The Demise of the Suite Lounge

I for one, will miss the Pinnacles in the lounge. They provide so much entertainment. 

The peacock pinnacle group provides the best people watching as they strut around thinking they are special because all they do in life is cruise.

The larger group though, are the nicest people in the world who entertain you with the best stories, catch you up on the history of the line, and offer the most helpful advice.  I have had the best conversations in the lounge, ones that will be sorely missed.  I hope they do reverse the decision before we decide to book again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

I thought rccl suite perks were pretty good , until I tried a celebrity suite, perks definitely way better, cannot even compare suite restaurant and lounge , other line that is has excellent perks is MSC yacht club which as a much nicer lounge and perks.

MSC YC has the best suite lounge, private pool, spa & restaurant. RCL & Celebrity doesn’t come close to what the YC offers. 

6 hours ago, cured said:

I for one, will miss the Pinnacles in the lounge. They provide so much entertainment. 

The peacock pinnacle group provides the best people watching as they strut around thinking they are special because all they do in life is cruise.

The larger group though, are the nicest people in the world who entertain you with the best stories, catch you up on the history of the line, and offer the most helpful advice.  I have had the best conversations in the lounge, ones that will be sorely missed.  I hope they do reverse the decision before we decide to book again.

Currently in a OS on Harmony- it is no fun sitting in the lounge with only 2 or 3  peacock suite guests who tell how much and what they can afford.

We are truly missing the Pinnacles here. Yes there are Pinnacles from a certain island nation who usually rearrange large seating areas and get loud after more alcohol consumption, but in general the Pinnacles we meet are down to earth people who are an enrichment in the suite lounge. The silence of the deserted lounge and deserted CK is depressing. The servers and waiters are looking for customers but there is only the occasional  3 generation Spanish family, camping in one suite visiting the lounge....

9 hours ago, LorraineP said:

MSC YC has the best suite lounge, private pool, spa & restaurant. RCL & Celebrity doesn’t come close to what the YC offers. 

The new Edge class outdoor area is really close to YC outdoor with pool , Celebrity bartenders there were excellent, agree  YC lounge is much nicer , plus there entertainment , but food quality is better in Luminae.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 10:39 AM, smokeybandit said:

Diamond lounge

Got this in an email

While access to Suite & Concierge Lounges remains temporarily paused for our Pinnacle Club members, we are happy to introduce a new Pinnacle Club Lounge for nightly gatherings from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Our top tier members will enjoy light hors d'oeuvres and full bar service in a dedicated venue each night, and this newly dedicated space will operate through November 1. We will continue to assess COVID-19 public health conditions and protocols, and you can expect us to further communicate updates on this benefit as the situation evolves.

F508834F-A6B8-46D9-BB2C-7E485D16C0BF.jpeg

1 hour ago, George C said:

The new Edge class outdoor area is really close to YC outdoor with pool , Celebrity bartenders there were excellent, agree  YC lounge is much nicer , plus there entertainment , but food quality is better in Luminae.

Well that’s good to hear much better than Summit or what RCL has to offer suites. You’re right about lounge YC much nicer, bigger & either piano or violist at night. From YC lounge you can walk outside & more private areas with lounges.  We did enjoy food on Seaside & the service. The shows were different & we did enjoy. Also like the grill by the pool, lunch cooked for you not sitting under heating lights. Talking about it now I surely miss it but we don’t want to fly anymore. Had 2 cruises booked in YC when they were going to leave from NY October 2019 but MSC decided to cancel NY sailings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Well that’s good to hear much better than Summit or what RCL has to offer suites. You’re right about lounge YC much nicer, bigger & either piano or violist at night. From YC lounge you can walk outside & more private areas with lounges.  We did enjoy food on Seaside & the service. The shows were different & we did enjoy. Also like the grill by the pool, lunch cooked for you not sitting under heating lights. Talking about it now I surely miss it but we don’t want to fly anymore. Had 2 cruises booked in YC when they were going to leave from NY October 2019 but MSC decided to cancel NY sailings. 

