P&O Australia will require all passengers to be fully vaccinated

From P&O Australia Facebook page:

Hi everyone, P&O Cruises Australia’s President Sture Myrmell has an update on our re-start plans and our approach to onboard vaccination:
As the national vaccination rollout gathers pace offering the prospect of greater freedom, I know many guests want to know the approach P&O plans to take.
We also know there is strong sentiment that many would prefer that guests and crew were fully vaccinated when they cruise with us.
With this sentiment and other factors in mind, when our ships return to service, our intention is to re-start with voyages for guests and crew who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
Our onboard vaccination approach confirms our absolute commitment to the health and well-being of guests and crew, based on the highest public health standards.
The approach also serves to align the restart of cruising with the Australian Government’s moves to reduce travel and other restrictions once sufficient numbers of eligible Australians have been fully vaccinated.
And, very importantly, it enables our guests to join us in doing everything we can to protect the communities and destinations that welcome our ships so enthusiastically.
As the pathway to P&O’s re-start becomes clearer, I will update you with further information.
I feel strongly that today’s announcement is in keeping with P&O’s 90-year heritage of leadership in sailing from Australia as the nation’s own cruise line.
As always, I thank you for your support.
Sture

• Like 2

Glad to hear it, but I wonder about children under 12 will they be included in this "all passengers" as they can't as yet get vaccinated and P&O during the school holidays tend to have a number of children aboard.

Most likely by the time cruising actually starts in the region children under 12 will be allowed to be vaccinated! Therefore not a problem for the family vacation.

I read in a couple of threads on the US/UK forums that children under 12 were allowed onboard the ship but they (and their parents) aren't allowed to join in shore excursions. Can't remember what restrictions they have onboard. P&O AU might adopt something similar.

This is what P&O have said so far when asked.  But a large number of P&O passengers are children during holidays so....... First we need the ships to come before worrying about what hoops we will have to jump through.

P&O Cruises Australia

Hi , we will be guided by government policies on the eligibility for vaccination. Where vaccination is officially recommended for children in certain age groups, they too would need to be fully vaccinated to sail. Thanks
  • Like 2

Reading through the transition plan I feel even less confident now of our November cruise to New Zealand going ahead next year.

Point one in phrase A - achieve genuine engagement between Industry and government on plans for resumption. 

Does anyone know if "genuine engagement" has even started as yet?

5 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Reading through the transition plan I feel even less confident now of our November cruise to New Zealand going ahead next year.

Point one in phrase A - achieve genuine engagement between Industry and government on plans for resumption. 

Does anyone know if "genuine engagement" has even started as yet?

I think it has. There were two indicators a month or so ago that pointed in that direction. One was RCI cancelling the remainder of the 21/22 itineraries and releasing new Australia-only itineraries from 20 December onwards. The other was Princess changing all South Pacific itineraries or port stops to Australia only. Princess have not changed NZ itineraries yet though. I don't think either of these companies would have released/changed itineraries if there was no clear engagement between the cruise industry and the government regarding a restricted restart in December, they would have just left the original itineraries in place and cancelled them when it was clear there would be no restart.

However the current Delta outbreaks in NSW and Victoria may affect the chances of a restart, but, on the other hand, these outbreaks have increased the vaccination rates especially in NSW.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rassa said:

P&O has 3 reasonable ships now being the old Princess Golden, Star and Dawn.   Wonder if they will be back first (including Carnival) in the middle of 2022 because they don't do northern hemisphere cruising.

I've put $1 deposit down on an August cruise in that hope.

I don't know why people have a set against P&O. I've tried several cruise lines and the only major fault P&O had compared to the others was the quality of the food in the buffet. Which you can mostly get around by dining in the MDR,  Dragon Lady or Angelos.

Now that they have the former Star Princess and Golden Princess I reckon they are worth a go.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I've put $1 deposit down on an August cruise in that hope.

I don't know why people have a set against P&O. I've tried several cruise lines and the only major fault P&O had compared to the others was the quality of the food in the buffet. Which you can mostly get around by dining in the MDR,  Dragon Lady or Angelos.

Now that they have the former Star Princess and Golden Princess I reckon they are worth a go.

Our first two cruises were on P&O  - first from Brisbane on the Pacific Dawn and the second from Sydney on the Pacific Pearl. We thoroughly enjoyed them. The only downer for us was perhaps the number of children onboard -  one in school holidays, the other not. We found the food in the dining rooms to be fine, not so much the buffet but still ok. We would cruise again on P&O.

Our only Royal Caribbean cruise was on Voyager and it was ok, but doubt we would cruise on RC again. 

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Our first two cruises were on P&O  - first from Brisbane on the Pacific Dawn and the second from Sydney on the Pacific Pearl. We thoroughly enjoyed them. The only downer for us was perhaps the number of children onboard -  one in school holidays, the other not. We found the food in the dining rooms to be fine, not so much the buffet but still ok. We would cruise again on P&O.

