Live from the Majestic Princess - August 8, 2021

azbirdmom

31 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

It’s getting slower to upload pics.  I will still attempt to have menus and the Patter in my blog, but won’t upload in both places. 

Just came from the naturalist’s second lecture on close encounters with Alaskan wildlife. I enjoy those so much. We had  breakfast in the buffet this morning so we would be able  to see any passing whales, and they did pass, on the opposite side of the ship. 😆 it’s great to have a naturalist on the bridge to Point then out.  Drinking a cappuccino in the IC and awaiting lunch in the dining room, which is starting early today, at 11am, before our arrival in Juneau. 

We have plans to take the tram today, visibility permitting, and do some hiking on top of Mt. Roberts. 

Still trying to track down a definitive answer on the Elite excursion rebate, refundable or not. Sorry, it seems to be a difficult concept, but, from what I can tell on our own statement, it is refundable. We had used all of our OBC on excursions and still show a refundable balance with no non-refundable. 

I was told I’m probably doing something wrong when I order drinks and give my room number to the waiter, and that’s why charges keep showing up on my account. Bad, bad me!!

@PescadoAmarillo There is a trail up the backside of Mt Roberts that can be accessed fairly close to the cruise docks. You could either come down that way or go up and pay for 1/2 fare tram ride down. If you make a purchase in the gift shop your fare back down is free. This being said, you must promise not to come after me for any massive mud damage to your shoes or soaked pants if you're only wearing a parka and it is pouring. Also, any marital dissonance that ensues is not on me! There might be a story here. You could see it on my current roll call. We bought this from the gift shop in lieu of the return tram fare: _i1VByd6M5xNmTIWAy9ktr0iiL5SLJqHBVTi0Mzaz--MW6ouYux-4gamVBFj9NYtbhTLnqbJtx7Xjic4v_g_q1XXqI1roBkdWzBxzae2MBy5RovQLmhWTtD0LSvx08R7UxN2DDYXwLyB0l_UtWd9UgiwTIBPe9JDDt7IzUrnAytZ6mQWGNejwrjLZ695mCMmtZooO-T0N92qhf6Fb8G_qIoRCM3Hy-kZDKZ1q1S4tDOHY_1zW95rD83CGtA9bklnyquAuzBuYemS3oLTKzTzuVyci6j4e8PTgS3sNjEb7qxTzgLM2qSP2_FXXLl-KJEbVD9nMiw8R0T9EpGUc4dScK_7R84RVMqtBtllphMfQZtu3jWZXF7sbmZ91BlGg9sqN4rFNcl6MjSB_R0B_gechv3HQssGp82R7uKzLY1Q19NcgckduTbJKa7f6D_EPTkUwujo5cxPw059l1vj1gMzGwDA8SoCpAwpXh5TCV-vENnLeCol33Klsn9T9BW2hUpMlYUWsWIpA64h3Tu4zNBeF_nK5qfK4FiDp7tqBf1vmy7U9_F3UKaPLlY9W4FhwAE6iG1YJrAvEunC0FxejCS3KzuNCUaizpo7G0xq4RdWVjY1sDjzZk_cahkDLfHpV53CaetTKVWbyqGegCF4dAzUsds--yOKcUo6TgT-7Xt0zKpxvKhTsacqW8HtAxJsG2v4zNfLZdg-CDuCn4N2tTNi4ZU=w384-h852-no?authuser=0

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I am going to bring up another Dining Room question.  

On our very first Princess cruise in 2011 we were thrilled to see that we could select a dining option called Anytime Dining.  While we had enjoyed all our previous cruises where assigned time/assigned table was the norm, we were very excited about the opportunity to "make it up as we went along."  Since our first experience, Anytime Dining has been our choice in all our subsequent cruises.  Presumably, cruisers who prefer that choice can still get it by not making any pre-cruise reservations using the Dine My Way software.  Is there anybody on this cruise who can report their experiences when walking into the dining rooms without a reservation?  Also, I am not asking about Club Class.  I have seen multiple reports that the Club Class experience has been, pretty much, what was expected.

So when I was on board last week when you go to the dining room there's actually two lines at the door they used the left side with people lined up who had reservations and then on the right side of the door was a separate line for those who do not have reservations but they were seating them. For the most part a majority of the guest had reservations because keep mine you can make them on the app right before you go just to confirm you have a spot. There were only a few like four or five less in line who didn't have reservations is what I observed daily.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, farsight said:

