Ordering A drink from a LIVE bartender?

Sunset329

I am old school. I like walking up to a bar and ordering a drink directly from the bartender. I can't imagine talking or playing with my phone to order a drink. With the Medallion cruise, will I be able to simply order a drink directly from a bartender? You know what they say about old dogs!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sunset329 said:

I am old school. I like walking up to a bar and ordering a drink directly from the bartender. I can't imagine talking or playing with my phone to order a drink. With the Medallion cruise, will I be able to simply order a drink directly from a bartender? You know what they say about old dogs!

It's hard to know exactly how things will work with the new system, but under the former Medallion system, though it was possible, we NEVER ordered a drink online with a phone. Always prefer to have the waiter come over and take the order in person (e.g. Crooners) and I can't imagine that will have changed. We're with you on that one for sure, live human all the way. Met a lot of great waiters and bartenders over the years and never needed a phone to do it ;o)

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

It's hard to know exactly how things will work with the new system, but under the former Medallion system, though it was possible, we NEVER ordered a drink online with a phone. Always prefer to have the waiter come over and take the order in person (e.g. Crooners) and I can't imagine that will have changed. We're with you on that one for sure, live human all the way. Met a lot of great waiters and bartenders over the years and never needed a phone to do it ;o)

When I go to a food emporium or bar, I tip the person who TAKES my order and then delivers the order.  Since I can't tip Medallion, I guess that it means that if at all possible there will be no tip when I get a drink.  

DON

I have a special rfid blocker holder for my medallion that when I use it is fun to watch the bartenders reaction when he or she is trying to get the drink for me.  Jus enjoying the cruise and having fun!😀

45 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

When I go to a food emporium or bar, I tip the person who TAKES my order and then delivers the order.  Since I can't tip Medallion, I guess that it means that if at all possible there will be no tip when I get a drink.  

DON

Someone will deliver it.  And you will be charge 18% gratuity just like always.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

And you will be charge 18% gratuity just like always.

Unless you have the Ultimate Drinks Package 😉 

Just a point worth making here for those that don't want to use the app for drinks... just imagine that the medallion is your cruise card. Everything you used to do with your cruise card you can do with the medallion... order drinks, unlock your room, register you leaving/boarding the ship etc. Basically, the medallion is just an electronic cruise card. The difference is that there is the app as well for those that want to use it 🙂

Edited by Snaxmuppet

49 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Unless you have the Ultimate Drinks Package 😉 

Just a point worth making here for those that don't want to use the app for drinks... just imagine that the medallion is your cruise card. Everything you used to do with your cruise card you can do with the medallion... order drinks, unlock your room, register you leaving/boarding the ship etc. Basically, the medallion is just an electronic cruise card. The difference is that there is the app as well for those that want to use it 🙂

If that is the case, then why of why do I have to go thru the torture of this frigging app???  

• Like 3

Guest Snaxmuppet
16 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

If that is the case, then why of why do I have to go thru the torture of this frigging app???  

Well, I didn't say that you didn't need the app for inputting your documents etc before you board! Even then, you don't have to use the app because as I understand it, you can do it all at the terminal but it will delay you getting on board.

I was just saying that once on board you won't need the app as you can do everything that you used to do with your cruise card but with the medallion 🙂 

2 hours ago, wcflats said:

I have a special rfid blocker holder for my medallion that when I use it is fun to watch the bartenders reaction when he or she is trying to get the drink for me.  Jus enjoying the cruise and having fun!😀Does not sound so enjoyable or fun for the bartender who is trying to get through his or her 12 hour shift

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabySarge said:

You don't. Just show up and they will take care of you.

• Like 1

And unless I am mistaken you can get an old style cruise card as well rather than use the medallion.  Can anyone verify that ?  I don't intend to use the app at all while on board, I like interacting with bartenders and wait staff

13 minutes ago, memoak said:

And unless I am mistaken you can get an old style cruise card as well rather than use the medallion.  Can anyone verify that ?  I don't intend to use the app at all while on board, I like interacting with bartenders and wait staff

You don't need a cruise card for that. The Medallion takes the place of the cruise card. No app interaction needed.

