20210801_190254031_MP.thumb.jpg.34cdd3d979ad697b8a9ba94ada4459e7.jpg

Aha! So you are the cause of our cooler weather!

Happy August 1, everyone!  I had emails this morning wishing me a Happy Birthday Month from a bunch of shops I frequent and even one from our favourite restaurant in Bellingham, Anthony's, with a gift certificate - now if only they would let us cross the border!  I have to let you know the big day is later this month, too and I will be one year younger than Father Himself....

We have been to San Juan - I have the typical photos everyone has shown - we also went to the Bacardi factory.

P1070258.thumb.JPG.09954b2b4b53507acc3d5a3c36bede79.JPG

P1070260.thumb.JPG.0de406e6160d798d321c1d8f6005d549.JPG

P1070056.thumb.JPG.1ff13983c1455b1bbc072a2244e939d2.JPG

• Like 16

Forgot to say - Jacqui, I agree with you about all this opening up to soon.  Here they want to treat it now as if it is "just" a seasonal 'flu - not bothering with masks, social distancing, contact tracing or testing.  It is a worry.

• Like 6