The Daily for Wednesday August 25, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  DH and I rarely argue, so Kiss and Make Up Day passes by us.  I haven't had a banana split in ages, so it might be time to go out for one.  Hurray for National Park Service Founders - we have many wonderful memories of camping in Glacier National Park, with all it had to offer.

Well I didn't get my hair cut yesterday, but I did go last evening for my bi-annual panini press (mammogram).  The technician was really sweet as she coddled, squished, maneuvered and mashed my poor breasts in what I'm heretofore referring to as the George Foreman For Girls.  

I've had today's wine - I use it often when making Aperol Spritzes.  I like buying it in the little bottles, as 1 will do for a drink and a refill for each of us.

It certainly is a land of contrasts here on the "frozen tundra" - last night our temperatures went down to near freezing.  I didn't go out and cover things, as I didn't realize that frost was a possibility, but everything looks fine this morning.

I'm not sure about today's menu suggestion; I'd like to try it at a restaurant or someone else's house before I cooked an entire head of cauliflower like that.  For us though, last night our not-quite-adopted Chinese daughter arrived around 9PM after her dad had spend a few hours cooking the most amazing spicy noodle dish.  This time he left nearly all of the heat out of it, so DH was in 7th heaven with just a taste.  Tonight the spicy beef noodles will be what's on our dinner table.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Haha 7

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report. 

Glad to see Cruise Critic is back and co-operating.

I'll kiss my sweetie, but nothing to make up for.  A banana split sounds really good.  It's hot and humid here again today.  

Interesting quote.

Thanks for the meal suggestion and the recipe, but I think we will grill a steak, and have a salad.  Oh, and wine too.🙂

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  I hope Tyler is doing well.  Glad to hear about Tana.

Cheers for all the celebrations.

Happy Hump Day.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

33 minutes ago, dfish said:

Prime area.  My sister has a home not far from Charlevoix.   

Beautiful area of Michigan.  Last week my DIL was visiting girlfriends in Glen Arbor and at the same time her son (my GS) was at a music camp in Interlochen.  I'm sure the weather was beautiful.  Loved visiting the area when we were Michigan residents long ago.

• Like 15

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

No storms here but the air feels better today. 

Love Banana splits or anything to do with ice cream, which is my downfall. 

We were in Talketna back in 2001. We were on a Hal tour and heading to the ship. There  was some issue with the train, so they got us all off and we spent a wonderful few hours there. Very quaint town. We were loaded back up to Anchorage and then bussed from there to Seward. There were about 25 of us and the ship was waiting for us. I had never before or since had a such a fast embarkation! Did enjoy the visit, and went we returned to Alaska in 2014, we went in a different direction. Someday.

Off to water aerobics today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 24

We stopped in Talkeetna on our way from Anchorage to Fairbanks - a land DIY before a Princess cruise in May 2008. It was as quirky as depicted on TV in Northern Exposure.

"Tal" Taxi and Tours

1289031440_1TalTaxiTours.thumb.jpg.74070d5ab8eb8c1ac6ef209e92252bdd.jpg

The "I  Spy a Moose" game - list of items to find

528347376_9Moose-leftside.thumb.jpg.3ad16df169a34b87400c63ea24eef40b.jpg

Quilt Cabin store

1852649979_12Quiltcabin.thumb.jpg.36d0855524877d836b704d4595d23325.jpg

One building had a model of the mountain to walk around

1911099691_M5ViewfromSoutheast.thumb.jpg.456b1f723012e864a2695965bac36443.jpg

We could finally see the real thing!

1477760396_2Mt.McKinleyfromMainSt.thumb.jpg.30aa8c2e5adec4007f5a306b581e2fe1.jpg

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 34

38 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas.  

An interesting collection of days.  We don't need to kiss and make up.  DH loves banana splits.  Hats off to the NPS founders.

The Eli Wiesel qoute is very true.

Will pass on the meal and drink.  Have had the wine on a BHB and on shore, and enjoyed it.

We have been to Talkeetna several times. For those you have not been to this quaint little tourist town, it is on a spur road off the Parks Highway north of Anchorage and Wasilla.   

Here are a few pictures from our 2015 visit while on the Statendam and our 2018 visit while on the Zaandam.  As usual, we rented a car both days.

