FCC questions (no longer can sail)

I never thought I’d be a non cruiser but I hear things like you have to be tested, you have to wear a mask, you have be vaccinated… 

I know I’m not allowed to have my FCC money back at this point but that doesn’t seem right to me that they changed the rules of cruising which either disqualifies me (vaccine) or makes cruising too uncomfortable (masks) or makes it to annoying (tests) for me to cruise. 

Can anyone tell me how long I have to use my FCC which my original cruises were before the panic time?

12 minutes ago, JujuBear29 said:

I never thought I’d be a non cruiser but I hear things like you have to be tested, you have to wear a mask, you have be vaccinated… 

I know I’m not allowed to have my FCC money back at this point but that doesn’t seem right to me that they changed the rules of cruising which either disqualifies me (vaccine) or makes cruising too uncomfortable (masks) or makes it to annoying (tests) for me to cruise. 

Can anyone tell me how long I have to use my FCC which my original cruises were before the panic time?

From what I have been told, if you call Royal with your original booking number the FCC came from thay can tell you the expiration date of the FCC.

I don’t have any bookings right now. My bookings were made before COVID 19, except for one that I tried to rebook. So my FCCs are from long ago. I stopped trying to rebook because I am working in health care and they required me to be on a two week leave after sailing. 

Now I’m seeing too many loops to jump through to be able to sail, work requirements being another loop to jump through. So I will probably lose (if I haven’t already) my FCC. 

Is there no way to get my money back?

Also another question, does RCL out of Florida require the vaccination to be able to sail?

8 minutes ago, JujuBear29 said:

I don’t have any bookings right now. My bookings were made before COVID 19, except for one that I tried to rebook. So my FCCs are from long ago. I stopped trying to rebook because I am working in health care and they required me to be on a two week leave after sailing. 

Now I’m seeing too many loops to jump through to be able to sail, work requirements being another loop to jump through. So I will probably lose (if I haven’t already) my FCC. 

Is there no way to get my money back?

Also another question, does RCL out of Florida require the vaccination to be able to sail?

as of now, yes, even out of Florida, regardless of the length of the cruise

2 hours ago, JujuBear29 said:

2 hours ago, karena1 said:

as of now, yes, even out of Florida, regardless of the length of the cruise

Royal does not require you to be vaccinated to sail out of Florida except for one specific itinerary.

they do require all guests to take a PCR / Antigen test 3 days prior to boarding.

I agree - it’s NOT fair to some to have the known terms of cruising changed and not provide an option for a full refund - but at the same time it’s not fair to any line to expect them to give any and everyone a free pass to opt out of a sailing and to expect a full refund either - just as it’s unfair to any cruiser who prior to 2020 cancelled and forfeited money on their cruise. 

The big thing to me is the reason.

I can’t go because I do not have the vaccine/cannot take the vaccine - ok, if you booked PRIOR to this requirement- you should have an opt out for full refund - I mean they changed the rules in a major way - you had no reason to forsee this as happening (reasonably - I know some predicted it) - so refund is owed in my opinion (which of course means nothing). 

Now - when it comes to someone who booked KNOWING there was a vaccine requirement and now cannot obtain the vaccine for whatever reason (medical being only one I can see - gonna have a tough time with me saying it’s religious if you just adopted a new religion that suooorts this in the last 90-120 days) - the option should be there WiTH MEDICAL SUPPORTIVE DOCUMENTS on an exception basis - again my opinion only, and this would be a small amount of cruisers I suspect. 

Finally - the “I don’t want to” because of whatever reason - I think it’s reasonable to give a 2 year extension of a FCC. I mean obviously things won’t be back to pre 2020 standards by end of 2022 and more changes might be needed - so 2 years gives people time to get comfortable with the adjustments needed and the cruise lines times to re-establish things. If not used in 2 years - then you get a cash refund. It establishes some penalty on the cruiser (loss of use of funds for 2 years potentially) - while not forcing them to lose out on their money. Similar to if you bought a future cruise certificate aboard the ship and never used it. 