@PescadoAmarillo There is a trail up the backside of Mt Roberts that can be accessed fairly close to the cruise docks. You could either come down that way or go up and pay for 1/2 fare tram ride down. If you make a purchase in the gift shop your fare back down is free. This being said, you must promise not to come after me for any massive mud damage to your shoes or soaked pants if you're only wearing a parka and it is pouring. Also, any marital dissonance that ensues is not on me! There might be a story here. You could see it on my current roll call. We bought this from the gift shop in lieu of the return tram fare: _i1VByd6M5xNmTIWAy9ktr0iiL5SLJqHBVTi0Mzaz--MW6ouYux-4gamVBFj9NYtbhTLnqbJtx7Xjic4v_g_q1XXqI1roBkdWzBxzae2MBy5RovQLmhWTtD0LSvx08R7UxN2DDYXwLyB0l_UtWd9UgiwTIBPe9JDDt7IzUrnAytZ6mQWGNejwrjLZ695mCMmtZooO-T0N92qhf6Fb8G_qIoRCM3Hy-kZDKZ1q1S4tDOHY_1zW95rD83CGtA9bklnyquAuzBuYemS3oLTKzTzuVyci6j4e8PTgS3sNjEb7qxTzgLM2qSP2_FXXLl-KJEbVD9nMiw8R0T9EpGUc4dScK_7R84RVMqtBtllphMfQZtu3jWZXF7sbmZ91BlGg9sqN4rFNcl6MjSB_R0B_gechv3HQssGp82R7uKzLY1Q19NcgckduTbJKa7f6D_EPTkUwujo5cxPw059l1vj1gMzGwDA8SoCpAwpXh5TCV-vENnLeCol33Klsn9T9BW2hUpMlYUWsWIpA64h3Tu4zNBeF_nK5qfK4FiDp7tqBf1vmy7U9_F3UKaPLlY9W4FhwAE6iG1YJrAvEunC0FxejCS3KzuNCUaizpo7G0xq4RdWVjY1sDjzZk_cahkDLfHpV53CaetTKVWbyqGegCF4dAzUsds--yOKcUo6TgT-7Xt0zKpxvKhTsacqW8HtAxJsG2v4zNfLZdg-CDuCn4N2tTNi4ZU=w384-h852-no?authuser=0

Your post was so funny. Marital discord? How well you know us!! We can’t see a thing here in Juneau, so I suspect the tram will be a bust. They say the tickets are refundable in case of this kind of weather, but DH says we’d never see that refund and we’ll just take the tram to hike at the top. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, farsight said:

@PescadoAmarillo There is a trail up the backside of Mt Roberts that can be accessed fairly close to the cruise docks. You could either come down that way or go up and pay for 1/2 fare tram ride down. If you make a purchase in the gift shop your fare back down is free. This being said, you must promise not to come after me for any massive mud damage to your shoes or soaked pants if you're only wearing a parka and it is pouring. Also, any marital dissonance that ensues is not on me! There might be a story here. You could see it on my current roll call. We bought this from the gift shop in lieu of the return tram fare: 

For Elites, the net Tram charge is $22.50. The 1/2 charge from Juneau Tramway is $22.50. Why not just buy the ticket from Princess? Also:

Screenshot_20210810-125916_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have attempted to post a few times but they have disappeared even after I gave up attempting to upload pictures. We are docking in Juneau right now. We were able to spend time on ginormous balcony as we sailed in but now it’s raining fairly hard and balcony is a lake.  We had thought about taking the team but that isn’t worth it unless the visibility is good. So we will just wait until the crowds clear and will wander the town. Hope we can get a TMobile signal as MedallionNet is much worse than it was on the Royal when we used it in Alaska two years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, farsight said:

Screenshot_20210810-130228_AllTrails.thumb.jpg.8d31d634fc8a82031326455f1c3c69f4.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, SaltwaterDaffy said:

Screenshot_20210810-130228_AllTrails.thumb.jpg.8d31d634fc8a82031326455f1c3c69f4.jpg

The line on the bottom is the Tram. The trail seems to be about 1.2 miles to the tram so maybe about 2.5 miles walk to the ship. It looks a little steep.  I may try going up the tram one way and hiking down depending on the weather. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Your post was so funny. Marital discord? How well you know us!! We can’t see a thing here in Juneau, so I suspect the tram will be a bust. They say the tickets are refundable in case of this kind of weather, but DH says we’d never see that refund and we’ll just take the tram to hike at the top. 

When you have the chance to read a slightly longer version (not much), here you go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/8/2021 at 8:07 AM, farsight said:

Have a fantastic and safe cruise!

If anyone has The Enclave at Lotus Spa 7-Day Pass, I would be interested how many people they allow in the Thermal Suite/Enclave during one reservation period, mask wearing policy while using it and whether the two hours per day can be broken into smaller segments for a given day. Thanks in advance.

I’m interested in this too.  I have the weekly pass on my September cruise.  I’d sure like to know details.  Thanks in advance. 

7 minutes ago, SaltwaterDaffy said:

There is an alternate trail around the backside from town that a local was nice enough to give us a ride unsolicited. As a start to the hike, I thought this was a really good sign. DW has a more descriptive view of this than I can ever hope to aspire. The better part of valor is to stop here.

1 minute ago, Irisagogo said:

My guess is that instead of (v), it read as $4.00.  Please call and ask… and let us know. 

My guess is that every time they typed in that little icon that looks like a bowl of salad it threw out the $4.00 charge on the app. I would be shocked if this was actually "a thing" when ordering through the Medallion or in any dining venue.

Could the folks onboard please address - multiple mentions of Medallion net not working worth a darn... does that mean as you've gone further north you haven't been able to use it to order drinks and food on the ship? 