In 2015. we were there on a very rare, clear day, and could see Denali from the hotel outside of town.  In fact, you could see the entire mountain range.  Ironically, our original plan was to take friends to Seward or Whitter, but tht was the day President Obama was in Anchorage tp officially remane Mt. McKinley as Denali.  Because of road closures in town, we decided to head north instead.  And this was our reward.

In 2018, it was a more typical day -- cloudy and light rain.  Gotta love Alaska weather!

Lenda

Thanks for posting those great photos.  Love the mountain range ones especially.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

We stopped in Talkeetna on our way from Anchorage to Fairbanks - a land DIY before a Princess cruise in May 2008. It was as quirky as depicted on TV in Northern Exposure.

"Tal" Taxi and Tours

1289031440_1TalTaxiTours.thumb.jpg.74070d5ab8eb8c1ac6ef209e92252bdd.jpg

The "I  Spy a Moose" game - list of items to find

528347376_9Moose-leftside.thumb.jpg.3ad16df169a34b87400c63ea24eef40b.jpg

Quilt Cabin store

1852649979_12Quiltcabin.thumb.jpg.36d0855524877d836b704d4595d23325.jpg

One building had a model of the mountain to walk around

1911099691_M5ViewfromSoutheast.thumb.jpg.456b1f723012e864a2695965bac36443.jpg

We could finally see the real thing!

1477760396_2Mt.McKinleyfromMainSt.thumb.jpg.30aa8c2e5adec4007f5a306b581e2fe1.jpg

Love the photos of this quaint town!

• Like 10

Good morning everyone. I’ll celebrate all the days and love today’s quote.

Still no word on a replacement for Sam’s aide. Not sure what we’ll do if they don’t find someone. We have an option of staying here alone and having our daughter’s former baby sitter come during the day to help. Not the greatest option since he had covid in March and his lungs are bad. He can’t run and gets winded when he walks. The second option is move Sam to my daughter, have the babysitter bring him to OT twice a week and I’ll bring him back to Lori.

This week, Sam sees the podiatrist, urologist, neurologist and a nurso Opthomologist. Busy week for doctors.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

@smitty34877sending good thoughts to Tana today.  I'm so glad she did ask for help because your family has been so good to her and I'm sure that is what has gotten her this far.

By the way, yesterday I spoke to neighbor Brenda.  She's had a very tough time physically and mentally getting over this virus, plus losing her Dad and brother.  She said yesterday was the first decent day she'd had in weeks.  Paul has been very good in helping her get her strength back, doing everything around the house, etc.  Their lives are so different now without Copeland - it will take a long time to adjust.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

A good quote and food and drink of the day 

Kiss and make up is always good.

Banana split is nice.

Today's port is lovely.

A nice bottle of sarkling Prosecco is what we had last night with our meal's.

Connection has been difficult the last couple of days so I hope and pray everyone is well.

Graham.

IMG_20210824_182258.jpg

IMG_20210824_185557.jpg

IMG_20210824_185535.jpg

IMG_20210824_191820.jpg

IMG_20210824_195902.jpg

IMG_20210824_195910.jpg

• Like 29

Good morning all!

I guess I missed the messy morning Daily issue. Glad to be here, but not much time as Fritz has a vet appointment this morning.

DH and I don’t fight (maybe once in a blue moon) so we don’t have to kiss and make up. I am a super fan of National Parks, celebrate them with visits whenever I can. I am an ice cream lover, but not such a big fan of banana splits. 

Today’s  entree will be passed on to my vegetarian daughters. The drink 😱. The wine worries me just a little with that “hint of sweetness”, but with the price, may be worth a try.

Busy day today capped with a dinner with The Optimists at a wonderful Italian restaurant. They have invited me to talk about Feed My People, one of our largest area food pantries, where I have been a board member for over ten years. I am going to talk about our upcoming building project. Our building was built in the early 60’s (we are second owners) and it is in desperate need of upgrading. Our bathrooms are not handicapped accessible (frankly they are kind of dark & spooky looking, stuck in the back corner of what was originally a grocery store.) Looking forward to making the food pantry a more inviting place for our clients.

Time to head off. Keeping our care list in my prayers today 🙏. And 🍷 for the celebrations.

St Louis Sal

• Like 26

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Hump Day smile 🙂 

Great collection of days.  Kissing and making up is always fun especially if there’s no making up to do 😉. I’m sure here are lots of banana split fans out there.