The biggest difference in the YC vs Edge pools is YC is about 6ft deep Edge less than 4 ft so people were just standing in pool drinking. Too bad MSC isn’t sailing from New York, love cruising from there. 

This came in an email from CEO this morning..

I'll C&P the part that many are interested in.  

As unpredictable as the seas have been over the last 17 months, you’ve never wavered. 
Thank you for your support through it all. One of the ways we’d like to show our 
gratitude is by safely bringing back several Crown & Anchor Society benefits that were 
paused due to COVID-19. We recognize just how important your benefits are to you, and 
you can expect the following to return with some small adjustments on cruises setting 
sail as soon as September 1: 

• The Diamond Lounge is fully opening its doors to welcome more Diamond members and above 
• The exclusive Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club Top-tier Event 
• Complimentary breakfast in specialty restaurants for Pinnacle Club members 

Just now, George C said:

The biggest difference in the YC vs Edge pools is YC is about 6ft deep Edge less than 4 ft so people were just standing in pool drinking. Too bad MSC isn’t sailing from New York, love cruising from there. 

I've been on Celebrity and MSC ships...the biggest difference is what you run into when you are not in the Yacht Club on MSC....IMHO..

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 9:44 PM, mike123abc said:

I went to the "Concierge Lounge" on Ovation this evening.  It was empty before 5pm, I was the only one in there.  A few trickled in after 5pm happy hour started.  The waiters asked cabin numbers when taking drinks.  The concierge said it was suite only, pinnacles excluded.

It seems like it would be better if on a sailing by sailing basis they decided who would be welcome.  If there were too many pinnacles on a sailing exclude.  Empty sailings let in D+ perhaps.

We were on the 13 August 2021 Ovation sailing; there were a total of 5 Pinnacle Members onboard.     They could have easily accommodated that many, but there is often a much higher number of Pinnacle members onboard and I'm sure they are going for consistency.

• Like 2

Yesterday and the day before, nobody showed up for HH in the suite lounge (except us). Empty, echo, helloooo.

The 13 Pins onboard had been an enrichment for servers and atmosphere but of course they were denied access and had to go to their Pin lounge (which btw was empty as well). It is so ridiculous to temporarily ban the Pins from using the suite lounge. Setting up the useless Pin lounge required  resources (2 servers, on guest service officer) that are totally unnecessary. But than on the other hand I do not have the eternal wisdom of a Miami landbased RCI planner who does not allow the hotel directors to deviate on their own....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, George C said:

We just sailed Edge in a Sky Suite last month and the Allure two weeks ago in an Aquatheatre Suite.  I agree that Luminae is better than CK. The E-class retreat areas are much better than Celebrity’s M or S class. 

We felt that Celebrity in a Sky Suite was better than Royal in Sky class. The AQ suite was Star class and that s a more difficult comparison.

In response to our experience, we “traded” 4 future Sky class cruises on Royal for 3 Sky Suite cruise on Celebrity Edge/Apex. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

1 hour ago, mac_tlc said:

We just sailed Edge in a Sky Suite last month and the Allure two weeks ago in an Aquatheatre Suite.  I agree that Luminae is better than CK. The E-class retreat areas are much better than Celebrity’s M or S class. 

We felt that Celebrity in a Sky Suite was better than Royal in Sky class. The AQ suite was Star class and that s a more difficult comparison.

In response to our experience, we “traded” 4 future Sky class cruises on Royal for 3 Sky Suite cruise on Celebrity Edge/Apex. 

mac_tlc

With all due respects, IMHO, it is not a fair comparison to compare a Celebrity Sky Suite with Royal's Sky class.

I believe a Sky Suite on Celebrity is equivalent to a Junior Suite on Royal. They are about the same size but offer different amenities.

Based on size,

A Celebrity Suite is equivalent with a Grand Suite.

A Royal Suite with an Owner's Suite.

A Penthouse with the Royal Suite.

When I first sailed Celebrity in 2015, the Sky Suites did not have access Michael's, the then Suite Lounge or any full suite amenities. This changed several years later.

