The Daily for Thursday August 05, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Underwear actually has it's own day - who knew?  I'm not a fan of oysters, although smoked oysters with soy sauce and lemon are a nice snack once in a while.  If I worked like our neighbour's dog, I'd have a sore throat from all that stupid barking!  LOL

The quote for the day is funny - whatever happened to Paula Poundstone?  She seems to have dropped off the map.  

@smitty34877 - thank you for sharing photos of Miss Camilla - and please continue to do so; we need more good news like that!  I'm sad to hear Tana isn't doing well; hopefully the antibiotics and oxygen will give her the boost she needs.

Thank you to everyone for your extra prayers for my friend; she is having her double mastectomy this morning, and is very worried about the outcome.  I'd like to be able to help her, but she's over a thousand miles away and we can't cross the US border yet, so prayers are  the best thing I can offer her right now.

It's going to be a busy day for us, getting the house ready for our family's arrival tomorrow.  I've got ground beef in the fridge waiting to be made up into hamburger patties and frozen for later in the week.  Some of the beef will be turned into porcupine balls that DS always looks forward to when he comes home.  We've got a large glass coffee table in the living room that we'll be dismantling and putting into a spare room so our little 1.5 year old DGS doesn't gouge out an eye, or get a concussion from falling on.   We're putting pool noodles around the glass side tables for protection. DH is already out watering the lawns so both DGS's have a nice, soft place to play and run around, and the list continues.

I like today's menu suggestion, but will tuck it away for another day, as some of the hamburger patties will end up on the barbecue for us for dinner tonight.  That combined with some seasoned potatoes and a side salad will be what's happening on our table this evening.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the Cheers list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry   

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm but overcast day at the beach

I wonder where the phrase " work like a dog" came from? All the dogs we have had or known had a pretty restful life. Lol

Never been to todays port. Will be great to see pictures.

Today is our 43rd wedding anniversary. Hard to believe. It has been a journey that is for sure. But it is great to be at this point of our lives still preferring each others company. We are truly blessed.

@aliaschief Safe travels and hope you have a wonderful trip! 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 29

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

A  very  good  morning  to  everyone and  thanks  so  much  for  the Daily.  I  am  so  glad  that  underwear  has  it's  own day. I  love  oysters  and  would  work  like  a  dog  if  I  could  be  like  Fred.He  seems  to  enjoy  his  life  and  is  always  curious. Yesterday  we  sat  on  the  front  steps  and  watched the  Con  Edison  workers  dig  up  a  section  of  the  street. Very  entertaining.

I  promise  not  to  bore  people  with  endless  baby  pictures  but  I  had  to  have  one  with  Miss  Camilla  in  the  arms  of  her  Great  Grandma yesterday.  Things  seem  to  be  going  well  so  we  are  all  breathing  a  sign  of  relief.

Tana  remains  in  the  hospital   and  can  now  have  no  visitors. We  face  time  her  during  dinner so  that  she  can  see  her  son   and  the  dog who  sits  under  the  table  when  we  eat. She  is  on  oxygen and  IV  antibiotics  again.

Have  a  very  good  day  everyone  and  thanks  again  for  the  support.

Terry

Would love to see your pictures.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Today is our 43rd wedding anniversary. Hard to believe. It has been a journey that is for sure. But it is great to be at this point of our lives still preferring each others company. We are truly blessed.

Happy Anniversary to you !  ! !  Best wishes for many more wonderful, healthy years together!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

@aliaschief,hope the practice run goes well.I will be thinking of you both tomorrow  when the journey begins.

@grapau27,It is so nice to see your beach and I love the shelter

Fred working away

20200729_141957.jpg

Thank you.

Fred looks content.

We are back in the car now as it is a lot cooler and still very windy.

Take care.

Graham.

16281703749391044600898052508742.jpg

16281707399651224451243170997254.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 20

Good morning everyone. Today will be Sam’s last in house PT . Yesterday’s visit to the cardiologist went well and he and a cardiac surgeon think the blood clot might be caused by the mesh in the aortic repair he had back in 2013. When they confirm there is no longer a brain bleed he will go on a stronger blood thinner.

