Covid test, Is everyone paying?

I agree with you. It’s hard to find a place to be tested in Florida and I worry if the result will be accepted as being from an accredited lab. I have an appt at Walgreens for a rapid test. I called them to see if I could come in a day earlier. They said no because they only have a certain number of tests. I confirmed I am scheduled for the rapid antigen test. It’s my understanding Walgreens is acceptable. I had planned to go to a local walk in clinic. They said they could do the test but they aren’t an accredited lab. So I had to scramble to find another place. Quest didn’t have any openings

7 hours ago, islandwannabee said:

So my cruise is on Sunday. Test to take place today. 2 Weeks ago made appt at cvs for rapid test, ok good. Went for test this am, oh they didn't have the rapid test only the regular and my results will be back in 1-4 days. So now I am scrambling to find a place with appts for the rapid tests and looks as though they cost anywhere from 129-200 per person if I can find one with appts.  So do I sit here and hope my test results come in time, or find a walk In clinic and pay. 

Been on computer now for 2 hours trying to find some info on the rapid testing, maybe I' m just getting to old to figure this out, yesterday though I was all set now just don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated, I live in Florida.

Solvhealth.com

refers to places all over the U.S.

Check https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/testing-sites/

When you use the lookup tool, it will show the tests sites in your area and it lists the types of test they have.

If you happen to live in Hillsborough county, they've reopened the free testing sites for residents. You present your insurance card and they cover it in full. If you don't have insurance you can still get tested for free.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, islandwannabee said:

So my cruise is on Sunday. Test to take place today. 2 Weeks ago made appt at cvs for rapid test, ok good. Went for test this am, oh they didn't have the rapid test only the regular and my results will be back in 1-4 days. So now I am scrambling to find a place with appts for the rapid tests and looks as though they cost anywhere from 129-200 per person if I can find one with appts.  So do I sit here and hope my test results come in time, or find a walk In clinic and pay. 

Been on computer now for 2 hours trying to find some info on the rapid testing, maybe I' m just getting to old to figure this out, yesterday though I was all set now just don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated, I live in Florida.

Prior to our cruise a week ago on the Odyssey, I was reading how all the passengers in the US were getting free COVID tests at pharmacies in the US, either through their insurance or paid for by the government.  Up here in Canada, that was never an option.  Even with multiple insurance plans, tests are not covered for us.  The ones conducted by our government blank our much of the personal data on the results, so they are not good enough to use for travel purposes.  Canadians must pay for their COVID tests for travel purposes.  That said, currently the required rapid tests for travel purposes are easy to come by up here in Canada and you can get one for $40-$60 Canadian (about $30-$45 US) and get the results back in a couple of hours.

what are you supposed to do if you could not get a result prior to flying in the day before from overseas but have had   2 cov ( astro zenica ) vaccination shots???  Surely Royal should be doing  the rapid testing at check in.

1 hour ago, allwyn said:

what are you supposed to do if you could not get a result prior to flying in the day before from overseas but have had   2 cov ( astro zenica ) vaccination shots???  Surely Royal should be doing  the rapid testing at check in.

Don’t count on it. ☹️

https://www.fox13now.com/news/coronavirus/local-coronavirus-news/utah-couple-denied-cruise-ship-boarding-despite-negative-covid-19-tests-and-vaccination

7 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

RCCL specifically says no notes from doctors. Results have to come from an accredited lab

My interpretation of the "note from your doctor" comment was to take the note to the urgent care center to get them to process the test, not for the note from the doctor to state that you tested negative.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, allwyn said:

They dont really care, and if you show up with no results, they will treat you like lepers and lead you out of the place according to another CC member.  They SHOULD be and they are but only for kids I think.  Dont rely on getting tested at the port by RC 🙂  

Edited by ryano

8 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Prior to our cruise a week ago on the Odyssey, I was reading how all the passengers in the US were getting free COVID tests at pharmacies in the US, either through their insurance or paid for by the government.  Up here in Canada, that was never an option.  Even with multiple insurance plans, tests are not covered for us.  The ones conducted by our government blank our much of the personal data on the results, so they are not good enough to use for travel purposes.  Canadians must pay for their COVID tests for travel purposes.  That said, currently the required rapid tests for travel purposes are easy to come by up here in Canada and you can get one for $40-$60 Canadian (about $30-$45 US) and get the results back in a couple of hours.

The way things usually work in the US is that insurance companies strike deals with pharmacies/doctors/hospitals where they say we will pay X amount for this product. For example, they may say that a covid test is worth $30 so that is all they will pay for it. Some people have high deductible plans so they will end up paying the $30 anyway, but they will at least get the insurance contracted rate for it. However, the pharmacies/doctors/hospitals set their prices for non-insured procedures/customers at a significantly higher rate. So, for an uninsured person or someone whose insurance say they won't covid it; the price is $200. 

So it goes both ways, The non-insured prices are sky high here. But alot of things end up being significantly cheaper to free when insurance will cover them. So, for example, I had an outpatient surgery a few years ago. The first bill I got from the surgery center said that my 4 hours there cost $10,000. But once it went through insurance the cost was lowered $2,500 (the contracted rate) and then my insurance paid 80% so it only cost me $500.

• Like 1

I feel you.  Walgreens cancelled my rapid test a few hours before my appointment.  I was able to find a free State sponsored testing site that got me the results in less than 24 hours.  Check your state and county health departments.  Good luck!!!