4 minutes ago, Yorkshire-Pudding said:

With all due respects, IMHO, it is not a fair comparison to compare a Celebrity Sky Suite with Royal's Sky class.

I believe a Sky Suite on Celebrity is equivalent to a Junior Suite on Royal. They are about the same size but offer different amenities.

Based on size,

A Celebrity Suite is equivalent with a Grand Suite.

A Royal Suite with an Owner's Suite.

A Penthouse with the Royal Suite.

When I first sailed Celebrity in 2015, the Sky Suites did not have access Michael's, the then Suite Lounge or any full suite amenities. This changed several years later.

Size isn’t the only thing that matters😜

If you want to just go by size, then Celebrity’s advantage is even greater. The entire package of a Sky Suite on Celebrity is far superior to a Junior Suite which is Sea Class, and has very few perks other than the larger room. 

For us, the comparison usually comes down to a Royal GS vs a Celebrity SS. Still prefer Celebrity — the entire suite package (room size, lounge, perks, restaurant) is much better . Of course , IMHO. 

mac_tlc

2 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Size isn’t the only thing that matters😜

If you want to just go by size, then Celebrity’s advantage is even greater. The entire package of a Sky Suite on Celebrity is far superior to a Junior Suite which is Sea Class, and has very few perks other than the larger room. 

For us, the comparison usually comes down to a Royal GS vs a Celebrity SS. Still prefer Celebrity — the entire suite package (room size, lounge, perks, restaurant) is much better . Of course , IMHO. 

mac_tlc

😆 Let's not go there about size.

We started cruising in a Royal GS but moved up to RS on Celebrity when they introduced Suite Class. Loved that everything was included. Both our 2021 and 2022 on Celebrity were however cancelled.

Can appreciate your comparison of SS to GS. With introduction of Always Included (AI) by Celebrity, it does just comes down to cabin size as you said now, whereas before AI, I could make the excuse that there were different amenities not just space included do we had to move up (that's what I told he who pays anyway after I spend).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kbonner said:

The 13 Pins onboard had been an enrichment for servers and atmosphere but of course they were denied access and had to go to their Pin lounge (which btw was empty as well). It is so ridiculous to temporarily ban the Pins from using the suite lounge.

The problem is that the numbers of Pinnacles aboard any specific sailing is not constant.  In fact, they vary considerably.  That being the case you can not supply a reasonable chance for a comfortable seating in the suite lounge.  13 additional guests may not be an issue, but 130 certainly will be.

Again, I hope Royal keeps this policy.  If the Pinnacles want to use the suite lounge they can by staying in a suite.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

The problem is that the numbers of Pinnacles aboard any specific sailing is not constant.  In fact, they vary considerably.  That being the case you can not supply a reasonable chance for a comfortable seating in the suite lounge.  13 additional guests may not be an issue, but 130 certainly will be.

Again, I hope Royal keeps this policy.  If the Pinnacles want to use the suite lounge they can by staying in a suite.

Wow...you have been on a cruise with 130 Pinnacles?  😮 Perhaps a TA?   Quite rare, I would assume, to have that kind of number otherwise.  

I should think with each sailing, RCI knows in advance how many Pinnies will be on board each one in advance.  Quite easy to change things around to accommodate with each sailing.  

I agree with kbonner.  In cases of low number of Pinnies...just does not make sense to set up a whole other venue when both the Pinnacle lounge and the Suites lounge is empty.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Yesterday and the day before, nobody showed up for HH in the suite lounge (except us). Empty, echo, helloooo.

The 13 Pins onboard had been an enrichment for servers and atmosphere but of course they were denied access and had to go to their Pin lounge (which btw was empty as well). It is so ridiculous to temporarily ban the Pins from using the suite lounge. Setting up the useless Pin lounge required  resources (2 servers, on guest service officer) that are totally unnecessary. But than on the other hand I do not have the eternal wisdom of a Miami landbased RCI planner who does not allow the hotel directors to deviate on their own....

Perfectly stated...and sadly so true.  

38 minutes ago, island lady said:

Wow...you have been on a cruise with 130 Pinnacles?  😮 Perhaps a TA?   Quite rare, I would assume, to have that kind of number otherwise.  

