MDR dress options

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, I would love to see them do that, and turn people away, especially on dress you best nights etc.  

I have no concerns about what anyone chooses to wear for dinner. I'm not there to look at you and what you are wearing. It has no impact on my meal and sad that it does for you. Lot's of high end cruise ships that have an enforced dress code...perhaps you would be more comfortable sailing with them than RCI. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We were on the Liberty in 1/2020 (sadly last cruise due to pandemic for us) to the western Caribbean.  There was a large table near ours with a group of couples.  They allowed two of the men to wear shorts in the MDR on non-formal nights.  However I saw them reject one man on "formal" night for wearing shorts so he returned wearing blue jeans.  The other man had been wearing blue jeans.  On that one cruise in that one MDR they were enforcing no shorts on the so called formal night which is anything but formal. 

I have never dressed anything near formal usually with dockers and a button shirt but shorts on their version of formal night is a bridge too far for me.  I have since left the button shirt at home and replaced it with a guayabera which is much more comfortable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

but shorts on their version of formal night is a bridge too far for me.  I have since left the button shirt at home and replaced it with a guayabera which is much more comfortable. 

And those wearing shorts could say the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Just curious, am I the only one that wonders why people actually asks this question?  Is it because they really don't know.  Is it because they want justification for not changing for the evening?  Or is it just to stir the pot.  Not like anyone is going to change their mind.  Those that think a formal dinner means, nice shorts, and a t-shirt will not change their mind, ever.  

I honestly didn't know, I found this thread because someone told my RCL's policy had changed and I couldn't find it in the FAQ's.

I have no problem bringing a suit and/or tux for the formal nights. I don't want to have to bring a bunch of pants just so I can eat in the MDR on the other nights. I am much more comfortable in a nice pair of shorts and collared shirt. 

I'm all about not looking like a slob in MDR's but I don't understand the requirement to wear pants for guys. It just doesn't work for me for the average night on a cruise. 

On 8/17/2021 at 1:03 PM, shipgeeks said:

I think the mention of sandals referred to men, who don't necessarily have well-groomed feet.

Neither do a lot of women. Best not to look at anyone's feet if you are about to eat.😨

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brew12 said:

I honestly didn't know, I found this thread because someone told my RCL's policy had changed and I couldn't find it in the FAQ's.

I have no problem bringing a suit and/or tux for the formal nights. I don't want to have to bring a bunch of pants just so I can eat in the MDR on the other nights. I am much more comfortable in a nice pair of shorts and collared shirt. 

I'm all about not looking like a slob in MDR's but I don't understand the requirement to wear pants for guys. It just doesn't work for me for the average night on a cruise. 

I think you'll be in the minority wearing a tux or suit even on formal nights. RCI is becoming more and more relaxed on their "suggested" attire. 

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I think you'll be in the minority wearing a tux or suit even on formal nights. RCI is becoming more and more relaxed on their "suggested" attire. 

I'm perfectly ok with that, too. I don't mind wearing pants as the exception instead of the rule. And I always have the option to eat somewhere other than the MDR those nights. Just my preference to not have to bring and wear pants for every night.

3 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

I'm perfectly ok with that, too. I don't mind wearing pants as the exception instead of the rule. And I always have the option to eat somewhere other than the MDR those nights. Just my preference to not have to bring and wear pants for every night.

Your shorts will be just fine...no worries !!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We were on the Liberty in 1/2020 (sadly last cruise due to pandemic for us) to the western Caribbean.  There was a large table near ours with a group of couples.  They allowed two of the men to wear shorts in the MDR on non-formal nights.  However I saw them reject one man on "formal" night for wearing shorts so he returned wearing blue jeans.  The other man had been wearing blue jeans.  On that one cruise in that one MDR they were enforcing no shorts on the so called formal night which is anything but formal. 

I have never dressed anything near formal usually with dockers and a button shirt but shorts on their version of formal night is a bridge too far for me.  I have since left the button shirt at home and replaced it with a guayabera which is much more comfortable. 

You must have had an over zealous or new maitre d' trying to score points.

And possible complaints from a member of the old Fashion Police onboard.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

My last couple of cruises were on the allure. Im pretty sure i wore shorts and a collared shirt to the dining room and on formal night i  wore long pants with a collared shirt and no jacket.

Id say half the gents werent wearing a jacket either on the formal night .

My preference of long pants is black jeans , as it looks more dressy than blue jeans.

I dont buy blue jeans any more . Less to pack also . Just bring black ones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I have no concerns about what anyone chooses to wear for dinner. I'm not there to look at you and what you are wearing. It has no impact on my meal and sad that it does for you. Lot's of high end cruise ships that have an enforced dress code...perhaps you would be more comfortable sailing with them than RCI. 

Someone always say what you say.  Look, human nature is to judge everything.  After all, you judged my statement and assumed that it is sad it has an impact on my meal.  No, the meal tastes the same, but sitting at a table of 8 people, and 6 have a dress or button down shirt, long pants, and shoes on and one couple comes in with daisy dukes on and halter top, and the man has board shorts and a t-shirt I can assure you, everyone at the table, will make a judgement.  It is human nature, just like you judge people now.  

