The Daily for Sunday August 08, 2021

richwmn

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@DeeniEncinitas  The photo of the turtle is really good, and your painting is absolutely beautiful.

Hope this posts just once.  I'm having trouble to get it to post, so if it posts, it could be once or three times.  At least, when I tried after the first attempt, it was still in the place where you write posts. 🤞

Lenda 

Lenda, got it!  What is going on with our posts!! Mine will vanish and then I go back in and it is there! Sometimes my like button won’t work😡

Thank you!

Denise😊

I will come back this evening which will be late on my west coast sister Joy and east coast sister Ann!

• Like 5

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily!  Wow, I don't think I've ever been this late before - page 5 . . . busy times in our household.  My husband likes to tell people:  "My wife wanted a cat, but I didn't want a cat, so we compromised, and got a cat."  Works for me - and Sochi has Cat Day every day, as I'm sure others do as well.

Sochi.thumb.jpg.6b47f9b1821c5b205671f8c30abb2f47.jpg

I watched a number of Olympic events, but will be taping tonight's re-run of the closing ceremonies to watch another time.   We have been guilty of being Phantom Zucchini People a couple of summers when the garden at the farm produced more zucchini than you could ever imagine.  We baked, steamed, shredded, and froze as much as we possibly could, then it was time to distribute them to others.  We gathered up a bunch of grocery bags and under cover of darkness, left them on people's doorsteps - including ours, so people wouldn't suspect us - to be found the next morning.  To this day, I'm pretty sure we're in the clear.  LOL

We had about a 15 minute rain overnight, just enough to take the smoke out of the air and to cool things down.  It was so strange to have cool weather that when we went out for a walk to the park this morning, everyone had to put on their bunny hugs and long pants before leaving the house.  

We've been enjoying the time with our family here; last night was play time on the back lawn - we had ring toss, golf, hula hoops, and soccer all going at the same time. . . it made for interesting scorekeeping!   I got a great photo of everyone playing soccer - from my 80 year old husband right down to our 1.5 year old grandson.  Priceless moments.  We ended the evening by turning on the sprinkler and letting the boys run through it until they were drenched.  

I've had a Korean bowl a couple of times and really enjoyed it - I tried the medium spicy one and knew right away DH would start crying if he had it.  He doesn't care at all for hot spicy dishes, so was glad he ordered something else.  For tonight though, DS has ordered pizza from his favourite pizzeria - a private family run store that makes the most amazing pizzas.  DDIL wants the dry ribs, and the little GS's don't care, so we'll likely order a few extra things and just fill our plates.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them - it's so nice to see the list getting smaller every day - and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses and bottles together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 19

3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

We've been enjoying the time with our family here; last night was play time on the back lawn - we had ring toss, golf, hula hoops, and soccer all going at the same time. . . it made for interesting scorekeeping!   I got a great photo of everyone playing soccer - from my 80 year old husband right down to our 1.5 year old grandson.  Priceless moments.  We ended the evening by turning on the sprinkler and letting the boys run through it until they were drenched.  

Gerry

This is not fair, Gerry. You can not tease us and mention a great photo, and then not share it with us. C’mon! 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, there have been a couple of people that when we saw them at the table, we told the MDR personnel to put us at another table.  Once, the guy taking us to the table was so far ahead, I just turned around and when DH saw the table he followed me.  Fortunately, those people have been few and far between, and we've met many wonderful people at dinner.

Almost all the people I have met on board and at dinner have been great.   It was just a few of them on that particular cruise and I met them all!  It was funny, but other people I met mentioned they had done their time with that couple as well and we all had a good laugh.   That was a really great cruise for me.

2 hours ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

@dfish  Debbie - Please don't beat yourself up. You had planned and dreamed for your vacation. To ask to be removed from such a toxic environment is not a cause for shame. You probably were extremely diplomatic during the exchange. I just hope your dining companions for the rest of your time aboard were more gracious and you had a great cruise!

I just felt bad for the poor guy who was trying to show me to a table.  I confessed what I had done to my new table and one of them knew exactly who I was talking about.  They made me feel ok about doing it.  

Like I said, I had never had to deal with complainers on previous cruises.  I've met some wonderful people at dinner and don't mind the small talk with new people each night.  It just all came together in that one cruise.  The good thing is I only had to put up with them for about an hour.  They have to be them and they sounded pretty miserable.   

Why can't everyone be like this wonderful family on the Daily?

