Need to start thinking "long term"

3Shelaghs

Hate to throw a wrench into current flux, but... as we are fussing over the mixed vax issue, we need to be thinking about the future.

Will these double vaccinations hold as being fully vax'd, or are we going to face a fall booster shot to be considered fully vax'd to cruise??

If Canada doesn't get onto this issue, we will once again be behind the rest of the world, and facing another vax issues with cruise lines.

I see UK is thinking of doing a rapid immunity test to decide if anyone needs a booster, but we don't know how long this original double vax will hold, if at all. And if CDC doesn't agree with immunity test, then we are back to where we are now.

Maybe the secret is "quit cruising with American cruise lines"?????

Canada started vaccination efforts several months later than the US and Europe. We now have the luxury of time to observe results elsewhere before making any decisions.

I know it's not a popular opinion on cc, but the fact is international leisure travel by Canadians is simply not important at this time. Nor should it be considered more important than reducing infection rates within the country in any future decisions.

• Like 5

Those that have the money to spend on cruises can do other vacations.

All inclusives will be popular this winter, especially since some resorts do free pcr testing.

Land based trips will be the option. 

I'm disappointed because NCL Pride of America was an easy way to see alot of the islands and my sons obsession with Titanic will only be fulfilled by  transatlantic.

In regards to infection rates it won't be affected as some provinces are pretending covid doesn't exist.

My TA said that as of today she received notice that Regent is accepting mixed vacs.

If Regent is doing this, NCL and Oceania must be close behind. 

She is usually accurate but don't know how that jives with CDC unless new boarder regs yet to be announced are to be changed to allow access to the US by car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

My TA said that as of today she received notice that Regent is accepting mixed vacs.

She is usually accurate but don't know how that jives with CDC unless new boarder regs yet to be announced are to be changed to allow access to the US by car.

Do you know if the cruise was leaving from the US, or elsewhere?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Do you know if the cruise was leaving from the US, or elsewhere?

Good point. I assumed it was a general policy but it could apply to specific cruises. Regent does have a number of Caribbean cruises which do not go to the US.

Anyway it does provide an option.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 3:11 PM, broberts said:

Canada started vaccination efforts several months later than the US and Europe. We now have the luxury of time to observe results elsewhere before making any decisions.

I know it's not a popular opinion on cc, but the fact is international leisure travel by Canadians is simply not important at this time. Nor should it be considered more important than reducing infection rates within the country in any future decisions.

I agree but...... my DH and I  have done due diligence in following science / gov't data and rules. Frustrating when others don't but I do recognize we all have the right to choose/decide, and I respect their rights.

I think we are at the point of "having to accept and learn to live with this virus", not stop our living, and for some of us, we don't have the luxury of time on our side. Provincial vaccine passports are ridiculous, but I can accept international travel passports. If I am allowed into a ball game because I have a passport, it does not mean I am not carrying the virus, therefore possibly infecting others. 

Until the govt stops all travellers from entering this country, then I read that to mean, I am also able to move about freely.

It's a tough decision all round, but one I think we should be making based on our own situation. ( at this point anyways, but as we have seen, the world can change on a dime)

• Like 1

In the long term, we all will have to adjust to the new realities of international travel. It may stay restrictive or inconvenient for many more months or even years. So What? We have to learn to deal with it. Covid and it's variants don't give a damn about our feeling about international travel. All it want to do is win!

I like to think about Covid like it was the Germans in WW2. The vaccines were our D-Day, it defeating it  but we are nowhere close to defeating the ba$tards yet, heck we are barely of the beaches and there are still hundreds of miles to go before we can defeat it/them. No one was planning a vacation cruise on the Rhine right after D-Day in June 1944, perhaps we should be as insightful.  

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 4

On 8/25/2021 at 8:46 AM, 3Shelaghs said:

I agree but...... my DH and I  have done due diligence in following science / gov't data and rules. Frustrating when others don't but I do recognize we all have the right to choose/decide, and I respect their rights.

I think we are at the point of "having to accept and learn to live with this virus", not stop our living, and for some of us, we don't have the luxury of time on our side. Provincial vaccine passports are ridiculous, but I can accept international travel passports. If I am allowed into a ball game because I have a passport, it does not mean I am not carrying the virus, therefore possibly infecting others. 

Until the govt stops all travellers from entering this country, then I read that to mean, I am also able to move about freely.

It's a tough decision all round, but one I think we should be making based on our own situation. ( at this point anyways, but as we have seen, the world can change on a dime)

I just have to respond to your comment that "provincial vaccine passports are ridiculous".  An all-inclusive provincial passport may seem bizarre, but showing some proof of full vaccination for events, large venues, schools, certain workplaces, retail settings, etc. would be invaluable for maintaining public health.  Many of us are celebrating areas in the country that have had done this.  It allows people to attend concerts, sporting events, classes, etc. as safely as possible.  I am a retired teacher and enjoy substitute teaching, but I won't be going back this Fall, again, because our province is not requiring proof of vaccination (plus not going back to masking, distancing, etc.).  Our CFL football team has already had outbreaks (as have fans) because of no proof of vaccination being required.

