Ordering A drink from a LIVE bartender?

Sunset329

If you look at my signature here, you will notice that Karen and I have been on a buncha cruises. Lots of good times. I have in my dresser drawer all the cruise cards from all those cruises enclosed in a rubber band. This medallion thing doesn't fit in with that.

Jim

26 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

If you look at my signature here, you will notice that Karen and I have been on a buncha cruises. Lots of good times. I have in my dresser drawer all the cruise cards from all those cruises enclosed in a rubber band. This medallion thing doesn't fit in with that.

Jim

And before the cruise cards .... they had older technology.  Keys probably.

38 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

Jim

But they work nice as refrigerator magnets!   😁

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 7:21 AM, bflysmile said:

this week they have issued old school cards for people whose Medallions aren’t working. 

just remember that for all tech you have the early adopters who love to see what the new things do and they are the testers. And then you have the majority of people who will follow along once the early adopters prove something valuable. And the bottom 1/3 of people will never adopt the tech. It’s just not important to them. 

So you will always have land lines. Always have handwritten letters. Always have photo processing businesses. 

Same here. Order drinks. Show up early for dinner to get a table you want. Make friends with the crew and get that personal touch!

But also be amazed that the door welcomes you. And I can order a coffee to my balcony at 5:30am. 😉

CF7DAAFB-4CAE-4C2C-ABE8-1CAC733F653D.jpeg

I am  so disappointed that it does not open the door for you and propel you into the room. /s

Edited by brisalta
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:48 AM, donaldsc said:

When I go to a food emporium or bar, I tip the person who TAKES my order and then delivers the order.  Since I can't tip Medallion, I guess that it means that if at all possible there will be no tip when I get a drink.  

DON

The bartender still makes the drink and the waiter still has to deliver the drink. The tip is added to the price of the drink but you can still tip cash if you would like.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:39 PM, memoak said:

One issue is that with the medallion they can track me.  Something I really don’t like

They are tracking you with every swipe of the card so there really is no difference.  I understand not wanting to use the App but I don't understand the issue of being tracked unless you are doing something illegal.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 5:13 PM, memoak said:

I don’t Facebook and the only social media is here. Don’t like big brother either. We somehow got by for most of our lives without cell phones, voice mail and social media. 

They also got by for centuries sailing around the world on a sailboat and they didn't have electric or indoor plumbing. I'm not willing to go back to that either.

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

They are tracking you with every swipe of the card so there really is no difference.  I understand not wanting to use the App but I don't understand the issue of being tracked unless you are doing something illegal.

Some people do not want their spouse to know what cabin they are visiting.

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:28 PM, JimnKaren said:

Jim

Maybe the medallion doesn't fit in with the rubber band method in a drawer that you may look at once in a while.  Our medallions fit nicely on our magnetic boards which also have magnets from all the places we have been and we can see these all the time and remember at a glance what a wonderful voyage we had.

• Like 1

I would recommend that for all those that really don't have a clue as to what and why the medallion does that they go to their YouTube website and search for MedallionClass Mondays and view all the very informative short videos on all the advantages the medallion offers and how you can use these advantages without having to carry you smart phone or tablet with you to enjoy them.

To help you with this, here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=medallionclass+monday

On 8/3/2021 at 8:11 AM, Sunset329 said:

I am old school. I like walking up to a bar and ordering a drink directly from the bartender. I can't imagine talking or playing with my phone to order a drink. With the Medallion cruise, will I be able to simply order a drink directly from a bartender? You know what they say about old dogs!

I'm with you! I rather walk up to the bar and chit chat with the bar tender while ordering and having my drink! Not using that app. Anytime I try to log in, all it does is flush the toilet downstairs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grego said:

I would recommend that for all those that really don't have a clue as to what and why the medallion does that they go to their YouTube website and search for MedallionClass Mondays and view all the very informative short videos on all the advantages the medallion offers and how you can use these advantages without having to carry you smart phone or tablet with you to enjoy them.

To help you with this, here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=medallionclass+monday

Thanks for the corporate recommendation.  But many of us DO have a clue. In fact, many of us are not idiots when it comes to using digital or smart personal media and devices. In my case, I won't be using it, not because I'm 'befuddled' by it, but because it doesn't work, no matter how many different devices I use it on and how many attempts by PCL's technical support teams from Level 2, or higher, have tried to correct via their phone support.

2 hours ago, PRNole47 said:

Thanks for the corporate recommendation.  But many of us DO have a clue. In fact, many of us are not idiots when it comes to using digital or smart personal media and devices. In my case, I won't be using it, not because I'm 'befuddled' by it, but because it doesn't work, no matter how many different devices I use it on and how many attempts by PCL's technical support teams from Level 2, or higher, have tried to correct via their phone support.

The Medallion itself works. All it ever does (and this is the only thing it does) is send a signal identifying the holder to a ship's computer which then enables such things as unlocking a cabin door, identifying the holder to the person scanning people on/off the ship, etc.

All the things you are correctly describing have to do with the app, especially pre-cruise.

What does not work is the app.

3 hours ago, PRNole47 said:

I'm with you! I rather walk up to the bar and chit chat with the bar tender while ordering and having my drink! Not using that app. Anytime I try to log in, all it does is flush the toilet downstairs.

😁 as long as there are bar stools to be sat in, I'll be in one.  

• Like 2