Live from the Majestic Princess - August 8, 2021

azbirdmom

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Another dining room question:

The app asks if you want slow, medium or fast service at dinner.

Did your dinner service end up being at the speed you had selected?

I’m interested to know the answer to this question as well. And also, what is the difference timewise between them? We selected relaxed, or whatever the middle choice was, but if that means an hour and a half or two hours then maybe we should change it to fast?

• Like 1

Good morning. We are almost to Ketchikan and there is no rain - yet. It calmed down significantly after dinner but it was still a little rough going through the night. Part of it was amplified by our position way up front but it wasn’t awful.

Last night was formal night which we stopped going to years ago. That also means that we stopped attending the captains circle parties too as those then to be on formal nights. Anyway our club class waitstaff encouraged us to come even though Hubby didn’t have a suit or jacket. We needn’t have been concerned about that as we fit right in. We both had the special surf and turf dinner and they also brought us a lobster tail to taste. It was all good. I don’t usually have dessert but I gave the Norman Love creation a try. All I can say is yum!  Picture won’t upload. 😟

Sadly our last port. The week has gone way too fast!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, caribill said:

We didn't get that service option in the app? 

How weird is that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

So there is a way to add a tip?  Where or what is the "invoice?" Is that on the MedallionClass Dine My Way when you order it?  Or what?

Whenever you get something from room service they have you sign for it. There is a line that says " gratuity "

But I haven't been on a ship since March 2020

11 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

The Majestic Princess passed to the dark side of the moon today for several hours. Internet access was non existent. I am not even going to try to blog tonight. I started the day in tears at 6am when my mom texted me that she thinks their community will be shutting down soon (part of it already is) due to the Delta variant and I shouldn’t fly to see her next week. 

I hate COVID. 

Anyway, G has a fishing excursion most of tomorrow, so I will have a chance to get caught up then. In the meantime, I will try to upload Patters and my favorite pic from today. Even rainy days offer some priceless views. 

Thank you sooo much taking the time to share your cruise with us. Take care, enjoy the last few days. Covid ahead is so unpredictable, for everyone, everywhere. You are one of the fortunate ones to get on a ship. Who knows what comes next?

Have an extra dessert, glass of wine and a cocktail for me - please!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SaltwaterDaffy said:

Whenever you get something from room service they have you sign for it. There is a line that says " gratuity "

Okay.  I wasn't talking about room service.  I wanted to know from someone on board if the deliveries, say a drink from a bar, from Dine My Way should be tipped.

11 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

The Majestic Princess passed to the dark side of the moon today for several hours. Internet access was non existent. I am not even going to try to blog tonight. I started the day in tears at 6am when my mom texted me that she thinks their community will be shutting down soon (part of it already is) due to the Delta variant and I shouldn’t fly to see her next week. 

I hate COVID. 

I am so sorry to hear about your mom's community going into lockdown mode. I work in a skilled nursing/rehab facility, and we went a year without visitors. We were finally able to have them again for a few months, starting with 15 minutes/outside/no touch, and for several precious weeks progressed to "come on in, just keep your mask on.  Then we got another outbreak, thanks to the hospital sending us not yet identified infected patients. Going back on quarantine status about broke my heart.  I hope it clears up soon and you get to visit her! 😷

• Like 2

2 hours ago, san diego sue said:

The aft deck 6 dining room was always for fixed dining. The posts so far have been for the mid ship dining rooms. Question, are they even using the aft dining room.

I requested same time dining each night and have been assigned deck 5 midship on all the cruises I have on my Medallion appl. right now.

Since there is no longer the traditional fixed dining. How is the deck 6 aft dining room being utilized on board right now.

What time did you select when booking?  5:00, 5:20, 5:40, 7:00, 7:20, & 7:40 are all supposedly TD time slots.  But of course, AT can dine in those slots as well - usually in a different location.

2 hours ago, wondertwinsmom said:

I’m interested to know the answer to this question as well. And also, what is the difference timewise between them? We selected relaxed, or whatever the middle choice was, but if that means an hour and a half or two hours then maybe we should change it to fast?

We were on the August 1 cruise and selected fast dining.  Our dinner was typically one hour long 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UT-Volsfan said:

We were on the August 1 cruise and selected fast dining.  Our dinner was typically one hour long 

That's not bad. I also selected fast, and I'm hoping for what you got. Hubby has a bad back and can't sit for too long.

1 hour ago, SaltwaterDaffy said:

With drink deliveries last week, we never had to sign for a delivery, even in our cabin.  And did not see a way to add a tip to our orders in the app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Informatics Nurse said:

I don't know if this is a week to ask because of all of the active rain- how are the mosquitos? In a few days, all of the active rain might make it a GREAT time to ask this question. 😉

We had quite a few on our hike near Mendenhall Glacier last week. I haven’t noticed any in town in Juneau or Skagway. 

re:  dinner pacing.  They don’t appear to be using the app at all. The two times we’ve needed speedy service, we told the waiter and were accommodated. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I have a table for two in the Symphony Dining Room booked for 8:00 every night of my cruise (embarking August 22). Since I'm sailing solo, I won't be slowed down by other people. If I need to eat quickly to make it to the show, I'll let my waiters know. But I chose 8:00 because it seemed like it would give me the option of going to the show before dinner or after.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, UT-Volsfan said:

Okay thanks!  I may change ours to fast then, just in case they start paying attention to it by Sept 5 because that sounds about our speed.  Plus since this is our first cruise ever, I suspect we might be itching to always get back out and about on the ship and see what’s going on that we may want to participate in! We’re  a little bit like kids in a candy store anticipating this trip! lol

• Like 6

Also, let me reiterate that, for anyone with T-Mobile, when in Alaska, go to Settings>Cellular>Network Selection>turn off Automatic and select GCI. It is unlimited and lightning fast. I just uploaded those menus in seconds. On the ship’s WiFi, even in port, it’s been a struggle. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Also, let me reiterate that, for anyone with T-Mobile, when in Alaska, go to Settings>Cellular>Network Selection>turn off Automatic and select GCI. It is unlimited and lightning fast. I just uploaded those menus in seconds. On the ship’s WiFi, even in port, it’s been a struggle. 

Thank you for posting! 

Did anyone book a guarantee? I was wondering if so, when the cabin assignment came. I'm still waiting for mine for the August 22 cruise. The latest we ever had cabin assignments for guarantees were both Alaskan cruises where we found out on Wednesday for cruises that started on Saturday.

13 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I hate COVID. 

Anyway, G has a fishing excursion most of tomorrow, so I will have a chance to get caught up then. In the meantime, I will try to upload Patters and my favorite pic from today. Even rainy days offer some priceless views. 

Sending a virtual hug at the soul crushing disappointment of not getting to be physically with your Mom!

So very very sorry, I know you have been counting the days till you could!  I hate Covid too!!!

Praying for a miracle that things will suddenly be okay and you will be able to go! 

Hug her tight when you do get to, for yourself, and for all of us that miss hugging our own Mom's that have already been promoted to heaven.  

Thanks to all on this thread for taking us along on this wonderful cruise adventure!

😻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Not really. It was pretty much the same Pace I've always had on any cruise. For example I did put down fast and it still took roughly an hour and a half two hours for dinner. Because usually the wait staff just tends to feel your body language of when it's an appropriate time to like exchange the meals out and then sometimes some of the areas can be very busy with a lot of tables and people for a wait staff

• Like 1