@PescadoAmarilloearlier cruisers reported that when ordering drinks through the medallion you must each order using your own medallion. If you order two at once from yours, it will charge you for the second. To me this seems a major glitch, but I guess it's to stop Plus sharing? Could that be why you keep getting charged when ordering for the two of you? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Irisagogo said:

I’m interested in this too.  I have the weekly pass on my September cruise.  I’d sure like to know details.  Thanks in advance. 

@Irisagogo, @azbirdmom was a real gem to post this in post #62 of this thread even though she wasn't reserving the Enclave. So, you have her to thank for this:

Edited by farsight

2 people in the same cabin, both with PLUS - each order a glass of wine on their own app for room service - does that result in 2 different deliveries 

as a totally non-IT type - is that such a hard thing to fix to link the 2 accounts so that each individual account gets 'charged' for their drink and they come at the same time by one room service server ?

• Like 4

23 hours ago, farsight said:

@azbirdmomThank you for graciously checking on this even though you're not doing it. Class acts are alive and well 🙂. We booked this as a couple on the Personalizer for the Sept. 26, 2021 sailing for the couple price of $219. Originally we reserved it for $299, but the price went down; I created another reservation then canceled the original. Hopefully the credit will show on my credit card soon 😮. Sorry it took me a while to get back on this thank you but we had a dog show that lasted forever yesterday and appointments this AM. This "Live From" is taking off like a shot from a canon and may prove to be the best one yet. We are a little bummed by the requirement of masks in the Enclave (soggy masks just aren't appealing and probably provide questionable protection). We will still go though!!! Also, requirements have time to change between now and our cruise. Nice to know the current status though.

Thank you so much fir checking. 

On 8/8/2021 at 2:52 PM, azbirdmom said:

We aren’t doing the enclave but I did ask. 

The cost for a week is $179 PP. 

10 are allowed at a time and masks are required. 

You can go multiple times a day. 

A bird mom -thank you for checking. 

• Like 1

Just pulled  into Juneau.  Raining here.  So this is what I have observed so far.  Internet  is $15 a day.  That is the  new price for pre booked or on board.  This is before  Platinum benefits.  Medallion  accessories are More expensive  on shop.  Necklace  is $44 on board,  $30 when you order your medallion.   Bracelet  $54 on board compared  to $45. 

Cruise Director  Dan say there  will be a veterans  get together  on board.   It is the last sea day.  

Dine my way means no tradition seating.  You may have same dining room and dining time but different  table every night.  Had to fight to stay with favorite  waiter for this trip.  Will post more.  I do not  have internet package, so only can post in port.  Stay in mini suite.  Balcony  small and no cover.  

Cabin stewards  change  out your mini bar.  

If you pre order  alchohol to room  you need to call room service  to get delivered.   No cards in room.  

Wulfwyn 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a question regarding 2 excursions as my weather next week is eerily similar to what you have:

1. JUNEAU TRAMWAY - what are the excursion desk hours today in case I turn my ticket in

2. SKAGWAY ZIPLINING - do they go even in the rain? Wondering if it isn't canceled,  if I should cancel 

Edited by Ombud
Typo

1 hour ago, SaltwaterDaffy said:

The line on the bottom is the Tram. The trail seems to be about 1.2 miles to the tram so maybe about 2.5 miles walk to the ship. It looks a little steep.  I may try going up the tram one way and hiking down depending on the weather. 

The trail is said to be steep and slippery, especially in rainy weather. We've never gotten around to it, but if we ever do it's going to be hike up and tram down. The slippery part is what I don't like for hiking down. Not so bad going up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

The trail is said to be steep and slippery, especially in rainy weather. We've never gotten around to it, but if we ever do it's going to be hike up and tram down. The slippery part is what I don't like for hiking down. Not so bad going up.

I think I'll bring my trekking poles.

• Like 2

My husband and I had drifted away from Princess over the past several years, but I'd been thinking that maybe we'd try them again, especially for a Mexican Riviera or Hawaii cruise which would entail no airplanes for us. After hearing about the DMW debacle I don't think we'll ever cruise with them again. This whole Medallion thing sounds like a royal PITA.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Another great easy hike is to Yakutania Point in Skagway. 

Easy, close and nice views.

Screenshot_20210717-062803_AllTrails.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/8/2021 at 4:26 PM, Ronnieslady said:

Did you see anyone bring on their own canned drinks.  What’s happening about that??  Can you still give it to the porter to bring up with your luggage ??

Ronnieslady, can you tell us where on the Princess website can I find the policy for bringing canned drinks on board?  Thanks.

47 minutes ago, Wulfwyn said:

Internet  is $15 a day.  That is the  new price for pre booked or on board.  This is before  Platinum benefits. 

Okay if you saw this on-board in a posted sign or were informed at Internet Cafe.  But just want to avoid any confusion as this is NOT the pre-cruise price.  That one is $10/day for single device.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TinaLee said:

Could the folks onboard please address - multiple mentions of Medallion net not working worth a darn... does that mean as you've gone further north you haven't been able to use it to order drinks and food on the ship? 

I’m not onboard but have experienced several MedallionClass cruises…the paid MedallionNet internet that’s been unreliable is not the same as the free shipboard intranet MedallionClass system for access to all of the MC app options.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1