Live from the Majestic Princess - August 8, 2021

azbirdmom

3 hours ago, wondertwinsmom said:

I’m interested to know the answer to this question as well. And also, what is the difference timewise between them? We selected relaxed, or whatever the middle choice was, but if that means an hour and a half or two hours then maybe we should change it to fast?

Honestly it seems no different than past cruises with the speed of your dining service. For example I put down fast but dinner still took the typical one and a half two hours. The waiters always tend to read your body language about when to transition to the next course. Keep in mind it also depends on how big of an area they're working as well.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

What time did you select when booking?  5:00, 5:20, 5:40, 7:00, 7:20, & 7:40 are all supposedly TD time slots.  But of course, AT can dine in those slots as well - usually in a different location.

I selected, I thought  7:40. However, next time I checked it was  at 7:00PM. That was fine so I didn't change it back.I was wondering why I was given the deck 5 midship dining room. The question I had was I was wondering if they are assigning the deck 6 aft to anyone.

20 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I selected, I thought  7:40. However, next time I checked it was  at 7:00PM. That was fine so I didn't change it back.I was wondering why I was given the deck 5 midship dining room. The question I had was I was wondering if they are assigning the deck 6 aft to anyone.

There is no more traditional and anytime dining set up everybody just mixed all together there's no designated dining room for example for traditional. All of my upcoming cruises are in my favorite dining room which is deck 6 midship which is funny because that's where they tend to assign me or not I just change and select it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before boarding my July 25th sailing I had booked the same time every night in the same mid ship dining room (Symphony). When I boarded I checked my ap and noticed I was changed to the aft deck 6 Allegro dining room. I received no notification of this change. I was not the only one whose dining room was changed. So I think you get what they give you and that can change up until your butt is in the chair.

I was walked by the hostess to a table who decided oops this is the wrong side of the ship. Walked me over to the other side. Was given a nice window seat.  When I left I did ask the head waiter to please keep me at the same table with same crew. He said he would. 

Next night they expected me to find my table by myself. When I said the only thing I remember is that it was by a window they walked me all over. They had no idea what table I was at the night before. My first server was not there. It was weird. They finally decided on a nice window seat and I paid better attention so that the next night and for rest of cruise I just went to my table. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Before boarding my July 25th sailing I had booked the same time every night in the same mid ship dining room (Symphony). When I boarded I checked my ap and noticed I was changed to the aft deck 6 Allegro dining room. I received no notification of this change. I was not the only one whose dining room was changed. So I think you get what they give you and that can change up until your butt is in the chair.

I was walked by the hostess to a table who decided oops this is the wrong side of the ship. Walked me over to the other side. Was given a nice window seat.  When I left I did ask the head waiter to please keep me at the same table with same crew. He said he would. 

Next night they expected me to find my table by myself. When I said the only thing I remember is that it was by a window they walked me all over. They had no idea what table I was at the night before. My first server was not there. It was weird. They finally decided on a nice window seat and I paid better attention so that the next night and for rest of cruise I just went to my table. 

Nice to see that it's all so well organized! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Also, let me reiterate that, for anyone with T-Mobile, when in Alaska, go to Settings>Cellular>Network Selection>turn off Automatic and select GCI. It is unlimited and lightning fast. I just uploaded those menus in seconds. On the ship’s WiFi, even in port, it’s been a struggle. 

We have T-Mobile so we appreciate you sharing this information.

Just got back from our day ashore at Ketchikan. As we did last time, we stopped at the visitor center and picked up a walking map. We walked up the Married Man Trail behind Creek Street and watched the salmon jump up the ladder next to a waterfall. Then went a little further to the spawning ground. Then past the fish hatchery and totem museum. 

We walked by houses then watched the sea lions playing in the marina. Back to Creek Street and in town where we helped the local economy by purchasing some treasures. I’m not kidding about helping. We were thanked by many local store owners some of whom said they didn’t know if they would make it through the shutdown. 

Our final stop was at Annabelles, a local restaurant and bar for a drink and some amazing halibut fish & chips. Good to see so many cruisers in there.

We had planned to make it back to the ship before 2 when rain was back in the forecast. Sure enough we in line to get back on the ship at 1:45 and the sprinkles started. 

By the way this was our first trip to Alaska with TMobile. It worked ok in Juneau, was horrid in Skagway, and it worked well here in Ketchikan. We had AT&T on previous trips and it worked like a champ. We were told in Skagway that AT&T had a monopoly in that area and it sure was true. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Happy birthday to DH (three weeks ago). This was my gift to him this year. Biggest smile I’ve seen on him in forever. We’ll be  dining on salmon tonight!!

A3E52B16-A37B-4B91-8F38-1CEF97C9EEA7.jpeg

Fantastic. Where are you celebrating?  😋

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 7:59 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Steve Hites came onboard right behind us, and he was doing his show at 5:30pm in the Vista-less Lounge, but we couldn’t see him this time as we had a conflicting appointment with the Crown Grill. But, as I remember from 2012, he was very entertaining. 

Happy to hear that Steve Hites is still doing his onboard show in Skagway. We make sure and catch  him every time we're on a Princess cruise to Alaska.

1 hour ago, Jasperdo said:

Happy to hear that Steve Hites is still doing his onboard show in Skagway. We make sure and catch  him every time we're on a Princess cruise to Alaska.

I am very sad I missed him. He has always been very entertaining. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

The Dining SPEEDS has me chuckling..... just imagining Fast, and them speeding

your food to you & taking it away before that third bite, and the next plate being slid in.....🤣

I know.  What does that question actually mean?  If you ask for slower, does that mean they will ignore you for an hour before they come to get the order?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's a photo from nine years ago when we were on a cruise tour. We were friendly with a grandmother and her two grandsons on the land portion with us. Their table at dinner ended up being next to ours. When the grandsons went salmon fishing in Ketchikan, they shared their catch with our table as well. It was delicious.

2012 Sapphire Princess (324).jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

The Dining SPEEDS has me chuckling..... just imagining Fast, and them speeding

your food to you & taking it away before that third bite, and the next plate being slid in.....🤣

Yes,  that choice of speed of dining is amusing.  I have no idea how they plan to implement this.  

18 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Here's a photo from nine years ago when we were on a cruise tour. We were friendly with a grandmother and her two grandsons on the land portion with us. Their table at dinner ended up being next to ours. When the grandsons went salmon fishing in Ketchikan, they shared their catch with our table as well. It was delicious.

2012 Sapphire Princess (324).jpg

That is just incredible 🤩

Definitely the highlight of the cruise. Dining room supervisor Jorge made it an event, and we had  more than enough to share with nearby tables. The silver (Coho) salmon was delicious.  Can’t  recommend the salmon fishing trip in Juneau highly enough. Princess does Catch to Cook so well. 

2BA1D65C-943B-4A93-840B-6B7073DD7AF1.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1