Our only Royal Caribbean cruise was on Voyager and it was ok, but doubt we would cruise on RC again. 

The Pacific Sun turned me off for 17 years but am happy to go back to P&O with the better ships.  

However, I also like RCCL and I love the Voyager class ships as well as Radiance class ships.   Had a cancellation on Ovation and happy to try their newer ships.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rassa said:

The Pacific Sun turned me off for 17 years but am happy to go back to P&O with the better ships.  

However, I also like RCCL and I love the Voyager class ships as well as Radiance class ships.   Had a cancellation on Ovation and happy to try their newer ships.

I would certainly try the new P&O ships,they look quite nice.

• Like 1

If they are the first ships cruising out of Australian ports I'll gladly book on one.

Any cruise ship leaving Sydney looks good to me at the moment.

Just waiting for the next cruise ban extention announcement to see if they will give us any hint as to when cruising will restart. I know I'm being too hopeful.

Edited by sewgood
forgot something

6 minutes ago, sewgood said:

If they are the first ships cruising out of Australian ports I'll gladly book on one.

Any cruise ship leaving Sydney looks good to me at the moment.

Just waiting for the next cruise ban extention announcement to see if they will give us any hint as to when cruising will restart. I know I'm being too hopeful.

17th of September is when the current ban runs out.

So a couple of weeks?

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So a couple of weeks?

But if the ban is extended it will only be to 17th December. Most of the cruise lines who haven't cancelled all their 21/22 itineraries have already cancelled those up to the 19th December so the announcement won't make any difference.

However since the final payment dates for the first Princess cruises after 19th December are in early October, if cruising isn't going to restart I expect Princess will announce cancellation late September. If it is going to restart but with Australia-only itineraries then Princess will announce changes to the current NZ itineraries. So we'll know either way. I've got a 20th December Royal Princess cruise booked, currently with an NZ itinerary but I don't think NZ will be accepting cruise ships by then. I'd be happy if it went anywhere as long as it's warm - round in circles off the Queensland coast would be fine.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So a couple of weeks?

I think your right, we should hear by the 17th.

Last time it was later in the month than before. Only a few days before the 17th.

I won't believe it when they finally say cruising will be able to restart. Just hoping that someday they will give a hint of when to expect it.

I really don't expect any decision (therefore a hint to be leaked)  to be made until we hit the 80% target. they have too many other things to worry about until then.

2 minutes ago, sewgood said:

I think your right, we should hear by the 17th.

Last time it was later in the month than before. Only a few days before the 17th.

I won't believe it when they finally say cruising will be able to restart. Just hoping that someday they will give a hint of when to expect it.

I really don't expect any decision (therefore a hint to be leaked)  to be made until we hit the 80% target. they have too many other things to worry about until then.

I was reading a article this morning by Gavin smith of RC Australia.

He said ,he is confident his company should be getting a permit for one ship to start in December .That was ovation.

The article said maybe another ship may get a permit, probably P&O

• Like 3

2 hours ago, portcbob said:

Can't see any Aussie cruising including P&O to commence prior to at least Mid Year of 2022 and even by then I believe it will be highly unlikely.

The government will be giving incentives and advertising for people to get vaccinated.
The image of the vaccinated elite boarding a cruise ship or a international flight would be a powerful message.

I think it’s possible to have a couple of ships doing trials in the new year.

Qantas was talking about flights to Singapore,Japan and the US with home quarantine on returning.

23 hours ago, Rassa said:

Dido to that, I have cruise on 4 P&O ships and 2-3 times on each in my early days of cruising (Sun/Dawn/Jewel/Aria) and this simply was because of the pricing and ease of local ports. P&O seem to be the budget brand and come across that way whilst sailing with them. 

We have been on many of the RCL ships also (Allure, Voyager, Explorer, Radiance, Legend, Rhapsody) and also a couple of these multiple times. RCL seems to be up another level in my opinion and will mostly cruise with them in future. 

To add,

Lets all just get the JAB!!!!

Edited by SuitesRbest
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Watching some current cruise reviews on PO cruises from Southampton.

Looked very nice.

Double vaccinated here in Australia but zero chance of being able to leave the country or cruise, extremely frustrating.

Report today on ABC Moderna will not be offered to people over 60.

Wonder if cruises will require evidence of  booster vaccinations?

By the time, if ever we can leave and cruise, boosters will be required, and what will be available for people over 60? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

Watching some current cruise reviews on PO cruises from Southampton.

Looked very nice.

Double vaccinated here in Australia but zero chance of being able to leave the country or cruise, extremely frustrating.

Report today on ABC Moderna will not be offered to people over 60.

Wonder if cruises will require evidence of  booster vaccinations?

By the time, if ever we can leave and cruise, boosters will be required, and what will be available for people over 60? 

Do you not have a very sick relo in UK you can apply for an exemption to visit? Then sneak in the P&O UK cruise whilst there. Way to go.  I have a half sister and 4 Aunts over there in England's green and pleasant land, all old and not well, but the airfares are too steep.