Carnival cant answer our covid testing questions

Not sure if this has been asked, but what happens if you do not receive test results in time?  I have a PCR test schedule for the Saturday before my Tuesday sailing.  In theory, CVS claims the turnaround is 1-2 days, but with a Sunday in the mix who knows?  Does anyone know what will happen if by check in time you still haven’t received your results? And yes, I have exhausted all “free” sites available and at least as of today, could not find any rapid tests here in Seattle (or they are being prioritized for those showing symptoms so I do not qualify).

4 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Not sure if this has been asked, but what happens if you do not receive test results in time?  I have a PCR test schedule for the Saturday before my Tuesday sailing.  In theory, CVS claims the turnaround is 1-2 days, but with a Sunday in the mix who knows?  Does anyone know what will happen if by check in time you still haven’t received your results? And yes, I have exhausted all “free” sites available and at least as of today, could not find any rapid tests here in Seattle (or they are being prioritized for those showing symptoms so I do not qualify).

I would have to assume that if your results do not show up in time, you would be denied boarding.  We luckily have a half dozen CVS locations that we can get the rapid antigen test at, but I have decided to go right to the source and get a PCR test done at a local Quest Lab.  They say 24 hours, so I have triple the time to get the results.  Have heard that sometimes the antigen test comes back with a false positive, another reason to get the PCR test.

10 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I would have to assume that if your results do not show up in time, you would be denied boarding.  We luckily have a half dozen CVS locations that we can get the rapid antigen test at, but I have decided to go right to the source and get a PCR test done at a local Quest Lab.  They say 24 hours, so I have triple the time to get the results.  Have heard that sometimes the antigen test comes back with a false positive, another reason to get the PCR test.

How far from the port are ya? 

19 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I believe you will be denied boarding. This is being discussed to someone it happened to on the celebrity board. And I believe I saw that in the carnival announcement as well.

1 hour ago, chefchick said:

I am on the Tuesday 8/24 sailing from Seattle on the Miracle.  I live in Anacortes and I have a Saturday morning appointment at the Bellingham airport.  They say 1-2 days turnaround time including weekends.  I’m crossing my fingers, but my understanding is that Carnival will deny boarding if we can’t produce a negative covid test prior to final boarding time.  So we’re in the same “boat.” Good luck to us both!

Edited by nwcruiselover
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, travelplus said:

If Carnival can't answer your questions on testing then how can you enforce the policy?

Try telling that to them if and when they deny you boarding and see how far it gets you.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, MrMarc said:

When you follow this and other advice and show up with a self administered home test and are not only refused boarding, but also denied a refund, not one of you better complain about it.  You have officially been told and warned.  If you choose to do this, you have no one to blame but yourself for listening to posters on these boards rather than information provided through official sources, and just using a minimal amount of common sense.  Does anyone actually think that accepting self administered tests is in any way a good idea?

Carnival website states at home tests are not accepted.

16 minutes ago, travelplus said:

If Carnival can't answer your questions on testing then how can you enforce the policy?

I agree. We can't get rapid testing that works for our August 14th cruise. We will have to cancel if they won't allow Emed Abbott BinaxNow AG test through a proctor.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 8:49 AM, topaz123 said:

I found a local pharmacy that does the PCR test, can that be used in place of the ANTIGEN test? Would that qualify.   Still getting conflicted on the 3 day rule. We sail on Sunday, so let's say I get the test on Thursday.....Thursday to Friday ( 1 day) Friday to Saturday (2), and then Sunday 3. Correct?

Yes, Test on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday for a Sunday cruise. 

On 8/7/2021 at 8:49 AM, topaz123 said:

I found a local pharmacy that does the PCR test, can that be used in place of the ANTIGEN test? Would that qualify.   Still getting conflicted on the 3 day rule. We sail on Sunday, so let's say I get the test on Thursday.....Thursday to Friday ( 1 day) Friday to Saturday (2), and then Sunday 3. Correct?

For a Sunday cruise, you can get tested on Thursday, Friday or Sunday.

7 minutes ago, DB2VA said:

For a Sunday cruise, you can get tested on Thursday, Friday or Sunday.

Sorry, correction for a Sunday cruise, you can get tested on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Or even on Sunday if you want. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, MrMarc said:

When you follow this and other advice and show up with a self administered home test and are not only refused boarding, but also denied a refund, not one of you better complain about it.  You have officially been told and warned.  If you choose to do this, you have no one to blame but yourself for listening to posters on these boards rather than information provided through official sources, and just using a minimal amount of common sense.  Does anyone actually think that accepting self administered tests is in any way a good idea?

