MDR dress options

18 minutes ago, theotherchad said:

But, in this particular context, when I see someone dressed sloppily or overly casually in the MDR, I do wonder (not judge or decide), I wonder, are they perhaps placing their own (perfectly reasonable) desire for comfort above the equally reasonable desire of others to have the pleasant, elegant experience that the cruise line is trying to engender. 

In other words, some folks in this argument may be indulging in snobbery, but some others may be indulging in selfishness. 

Just a thought. 

When the cruise line requires or forbids specific manners of dress - for example bathing suits - it should be enforced.  When the cruise line explicitly identifies manners of dress as suggestions,  people who dress more casually are not violating the dress code nor are they being selfish.   

They are enjoying their vacation.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

When the cruise line requires or forbids specific manners of dress - for example bathing suits - it should be enforced.  When the cruise line explicitly identifies manners of dress as suggestions,  people who dress more casually are not violating the dress code nor are they being selfish.   

They are enjoying their vacation.  

Your opinion is noted.  😀

2 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Not about opinions.  It's about the published dress code.  Deal with it.

Alrighty then. It is a fact that they are not violating the rules. It is opinion that they are not being selfish. That sort of thing can't really be quantified. 

6 minutes ago, theotherchad said:

Alrighty then. It is a fact that they are not violating the rules. It is opinion that they are not being selfish. That sort of thing can't really be quantified. 

That you or someone else does not like a rule that I am following does not make me selfish.

You don't like the rule.  That has nothing to do with me.

• Like 1

I'm going on the Mariner of the seas in a few days for a 4 day cruise.

It sounds like the buffet is NOT an option for dinner.

What can we eat if we only bring shorts and sandals? Will they still let us in the main dining room for dinner?

6 hours ago, theotherchad said:

Making judgments is not the same thing as being judgmental. Making judgments is also not the same thing as making assumptions.  Making judgments is how smart people get through life. Intelligent people make judgments, but they don't assume that their judgments are correct. 

Now, I don't attach a great deal of importance to what people wear in general, but in this particular context, the cruise line has set out some suggestions in order to achieve a specific goal. That goal is to create an elegant atmosphere. Many people enjoy being part of that atmosphere and it is definitely part of the reason that some people enjoy the cruise experience. 

Others don't care at all about those sorts of things. But the poster you were responding to simply noted that "people" do make judgments. Which is incontrovertibly true. And it is sad that some people do make negative and unfair judgments about others based on their clothes. They think, "look at those trashy, uncouth people." It's not fair, but those attitudes exist. 

Personally, I don't judge people in that way. I never assume that the outer appearance is a clear indicator of what kind of person someone is. I've lived too long and seen too many horrible people in suits and ball gowns and too many sweet, kind intelligent people in overalls and tee shirts and flip flops to think that people are anywhere near that easy to judge. 

But, in this particular context, when I see someone dressed sloppily or overly casually in the MDR, I do wonder (not judge or decide), I wonder, are they perhaps placing their own (perfectly reasonable) desire for comfort above the equally reasonable desire of others to have the pleasant, elegant experience that the cruise line is trying to engender. 

In other words, some folks in this argument may be indulging in snobbery, but some others may be indulging in selfishness. 

Just a thought. 

Watch it.  Nicely put but you will be judged. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jacksonx said:

What can we eat if we only bring shorts and sandals? Will they still let us in the main dining room for dinner?

The dress code may be vague and enforcement lax, but I’m fairly certain they won’t let you eat topless. Best to pack some sort of shirt. 

33 minutes ago, jacksonx said:

Show up and see. A shirt will also be required to eat in the MDR. There's always the Cafe Promenade.

50 minutes ago, jacksonx said:

Do you wear socks with your sandals ?

On 8/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, CeeJayPonz said:

Sorry, new to RCCL. What is acceptable wear in the MDR on non-formal nights? Golf shorts, polos, and sandals...? Don't really want to dress up every night if possible. Any suggestions would be helpful for both men and women. Thanks in advance.

You can wear a dress if you want. I might stare a little but as long as it's tasteful you should be ok  🙂 

14 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Watch it.  Nicely put but you will be judged. 

Too late, it already happened. 

What's funny is that I don't know who bugs me more, the people who act as if shorts in the MDR is a sign of the apocalypse, or the ones who act as if dress codes are an unamerican commie plot to steal away their freedom to be as tacky as they wanna be. 

All in good fun! 😜

I remember once I was someplace where a "tie and jacket" was expected.  An adult, came up, without either, and said the sign said expected.  The host replied, yes, we expect you to wear a tie and jacket, else no service. 

You can twist "polite" words around but in the end, it still means to wear adult clothes on formal/dress you best nights.

• Like 2

Thanks to all of you who answered my question about the MDR dress code. Let me clear something up for some of you. I said I was new to RCCL, not CRUISING. I know how to dress formally and casually for dinner on a cruise ship. I have worn a three piece suit on formal night, dockers and polo shirts, nice shorts and a pull-over collared shirt on the non-formal nights. I didn't ask the question to "stir the pot". I just want to be as FASHIONABLY comfortable as possible on my vacation. Please don't judge me for this reply. Thanks again for all of the answers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CeeJayPonz said:

Thanks to all of you who answered my question about the MDR dress code. Let me clear something up for some of you. I said I was new to RCCL, not CRUISING. I know how to dress formally and casually for dinner on a cruise ship. I have worn a three piece suit on formal night, dockers and polo shirts, nice shorts and a pull-over collared shirt on the non-formal nights. I didn't ask the question to "stir the pot". I just want to be as FASHIONABLY comfortable as possible on my vacation. Please don't judge me for this reply. Thanks again for all of the answers. 

Thank you for qualifying as “fashionably” comfortable. Otherwise, ”comfortable” is how you keep patients with a terminal illness. 

On 8/17/2021 at 9:36 AM, davekathy said:

I  started wearing  golf/polo style shirts with dockers on all evenings a few years ago. MDR/MTD no problem. 

Same with my DH.  Personally, I wear some sort of dress each night, but not out of pressure to “fit in”- I just like to dress up each night, and like the ease of just throwing 6-7 dresses into the suitcase, instead of mix and match outfits for dinner 🙂

On 8/17/2021 at 2:02 PM, molly361 said:

I've missed a good what can I wear thread😇

With the innumerable discussions on covid and vaccines and paperwork and test results, it feels delightfully nostalgic to have a simple dress code question. 

And, for our two cents on how we dress, we will do both chino/docker pants on casual nights as well as dress shorts plus collared short sleeve shirts. On formal nights we'll stick to casual pants (not jeans) plus dressier shoes and collared shirts. 

Edited by karmamule

On 8/17/2021 at 2:03 PM, livingonthebeach said:

I've seen just about everything in the MDR. You'll be fine with shorts, polo and sandals. Unless you are wearing a swimsuit or bikini, you won't be turned away.

I wear shorts many times.  On some cruises out of Bayonne, I look out of place if I don't wear shorts.😀 Also, most men bathing trunks look like shorts and had no problems at breakfast or lunch,

Edited by nelblu