• Like 19

Good Evening,  we landed at Logan around 6am this morning.  While we tried to sleep on the plane it just didn’t happen.  We got breakfast then I took a nap for a couple of hours.  When I woke up five of the cats were around me napping as well.    We then went out and bought a new freezer.  This upcoming weekend is sales tax free weekend.  They gave us the discount today.  It will be delivered next week.  Their stock seemed to be very limited unless you were willing to wait months.  Then we cleaned out the freezer, that was a hot mess.  
I suspect that tonight will be an early night.  
Hope that everyone has a good rest of their day today.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I would rather eat the alligator bites at Pappadeaux's. Knowing how many rattlesnake we killed on our 11 acre home in Montana made me feel green about eating it. Our cat and precious blue heeler Mackenzie were well watched over, but we had one incident that took a week for Mackenzie to heal. I shot that snake 3 times. 

image.png.4310705c6553803fb09d13b43166a3b0.png

I am sorry Joy. That would definitely bother me too.  Glad at the time Mackenzie healed. Love you sister!

must be nice right now around 6 there?

enjoy your evening. Going swimming now.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Better late than never

1353926165_20210808_160401_HDR2.thumb.jpg.63d7f03e64903a604e17ae1e8714b078.jpg

🌺🌺Bruno! I know all about you and from me I welcome you to our family!! I know I am 2 months late!! All I can say is adorable on your fur baby!

I am anxious to hear about your up coming cruise and have fingers crossed all goes well for you and dad with the antigen tests soon!

Denise😊

• Like 9

10 hours ago, msmayor said:

ood morning all - woke to beautiful sunshine which is a bit of a surprise.  Weather predictions made me think it would still be raining, but it must have moved through quickly.  Hope the sunshine holds - husband and I are headed to our first 'big crowd' event since the pandemic started...Phillies/Mets game in Philadelphia.  Husband is a life-long Mets fan so we're hoping that they can pull out a win from this weekend series.

I hope DH wasn't TOO disappointed.

Roy

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Our cat and precious blue heeler Mackenzie were well watched over, but we had one incident that took a week for Mackenzie to heal. 

We had a terrier who got bit by a rattlesnake and he recovered after a stay with the vet.  People said it's good it wasn't our kids who got bit, but my husband said next time he was throwing one of the kids between the dog and the snake because the kids have insurance! 😁 That vet bill was a pretty penny.

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

We had an Anniversary cruise way back when and were sat with the same people. I never heard so much complaining ! 😉

I guess one of the worst was the guy who berated the waiter because he poured the wine before grumpy guy asked him to.  Had a little snit fit.  The wife was embarrassed but obviously used to it.  Luckily, they never came back.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Have I mentioned how great a time we are having?

Went to four, five and Presidents reception at 11.00 AM. Basic Hotel Director greets you go in and sit down and get a free drink. 

Cellar Master Renaldo comes up to us and greets us Bruce & Sue how great to see you. Remember me Noordam I was your wine steward Rey Rey! Now a Cellar Master. We haven’t been on Noordam in over ten years!

That folks is why we love Hal.

Rey Rey now going by Renaldo did a fantastic, humorous, knowledgeable Wine Tasting today.

Gotta love it! It’s the crew that keeps bringing us back.

• Like 20

32 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

image.png.4310705c6553803fb09d13b43166a3b0.png

I am sorry Joy. That would definitely bother me too.  Glad at the time Mackenzie healed. Love you sister!

must be nice right now around 6 there?

enjoy your evening. Going swimming now.

I love to swim off Kaanapali beach. We get rafts and Tommy Bahama chairs at Costco.  It's calm and beautiful. We started at Kaanapali Alii in 1985, then bought Westin South when it hung it's shingle. Then Nanea. 

Are you and David still on for the Hawaiian and Tahiti cruise? We booked Rotterdam for 12-12 thru 1-2 holiday cruise.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, aliaschief said:

Have I mentioned how great a time we are having?

Went to four, five and Presidents reception at 11.00 AM. Basic Hotel Director greets you go in and sit down and get a free drink. 

Cellar Master Renaldo comes up to us and greets us Bruce & Sue how great to see you. Remember me Noordam I was your wine steward Rey Rey! Now a Cellar Master. We haven’t been on Noordam in over ten years!

That folks is why we love Hal.

Rey Rey now going by Renaldo did a fantastic, humorous, knowledgeable Wine Tasting today.

Gotta love it! It’s the crew that keeps bringing us back.