8C466153-DC26-4B49-856D-B8CA49CBB424.jpeg.9399dd1c2dc9ba695cc4ad3f68cc636f.jpeg

Love that quote by Wiesel.  So true.

@HeartgroveI know exactly what you mean by your toes judging your dog’s weight 😉 

@mamaofami I’m praying you get some positive news on the aide soon 🙏🏻 I must say I admire all the appointments you are doing.  Wow!

@smitty34877Tana is indeed an admirable young woman as are both you and your DD helping her ❤️ 

Glad CC is back up and working.  It’s bad start to the day when I can’t read the Daily with my coffee.  At least I don’t have to drink decaf. 

9A132F6C-9958-41E9-81A4-45AF23335057.jpeg.9934a20c2ab2db3bd2d8e609c92e9803.jpeg

It’s another humid scorcher today. I like heat but humidity makes doing any kind of work very difficult. 😔  

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Hump Day, everyone!!!!!

08EB64D3-57D3-41CD-A1C5-3AFBA3F3195F.jpeg.088ec59135010966f81f58edc4568f41.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!

Glad to know it was not my computer/Xfinity this morning -- I was freaking out!!  Have to have my morning dose of The Daily 😃.  Thanks to everyone here.

I don't believe it has been mentioned yet, but Talkeetna is the town that Cicely, AK, was patterned after in the TV show Northern Exposure.  The Fairview Inn was the inspiration for The Brick in the show.  Edit:  Oops, I messed up, @Cruise Suzy did already mention it!! My bad. 😱

We were in Talkeetna June, 2002, on a post-cruise Celebrity tour.  (This was before we had a digital camera, so no pictures.)  We stayed at the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge.  We walked into town the next morning for breakfast but first had to stop at the Fairview Inn (see @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda's photos on page 1) for one of their "famous" Bloody Mary's.  Then we walked down the street to the Talkeetna Roadhouse for breakfast.  This place has been featured on the Food Channel many times.  Quite and interesting place in a very quirky village.  

After an enormous breakfast, we walked back by the Fairview and had to stop in for another Bloody Mary.  There was one guy still there from our first visit and he had been (and still was) drinking straight Wild Turkey.  The bartender served him the last of a bottle and announced that there now would be a moment of silence for the dead Wild Turkey.  Often wondered if that guy ever made it to the job he was supposed to have been at early in the morning 🤪.

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@StLouisCruisers,thank you for your kind thoughts.I can relate to your neighbor Brenda's situation  at this time as it is difficult  to manage when physically  challenged. We are thinking of that family as well.

@kazu,thank you as well.It is appreciated. I laughed at the decaf coffee meme today! I can always count on you!

• Like 17

41 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

A good quote and food and drink of the day 

Kiss and make up is always good.

Banana split is nice.

Today's port is lovely.

A nice bottle of sarkling Prosecco is what we had last night with our meal's.

Connection has been difficult the last couple of days so I hope and pray everyone is well.

Graham.

IMG_20210824_182258.jpg

IMG_20210824_185557.jpg

IMG_20210824_185535.jpg

IMG_20210824_191820.jpg

IMG_20210824_195902.jpg

IMG_20210824_195910.jpg

More fine dining for @grapau27.  You both look very nice all dressed up like that.  Thanks for showing us your latest dining adventure.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning!  I was late this morning too so it's all good @richwmn.😁  Instead of my usual before sunrise treadmill routine, DH wanted to walk outside so we started out later.  The humidity was only 97%!!  Sheesh! 

Later today I intend to text Tyler and check in on him.  I imagine I would be sleeping a lot if I were him.  Thank you @rafinmdfor including him on the Celebration list and to all who prayed and wished him well.  Prayers today to all who are in need of them, and I'm sure many are unfortunately.  I think some of our sleeplessness problems are worries about the horrors in our news lately.  So much stress for all!

I like today's days to honor.  Kiss and Make up sounds like a good idea.  Banana Split Day reminds me of my last month of pregnancy with my first baby.  I only gained 20 pounds which the doctor seemed fine with, but my twin would take me to Dairy Queen at least weekly for a banana split trying to fatten me up.  I do love my ice cream!  National Park Service Founders Day reminds me of my grandfather who used to work for the Park Service as a fire spotter in a tower in the hills of southeast Missouri.