Apologies to the OP here - understood this had little to do with your question. Just my thought/opinion on all the people taking on with how unfair it is that the terms changed on their cruises and not wanting to accept them. 

Terms and conditions will always change and to an individual it might be a big deal - but to the public as a whole it may not. There needs to be some balance between the 2. It’s kind of like me saying I want my money back because I booked a flight and there was no drink service aboard or they ran out of my drink of choice  - to me it may be a big deal.. to others it’s ancillary to the fare. It’s not about making everyone happy - just applying the fairest treatment to everyone possible - including the lines themselves. 

4 minutes ago, djefferis said:

I agree - it’s NOT fair to some to have the known terms of cruising changed and not provide an option for a full refund - but at the same time it’s not fair to any line to expect them to give any and everyone a free pass to opt out of a sailing and to expect a full refund either - just as it’s unfair to any cruiser who prior to 2020 cancelled and forfeited money on their cruise. 

The big thing to me is the reason.

I can’t go because I do not have the vaccine/cannot take the vaccine - ok, if you booked PRIOR to this requirement- you should have an opt out for full refund - I mean they changed the rules in a major way - you had no reason to forsee this as happening (reasonably - I know some predicted it) - so refund is owed in my opinion (which of course means nothing). 

Now - when it comes to someone who booked KNOWING there was a vaccine requirement and now cannot obtain the vaccine for whatever reason (medical being only one I can see - gonna have a tough time with me saying it’s religious if you just adopted a new religion that suooorts this in the last 90-120 days) - the option should be there WiTH MEDICAL SUPPORTIVE DOCUMENTS on an exception basis - again my opinion only, and this would be a small amount of cruisers I suspect. 

Finally - the “I don’t want to” because of whatever reason - I think it’s reasonable to give a 2 year extension of a FCC. I mean obviously things won’t be back to pre 2020 standards by end of 2022 and more changes might be needed - so 2 years gives people time to get comfortable with the adjustments needed and the cruise lines times to re-establish things. If not used in 2 years - then you get a cash refund. It establishes some penalty on the cruiser (loss of use of funds for 2 years potentially) - while not forcing them to lose out on their money. Similar to if you bought a future cruise certificate aboard the ship and never used it. 

Apologies to the OP here - understood this had little to do with your question. Just my thought/opinion on all the people taking on with how unfair it is that the terms changed on their cruises and not wanting to accept them. 

Terms and conditions will always change and to an individual it might be a big deal - but to the public as a whole it may not. There needs to be some balance between the 2. It’s kind of like me saying I want my money back because I booked a flight and there was no drink service aboard or they ran out of my drink of choice  - to me it may be a big deal.. to others it’s ancillary to the fare. It’s not about making everyone happy - just applying the fairest treatment to everyone possible - including the lines themselves. 

They ARE giving refunds if you don't like the protocols which so far have only been announced for August

On 8/6/2021 at 11:03 AM, Jimbo said:

From what I have been told, if you call Royal with your original booking number the FCC came from thay can tell you the expiration date of the FCC.

Good luck with calling Royal -- I have been on hold for about 45 minutes now -- if you even get someone that answers you might get the wrong information. Total waste of time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

They ARE giving refunds if you don't like the protocols which so far have only been announced for August

Thats good to hear - I just question if that will remain in place for other sailings. 

As you say - August sailings only. Reality is probably half of the cruisers aren’t local to the port - so even if your a passenger on an eligible for refund sailing - you still probably have something to lose (air fare change refund you won’t get as cash back and potentially a hotel that won’t refund you). 

They need to provide some clarity for everyone throughout 2021 at least so passengers can make their decisions. Understanding no one can prefict what will change in 90-120 days - but you can be certain things won’t be going away completely in that time - only potentially more restrictive.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Royal does not require you to be vaccinated to sail out of Florida except for one specific itinerary.

they do require all guests to take a PCR / Antigen test 3 days prior to boarding.

exactly, you don't have to be vaccinated, but you do need the test.  I hate that we have to get the test but it is what it is.

