No Pier Testing: Do The Cruise Lines Want To Lose More Money/Customers?

atexsix

6 minutes ago, Laminator said:

It must be a regional then as these are our options. We do have a few Walgreens in the area that offer the Rapid Antigen test but it seems like we have a Walgreens every other block here. Not that many but 4 within a 5 minute drive.
image.thumb.png.64d8af7dcb50ee71e1c967e1f881c76b.png

Yes! Thank you for posting this.  I was just going to post this exact information.  I will be getting the "Rapid Diagnostic Test ID NOW" at a Walgreens in western Wisconsin this coming Wednesday at 3:15 PM.  24 hour results by email. Because I live in a small town I will need to drive 45 miles to get it, but that is ok.  I'm used to that. 

Edited by Red Haired Lady
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cursail said:

The BinaxNOW ones available in Western Washington are reserved for people experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. Even if you were willing to lie, you can’t sign up in advance (obviously it’d be weird to sign up for a test a week from now if you had symptoms today). ID Now isn’t anywhere close to us. 

Fortunately we do not have availability issues here yet. I just picked up a prescription today and asked. The pharmacist says we would not have any problems. But that is now. Who knows what the future may bring.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Laminator said:

It must be a regional then as these are our options. We do have a few Walgreens in the area that offer the Rapid Antigen test but it seems like we have a Walgreens every other block here. Not that many but 4 within a 5 minute drive.
image.thumb.png.64d8af7dcb50ee71e1c967e1f881c76b.png

I suggest you do the fill in the blanks for a test run. The other thing that happens out here is it comes back none available. Seems the release dates and times about three days ahead of your date, then you race to get it. (A lot like a vaccination.) The other thing is the requirement for symptoms doesn't show up front. Don't see it till you are confirming your appointment. You need to check a box that says you have symptoms.

5 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

I suggest you do the fill in the blanks for a test run. The other thing that happens out here is it comes back none available. Seems the release dates and times about three days ahead of your date, then you race to get it. (A lot like a vaccination.) The other thing is the requirement for symptoms doesn't show up front. Don't see it till you are confirming your appointment. You need to check a box that says you have symptoms.

When I made my appt for this Wednesday, there were questions asking about symptoms (I have none) but that didn't matter.  They still do the test.  I even confirmed this by a phone call to the store before I filled out the form online. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

When I made my appt for this Wednesday, there were questions asking about symptoms (I have none) but that didn't matter.  They still do the test.  I even confirmed this by a phone call to the store before I filled out the form online. 

I saw this on one of the million sites I looked at yesterday too. They asked about symptoms. Then they asked if I had been exposed to covid. The next question after I had  answered no, asked if I had been in the grocery store, home improvement store or in a cab, rideshare or on a plane. In other words, they expected you to be exposed, if you'd left your home. 

16 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

I just did as you asked. I filled in no symptoms. 3 of the 5 Walgreens in area show many appts. available the next 2 days. I can pretty much pick any time of the day I want. As said earlier different areas will have different situations. 

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, aa7yy said:

Today I am a pessimist. Tried to call HAL today to cancel and they won't answer the phone. Seems they are overwhelmed.

Keep trying. The first time I called I got a recording saying "we are busy, try again" and disconnected.

I dialed another number and eventually someone picked up and was unhelpful... put me on hold and then got disconnected.
I persisted... I called again, got a delightful person on the other end that helped me out without any problems.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’d like to thank everyone on this thread for reminding me why we haven’t booked any cruises until October 2022. As much as I’d like to go sooner, waiting until HAL and the ports our BHBs visit have the wrinkles ironed out is not such a bad idea after all.

Someone has to help ironing out the wrinkles! You are welcome. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2021 at 10:05 PM, BJzink said:

I am on a cruise that requires passengers returning to the US to have a Covid test prior to entering the country.  Anyone know if the cruise lines are providing this on the ship?

You need to check with your specific cruise line.  Here on the Seabourn Ovation we were tested at embarkation and each Friday morning (antigen test which meets requirements for those flying back to the USA.  For those of us doing some traveling in Greece on our own it is pretty easy to find antigen testing sites that charge 20 Euros with results in a few minutes.  Many European airports such as ATH have testing sites which are also an option for a fast antigen test.   

Hank

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PSR said:

This is only for non-USA citizens or for people flying from the USA to another country, right? If we're just flying home from SEA to California we don't need a test, do we? I am so confused now with all the new rules.....🤔

I believe this is correct as of now.  You won't need a test at the end of the cruise to get on a plane from SEA to CA.

We just received a text last night that we have to provide a negative test within 72 hours of embarkation and test again immediately before boarding. This is in addition to our vaccination cards. We are doing a 2 day add on in Athens before we board on the 14th of August. Our hotel said they can arrange the 24 hour test for our family at 25euro each, which I set up, but it seems to me like Seabourn should have arranged this since we are on their pre cruise excursion.

