Florida, restrictions and ccl vs rcl

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

We are retired so basically we are on vacation 52 weeks a year, or it feels like it living in Arizona. We can sit out by the pool with no worries about chair hogs. Sure we have to grill are own meals, make our own drinks and the other things staying at home requires. We eat like kings, drink ourselves silly, thousands of dollars less than the cost of a cruise, plus air and hotel. If we want to get away, Vegas is only 4 1/2 hours away and Cali is about 6 hours away.

Ok, I'll bite....So you are on a cruise website (and commenting) for exactly what reason?  Perhaps you're part of the AZ Chamber of Commerce?

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Lastly, the Florida laws are to protect the constitutional rights of people to choose. 

Huh?  Which part of the constitution are you referring to that deals with this?

What about the rights of businesses to choose?

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Huh?  Which part of the constitution are you referring to that deals with this?

What about the rights of businesses to choose?

First, I don't have the time for a history lesson.  But for your second item, a business does not choose, the owner chooses.  If he answers to stock holders, and he makes decisions to ban half the customers, than that person might not have a job.  If a small business owner can handle the loss of business, such as if they deny you to enter their restaurant, they just go to another one down the street instead.  I accept it......but it's not the right thing to do.

6 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

......but it's not the right thing to do.

actual it is the right thing to do.

had we done in a national mandate in order to board a plane we would have much less of a problem.

Still should

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

First, I don't have the time for a history lesson.  But for your second item, a business does not choose, the owner chooses.  If he answers to stock holders, and he makes decisions to ban half the customers, than that person might not have a job.  If a small business owner can handle the loss of business, such as if they deny you to enter their restaurant, they just go to another one down the street instead.  I accept it......but it's not the right thing to do.

I guess you don't have an answer for the question about the constitution.  That's okay.

As far as the second part, why not at least allow businesses (whether it's decided by stockholders or CEO or individual owner) to set their own rules?  If enough customers don't like the rules, they'll take their business elsewhere.  Let the free market work it out instead of more government regulations.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Post whoring on CC about any non-cruise topic is sorta expected. 

It is expected...I'm curious what the reason is/was for the non-cruisers comment.  Actually, I fully suspect the reason....just don't need a few days off from the site by taking it further.

Edited by bucfan2

8 hours ago, orville99 said:

Actually, they're already up to lambda, which would make the next variant mu.

Wonder if it will be nicknamed cow flu with that variant. Or maybe the moo flu.

Edited by MrMarc

3 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

What happens to naming variants after we reach the Zebra variant?

Actually the last letter in the Greek alphabet is Omega. Ω. I assume they would go to alpha-1.  But the omega variant sounds pretty ominous. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 5:00 PM, Tatka said:

We sailed on Celebrity Edge and all adults except for one woman who just didn’t have all 14 days after second shot were vaccinated. There were kids, but not many. There was no masks (except in ports) and life onboard was pretty much normal except for 50% pax 

Was she treated differently because the 14 days hadn’t passed, or did they use common sense and consider her vaccinated?

29 minutes ago, orville99 said:

There is no zebra in the greek alphabet.

BTW, the hurricane center used to name  the late storms, that go beyond the assigned names, with the Greek alphabet - Alpha, Beta..... They had to stop because Americans thought the 6th letter Zeta was the end of the alphabet and were confused when they kept coming.  🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

Was she treated differently because the 14 days hadn’t passed, or did they use common sense and consider her vaccinated?

There was a woman who boarded carnival and it hadnt been 14 days since she had last "been out of the country". She had to have a covid test, though carnival paid for it. 

16 hours ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

After 14 days passed she was treated as vaccinated

On 8/2/2021 at 9:21 AM, D C said:

Celebrity is asking about vaccination status (including about mixed doses) through the booking agent side of things. They should have no surprises at the port and should be very close to 100% vaccinated. 

Presumably NCL could deny a booking to anyone unvaccinated and do any verification outside of the state of Florida, but that's pure speculation.  

That's the case, at least with Celebrity.  Upon booking (either by the TA or Celebrity PCC), you're asked if you're vaccinated.  It's noted in your booking.  Celebrity called me a week or so before sailing to confirm my vaccination status.  Upon arriving at embarkation, I was asked for all of my information (passport, vaccine card, ticket bar code, etc), which they scanned into my record.  I was immediately given the "green light" to board.  I know my EDGE cruise was listed as sailing with 98% + vaccinated.  Assuming the other 2% unvaccinated were young children.  But, the recent emails I've received from Celebrity are stating all passengers older than 12 years old are required to be vaccinated.  All passengers 2 years old and up will be required to have a negative PCR/Antigen test 72 hours (or less) before boarding.

I used to be an NCL cruiser (Platinum Latitudes).  Was ready to sail 100% vaccinated with them until the canceled 2 cruises of mine to only resist them at higher fares, which I immediately rejected.  But, they made it clear that those cruises would sail 100% vaccinated. I don't think they have sailed out of FL (maybe out of Seattle for Alaska?).  But, I can't think of anyone giving them pushback for their vaccine requirements given what's going on in FL right now.

Carnival, from the little I've read, requires anyone unvaccinated to apply for an exemption before sailing.  I guess it's kind of "hit or miss" whether you are granted an exemption, and contingent mainly on if you are sailing with small children.

Royal...hard to tell what they're doing.  But, what's clear is they are making it very difficult to cruise on their ships if you're unvaccinated.  In addition, they're making it more expensive for the unvaccinated to cruise, as well as more restrictive.

Bottom line, the cruise lines want fully vaccinated passengers as their guests.  

On 8/2/2021 at 8:50 AM, Joseph2017China said:

Well, Covid will not disappear for a few years.....and the Delta variant is already being replaced with a new variant, most likely will be named soon as the Echo variant.  I understand your statement, but remember that skipping vacations for 3-4 years is still a choice.  My choice is to continue to going on vacations, and work around whatever rules are presented.  A vacation not exactly normal, is better than a vacation in my back yard. 

There is zero evidence delta is being replaced at this time.  So that is simply not accurate.  It may, but if you are

talking about the variant from Peru it is present, but that in no way necessarily means it replacing the delta variant.  Time will tell, but it is way too early to make such a statement. 

I do agree that we all must realize variants will continue and this will be endemic.  You can’t wait for the old normal because there won’t be an old normal.  Sadly, right or wrong, good or bad, things have changed forever.  At some point everyone will need to live life accordingly and resume activities such as vacationing and cruising specifically.   Waiting until this all clears may take way too long or never happen at all.   We will all need to deal with the policies in place, like it or not.  Might as well just accept that part and be happier in the long run.