Hotel Recommendations for San Diego Departure

doone

Looking for hotel recommendations for my Panama Canal cruise out of San Diego.  Would love it close to pier and within walking distance to restaurants or have a restaurant in the hotel.  Airport shuttle would be a bonus but not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance.

If you look down the board there are many threads on the 6 or 8 hotels that are within walking distance of the port. We like the Embassy Suites. Be aware there is a train and trolley line behind some of the hotels...I would not chose the Homewood or Hampton...ok hotels, but the train can be a problem. 

The airport is two miles away, and a fairly cheap taxi ride. Hotel shuttles are occasionally provided.

• Like 1

Excellent, thanks so much, very helpful and I will try to check those hotels out again, but I love Embassy Suites, I will check that one out........................so nice to be thinking of cruising again!!!!

We stayed at the Wyndham Bayside almost directly across the port for our Panama Canal cruise.  We walked across the street with our wheeled luggage and found it very easy.

Edited by newmercies
clarity

13 hours ago, newmercies said:

We stayed at the Wyndham Bayside almost directly across the port for our Panama Canal cruise.  We walked across the street with our wheeled luggage and found it very easy.

Thank you, I found this hotel yesterday and am thinking this would be the perfect hotel.  any pros or cons on this hotel?  I think I would get a room overlooking the bay, would love to wake up and see my beautiful cruise ship…..

Any restaurant recommendations?

Edited by doone

9 hours ago, doone said:

Thank you, I found this hotel yesterday and am thinking this would be the perfect hotel.  any pros or cons on this hotel?  I think I would get a room overlooking the bay, would love to wake up and see my beautiful cruise ship…..

Any restaurant recommendations?

The hotel wasn't anything special tbh. We chose it because of the proximity to both the train and the cruise port.  We took the train down from Orange County. The hotel was clean and staff were friendly.  We were there in Feb '19.  We also have a Disney cruise leaving out of SD next spring so will probably stay there again.

We ate at the hotel and weren't impressed (but it wasn't terrible).  There are a ton of great restaurants in San Diego, but we're not there often enough to recommend a great dining experience.

Have fun on your cruise!

2 hours ago, newmercies said:

The hotel wasn't anything special tbh. We chose it because of the proximity to both the train and the cruise port.  We took the train down from Orange County. The hotel was clean and staff were friendly.  We were there in Feb '19.  We also have a Disney cruise leaving out of SD next spring so will probably stay there again.

We ate at the hotel and weren't impressed (but it wasn't terrible).  There are a ton of great restaurants in San Diego, but we're not there often enough to recommend a great dining experience.

Have fun on your cruise!

Thanks so much, I appreciate your help.

The Residence Inn Bayfront and SpringHill Suites Bayfront are in one building and directly across the street from the cruise terminal. Look at the map below, you can spin 360 and move forward and back on it. The Residence Inn is to the right, the cruise terminal is to the left.

https://goo.gl/maps/mNzxhcNzuS6j1sm58

This link shows the front of the RI (to the left) and the very nice Hotel InterContinental (to the right).  The cruise terminal is directly behind the view.

https://goo.gl/maps/tjmEiSqLd8dTqqcR7

You are very close to Little Italy, as in easy walking distance, and little Italy is one of San Diego's premier dining destinations. There are two dozen great places to eat within easy walking distance.

Some of the restaurants we like In Little Italy are Kettner Exchange, RoVino Rotisserie, Craft & Commerce, Buon Appetito, Monelo, Bencotto, Civica 1845, Sorrento, Juniper & Ivy, Herb & Wood, Crack Shack and Puerto La Boca. And there are more.......

7 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The Residence Inn Bayfront and SpringHill Suites Bayfront are in one building and directly across the street from the cruise terminal. Look at the map below, you can spin 360 and move forward and back on it. The Residence Inn is to the right, the cruise terminal is to the left.

This link shows the front of the RI (to the left) and the very nice Hotel InterContinental (to the right).  The cruise terminal is directly behind the view.

You are very close to Little Italy, as in easy walking distance, and little Italy is one of San Diego's premier dining destinations. There are two dozen great places to eat within easy walking distance.

Some of the restaurants we like In Little Italy are Kettner Exchange, RoVino Rotisserie, Craft & Commerce, Buon Appetito, Monelo, Bencotto, Civica 1845, Sorrento, Juniper & Ivy, Herb & Wood, Crack Shack and Puerto La Boca. And there are more.......

Thank you so much, this information is great and so very helpful.

On 8/18/2021 at 8:16 PM, scottca075 said:

Thanks so much for this information. Are these two hotels also accessible by walking from the ship upon dis embarkment and do either offer free airport shuttle? The Wyndam Bayside apparently is and does but not sure able the two hotels you have mentioned. Thanks again for your insight.

9 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

Thanks so much for this information. Are these two hotels also accessible by walking from the ship upon dis embarkment and do either offer free airport shuttle? The Wyndam Bayside apparently is and does but not sure able the two hotels you have mentioned. Thanks again for your insight.

I am pretty sure neither (Residence Inn & SpringHill Suites) offers an airport shuttle, but both include a hot breakfast, which is probably more valuable than an Uber ride the 2.5 miles to the airport.

Both are definitely walkable on debarkation, they are literally across the street.

12 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I am pretty sure neither (Residence Inn & SpringHill Suites) offers an airport shuttle, but both include a hot breakfast, which is probably more valuable than an Uber ride the 2.5 miles to the airport.

Both are definitely walkable on debarkation, they are literally across the street.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Flipped a coin and booked at Springhill Suites! Thanks again.

