Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

I don’t know if this will help anyone but here goes. We’re  booked on Sky Princess B2B leaving Feb. 26th.  I’ve spent hours and hours on the Medallion app trying to make our reservations for the 14 days.  I get to the main screen for DMW and am able to select my time (5:20), my dining room (Estrella), that we want to sit with other guests. I save the info and it looks great. However, when I go back to check it really has not saved anything. 

I’ve phoned Princess multiple times and they tell me it’s fixed and delete and reload the app. BTW, I’m on an iPhone. Still no joy.

Today I spent over an hour on chat and the chat person couldn’t get it to work either. So she called first line support and they couldn’t get the reservations made either. So the chat woman upgraded to the next support  level and assured me the support team would get it fixed and email me today. So far no email.

I don’t give up easily so decided to try one more time. This time I selected same dining time, same dining room, but that we only wanted a table for two. Saved the info and…..JOY.  

We now have our reservations for the 14 days. I’m assuming that once we get there and find there may or may not be half empty tables with other guests, then we can make changes. At least we now have reservations and hopefully won’t have to wait in lines for a table.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 9:28 PM, ozziebound said:

Thanks! I’m happy to dine in club class dining but we do like meeting new people at big tables… do those exist in cc or is it all tables for two?

That wouldn't really work in Club Class because there are no reservation times set up.  They seat you when you show up.  All you could possibly do is meet some people and set up a meeting time between you and show up together.  Or ask to be seated with others if they are at a table with a couple empty seats and that would be pretty awkward!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 1:04 AM, Steelers36 said:

It amazes me to this day that it seems the OCEAN team has to fix INDIVIDUAL bookings and the bugs and fixes do not work universally to solve multiple guest issues.

For some weird reason we have not been able to get into our online Account (it shows as logged in but simply hangs up and does not load any pages).  I sent a message to our very capable cruise agent and ask her to look into the matter since they talk to Princess multiple times an hour.  The response from Princess was not very helpful with their suggestion being that I call Princess (and sit on hold for who knows how long) and they would work with me on the phone to fix the issue (which is at their end).

I guess one solution with constant Princess software issues is to simply cancel our future bookings and sail on lines that seem to have their act together.  I assume a call (with long hold times) will fix the current problem until there is the next problem :).  

Another Princess issue (about which we have previously posted) is that those with Comcast e-mail accounts cannot access their e-mails using MS Outlook software (and some other e-mail programs) because of a Firewall issue (which blocks needed ports) on all Princess ships.  On our most recent Princess cruise (December) the Internet expert told us they have been aware of the problem for several years but have failed to resolve the issue.  This seems to reflect an attitude issue which is why fix anything today that we can put off until tomorrow (sometimes called "deferred maintenance").

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Another Princess issue (about which we have previously posted) is that those with Comcast e-mail accounts cannot access their e-mails using MS Outlook software (and some other e-mail programs) because of a Firewall issue (which blocks needed ports) on all Princess ships.  On our most recent Princess cruise (December) the Internet expert told us they have been aware of the problem for several years but have failed to resolve the issue.  This seems to reflect an attitude issue which is why fix anything today that we can put off until tomorrow (sometimes called "deferred maintenance").

UGH!!  That is just sheer malfeasance.  I don't have a Comcast account and have not heard of this issue before.  I do use MS Outlook and never had an issue on board that I recall.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, boom op said:

I made MDW reservations for same time every day, but how can I tell if it took?  I do see our reservation for the Crown.

Go back into DMW and select the individual day booking and review option.  You should see your reservations on the next page and can move through them day-by-day.

On 2/16/2022 at 1:03 AM, Steelers36 said:

Go back into DMW and select the individual day booking and review option.  You should see your reservations on the next page and can move through them day-by-day.

I guessing that they'll be many people who make reservations using the app for the whole cruise & never remember to cancel them if they decide to go elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I guessing that they'll be many people who make reservations using the app for the whole cruise & never remember to cancel them if they decide to go elsewhere. 

Thought that also.....Thinking when I'm onboard, I'm just going to tell the waiter (or person at the kiosk) that we will not be here tomorrow.......Our plan is to shut off the phone after boarding and toss it in the safe and enjoy a break from tech. 

51 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Thought that also.....Thinking when I'm onboard, I'm just going to tell the waiter (or person at the kiosk) that we will not be here tomorrow.......Our plan is to shut off the phone after boarding and toss it in the safe and enjoy a break from tech. 

It only takes 30 seconds to cancel your reservation on the cabin tv ! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

It only takes 30 seconds to cancel your reservation on the cabin tv ! 

Good to know....I'll give that a try but if it is anything like my medallion app experience, I'm out!  LOL....I'm planning on things improving once I'm onboard.  My first impression with attempting to request what time I want to go to dinner has not been good.  I'm certain the problem is me and I'm fine with that!

9 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Good to know....I'll give that a try but if it is anything like my medallion app experience, I'm out!  LOL....I'm planning on things improving once I'm onboard.  My first impression with attempting to request what time I want to go to dinner has not been good.  I'm certain the problem is me and I'm fine with that!

I have to say the TV interface is excellent. Ordering drinks, food etc, looking at menus, making reservations - all easy.

• Like 2

I am noticing DMW if off-line in the MC App overnight to tonight.  The pop-up message states they are making updates to available reservations.  Don't believe I have seen that before.  Perhaps they are finally adding more DR's to voyages that are only offering one so far.  Check it out Tuesday morning.

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am noticing DMW if off-line in the MC App overnight to tonight.  The pop-up message states they are making updates to available reservations.  Don't believe I have seen that before.  Perhaps they are finally adding more DR's to voyages that are only offering one so far.  Check it out Tuesday morning.

