Drink Vouchers for Diamond

jrapps

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Celebrity's system was better because rather than being confined to a certain area, you could go to any bar.  If you wanted appetizers, you had to go to a designated area but were free to go in and out during the allotted time.  I wonder what Celebrity is doing now -- do you know?

I think Celebrity is moving towards building the drink package into the cruise price (along with internet and gratuities) so everyone has to pay for it whether they are Elite, Zenith, or first time cruisers.  That kind of takes away the need for any vouchers.  We're doing a cruise in March on Edge and we had to pay for the full inclusive deal.  There are some who are not happy with this direction.  I like Royal's response better.  It still feels like you're getting something as a perk rather than being forced to buy a package you may not really want or need.  Celebrity says they are going to add some more Elite perks, but I don't think they have so far.  This is their "honeymoon" period where people are so ecstatic about cruising again that they don't care a lot about the particulars, but the time will come when more people will wonder what happened to all of the benefits?

20 minutes ago, tserface said:

I think Celebrity is moving towards building the drink package into the cruise price (along with internet and gratuities) so everyone has to pay for it whether they are Elite, Zenith, or first time cruisers.  That kind of takes away the need for any vouchers.  We're doing a cruise in March on Edge and we had to pay for the full inclusive deal.  There are some who are not happy with this direction.  I like Royal's response better.  It still feels like you're getting something as a perk rather than being forced to buy a package you may not really want or need.  Celebrity says they are going to add some more Elite perks, but I don't think they have so far.  This is their "honeymoon" period where people are so ecstatic about cruising again that they don't care a lot about the particulars, but the time will come when more people will wonder what happened to all of the benefits?

Thanks for this information.  I agree that a drink package is not for everyone.  Too bad they are making everyone take the package deal.  IMHO, if they see the package is unpopular, they will probably stop requiring it. 

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Yes that is right.

Before covid19 Diamond and above could have unlimited drinks in the Diamond Lounge usually from 5.30pm until 8.30pm from a limited drinks menu as well as 3 drinks from the diamond drinks menu in other bars during 5.30pm till 8.30pm.

Certain drinks like Sauvignon Blanc,Pina Colada etc were not on the list so the new way which I suggested on a previous thread to reduce Diamond Lounge overcrowding pre covid19 is excellent as we are not restricted to the Diamond menu and don't mind paying a little to get the drinks we want.

Diamond plus get 5 drinks.

Pinnacle get 6 drinks.

Previously when the DL had happy hour with unlimited drinks “some decent tipping” would get you any kind of drink you wanted…🤫🤫

I only drink wine, but numerous times my hubby enjoyed margaritas, etc during HR in the Diamond Lounge….

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Previously when the DL had happy hour with unlimited drinks “some decent tipping” would get you any kind of drink you wanted…🤫🤫

I only drink wine, but numerous times my hubby enjoyed margaritas, etc during HR in the Diamond Lounge….

I may not have that much class... 🙂 ... but I thought the wine in the Diamond Club was not too bad.  I confess, for the price, I was not too picky.  Of course, we drink Red Diamond Merlot ($7/bottle) at home so our standards are not too high.

I usually drink gin & tonic, but my wife often got martinis, margaritas, cosmopolitans, and end even a mudslide drink once because the server said she had to try one.  We usually tip $1 per drink (I mean they're free to us so this is kind of a super win-win) and often, if the service is good, we'll give another $10-$20 at the end of the cruise.  You are correct.  If the servers notice someone is tipping, even a small amount, they give extra good service and tend to bend the rules a little.  I think they are given a little leeway to work for the tips.

The new system will be really good for us though since we can have the drinks anywhere at any time.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks for this information.  I agree that a drink package is not for everyone.  Too bad they are making everyone take the package deal.  IMHO, if they see the package is unpopular, they will probably stop requiring it. 