• Like 1

If you are in Florida go to one of these sites and register for the Antigen. The CDR locations are first come first serve with a barcode and the Nomi Health locations are by appointment. You will get results back for an Antigen usually in 30 - 60 minutes and a PCR in 1-2 days from my experience. The tests are free.

CDR     https://www.patientportalfl.com/s/?language=en_US

Nomi   https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/26/onsite

If you are in FL and computer literate enough to post on CC you should be able to get tested at one of these sites.

I have used CDR for both Adventure cruises and the MSC in the last 2 months. I used Nomi for Freedom last week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, allwyn said:

Order the online proctored self tests and test yourself, you will have the results in 15 minutes

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, xqueenfrostine said:

Does anyone know how long those self-proctored tests are good for?  I didn’t see any info on the eMed site.  My cruise isn’t until the end of October but I’m wondering if it would be better to buy early just in case there are stocking issues later.  

I heard they are good until the middle of January. It is unfortunate because I have an October and February cruise booked so I guess I’ll need to buy them again. I just ordered some for my October cruise. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, allwyn said:

They won't test you at the pier...unless you're unvaccinated, then you get special treatment and have no risk of your expensive vacation being ruined with no reimbursement. I've been getting several emails from RCL asking me to book my testing appointment at the pier, if I'm unvaccinated. But if I'm vaccinated, I can't use the testing facility already there, no matter what excuse, what emergency, or how much I'm willing to pay. But if I sail NCL, I'll wait in line at a hotel by the pier to get a free test, and it will take a while, but I won't have to scramble or stress--RCL did the same for Adventure in the Bahamas. That's what Cruise with Confidence means to me, or Princess offering a FCC, rebooking, or refund (if you bought their travel insurance) if test results aren't back in time. I'm waiting for a callback from my TA to cancel my Ovation sailing next Friday, because I just don't want the anxiety and risk of missing my cruise and it's deeply offensive to me that the unvaccinated get special testing privileges that the vaccinated don't. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xqueenfrostine said:

Does anyone know how long those self-proctored tests are good for?  I didn’t see any info on the eMed site.  My cruise isn’t until the end of October but I’m wondering if it would be better to buy early just in case there are stocking issues later.  

The ones I received this week are good until January 3, 2022.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, islandwannabee said:

I'm just North of Tampa, found a place in outlet mall, paid my 129.99 via credit card to get appt tomorrow, hope I didn't just get scammed. Called several walk in clinics prices vary, but said all booked up. cvs and Walgreens don't have appts for rapid test until next week. 

If you care to travel to North Sarasota, you can go here: COVID-19 Testing | Sarasota County, FL (scgov.net)   It is the antigen test that is also accepted by RCI. Get there as early as you can. It is open Saturday. We got our results in less than 30 minutes. We were in line before 8.  You stay in your car.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:07 PM, islandwannabee said:

We both took ours at CVS yesterday, for the regular PCR test, and had our results back late this morning.

Should be fine, they are pretty quick.

33 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

We both took ours at CVS yesterday, for the regular PCR test, and had our results back late this morning.

Should be fine, they are pretty quick.

No results yet. Here's the quicker, went to clinic paid 300.00 for  test 1-2 hours they said, it's now been 6 hours and when I call, they say they can't find them, they need some time. Like how long,, oh they do't know. I said can I come back and redo, sure they say, but have to charge another 300. 

At this point I think someone is trying to tell me not to go, so I'm done, will call royal tomorrow and tell them none of my test results came back. I honestly feel like blood pressure is through the roof, cant eat, sleep etc, all from worrying about these test results that never come. 

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

They won't test you at the pier...unless you're unvaccinated, then you get special treatment and have no risk of your expensive vacation being ruined with no reimbursement. I've been getting several emails from RCL asking me to book my testing appointment at the pier, if I'm unvaccinated. But if I'm vaccinated, I can't use the testing facility already there, no matter what excuse, what emergency, or how much I'm willing to pay. But if I sail NCL, I'll wait in line at a hotel by the pier to get a free test, and it will take a while, but I won't have to scramble or stress--RCL did the same for Adventure in the Bahamas. That's what Cruise with Confidence means to me, or Princess offering a FCC, rebooking, or refund (if you bought their travel insurance) if test results aren't back in time. I'm waiting for a callback from my TA to cancel my Ovation sailing next Friday, because I just don't want the anxiety and risk of missing my cruise and it's deeply offensive to me that the unvaccinated get special testing privileges that the vaccinated don't. 

It does feel like vaxxed guests are being punished but the unvaccinated still have to get a test done within 3 days of the cruise and bring their results along with being tested again at the port. 

23 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

but get a quick note from your doctor too.  they sometimes ask for that

That was my concern.  I keep calling the emergency clinics who told me that they will be taking walk ins without appointments.  So I keep calling them to be sure and to ascertain the turn around time for PCR test.  No answer. 

Got panicky and called my Gastroenterologist to see if he will give me a script (my primary said they don't issue scripts for those tests) to take the test at the local hospital.  Was glad that the receptionist said yes and will fax the script to hospital  Now just waiting for hospital staff to confirm appointment for Thursday for Sunday sailing.  

I'll be so relieved when on Oasis.

PS:  Any reason why RCL has the 3 day time frame.  When I got my cataracts operation during the height of the pandemic, they allowed 5-6 days and then quarantine.

• Like 1