I am sooooooo frustrated about this as well.  I had a cruise booked for July 2020.  When I called prior to final payment to see what my options were, I was told I could move my NRD to the same cruise in July 2021.  Wonderful, right?  Well then in December I get an email telling me that they sold the ship I was supposed to sail on in July 2021.  Now my FCC expires in March 2022.  I have absolutely no desire to mess with cruising right now as everything is so up in the air and a PITA (although I would have done it if I had been able to keep my July 2021 cruise).   Not to mention that the itinerary I  had booked isn't even sailing again until October of 2022!   But Royal doesn't care.  Not only will they not refund my FCC, they won't even extend it to a reasonable date when I could actually use it.  AND they were the ones who sold the ship!  I feel like they stole $750 from me. 

So enough of my griping, I do have a point. HA!  The agent did tell me if I worked in healthcare (I don't, but sounds like you do) that I could get a refund.  So, this might be some good news for you.  

5 minutes ago, travelinmoma said:

The agent did tell me if I worked in healthcare (I don't, but sounds like you do) that I could get a refund. 

You can get a refund for an August cruise regardless of where you work. You could apply your FCC to an August cruise and then turn around and cancel for a full refund (by claiming you don’t like the protocols). 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, travelinmoma said:

I am sooooooo frustrated about this as well.  I had a cruise booked for July 2020.  When I called prior to final payment to see what my options were, I was told I could move my NRD to the same cruise in July 2021.  Wonderful, right?  Well then in December I get an email telling me that they sold the ship I was supposed to sail on in July 2021.  Now my FCC expires in March 2022.  I have absolutely no desire to mess with cruising right now as everything is so up in the air and a PITA (although I would have done it if I had been able to keep my July 2021 cruise).   Not to mention that the itinerary I  had booked isn't even sailing again until October of 2022!   But Royal doesn't care.  Not only will they not refund my FCC, they won't even extend it to a reasonable date when I could actually use it.  AND they were the ones who sold the ship!  I feel like they stole $750 from me. 

So enough of my griping, I do have a point. HA!  The agent did tell me if I worked in healthcare (I don't, but sounds like you do) that I could get a refund.  So, this might be some good news for you.  

When your july cruise was cancelled didnt they give you an option for cash refund or l&s to another sailing?

I thought all fccs issued during cwc policy are good thru sept 2022?

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You can get a refund for an August cruise regardless of where you work. You could apply your FCC to an August cruise and then turn around and cancel for a full refund (by claiming you don’t like the protocols). 

Would that work?  August protocols have been released so they would be booking under current protocols??

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

When your july cruise was cancelled didnt they give you an option for cash refund or l&s to another sailing?

I thought all fccs issued during cwc policy are good thru sept 2022?

They refunded everything but my FCC( $750).  It has to be booked by March 2022 and sail by Sept 2022.  The itinerary I booked isn't even available again until October 2022.  I'm also a teacher, so no way I can take a week off in October.  😞

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

She told me I wouldn't get my FCC back because it was from an original NRD.  

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The cruise would have to be booked before they announced the protocols.  Best to book a September cruise where they have not announced them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The cruise would have to be booked before they announced the protocols. 

The protocols change almost daily. There’s a very good chance something will be announced before the end of the month which is not in the current protocols. Someone could have booked a short Freedom cruise a few days ago and I assume cancel now that they have to get tested. 

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The protocols change almost daily. There’s a very good chance something will be announced before the end of the month which is not in the current protocols. Someone could have booked a short Freedom cruise a few days ago and I assume cancel now that they have to get tested. 

True enough but they do have to change from when you booked.  Not sure what else they are going to change at this point.

So torn as to what to do next, Those future cruise credits are worth less and less each time I push back my next cruise.  Considering pushing my latest cancelation to April out of San Juan.    My first cancelation was a 9 day junior suite cruise, couldn't get me a balcony on some 7 day itineraries.

On 8/9/2021 at 10:08 PM, travelinmoma said:

At this point I'm just looking at it as a donation to Royal -my small part to keep a giant business from going under.  

I thought similarly when I chose FCC. 

But I did not chose FCC with the understanding that I could not sail without getting a vaccine. I would never have supported that.