They are getting some push back on it already.  I don't know if they have it on all of the cruises at this time.  I have to confess, I would not likely buy a drink package (too cheap and don't drink enough), but since it's included on our March cruise I'm looking forward to trying some drinks I've never had before since it will be kind of risk free.  We get plenty of free internet already and always pay gratuities anyway.  I think they're trying to make the all inclusive price competitive, but of course, there are a lot of people who want to uncheck that box and get even a better deal. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tserface said:

I may not have that much class... 🙂 ... but I thought the wine in the Diamond Club was not too bad.  I confess, for the price, I was not too picky.  Of course, we drink Red Diamond Merlot ($7/bottle) at home so our standards are not too high.

I usually drink gin & tonic, but my wife often got martinis, margaritas, cosmopolitans, and end even a mudslide drink once because the server said she had to try one.  We usually tip $1 per drink (I mean they're free to us so this is kind of a super win-win) and often, if the service is good, we'll give another $10-$20 at the end of the cruise.  You are correct.  If the servers notice someone is tipping, even a small amount, they give extra good service and tend to bend the rules a little.  I think they are given a little leeway to work for the tips.

The new system will be really good for us though since we can have the drinks anywhere at any time.

Oh I am not a wine connoisseur for sure because my favorite is Barefoot Pino Grios….😂😂.  But you are correct a little kindness and a little green goes a very long way.  At least it did in the DL pre-Covid…..😢😢

The new system will be good in that we can use them anytime and anywhere during that day..

• Like 1

Wow, I’ve been gone too long. Did not know about this change.   Won’t be too long before we are diamond. Personally, I like this new system better. I’m sure there are those that love the unlimited drinks in the diamond lounge during that time window but that’s just not how we operate.  Four any time each day is a better perk for us

Dan

• Like 1

The new Diamond drink package is great. 4 drinks per day at any bar anytime. It also includes bottled water and can sodas. I got a few of them to keep in frige for mornings. I also ordered drinks at Coco Cay and they were covered! Almost seemed too good to be true! Enjoy!   🥂🍸🍷

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Here's a question for recent cruisers: 

Are the 5 drinks loaded for use on embarkation day? 

I cannot remember if the DL was open on day 1 - haven't been on RC since they had to stop going to Cuba. 

Yes as soon as you step on the ship you can hit the first bar you come to and go from there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have heard that you MUST use your vouchers for the day before you can purchase a drink.  For example, if there is a bar deal for  $8.00 or 2 for one Cesars (Bloody Mary) you can't opt out of saving your voucher later in the day when you want a more pricey glass of wine or martini.  Does anyone know if this is true?

1 minute ago, Magicat said:

That would be the common sense approach.  Just trying to dispel the myth.

Some inexperienced cruiser could be talked into using the voucher and they report it as such here, but, it doesn’t mean it has be that way by default or policy. 

1 hour ago, read2learn said:

The new Diamond drink package is great. 4 drinks per day at any bar anytime. It also includes bottled water and can sodas. I got a few of them to keep in frige for mornings. I also ordered drinks at Coco Cay and they were covered! Almost seemed too good to be true! Enjoy!   🥂🍸🍷

What size and what kind of bottled water do they have?

2 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

What size and what kind of bottled water do they have?

No brand name and just a 16 oz bottle I think. You may be able to get a brand,not sure. I think they had Dasani but in a can. I was just happy to get water as 1 of my drinks as I only bought the soda pkg.

Guest BigRoger

Currently on Anthem and was curious how the new process would feel/ work… we’ve found it to be brilliant and hope it’s here to stay….

5 hours ago, chaswelf said:

With this change I may never set foot in a diamond lounge again..

Even under the old system you didn't have to go to the DL lounge for free drinks, during happy hour you could get three drinks in any bar 

1 hour ago, BigRoger said:

Currently on Anthem and was curious how the new process would feel/ work… we’ve found it to be brilliant and hope it’s here to stay….

Did you still get the C&A welcome drink and a few bottles of water in the cabin on embarkation?