Take care everyone,

Carol

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

I wonder where the phrase " work like a dog" came from? All the dogs we have had or known had a pretty restful life. Lol

Happy Anniversary. Wishing you many more years of wedded bliss!

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Happy Anniversary!

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

16281703749391044600898052508742.jpg

Hey Graham,

I will match your "Seagull by the Shore" with a "Pigeon on a Pew".

Yesterday, while we were having Vacation Bible School at the church, a pigeon named Darryl visited. He was quite interested in being around the children. If we closed one door, he would walk around the outside of the building and find another open door (we are attempting to have as many windows and doors open as possible for COVID-19 protocols). 

323982075_pigeononapew.thumb.JPG.0698f231319ad7c5127fed8e7cecb615.JPG

• Like 22
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Congratulations on your 43rd wedding anniversary today.

Best wishes for many more.

Graham.

• Like 11

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich for the Fleet report and Daily. Roy thanks for prayer and celebration list.

Prayers for Gerry's friends surgery today. Jacqui how is your friends husband doing? SL Sal, glad your procedure is behind you and hoping the next two are uneventful. Prayers for Tana, Camilla and all on our prayer list.

I like fried oysters. The tiny sweet ones from Apalachicola. Our (rip) dog was a working dog. Mackenzie wanted to help with anything inside or out. She'd help drag a hose, helped me vacuum (walked back and forth) help start the lawn mower (barked til it started) but best of all would help me take sheets and towels downstairs to the laundry room when we had our B & B. She'd run upstairs, take a towel and run back down. She was a border collie/blue heeler. The best..

Yesterday my newest Mahjongg student got Mahjongg. She danced around like she won the lottery. Tonight's game is more of a social party. I love our neighborhood. 

Have a blessed day. Prayers and Cheers!

image.png.1601a8e8d71b9ae68db17cad50a1fd39.png

image.png.ecbf8cb1e2c7145edcdc8c86ab3829f2.png

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good grief, this did not post earlier. Luckily it did not disappear. 

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What an interesting combination of days to celebrate. I would be happy to work as hard as Bindi - she is happily snoring next to me now that her belly is full. 🐶 I do feel a bit badly for those folk who “go commando”, they have one less day to celebrate. 😞

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Thinking of you Sandi, I was not joking when I said you were my role model. I would like to think that I would have made the same decision.  Terry, I am so sorry that Tana’s condition has worsened again. And somehow I doubt that you could ever bore me with any picture of Camilla!❤️

Morning Dailyite family!  My energy ran out before making falafel for my supper last night.  So I may try it tonight. A friend said that Aldi actually has frozen falafel that is quite good, so I may pick some up to try. 

The sun is out, there is a lovely breeze and for now - no humidity. The rains have certainly kept things moist here. No plans for the day - other than Bindi walks. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand

All released vintages of this wine have excellent ratings. In fact the 2019 and 2020 vintages are so neck & neck rating and price wise - pick up the one you find locally. You might even find it for less than the $23.97 price ai found on line. I have had this lovely wine, and I may even have a bottle in my “cellar”.  I chose the 2019 vintage for the reviews, because that came up first. 

Winemaker Notes

The 2019 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc is immediately expressive in the glass, with notes of bright, ripe citrus, kaffir lime, passion fruit and white peach. The palate is vibrant and mouthwatering, with concentrated, juicy tropical notes melding with zesty citrus, stone fruits and subtle notes of orchard blossom. The palate is underpinned by a lively grapefruit acidity, carrying the intense fruit characters through to an impressively long finish.

Pair this with fresh and simply prepared seafood, steamed mussels with parsley and garlic, and Spanish Gazpacho.

WS93 Wine Spectator: Vibrant and expressive, with bold Key lime, passion fruit and tangerine flavors that are succulent and show off details of litsea, lemon verbena and makrut lime leaf, accented by a vibrant thread of acidity.

JS91 James Suckling: Plenty of tropical fruit and a grassy edge, too. This has so much fruit character and delivers mangoes and limes in abundance on the palate. Drink now. Screw cap.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast: This vintage of Marlborough’s most famous label is a balanced, refreshing drop. Bright aromas of grapefruit, peaches n’ cream, lemongrass and tomato leaf lead to a palate that crunches with acidity while also being slippery and juicy-fruited. A summer sipper with or without food.