Watch how many heads turn when someone walks by with some weird outfit on.  So please don't judge me because I think on certain nights, people should make some effort to change and look nice. 

Human Nature will not be changed......it is a judgemental process that will always happen.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Just curious, am I the only one that wonders why people actually asks this question?  Is it because they really don't know.  Is it because they want justification for not changing for the evening?  Or is it just to stir the pot.  Not like anyone is going to change their mind.  Those that think a formal dinner means, nice shorts, and a t-shirt will not change their mind, ever.  

I usually ask a couple times a year just to stir the pot. 😛 

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Someone always say what you say.  Look, human nature is to judge everything.  After all, you judged my statement and assumed that it is sad it has an impact on my meal.  No, the meal tastes the same, but sitting at a table of 8 people, and 6 have a dress or button down shirt, long pants, and shoes on and one couple comes in with daisy dukes on and halter top, and the man has board shorts and a t-shirt I can assure you, everyone at the table, will make a judgement.  It is human nature, just like you judge people now.  

Watch how many heads turn when someone walks by with some weird outfit on.  So please don't judge me because I think on certain nights, people should make some effort to change and look nice. 

Human Nature will not be changed......it is a judgemental process that will always happen.

With what's going on in the world today...don't assume that everyone is as judgemental as you are about what other's wear to dine. Don't sit with those that aren't up to your standards and if you find yourself in that situation you're free to move. But you might find there's more to a person than what their wearing...give them a chance.

• Like 4

With the Windjammer closed for dinner now I think anything goes. Do make sure your swimsuit is dry though, common courtesy.

Seriously, my Adventure cruise in June was the least dressy cruise I've ever been on. Very casual even in the MDR. 

On 8/17/2021 at 8:26 AM, CeeJayPonz said:

Sorry, new to RCCL. What is acceptable wear in the MDR on non-formal nights? Golf shorts, polos, and sandals...? Don't really want to dress up every night if possible. Any suggestions would be helpful for both men and women. Thanks in advance.

Golf shirts (shirts with collars), long pants & shoes for guys. Gals have a bit more leeway

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Usually for me it is khaki pants and button down collared shirt on non formal nights and on formal nights it's a black suit, white shirt and tie.  Lobster tastes better when people dress nice 😛 

On the east coast, where they know how to eat Lobster, the way to eat Lobster is to wear a t-shirt and shorts and have the table covered in newspaper. 

In olden times they used to feed that crap to prisoners and the prisoners complained that it was cruel and unusual punishment. 😁

Now, as a person with semi - Brit heritage, if RCI ever serves serves haggis on formal night the tux, with kilt, will be on full display. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

On the east coast, where they know how to eat Lobster, the way to eat Lobster is to wear a t-shirt and shorts and have the table covered in newspaper. 

In olden times they used to feed that crap to prisoners and the prisoners complained that it was cruel and unusual punishment. 😁

Now, as a person with semi - Brit heritage, if RCI ever serves serves haggis on formal night the tux, with kilt, will be on full display. 😉

Are there any Robbie Burns charter cruises?

19 hours ago, Ashland said:

With what's going on in the world today...don't assume that everyone is as judgemental as you are about what other's wear to dine. Don't sit with those that aren't up to your standards and if you find yourself in that situation you're free to move. But you might find there's more to a person than what their wearing...give them a chance.

Making judgments is not the same thing as being judgmental. Making judgments is also not the same thing as making assumptions.  Making judgments is how smart people get through life. Intelligent people make judgments, but they don't assume that their judgments are correct. 

Now, I don't attach a great deal of importance to what people wear in general, but in this particular context, the cruise line has set out some suggestions in order to achieve a specific goal. That goal is to create an elegant atmosphere. Many people enjoy being part of that atmosphere and it is definitely part of the reason that some people enjoy the cruise experience. 

Others don't care at all about those sorts of things. But the poster you were responding to simply noted that "people" do make judgments. Which is incontrovertibly true. And it is sad that some people do make negative and unfair judgments about others based on their clothes. They think, "look at those trashy, uncouth people." It's not fair, but those attitudes exist. 

Personally, I don't judge people in that way. I never assume that the outer appearance is a clear indicator of what kind of person someone is. I've lived too long and seen too many horrible people in suits and ball gowns and too many sweet, kind intelligent people in overalls and tee shirts and flip flops to think that people are anywhere near that easy to judge. 

But, in this particular context, when I see someone dressed sloppily or overly casually in the MDR, I do wonder (not judge or decide), I wonder, are they perhaps placing their own (perfectly reasonable) desire for comfort above the equally reasonable desire of others to have the pleasant, elegant experience that the cruise line is trying to engender. 

In other words, some folks in this argument may be indulging in snobbery, but some others may be indulging in selfishness. 

Just a thought.