Edited by PROCRUISE

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 9:07 AM, CruiserBruce said:

If you look down the board there are many threads on the 6 or 8 hotels that are within walking distance of the port. We like the Embassy Suites. Be aware there is a train and trolley line behind some of the hotels...I would not chose the Homewood or Hampton...ok hotels, but the train can be a problem. 

The airport is two miles away, and a fairly cheap taxi ride. Hotel shuttles are occasionally provided.

Hi Bruce🙂, its been quite a few years since I have sailed from San Diego. I know about the hotels across from the Pier though......l might be sailing again from there in May 2022.  Do you know anything about the ones in either the Gas Lamp area or Little Italy?

Thanks.......I tried a search and cannot seem to find anything.......unless I am doing it wrong.......the search feature seems a bit funky these days.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Bruce, its been quite a few years since I have sailed from San Diego. I know about the hotels across from the Pier though......l might be sailing again from there in May 2022.  Do you know anything about the ones in either the Gas Lamp area or Little Italy?

Which hotels? What would you like to know about them? There are two dozen or more in the Gaslamp, East Village, Marina, Little Italy and Core District, which are the other neighborhoods of Downtown besides the Columbia neighborhood, which is where the cruise port is.

Downtown San Diego is pretty small. It is easy to walk from the Columbia neighborhood to the Gaslamp, and of course to Little Italy. I think Columbia is the nicest neighborhood right now. It is on the water, very walkable and relatively quiet.

1 minute ago, scottca075 said:

Which hotels? What would you like to know about them? There are two dozen or more in the Gaslamp, East Village, Marina, Little Italy and Core District, which are the other neighborhoods of Downtown besides the Columbia neighborhood, which is where the cruise port is.

Downtown San Diego is pretty small. It is easy to walk from the Columbia neighborhood to the Gaslamp, and of course to Little Italy. I think Columbia is the nicest neighborhood right now. It is on the water, very walkable and relatively quiet.

Hi Scott, can you give me a recommendation for a hotel there? Somewhere in 200.00-300.00 range?

I know Little Italy.......stayed there many years ago.   Not sure I have ever heard of the Columbia neighborhood. I will use my friend Google.

Columbia is where the cruise port is, and the USS Midway, etc. It is "in front" of Little Italy.

You have the names of the The Residence Inn Bayfront, SpringHill Suites Bayfront, Hotel InterContinental San Diego, Hotel Carte, and Wyndham San Diego Bayside presumably. Those are the hotels nearest the cruise terminal. You might find one of them under $300.

My parent's favorite place to stay in DT San Diego is La Pensione in the heart of Little Italy. Also in Little Italy is the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn.

Nice and reasonable not far from the cruise terminal are the Hotel Bristol, Sofia Hotel, The Westgate and Courtyard San Diego Downtown.

No idea how hotel pricing will be May 2022, but it is cheap right now because of lack of convention business and business travel. You might be able to lock in a 4 star hotel on the cheap, so do check the Manchester Grand Hyatt and Marriott Marquis too.

Thank you for the detailed reply😀. I knew I had stayed in Little Italy but could not remember the name of the place.......it was La Pensione...... it is near a bunch of restaurants, right? It was many years ago.

I will look at a few of the others you mentioned. 

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Bruce🙂, its been quite a few years since I have sailed from San Diego. I know about the hotels across from the Pier though......l might be sailing again from there in May 2022.  Do you know anything about the ones in either the Gas Lamp area or Little Italy?

Thanks.......I tried a search and cannot seem to find anything.......unless I am doing it wrong.......the search feature seems a bit funky these days.

We have stayed in the Hilton Gaslamp. Nice place, pretty much in the middle of all the action.

9 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We have stayed in the Hilton Gaslamp. Nice place, pretty much in the middle of all the action.

Hi Bruce, thanks for the reply🙂. Just checked the Hilton Website and they have NOTHING available on the night I would need.......wow.

Plenty of other choices though.

I second Wyndham Bayside, since it's right across from the cruise terminal, and you're not waiting for a shuttle or dealing with loading and unloading luggage. Hotel shuttles also fill up, so walking allows you to get to the pier when you want, and avoid the close contact of a packed shuttle. They have several buildings, some overlooking the ship in the morning, and they have a reasonably-priced decent restaurant, Claim Jumper. Little Italy isn't too far, and all the waterfront attractions, like the Midway, are also right across the street. Little Italy probably has some places to find a nice bottle of wine to carry onboard, but I've usually just stopped at a 7/11 and picked up a cheap bottle. I've also kept my hotel room card holder and after my cruise gone into a side door, removed ship tags from luggage,  and caught the hotel shuttle back to the airport, giving the driver a good tip. 

We are staying at the Residence Inn across from the pier nexr cruise in March.  Have stayed there on the Springhill Suites area and really liked it.  Very modern, fairly new and about 100-200 yards from the ship.  No airport shuttle, but a very good free breakfast.  It seems that the downtown area hotels are discontinuing airport shuttles (Hampton Inn just stopped their's).  The rate we got ($229 with free cancellation for Seniors) was very good IMO for this area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 11:15 PM, scottca075 said:

The Wyndham Bayside is tired and with 6 new hotels in the immediate area (Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, InterContinental San Diego, Homewood Suites, Hilton Garden Inn and Carte Hotel Curio Collection) there is no reason to have to stay at the Wyndham.

I noticed from your signature that you hail from Coronado.  Do you have any suggestions for a pre-cruise hotel in Coronado (other than the del Coronado due to bad reviews)?  Thank you!