Yes...a TA, and to be honest I think it was more than 200.  They had an overflow lounge, but, it was a mess.  Lounge was not useable at all during HH.  The point is, as you allude to below, the number of Pinnacles is a variable and it can vary considerably.  If C&A wants to offer benefits to their top tier guests they should do so without impacting others.  Especially those who typically pay a significantly higher price for the cruise.

42 minutes ago, island lady said:

I should think with each sailing, RCI knows in advance how many Pinnies will be on board each one in advance.  Quite easy to change things around to accommodate with each sailing.  

I think that would be a logistical nightmare.  Especially if you were doing consecutive cruises and the rules changed between them.

Pinnacles can always sail in a suite and then they have access to the suite lounge and any other lounges that C&A may or may not make available to them.  If, for whatever reason, they choose not to, the Diamond lounge is available.  It basically has the same offerings, sans free drinks.

51 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Yes...a TA, and to be honest I think it was more than 200.  They had an overflow lounge, but, it was a mess.  Lounge was not useable at all during HH.  The point is, as you allude to below, the number of Pinnacles is a variable and it can vary considerably.  If C&A wants to offer benefits to their top tier guests they should do so without impacting others.  Especially those who typically pay a significantly higher price for the cruise.

I think that would be a logistical nightmare.  Especially if you were doing consecutive cruises and the rules changed between them.

Pinnacles can always sail in a suite and then they have access to the suite lounge and any other lounges that C&A may or may not make available to them.  If, for whatever reason, they choose not to, the Diamond lounge is available.  It basically has the same offerings, sans free drinks.

I sail in suites.  Wow...go figure.  😉  

Not that long ago, Ds were kicked out of the CL (only suites/upper tier C&A lounge on the ships).  Then seems pre-covid the D+ were kicked out.  Now...the Pinnacles.  

Could you tell me, what exactly, is the draw to keep loyal cruisers in a loyalty program...coming back to RCI?  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

Could you tell me, what exactly, is the draw to keep loyal cruisers in a loyalty program...coming back to RCI?  

Are you suggesting that access to the suite lounge is the only draw?  I'd suggest it's not.  Just speaking for myself, the loyalty program has some appeal, but, come back to Royal for the product.

That being said, I think somebody needs to take a step back and look at the C&A program.  If they were just starting it today, what would it look like?  Assuming that vision is what they want then a plan needs to be laid out to get there.  Let's face it, C&A is showing it's age, and there are probably ways to make it both more desirable.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

Are you suggesting that access to the suite lounge is the only draw?  I'd suggest it's not.  Just speaking for myself, the loyalty program has some appeal, but, come back to Royal for the product.

That being said, I think somebody needs to take a step back and look at the C&A program.  If they were just starting it today, what would it look like?  Assuming that vision is what they want then a plan needs to be laid out to get there.  Let's face it, C&A is showing it's age, and there are probably ways to make it both more desirable.

I actually don't use the SL on Oasis class ships, except to occasionally pop in for a wine/beer perhaps after a day in port when it is basically empty.  We love to sit at the small bar.  But I do enjoy CK. 

On smaller ships, we would enjoy the lounge that had best features...could be DL (as in Freedom class)...could be CL (as in Radiance class).  Though the CL now is restricted to suites only as well. RCI just too cheap or lazy to change the name on the door from CL to SL.  

For us, the lounges in the past were always a nice quiet place to get away from the crunch of other crowded lounges and meet up with other long time cruisers...but now, with Ds, D+ and Pinnies crunched into one lounge (made smaller and less welcoming on Oasis class in "the bilge" on deck four)...we are back to crowded.  One of the best things for me still is...the coffee machine.  🤗

My comment was that there is no arguing about the obvious cut backs I am seeing on the whole C&A program.  IMHO, RCI does not care about their loyal cruisers any longer.  They are after the big bang for the buck of suites cruisers only.  

I have started booking other lines. 
For us...there is no reason to stay loyal to Royal any longer.  

• Like 6