• Like 29

Good morning all!

Weather app shows 30% chance of rain over the weekend...we shall see!

Nice to know that underwear has its own day, will pass on the oysters and meal.  It has been a long time since I've "worked like a dog", but as others have said, it wouldn't be too hard to work that hard!

I LOVE NZ Sauvignon Blancs, and pretty much 99% of the wine I drink now are NZ SBs.  I'm sure I've had Cloudy Bay also.

Interesting news yesterday.  We still haven't received notification from HAL about our cruise although some on the roll call have.  They could be starting on earlier segments though.  In any case we plan to roll with the punches and go if HAL goes.  

@ger_77enjoy your family visit!  It's been a few years since we've had to childproof the house, but I remember putting those pool noodles around -- especially counter edges that were eye-level for them.

@cunnorlHappy Anniversary!!

• Like 24

Good Morning All,

Word around here is it should be a bit cooler today. Let me re-phrase that:Not as hot as yesterday. We lost the humidity, and the grasses are much drier. Noticed on yesterday’s ride that they “scalped” some of the trail side brush, and am hoping they do the same in our local State park. The areas that didn’t burn last year are still dense with dry brush and mustard that has not yet crumbled.

My contribution for Work Like a Dog day is a what a portion of the family room looks like after our Golden Retriever has had a hard working evening:

C05D9EFC-2F61-40B8-8F03-6B5510AAF66F.thumb.jpeg.3b4a380e319f674e1ecead7a2a65de43.jpeg

By the way, His Nibs doesn’t clean up after himself.

(Thankfully he doesn’t “do” underwear. He only once stole DH’s chones and greeted him at the door with them in his mouth.)

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 23
  • Haha 5

@cunnorlHappy anniversary wishes to you both!  Enjoy celebrating!

@ger_77I hope the visit goes well with the family.  I can tell you are very excited while making preparations for their arrival.  Can't wait to hear how it all goes.

@mamaofamigreat news about Sam from the doctors!  Keep that good news coming!

• Like 15

The grocery run didn’t take long, and I was home in an hour.  Before 9am or a little later, the store is never crowded which I like.  It was cool, 72F, and not humid so I could put the top down driving to and from the store.  I'll enjoy the cooler, less humid mornings while they last because our August heat will return, but hopefully not the humidity.

Looks like my morning will be busy with getting the meat in the freezer, and straightening it and the pantry so I'll have an idea of what we have.

@cunnorlHAPPY 43rd ANNIVERSARY 🥂  Wishing you both many more happy years together.

@ger_77 Gerry, enjoy your visit with your family.

@mamaofami  Carol, glad Sam had a good report from the doctor yesterday.  Good news they know what caused the blood clot and a have way to prevent another one.

@aliaschief. Have a safe trip tomorrow and a wonderful and healthy cruise.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21

Good morning - I'm a little earlier than usual, so made it onto page 2, I think!  Thanks to all who post, and I am hoping and praying for all who need the prayers, especially Tana, @smitty34877.   What a dreadful time she is having.  

The paper today announced that all new cases of Covid here on the island are Delta.  So there we are.  Wave Four.  Very discouraging.  Plus all the changes to cruising are making for a not-so-good day.  

We have had two hard-working dogs, one a Kenyan Jack Russell who was a great ratter and loved to dig.  He helped all he could in the garden - you just  had to point at a spot and say "Dig here" and he went to work, of  course all the earth went flying so there was nothing around to fill the hole back up with.  Later we had an Alaskan chocolate Lab (we said he was part grizzly) who was a wonderful helper - he fetched the paper every morning (as long as it was properly rubber-banded, if it wasn't all the innards fell out when he tried to pick it up) and had a special basket he would carry about to help me in the garden and bring in the vegetables.  Also I had to buy something that he could carry whenever I shopped, so that he could help by bringing it in.   I miss them both.

That chicken looks delicious, I will save the recipe, because we have some red wine we need to finish off we are going to share a steak tonight.  

• Like 25