What’s going on with reviews of Miami hotels?

Water babies

My husband and I are cruising out of Miami in March 2022. We’re flying in the night before from PA (early evening) so I’ve begun researching hotels near MIA and the cruise terminal. Not only am I shocked by the high prices, almost all the hotels have more negative reviews than positive ones on multiple websites. Has anyone had a RECENT (post-Covid) positive experience at a hotel convenient to both MIA and POM (doesn’t have to have shuttles; we’ll pay for a taxi) they could recommend? I know the service and travel industries are suffering, but we’ve travelled in PA, NJ and NY without any problems this summer—although there have been some news stories about restaurant staff being mistreated by irate customers, we have not experienced poor service anywhere. Is it that bad in Florida, or just Miami? I know I’m not looking forward to getting on a plane again there’s been so much bad behavior reported. Now I’m not looking forward to a pre-cruise overnight stay either. Hopefully it’s all good once we’re aboard!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Water babies said:

... at a hotel convenient to both MIA and POM ...

HMMMM?   You are either near MIA or near the port - can't be both, but the cab ride from MIA to POM is only about 20 minutes.

There are the usual cluster of hotels near the airport, the most often suggested being the ones located in the Blue Lagoon neighborhood, with a local strip mall near by for dining and last minute cruise shopping (the Publix grocery store has a good wine selection!).  Flying in late and just want dinner and a room, this is a good area to stay.

Downtown offers more hotels, plus lots of local dining and shopping options.  Doubletree, Intercontinental, various Marriott options and hotels in the Mary Brickell area (Hyatt and Hampton Inn and others) are often suggested.  About a $20+ Uber ride from MIA and another $10+ Uber will get you to POM.

Demand for hotels is high as a big part of the population feels like it can finally travel again - have not been to Miami recently so I cannot speak to the poor reviews but it may be related to staffing issues many businesses are experiencing.

Have a great cruise! 😎 

In addition to John's thorough discussion on the relationship of location to price don't forget that March is the height of the 'high season.' It is the most expensive time of the year (other than large special events like the Super Bowl, Art Basel, etc.) for hotel rooms.  There is a lot of pent up demand for a return to normal and it is certain that hotels will charge whatever the traffic will bear.

Since the re-opening I have noticed a decline in quality across the hotel and restaurant industry. Hotels are restricting services such as the number of times your room gets cleaned, breakfast options, on site amenities etc.... Restaurants (that haven't gone under) have also been very hit or miss.... 

I know ppl who own or manage in both industries and covid forced them to restrict some services. However the bigger issue is staffing. I don't know of a single business that isn't hiring right now but no one is applying to work. 

OP I just booked the EB Hotel near MIA. Reviews look good and the bathrooms are to die for. Based on the pics I have seen I think I will enjoy my overnight there before my cruise.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Water babies said:

Thanks for the input; will wait awhile longer to book to see if reviews improve  across the board. No price advantage in booking early either. Here’s hoping St. Patrick’s Day is not a popular time in Miami😜

Hate to be a bearer of bad news but any time in March is a very popular time in Miami.  Beginning of spring break.  Still winter in many parts of the country.  Very busy in South Florida.

21 hours ago, 2fromaurora said:

I sympathize! I have Hilton points so was planning to stay at the Doubletree Biscayne Bay but nearly all the recent reviews were only 1 star!! Not appealing

I love that hotel, agree with some others some of my recent hotel stays have been pretty bad , all Hilton, worst one was embassy suites in ft Lauderdale, staying in doubletree Miami in February. Hilton no longer has the motto we will make it right, apparently.

I would advise you to book a hotel now with a reservation that can be cancelled. We booked in FLL at ES.  Price is double what we are paying in October and it has gone up since we booked several months ago. We've rebooked our October room several times because of price drops. 

• Like 1

I recommend the Intercontinental. I have always received good service there🙂it is closer to the Port than the airport. Not sure what the prices will be but I have stayed there before multiple times. Really nice hotel. I think a taxi is about 25.00 from the airport to the hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 12:32 PM, Ilovesailaway said:

OP I just booked the EB Hotel near MIA. Reviews look good and the bathrooms are to die for. Based on the pics I have seen I think I will enjoy my overnight there before my cruise.

We just love love love the EB. Have stayed there 12 times. A bit pricey for the area, but we love that place.

• 2 weeks later...

Take note that the Ultra music  -( I call it a huge drug party) festival is at the end of March (25-27) in Bayfront Park so there will be an extra 20,000 or more 'people' (most of them usually identify as homo sapiens) coming and going the week before and the week after, in addition to spring break and Miami being in peak tourist season in March anyway.  We used to get a half day off work in our building on Biscayne Blvd the Friday before Ultra because the vibrations from the rehearsals shook the whole building and no one could concentrate. Yes, it's THAT loud!

Just remember most people that review are ticked about something.  You will definitely see more bad reviews than good ones.  The Hampton Inn and Suites in the Blue Lagoon area gets some very good ratings.  I am also trying to decide where to stay since I'm driving down from central Florida the day before.  I keep changing my mind.  Right now I have a reservation at Doubletree Biscayne Bay.  

1 hour ago, Jacble1214 said:

Right now I have a reservation at Doubletree Biscayne Bay.  

I love that hotel, but parking there is steep! $30+ per day, valet only ( if I recall accurately) the last time I was there.

21 minutes ago, Cruisebird said:

I apologize if this sounds silly...but what is the EB hotel?  Thanks!

It’s the name of a hotel near the Miami Airport.  I have no idea what the initials might stand for.

Edited by capriccio