10 hours ago, PSR said:

This is only for non-USA citizens or for people flying from the USA to another country, right? If we're just flying home from SEA to California we don't need a test, do we? I am so confused now with all the new rules.....🤔

I honestly don’t know the answer. The literal meaning would seem to indicate “all passengers,” but perhaps they mean all who need one, since that’s not a standard requirement now (although I have read where on other lines, unvaccinated passengers are tested a couple days before disembarkation.). I’m quite curious about this wording, as well.

26 minutes ago, leaj said:

We just received a text last night that we have to provide a negative test within 72 hours of embarkation and test again immediately before boarding. This is in addition to our vaccination cards. We are doing a 2 day add on in Athens before we board on the 14th of August. Our hotel said they can arrange the 24 hour test for our family at 25euro each, which I set up, but it seems to me like Seabourn should have arranged this since we are on their pre cruise excursion.

This is alarming

10 hours ago, cursail said:

The BinaxNOW ones available in Western Washington are reserved for people experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. Even if you were willing to lie, you can’t sign up in advance (obviously it’d be weird to sign up for a test a week from now if you had symptoms today). ID Now isn’t anywhere close to us. 

The nerve of them prioritizing people with symptoms over people who want to cruise.🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The nerve of them prioritizing people with symptoms over people who want to cruise.🤦‍♂️

This is an odd reply given I was explaining to people in other areas of the country that seem to be able to access the rapid antigen tests through Walgreens why we can and should not do that here. I have also made it clear in other posts that I have been in the situation of struggling to find Covid tests after a household member tested positive and so absolutely believe places should reserve tests for those most in need. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, leaj said:

I wonder when passengers who don’t have access to texts, or even email, will find out? Is the test immediately before boarding being provided by Seabourn?

Best wishes and safe travels for you and your family!

35 minutes ago, cursail said:

This is an odd reply given I was explaining to people in other areas of the country that seem to be able to access the rapid antigen tests through Walgreens why we can and should not do that here. I have also made it clear in other posts that I have been in the situation of struggling to find Covid tests after a household member tested positive and so absolutely believe places should reserve tests for those most in need. 

Sorry, if I offended you. I did not mean to. I meant my comment to be generic, not aimed at you. I just quoted you since it seemed to be relevant to what I was trying to say.

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

...For those of us doing some traveling in Greece on our own it is pretty easy to find antigen testing sites that charge 20 Euros with results in a few minutes....

I’m not trying to drift, but you mentioned Greece. Been seeing coverage of the fires, just heartbreaking. Have you been affected at all?

Safe Travels!

1 minute ago, syesmar said:

I’m not trying to drift, but you mentioned Greece. Been seeing coverage of the fires, just heartbreaking. Have you been affected at all?

Safe Travels!

We did smell smoke while in Piraeus last Saturday and there were a few hazy days in the islands but it has not been a major problem on this trip.  

Hank

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Sorry, if I offended you. I did not mean to. I meant my comment to be generic, not aimed at you. I just quoted you since it seemed to be relevant to what I was trying to say.

I keep trying to respond and my posts disappear. Thanks for the clarification. I became concerned my posts were being misinterpreted. No worries!

16 minutes ago, cursail said:

I keep trying to respond and my posts disappear....

That’s happening to me, too. I find refreshing the page and then going back into the Reply area will usually bring back my lost post. It asks me if I want to clear it, decline. Then hit Submit Reply.

I try now to highlight and copy before posting lately, in case it doesn’t come back.

Edited by syesmar

6 minutes ago, cursail said:

I keep trying to respond and my posts disappear. Thanks for the clarification. I became concerned my posts were being misinterpreted. No worries!

As an FYI this is where I garnered the info from on the accuracy of the rapid tests. I mistyped by stating 5% when I meant to type 4%. There are several of these clinics in the Chicago and NW Indiana area. Their website states you can be tested with or without symptoms. 

image.thumb.png.df4029c71d3fc006fda8012008fbef40.png

image.thumb.png.2935c5525742e1d65f739525e04f34e5.png

14 minutes ago, Laminator said:

As an FYI this is where I garnered the info from on the accuracy of the rapid tests. I mistyped by stating 5% when I meant to type 4%. There are several of these clinics in the Chicago and NW Indiana area. Their website states you can be tested with or without symptoms. 

image.thumb.png.df4029c71d3fc006fda8012008fbef40.png

image.thumb.png.2935c5525742e1d65f739525e04f34e5.png

They offer rapid molecular tests which looks for viral RNA not rapid antigen tests which look for viral protein. The molecular tests are more stringent so the 96% accuracy rate quoted here is likely regarding getting a false negative.