This is exactly why (see quote below).  With such a quick change in policy some do not have the luxury of living in an area with wide access to the appropriate test.  You are right, is it a risk? Yes.  Do people need to do their own research and make their own decisions, of course.  But you have to take a step back and see why they will not allow an at home test.  If i just show up with a test kit that shows a negative result on it, there is nothing that shows that I took the test.  This is what they are protecting against.  The test I posted about yes, is administered yourself, but has to be proctored, and the test kit opened in front of the proctor and the results seen by the proctor.  It’s no different than the tests i took at CVS that I did in a drive through and someone watched me do it.  But somehow you seem to think its is different?  Carnival cant get into the game of saying 1 test is good and another isn’t, there are too many variations out there so they best they can do is blanket statements like these.  I am not showing up with a test kit I am showing up with a report from a lab with the required information showing a negative result.  This test is also FDA authorized and CDC approved for international travel and re-admission to the US.  So In the case such as below, I think it is a viable option and is pretty much common sense.    

As with anything, you have to do your own research, make your own decisions that is right for you and your circumstances.  These boards are to help one another and sharing this kind of information does exactly that, I’m not sure it’s warranted to insult others just because you disagree on a point.  We are all just trying to figure this out under changing and very stressful circumstances.

18 minutes ago, Stldan said:

I agree. We can't get rapid testing that works for our August 14th cruise. We will have to cancel if they won't allow Emed Abbott BinaxNow AG test through a proctor.

Edited by Steelers0854

1 hour ago, DB2VA said:

Sorry, correction for a Sunday cruise, you can get tested on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Or even on Sunday if you want. 

tHANKS...GETTING A LITTLE SHAKEY ON THE 3 DAY RULE....AIR LINE RESERVATION, ETC. HOTEL..TOUGH CALL. tHANKS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stldan said:

Do you have a Quest Lab or equivalent near you to get a PCR test?

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Do you have a Quest Lab or equivalent near you to get a PCR test?

No we don't The local Quest labs (within 4 hours of us) promise 3 to 4 day results for PCR. It's crazy. Who knew there would be a test storage. We are still looking like crazy but I can't even get Carnival to respond to me on this and I'm a travel agent. 

16 hours ago, chefchick said:

Just to let you know. I did a PCR test this Saturday and got my results at 5:30 am on Monday. 
Hope it makes you feel a little better

• Like 2

16 hours ago, chefchick said:

15 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

I am on the Tuesday 8/24 sailing from Seattle on the Miracle.  I live in Anacortes and I have a Saturday morning appointment at the Bellingham airport.  They say 1-2 days turnaround time including weekends.  I’m crossing my fingers, but my understanding is that Carnival will deny boarding if we can’t produce a negative covid test prior to final boarding time.  So we’re in the same “boat.” Good luck to us both!

Same boat, too!  We are coming from the east coast...fingers crossed and good luck to us all!  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, topaz123 said:

tHANKS...GETTING A LITTLE SHAKEY ON THE 3 DAY RULE....AIR LINE RESERVATION, ETC. HOTEL..TOUGH CALL. tHANKS

I agree it is hard to track,  I need a test 3 days before my flight to the US and to board the ship since im flying in the day before the one test should be sufficient for both it i get it two days before my flight.  Also need a test 72 hours before my return flight to Canada.  Going to have to figure out the times on this one so i can schedule for the correct time which is trickier than the days one.   Sigh vacation shouldnt be so hard.

On 8/5/2021 at 5:09 PM, Steelers0854 said:

For those needing an antigen test check out https://www.emed.com

We ordered from them 6 total tests for $150.  Self administered at home via video chat.  They provide proof via their app in minutes that you can show as proof of a negative test result.  This is also accepted by several major air carriers as proof if you need to return home to the US from abroad.  We planned on taking them with us next month when we sail on the Pride just in case something happens and we needed to fly home.  Glad we bought them as we now have them for this new requirement.

I received them the day after i bought them, VERY fast shipping times.

One Note: These test are only good through January.  Their site says 12 months from manufacturing date, what they fail to disclose is that they made all the kits in January 2021, so no matter when you order the kit is only good till January 2022.  

I'm with you on rolling the dice with this option. It is assuring that this is recognized by FDA,  CDC  and certain airlines. This is telehealth working and requires a prescription to be issued by eMed upon approval. The QR code via Navica seems also key in serving as digital certification. I also filed a receipt with  my health flex spending account and awaiting disposition if they will reimburse me. At the least, I have purchased home testing kits and at best: 1) Carnival will recognize this method;  2) I get reimbursed for the testing kit and proctored tests; and 3) this will become a lesson learned for me and others.

I'm curious when is everyone who is banking on this option will cruise? My cruise with Carnival is not until October. I fly into LAX the day before the cruise which departs on a Monday.

FYI. Still waiting for my "Carnival Travel Planner," to call me back on these questions too.

Stay safe and vigilant everyone.

Edited by chamorroroots

On 8/8/2021 at 6:29 PM, Stldan said:

@Stldandid you ever get confirmation as to whether or not Emed will be accepted?

Looks like Carnival updated and will allow certain proctored self-tests.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

Is a self-test acceptable?

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.