Positive Covid test on ship

J&W92

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The only protocols are that Carnival had to have agreements with hotels - even the CDC admits that they may not have occupancy available. Carnival has to have transportation arrangements. Nothing says they have to use either. There also has to be sufficient local health care, which in many places, there is not currently. Some people are having to go 100 miles or more for a hospital bed.

Someone who drove their personal car to the port may certainly be allowed to drive it to a quarantine hotel, and if they choose not to stop? Oh well. I'd drive the speed limit to the county line.

We continue to agree to disagree.

Galveston's trauma service area of counties is out of ICU beds.  They still have regular hospital beds and  can do a few makeshift ICU.  Thankfully, serious illness is rare for the vaccinated.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

AS we learned from one family - all Carnival did for them was hand them a list of hotels, some with wrong phone numbers, and left it up to them.

Well carnival did give them free phone calls, free internet, free in cabin movies and paid for transporting them to a hotel in Houston a hour approx away from Galveston. They did isolate them in a cove balcony not a inside. 

I'm not unhappy with carnival. 

• Like 5

The family threatened to call an ambulance if Carnival didn't provide transportation. There was nothing prearranged.

We dont know what carnival would have done. Or if they transported her to avoid a ambulance showing up at the dock. Theoretical.  

Carnival did call her the 2nd day of quarantine to check up and she gave them a earful. 

Let's see if there is a 2nd time and what carnival does before we jump to conclusions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

We dont know what carnival would have done. Or if they transported her to avoid a ambulance showing up at the dock. Theoretical.  

Ambulances meet cruise ships all the time. I don't think that motivated Carnival at all.

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well carnival did give them free phone calls, free internet, free in cabin movies and paid for transporting them to a hotel in Houston a hour approx away from Galveston. They did isolate them in a cove balcony not a inside. 

That's not too bad, and makes me feel better about our upcoming cruise. We live about 20 miles from the port and plan on ubering to the cruise ship.

The family threatened to call an ambulance if Carnival didn't provide transportation. There was nothing prearranged.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Ambulances meet cruise ships all the time. I don't think that motivated Carnival at all.

Ah ok. 

I did find it interesting the family said only 1 isolation hotel was in Galveston and the others in houston. She went near hobby airport where hotels are the cheapest. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. We are trying to keep up w/ all the updates as there seems to be changes often. 

22 hours ago, Babr said:

No chance of an outbreak preventing the ship from docking. Those possibilities were addressed in the CSO.

Greater chance that you will be required to quarantine before returning home if you test positive.

Little chance that you can drive yourself home based on the experience of the last people on Carnival who had to quarantine. They had flown to the port, but at no point were they given the option to drive themselves home in a rent car. That tells me you are required to quarantine regardless of how you got to the port.

• Like 2

Our cruise is on Sep 26 from NOLA. We've thought a lot about this, but if there was a big outbreak on the cruise we're in a balcony (if they let us stay in our room). We're traveling with N95 masks in case we need them. And if we were to test positive, we'll be bringing our work computers and can work remotely from a quarantine hotel. Our kids will be safe with the grandparents and we'll just let their schools know they can't come back until we're done with quarantine. I hope it doesn't happen, but we have a few plans in place in case it does. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

No free movies!  Back home enjoying the pool in CT!  All family members healthy!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

No free movies!  Back home enjoying the pool in CT!  All family members healthy!

Been there done that. Horses, etc. The main impact the pandemic cost us was cruising. Gonna make up for lost time.

• Like 1

Also as far as I know I would have been able to rent a car to drive back home, unless they changed their mind...which would have been par for the course.  Renting 2 cars to drive 1700 miles did not sound like fun for us...plus the people I would have been exposed yo gor gas, bathroom etc...

6 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

Oh no, just free internet which probably was better than any movies carnival had.

Glad you are back home. The saga of last week continues lol. 

6 minutes ago, EMOSEA said:

Our cruise is on Sep 26 from NOLA. We've thought a lot about this, but if there was a big outbreak on the cruise we're in a balcony (if they let us stay in our room). We're traveling with N95 masks in case we need them. And if we were to test positive, we'll be bringing our work computers and can work remotely from a quarantine hotel. Our kids will be safe with the grandparents and we'll just let their schools know they can't come back until we're done with quarantine. I hope it doesn't happen, but we have a few plans in place in case it does. 

