Remember When....

atexsix

On 8/8/2021 at 4:59 PM, syesmar said:

I miss the chilled soups and samples from the cooking shows.

So sad to hear they no longer serve chilled soups!!  One of my favorite things to look forward to was the chilled blueberry soup. 

Sitting around the pool one day, we won a “door prize” which was a Holland America Cookbook!!  I was excited to see the blueberry soup recipe there. So when I got home I tried it. It was delicious—-but Wow!—-the work!

I haven’t made it for a while,  I think it’s time for me to try it again. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rucrazy said:

I believe Celebrity had some clothing optional charters back in the early 00's..

I boarded a HAL ship in San Diego after it completed a "clothing optional" charter.  When I asked my Room Steward about it, he told me that he was not permitted to comment other than special cleaning took place each evening.

On another note, attending all of the Chocolate Seduction events and looking at my photos, I miss the culinary staff exhibiting their talents.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Crew News said:

I boarded a HAL ship in San Diego after it completed a "clothing optional" charter.  When I asked my Room Steward about it, he told me that he was not permitted to comment other than special cleaning took place each evening.

On another note, attending all of the Chocolate Seduction events and looking at my photos, I miss the culinary staff exhibiting their talents.

Wonder why "special cleaning" was required?

Are nude people more germ infested than clothed people? Probably cleaner.

And no, I'm not a nudist.  

17 minutes ago, HamOp said:

Wonder why "special cleaning" was required?

Are nude people more germ infested than clothed people? Probably cleaner.

And no, I'm not a nudist.  

Not sure i would want to sit on same furniture after dozens of people rubbed their unclothed butts on it.  I just feel sorry for the crew that work such an event...i would bet that many of the Muslim Indonesians are aghast at the entire display.  Are they given an "opt out" option with pay if they do not want to work?   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dockman said:

Not sure i would want to sit on same furniture after dozens of people rubbed their unclothed butts on it. 

Nudists carry a cloth with them, to be put under themselves when sitting. I would have no problem sitting on furniture following a nudist cruise. 

• Like 2

About the last thing I would want to see is a bunch of nude people on a cruise ship.    Even a trip to the beach often reveals more than I personally care to look at.  I do feel sorry for some of the crew who likely don't have a choice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy to say that, by the time we began cruising in 2008, we never heard of any "clothing optional" cruises. On the contrary, we loved the traditional atmosphee on HAL ships of dressing for dinner and old world elegance.

I try not to indulge in the unhappy habit of looking back with regret at what has changed.

As a long-time (since the early 1970s) cruiser, I feel that doing the "remember when" thing is counterproductive. Yes, there have been changes but not all of them are for the worse. Cruises are far cheaper in equivalent value than they once were. Balcony cabins were rare. There were few dining options outside the MDR at a regimented time for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And so on. 

While I enjoy and treasure my early cruising experiences (on an early Sitmar cruise as a kid I actually got to be the one who rang the dinner chimes), the only path is forward. 

For me, I think it's helpful that I cruise on a number of different lines and also take independent land trips and organized land tours. In other words, I vary my options and because of that I don't ever tire of being aboard a ship or spend too much time comparing it to previous cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dockman said:

About the last thing I would want to see is a bunch of nude people on a cruise ship.    Even a trip to the beach often reveals more than I personally care to look at.  I do feel sorry for some of the crew who likely don't have a choice.

One of the CC regulars used to do these cruises and blogged.  It is very well done and the crew opts in.  It sounded like so much fun wish I had the guts to try it!

54 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

One of the CC regulars used to do these cruises and blogged.  It is very well done and the crew opts in.  It sounded like so much fun wish I had the guts to try it!

so what do they do with the crew that ops out?  do they still get paid or move to another ship or ??  I just cannot imagine an Indonesian crew member, especially female,  opt in in to a nude cruise

19 minutes ago, dockman said:

so what do they do with the crew that ops out?  do they still get paid or move to another ship or ??  I just cannot imagine an Indonesian crew member, especially female,  opt in in to a nude cruise

Just to be clear, it's only the passengers that are allowed to go clothing optional.  The crew would be in normal uniforms (as I understand it).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

Nudists carry a cloth with them, to be put under themselves when sitting. I would have no problem sitting on furniture following a nudist cruise. 

Now how would know that? 😀

Several years ago I was watching the sailaway at Port Everglades and the Nieuw Amsterdam was passing buy. The camera zoomed onto a balcony and a couple were literally hanging over the balcony with no clothes on. I checked the internet and it was a chartered all nude cruise with HAL 😎 Oh I forgot to mention that I asked my DW for a pair of binoculars and I didn’t see the cloth under their behind.

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2021 at 11:40 AM, atexsix said:

This is gross, but you wouldn't believe the number of times hotel room service on land have told me to just leave it in the hall which I refuse to do.  I literally rinse all the dishes in the bathroom sink, throw out the garbage and neatly stack everything, then I leave a generous tip for housekeeping. 

wow you are GEM of a guy. 

And I agree, I HATE trays in the hallways of ship as they are narrow.

Feel bad for wheelchairs having to dodge.    I mean there are places in the cabin to put them even if you put them in the shower before you leave.  Room person will find it.  Heck might even turn on the water to rinse.  ha ha

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And I agree, I HATE trays in the hallways of ship as they are narrow.

Feel bad for wheelchairs having to dodge. 

Wheelchairs and scooters can't dodge. That's one of the problems. There isn't sufficient room, except for extra narrow scooters, or a transport chair.