We LOVE Renaldo!  He was the Cellar Master on our NS cruise Sept.-Oct. 2019.  He's the best.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I love to swim off Kaanapali beach. We get rafts and Tommy Bahama chairs at Costco.  It's calm and beautiful. We started at Kaanapali Alii in 1985, then bought Westin South when it hung it's shingle. Then Nanea. 

Are you and David still on for the Hawaiian and Tahiti cruise? We booked Rotterdam for 12-12 thru 1-2 holiday cruise.  

Hi Joy! We are doing 18 day R/T from here in San Diego! 12/5-12/23. In February doing Oceania 2/19-3/8 17 day sunny seascape doing Caribbean and will

connect with Princess on 3/12 doing Panama Canal to Home. 
2023 looking at Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. Will see how things go. Looking at Oceania also. Going to Costco here is the best isn’t it!! 
❤️ You

• Like 7

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I haven't been to India, but I been to enough places that sound like it. Usually, there are always places to enjoy and marvel at.

My recent travels up the east coast were delightful,  but the return down the Appalachians was enjoyable,  too. For train  lovers, stops in Scranton, Pennsylvania at Steamtown, and many places in West Virginia along the New River Gorge's  C &O tracks were exceptional. I learned more about the coal industry and its rail transport.

Coal has a black history, no pun intended, but was such a huge part of the history and culture of the area.

So off topic for me and my cruise family, here are some pics:

Steamtown, Scranton 

New River Gorge, from Turkey Spur in the National Park. 

Pence Bridge. Thurmond Bridge crossing the New River, where there was a bustling city in the 1900's. A one lane highway hangs off the old RR bridge. Thurmond, WV, had as many 17 passenger trains passing thru in the early 1900's. Amtrak's Cardinal serves the restored station 3 days a week.

View from the stations control window. Thurmond Station. The National Park Service owns and maintains it as a museum and Amtrak flag station. The Ranger on duty was a local resident and added to our visit. 

20210725_143116.jpg

20210805_105636.jpg

20210805_133107.jpg

20210806_151356.jpg

20210806_153622.jpg

20210806_153854.jpg

20210806_155921.jpg

I don't think I've really seen that bridge but been over it several times on Amtrak's Cardinal.  That's a VERY scenic trip.

Roy

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. @richwmn How are your cats?  We haven’t had a picture recently. 

since you asked, it's National Cat Day, and I found them together - here you go.

They are fine.

20210808_200428.thumb.jpg.2194830ff9c9c6a286dd58ef6f1c576d.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Lenda, got it!  What is going on with our posts!! Mine will vanish and then I go back in and it is there! Sometimes my like button won’t work😡

Thank you!

Denise😊

I will come back this evening which will be late on my west coast sister Joy and east coast sister Ann!

It seems like a lot of us have been having trouble posting and using the like button for several days.  There are two things that seem to work for me when that happens.  The first, when on chrome on my tablet, is to clear the  browsing history, but that takes more effort.  The easy thing for me is to click on the post count and then go back to the post.  It's annoying to have to keep doing that.  I blame it on CC gremlins. 

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hi Joy! We are doing 18 day R/T from here in San Diego! 12/5-12/23. In February doing Oceania 2/19-3/8 17 day sunny seascape doing Caribbean and will

connect with Princess on 3/12 doing Panama Canal to Home. 
2023 looking at Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. Will see how things go. Looking at Oceania also. Going to Costco here is the best isn’t it!! 
❤️ You

Dec 5th on the Zuiderdam right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

We had about a 15 minute rain overnight, just enough to take the smoke out of the air and to cool things down.  It was so strange to have cool weather that when we went out for a walk to the park this morning, everyone had to put on their bunny hugs and long pants before leaving the house.  

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

What are bunny hugs? I've never heard of that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We generally do longer cruises and get fixed dining with one or two other couples.  Have met some interesting people that way.  We once took a 49 day cruise from Miami to San Francisco on Carnival.  For some reason they seated us with two German speaking couples.  Of course they preferred to speak in their own language and we could do Chinese or English.  Didn't think it would work out and thought of moving, but after a few days we got to know each other, worked out the language difference and became best of friends.  In fact one couple, from Salzburg, Austria has invited us to their house if we ever visit Salzburg.

I grew up on a farm and we had dogs and cats, but the cats lived in the barn and were never allowed in the house.  I like cats, but if I were to choose a pet, it would be a dog.

I checked my zucchini plants closely and can see where some stems were bitten off.  I put some screen over the majority of them today but a rabbit could still crawl under it.  Guess I can live with it either way.  I actually keep a bowl of water out for the rabbits in this dry weather, so it is my fault if they keep coming around.

Ray

• Like 15