Similar for us but we'll drive home whatever Carnival or others think  Unless Carnival wants to let us keep the aft wrap for another week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deweytrader said:

Thank goodness! I'm glad you all are back home, considering the ordeal you had to endure. Thank you for sharing your experiences! 

I agree with most of the people on this thread. Even with the Delta variant, with the levels of protection the cruise industry is taking a breakout is very unlikely. Much more is known about this decease then was known during Feb/Mar 2020. Even after cruises restarted, before everyone HAD to get tested i think the most positive cases on one ship was around a dozen out of like 3000? I dont think there is too much to worry about as far as a ship not being able to dock again.

19 hours ago, Brew12 said:

There are many times where doing the wrong thing isn't in violation of the law. 

A good example of that is Carnival's masking requirements. I see people arguing about if you can take your mask off in a bar area or if "slip and sip" is required. What I am coming to a conclusion on is that "slip and sip" is required but not enforced so people are planning on violating that policy while on their cruise.

The right thing to do, and what is actually being done, rarely line up nicely.

I don't know why something has to be illegal for someone to not knowing spread a dangerous disease. Mask mandates when you are vaccinated and recently tested negative are a million miles away from being confirmed positive and knowingly exposing others anyway. 

• Like 1

So, it would appear that we have some answers now, courtesy of Parodeejay who were on the Mardi Gras inaugural sailing. I'll link the video below, but here are some points of interest from their video:

They were moved from their Spa Interior to an Oceanview room and were told that the new room had special air filtration and uv lighting.

They were initially told that only the positive person would be moved and the other one would stay in their room; however, since it was the last night of the cruise they allowed both to move.

They placed a table outside their door to receive room service (they moved after dinner so only received breakfast on disembark morning). 

They proactively contacted the off-site parking location, Go Port, and told them of their situation. Go Port advised that they would send a private car (driven by the President of the company).

They were last off and required to use a crew elevator and exit on deck 3 which is crew exit. They departed at 10:00 and as they were video taping when they got off the ship, he said "we are now free to do as we please". I assume they had advised Carnival of the plans they had already made re: transportation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ez4XmobeWc

Edited by ScottsSweetie
spelling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

So, it would appear that we have some answers now, courtesy of Parodeejay who were on the Mardi Gras inaugural sailing. I'll link the video below, but here are some points of interest from their video:

They were moved from their Spa Interior to an Oceanview room and were told that the new room had special air filtration and uv lighting.

They were initially told that only the positive person would be moved and the other one would stay in their room; however, since it was the last night of the cruise they allowed both to move.

They placed a table outside their door to receive room service (they moved after dinner so only received breakfast on disembark morning). 

They proactively contacted the off-site parking location, Go Port, and told them of their situation. Go Port advised that they would send a private car (driven by the President of the company).

They were last off and required to use a crew elevator and exit on deck 3 which is crew exit. They departed at 10:00 and as they were video taping when they got off the ship, he said "we are now free to do as we please". I assume they had advised Carnival of the plans they had already made re: transportation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ez4XmobeWc

They followed up in their livestream last night that there were approx 14 other people who were last off with them, due to Covid. Jay suspected that most were family traveling with those who tested positive and guessed that there might have been about 4 others who tested positive, aside from Dee.

Edited by Keys2Heaven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 7:59 PM, firefly333 said:

With pre tests starting the odds should be down, but if you do test positive seems like you are allowed to quarantine. Deck 2 seems to be where they quarantine. 

No one can confirm much about positive covid cases as carnival isnt disclosing them publically. Havent heard if we can drive home or not. 

Currently on the Horizon… sea day.  Two positive cases (not us).  Allegedly disembarking the two via a boat meeting us somewhere at sea at around 10:30am today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psppcojeff said:

Currently on the Horizon… sea day.  Two positive cases (not us).  Allegedly disembarking the two via a boat meeting us somewhere at sea at around 10:30am today.

It would sure be good to know the details. Where are they going, which port, how sick they are. 

If this is the last we hear we still dont know much of anything how its handled. Was it their choice or are they having symptoms? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It would sure be good to know the details. Where are they going, which port, how sick they are. 

If this is the last we hear we still dont know much of anything how its handled. Was it their choice or are they having symptoms? 

It is never a choice to get off a ship already underway at sea. Something else is going on.