I haven't been to Talkeetna, Alaska before but I'm sure I'd enjoy it.  Looking forward to any pictures.  Did we even have a visitor to our Indonesian port yesterday?  I can't remember any.  Let's hope we do better today!

I would die in 97% humidity now, and I grew up in Illinois and lived in Georgia, so I'm no stranger to it.  Can't tolerate heat since all my neuro issues started.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

More fine dining for @grapau27.  You both look very nice all dressed up like that.  Thanks for showing us your latest dining adventure.

Thank you for your nice words Sandi.

This is all part of our 40th wedding anniversary celebrations.

Graham.

• Like 16

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

I would die in 97% humidity now, and I grew up in Illinois and lived in Georgia, so I'm no stranger to it.  Can't tolerate heat since all my neuro issues started.

Totally understand that.  Luckily the humidity dips lower as the morning goes on but that doesn't mean it will be comfortable.  Right now (4 hours later) the humidity is 81%.  Still heading downward though.

I grew up in St. Louis and believe it or not the summer weather is usually hotter and more humid there than it is here in north central Georgia.  Something about that Mississippi valley tends to bring in moisture especially from the Gulf of Mexico.  🥵

• Like 14

Good morning.

I've been away from the daily, this cruise prep is taking every waking moment, but only 6 more days of work to go and I'm officially on vacation!  I meet with the pet sitter on Friday to hand over the key and review instructions.  Seems like I will just get it typed up and remember something else.  Not going to pack until after the covid test, but I am getting everything together. 

I'm still fighting my ear issue and the vertigo; can't wait until I'm on the ship, the movement will be normal to me.  I'm putting off the doctor until after the trip because I'm not in pain and I don't want to be exposed to covid. 

On kiss and make up day: I don't get to that point either because I never go to bed angry, even if it means staying up til the wee hours to talk it out.

Thanks to all the listers.  Thoughts and prayers to all.  

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Totally understand that.  Luckily the humidity dips lower as the morning goes on but that doesn't mean it will be comfortable.  Right now (4 hours later) the humidity is 81%.  Still heading downward though.

I grew up in St. Louis and believe it or not the summer weather is usually hotter and more humid there than it is here in north central Georgia.  Something about that Mississippi valley tends to bring in moisture especially from the Gulf of Mexico.  🥵

In the pacific northwest it's 100% humidity all winter, but it's a rare event in the summer when it drops down to about 25%; still moist by desert standards but nothing like what you all get.

Well, enough blabbing, I better get going on my day, but wanted to pop in and say hey when I can.

• Like 21

Good morning all my Dailyite family. Thanks Rich and all for your posts. Dinner sounds good. The drink sounds not so good. I’ll stick with wine. Today I don’t have to go anywhere. I may get a kayaking hour or two in this afternoon.  Prayers and love for all. 

• Like 22

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  to  all. It  was  somewhat  alarming  not  to  be  able  to see  the  Daily  with  my  first  cup  of  coffee  but  all  is  well.  I  will  salute  all  of  the  days and  appreciate  the  quote  by  Elie  Wiesel. The  recipe  looks  interesting  but  I  will  save  it  for  another  day.

The  pictures  of  the  port  are  interesting. It  looks  like  a  great place  to  visit.

DD  and  I  split  up  our "visiting  nurse" duties for  today. She  has  the  morning  and  I  have  the  afternoon  to  early  evening. DD  still  works  from  home  as  her  organization  is  reluctant  to  open  the  office in  NYC with  the  covid  numbers  as  they  are. DSIL  is  also  still  working  from  home for  the  same  reason. Amongst  the  three of  us,  I  think  we  will  make  an  efficient  team. DH  will  guard  the  house  with  our  lonely  dog Fred.

Our Tana  is  a  strong  and  determined  woman  and  has  demonstrated  incredible spirit  throughout  this long  ordeal. We  are  happy  that  she  lets  us  help  as  much  as  she  has. Yesterday she  told  me  that  accepting  help  was  the  hardest part  of  dealing  with  this  illness. I  can  only  imagine.

Thanks  once  again  to  all  of  you  who  cheer  us  on . It  helps  a  lot  to  keep   our  own  spirits  up in a  trying  time.

Terry

Bless you, Terry.   Tana is so fortunate to have you,  your daughter and son in law.   I'll raise a glass in a toast to you anytime!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1