This morning, DMW opens up, but when attempt to make either regular dining res or SD res, it immediately pops up with the message of nothing found.  So, I suspect lingering issues from whatever they were doing last night.

I don't have a lot of Princess experience and my upcoming cruise will be my first Medallion cruise. I have managed to book all our daily MDR reservations with no problem in the app but would like to reserve our complimentary SD at Crown Grill, our preferred restaurant, and at our preferred time (flexible on day). However, when I try to reserve, the option to pay with the voucher is not there. Credit card only.

Just thinking outside the box here, but could one reserve (and pay) for their specialty dining on the app, then once aboard, take the voucher to the restaurant and have them refund the payment to the credit card and apply the voucher, retaining the reservation date and time?

I feel like I'm overstepping here, but just wondered if this is something that is routinely done.

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

This morning, DMW opens up, but when attempt to make either regular dining res or SD res, it immediately pops up with the message of nothing found.  So, I suspect lingering issues from whatever they were doing last night.

Working tonight, but no more DR space added than before.

3 hours ago, Blue_Flame said:

I don't have a lot of Princess experience and my upcoming cruise will be my first Medallion cruise. I have managed to book all our daily MDR reservations with no problem in the app but would like to reserve our complimentary SD at Crown Grill, our preferred restaurant, and at our preferred time (flexible on day). However, when I try to reserve, the option to pay with the voucher is not there. Credit card only.

Just thinking outside the box here, but could one reserve (and pay) for their specialty dining on the app, then once aboard, take the voucher to the restaurant and have them refund the payment to the credit card and apply the voucher, retaining the reservation date and time?

I feel like I'm overstepping here, but just wondered if this is something that is routinely done.

A lot of people have same problem you do.  I experienced it as well until very recently, but after I refared to a new Fare Code, which changed our extras somewhat, the feature seems to be working again (applying credits).  Others have had issues where the System doesn't accept the credit card for paying SD reservation. 

Yes, you could get the rebate on board.  I would go to PSD (Passenger Services Desk) after the dinner, but if the CG says they can do it for you, well that seems easier.

ETA:  I still have it on one booking.  And, for all I know another booking may have it as I have a double SD credit on a voyage.  I am not actually completing a booking now as I intend to wait until on board.

Edited by Steelers36

14 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

A lot of people have same problem you do.  I experienced it as well until very recently, but after I refared to a new Fare Code, which changed our extras somewhat, the feature seems to be working again (applying credits).  Others have had issues where the System doesn't accept the credit card for paying SD reservation. 

Yes, you could get the rebate on board.  I would go to PSD (Passenger Services Desk) after the dinner, but if the CG says they can do it for you, well that seems easier.

ETA:  I still have it on one booking.  And, for all I know another booking may have it as I have a double SD credit on a voyage.  I am not actually completing a booking now as I intend to wait until on board.

Thank you for your insight. 

(I also deleted the app and reinstalled it and that still didn't add the SD credits.) 

We are new to Princess Cruises and to Cruise Critic, but we have sailed in the past with NCL, Celebrity and Azamara.  We prefer to dine as a couple at whatever time suits what we plan to do that day/evening - so Freestyle/anytime dining meets our preferences.  But reading this board suggests we would really need to consider booking all of our dining before sailing or risk waiting some time for a free table for two.  Is this the case?  If we opted for Club Class would this better enable us to turn up without a reservation and be allocated a table for two without a lengthy wait?   Thank you to anyone able to help.

35 minutes ago, Cheltonian said:

We are new to Princess Cruises and to Cruise Critic, but we have sailed in the past with NCL, Celebrity and Azamara.  We prefer to dine as a couple at whatever time suits what we plan to do that day/evening - so Freestyle/anytime dining meets our preferences.  But reading this board suggests we would really need to consider booking all of our dining before sailing or risk waiting some time for a free table for two.  Is this the case?  If we opted for Club Class would this better enable us to turn up without a reservation and be allocated a table for two without a lengthy wait?   Thank you to anyone able to help.

Club Class does not require reservations and you can turn up when you like - you would eat in the same dining room and same section every night though (although potentially different table within that section). 

33 minutes ago, Cheltonian said:

But reading this board suggests we would really need to consider booking all of our dining before sailing or risk waiting some time for a free table for two.  Is this the case?  If we opted for Club Class would this better enable us to turn up without a reservation and be allocated a table for two without a lengthy wait?   Thank you to anyone able to help.

If the pre-Covid past is indicative of the post-Covid future, on a fully booked cruise you may have to wait if you are choosing to eat between 6:30 and 7:30 when the early bird diners are eating. 

We were in Club Class in early January on the Caribbean Princess and liked to eat around 7 pm at a table for 2 not in extremely close proximity to another table for 2.  They have that set up with a number of 2 tops so they can easily convert them to a 4 top but we were uncomfortable not being further distanced during the height of the Omicron wave.  A couple of evenings those tables were the only ones available around 7 - 7:15.  We told the greeter - who was very apologetic - that it wasn't a problem and we would return in half an hour.  We then proceeded to Vines - which was empty - and had a lovely pre-dinner glass of wine.

4 hours ago, Cheltonian said:

I can only say that on our last cruise, there was never a problem getting a table for two without a reservation. Obviously the reduced passenger count helped. 

But, even when full, as long as you are not desperate to see a show, play trivia (get a life !),etc, the worse that will happen is that you may have to sit in a bar for 20 minutes with a glass of wine until a table becomes available. 

Does anyone using DMW this evening (Sunday) notice your daily reservations are not showing?  Ours are not showing on either Regal or Island in October.  I believe/think they still exist as I can look at options and make a res - and the availability looks as it did yesterday.  If I go through the steps to make a res, it appears to take, but when the screen returns to show you the daily booking, nothing shows up. 

• Like 1