• Like 3

Also 100% behind vaccine cards/passports.  Here in B.C. our “passports” start in September.  Since the announcement our reservations for vaccines in the 20 to 40 year old group has increased substantially. Take away their “fun” and this group responds well.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, jojal said:

I just have to respond to your comment that "provincial vaccine passports are ridiculous".  An all-inclusive provincial passport may seem bizarre, but showing some proof of full vaccination for events, large venues, schools, certain workplaces, retail settings, etc. would be invaluable for maintaining public health.  Many of us are celebrating areas in the country that have had done this.  It allows people to attend concerts, sporting events, classes, etc. as safely as possible.  I am a retired teacher and enjoy substitute teaching, but I won't be going back this Fall, again, because our province is not requiring proof of vaccination (plus not going back to masking, distancing, etc.).  Our CFL football team has already had outbreaks (as have fans) because of no proof of vaccination being required.

I couldn't agree more. There are just so many benefits to having provincial passports that it is ridiculous to even consider continuing without them. The intransigence of the Ontario "leadership" to even consider implementing one has the public health units across the province now discussing the possibility of developing one on their own.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I couldn't agree more. There are just so many benefits to having provincial passports that it is ridiculous to even consider continuing without them. The intransigence of the Ontario "leadership" to even consider implementing one has the public health units across the province now discussing the possibility of developing one on their own.

i have a feeling that almost every or every health unit in Ontario will create their own vaccine passport/proof/whatever you want to call it.

I think it is very important for Eastern Ontario and Ottawa as we are so close to Quebec and we will need to show our vaccine status to go to Gatineau.

• Like 1

In an ideal Canada, even though healthcare is managed by the provinces, the Federal government would create a "passport" using data supplied by the provinces.  That way, every thing looks the same and operates the same.  What might happen when the US border guys at Vancouver airport have been looking at BC vaccine passports and then some one shows up with an Ontario one?  One agency should manage it.  MHO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Magicat said:

In an ideal Canada, even though healthcare is managed by the provinces, the Federal government would create a "passport" using data supplied by the provinces.  That way, every thing looks the same and operates the same.  What might happen when the US border guys at Vancouver airport have been looking at BC vaccine passports and then some one shows up with an Ontario one?  One agency should manage it.  MHO

I think our Ontario government does not want to spend the money on a provincial system but waiting to use  the federal system which should be our in October 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

I think our Ontario government does not want to spend the money on a provincial system but waiting to use  the federal system which should be our in October 

More than spending money, it makes sense to have a national policy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Robjame said:

More than spending money, it makes sense to have a national policy.

It does make sense. Unfortunately as long as the Ontario gov't opposes  the idea of a proof of vaccination system it will be difficult to develop a national version.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, broberts said:

It does make sense. Unfortunately as long as the Ontario gov't opposes  the idea of a proof of vaccination system it will be difficult to develop a national version.

I don't think that they are averse to a national version, because they won't be the government bringing it in.

• Like 1

While there are many people who disagree and have an issue with having a vaccine passport and needing to show proof of vaccine, that is their issue and their battle.   The reality is that there will be places (provinces/countries) that will require them whether you like it or not.   So if someone doesn’t want it, then don’t get it.  But their beliefs shouldn’t be able to stop creating a system for those who do want it.  Its kinda like the passport system now, if you don’t get one, you aren’t gonna be able to cross the border.   

• Like 2

On 8/23/2021 at 4:08 PM, Robjame said:

Unfortunately, Regent, as stated on their website, is NOT accepting mixed vaccines for cruises that leave a US port. They are accepting them for cruises that leave from a non-US port. Sigh. When will the US CDC pull its finger out and realize the benefits of mixing? This is beyond ludicrous.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bcwife76 said:

for cruises that leave a US port

If you are actively looking for a cruise, Regent does have cruises that don’t touch the US. Three in February, Canadian dollars at par, leaving from Barbados to Barbados, all inclusive including air, gratuities, drinks, specialty dining and excursions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I don't think that they are averse to a national version, because they won't be the government bringing it in.

Owning nearly 40% of the nation's vaccination data Ontario essentially controls the viability of any national system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Owning nearly 40% of the nation's vaccination data Ontario essentially controls the viability of any national system.

I don't think that Ontario is averse to hooking their data into a national system; I think that they don't want to be the government bringing in a provincial system.

49 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I don't think that Ontario is averse to hooking their data into a national system; I think that they don't want to be the government bringing in a provincial system.

Sound like the offer of money did the trick for the Ontario government 

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-considers-implementing-provincial-vaccine-passport-system-sources-say-1.5563835

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbalancer said:

I suspect all the regional health authorities and a few gta mayors asking for one also helped. On the news this morning it sounded like everyone was ganging up on the province.

• Like 1