39 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You don't need a cruise card for that. The Medallion takes the place of the cruise card. No app interaction needed.

One issue is that with the medallion they can track me.  Something I really don’t like

27 minutes ago, memoak said:

One issue is that with the medallion they can track me.  Something I really don’t like

Yeah, like they don't already know you are on the ship?  Do you have FB? Ever been asked to "check in" when you visit someplace? Google can track you anywhere you go as well. Try visiting London. You will be on CCTV essentially all the time. I don't care if they know where I am on the ship. It has zero effect on me. I actually like that they can track down the folks who refuse to muster, fail to show up when required so they can "clear the ship" for B2B cruises, etc.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

Yeah, like they don't already know you are on the ship?  Do you have FB? Ever been asked to "check in" when you visit someplace? Google can track you anywhere you go as well. Try visiting London. You will be on CCTV essentially all the time. I don't care if they know where I am on the ship. It has zero effect on me. I actually like that they can track down the folks who refuse to muster, fail to show up when required so they can "clear the ship" for B2B cruises, etc.

I don’t Facebook and the only social media is here. Don’t like big brother either. We somehow got by for most of our lives without cell phones, voice mail and social media. 

Guest Snaxmuppet
9 hours ago, memoak said:

Why don't you like it?

I assume you are not going in to places you shouldn't. So why don't you like them tracking you? I assume you want the cruise line to make improvements for your benefit... well by tracking they can get evidence of where people go and where they don't go and they can then tailor their service and environment to make your cruise more enjoyable.

This isn't "big brother" in that sense. It is information gathering to make improvements... improvements to make the staff and operation of the ship more efficient (which helps keeps costs down) and improvements in the passenger experience.

The fact that they can track us is good.

8 hours ago, memoak said:

I don’t Facebook and the only social media is here. Don’t like big brother either. We somehow got by for most of our lives without cell phones, voice mail and social media. 

Sure... we also got by for centuries without the internal combustion engine and cars, electricity and medicine... I don't suppose you'd give up those because you don't like progress though!

Technology is there to improve our lives, not make it worse. Don't fight it and you might actually start to see how it can help you. 

17 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Technology is there to improve our lives, not make it worse. Don't fight it and you might actually start to see how it can help you. 

And just think how much the pre-cruise use of the app is technology that has improved our lives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guest Snaxmuppet
11 minutes ago, caribill said:

And just think how much the pre-cruise use of the app is technology that has improved our lives.

Yes... done wrong it makes things worse!

My comment is a general one regarding tech in general and progress in general. I am not suggesting that MedallionClass is a good example right now but I am sure it will improve to the point where most people couldn't imaging going back.

Also, I am not suggesting that a technical solution is always the best solution. Sometimes the "old fashioned" way is actually the better way. But not always 🙂 

16 hours ago, memoak said:

Yes, but why? You can do everything with the medallion that you can with the card no need for the app!!! The medallion in its included case is just about the same size as the card.

this week they have issued old school cards for people whose Medallions aren’t working. 

just remember that for all tech you have the early adopters who love to see what the new things do and they are the testers. And then you have the majority of people who will follow along once the early adopters prove something valuable. And the bottom 1/3 of people will never adopt the tech. It’s just not important to them. 

So you will always have land lines. Always have handwritten letters. Always have photo processing businesses. 

Same here. Order drinks. Show up early for dinner to get a table you want. Make friends with the crew and get that personal touch!

But also be amazed that the door welcomes you. And I can order a coffee to my balcony at 5:30am. 😉

CF7DAAFB-4CAE-4C2C-ABE8-1CAC733F653D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Some day when the Medallion system is working properly, it will make things much simpler, but in the mean time just trying to get myself checked back into the Green lane (as I once was) is very frustrating.

I think I'll just order my drinks at the bar like I used to.  😉

3 hours ago, RonPaula said:

“And the bottom 1/3 of people will never adopt the tech.” It’s this type of language that creates division on CC. Words and intention matter even more when writing.

I am perfectly willing to adapt to the pre-cruise tech even if it is taking 5x as much time as the old way of using a PC.

However Princess is not willing to make the app compatible with any of the digital devices we own.

• Like 1