LIVE - 4cats4me’s last-minute cruise on the Majestic Princess, August 29, 2021

4cats4me

I was hoping we would see the northern lights when we sailed last night but unfortunately it was too cloudy. The aurora forecast last night was high with an index of 6. If it had been a clear night I’m sure we would have seen them. I thought Princess did a good thing in announcing they would give you a wake up call during the night if the you could see the northern lights. I thought this was a great offering so that guests didn’t need to stay up between midnight and 3 am to watch the sky. In the show last night the cruise director said you could ask for a wake up call by using crew chat, going to the guest services desk or calling guest services. This was a surprise to me that you could get a wake up call specifically to see the northern lights if they appeared. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2021 at 8:35 AM, Musky Ike said:

Quick question that may have been asked. wondering with the reduced occupancy did anyone on this voyage ask at guest services to see if a cabin upgrade was available upon boarding.

Yes, we asked on day #2 and we were successful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

I’m loving the Hollywood Pool and Hollywood Conservatory. I wish all ships had them as I like this area much better than the Sanctuary on other ships.

The pool area in the photo is the Retreat Pool on other Royal Class ships, albeit slightly larger on Majestic.  Retreat Pools are uncovered.  The Conservatory area is where Sanctuary is on other ships.  I didn't find the Conservatory area to be of much use the way it was setup when were on Majestic in early 2019. 

I think a lot of folks would appreciate a covered pool area (for me it can get quite strong with chlorine smell).  I think the best idea is for the cruise line to spend the extra $$$ to have a retractable roof and can adjust depending on the weather.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

I’m loving the Hollywood Pool and Hollywood Conservatory. I wish all ships had them as I like this area much better than the Sanctuary on other ships.0B386160-8637-42F1-B097-62C50FA0EB38.thumb.jpeg.36cca019cfc1a783ac6ad0207bb70320.jpeg

I agree. My wife and I spent a lot of time in there on at sea days. It is a great place to spend time when it was quite cool outside on our Alaska cruise a couple of weeks ago. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I think the best idea is for the cruise line to spend the extra $$$ to have a retractable roof and can adjust depending on the weather.

I agree! I’ve enjoyed sailing on the ships that have the retractable roofs.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I've never seen one retracted and those cruises were mostly in the Caribbean.

When we went on the Coral through the Panama Canal they had the roof open part of the time. They closed it when it got to hot.

• Like 1

We really enjoyed the musher talk on the day we were in Skagway. This is Shadow, a beautiful dog who is very friendly. I’d recommend going to this event and then stay for the event afterwards which is a presentation by Steve Hight. He tells about the history of Alaska through spoken word and song. We thought we’d just stay for a few minutes but Steve was so entertaining that we stayed for the entire thing.E43CCF39-02DC-4169-870F-FE83311F54AD.thumb.jpeg.c2e0faa6df117a37b8522ccc5eadf98c.jpegC4630FA0-24B7-48A6-B532-D71F38A3F632.thumb.jpeg.2cd77a0dd0e6637305b1961da3dcaf1e.jpegB2ABA32D-E4BF-4578-A2D8-FE97CF1FA729.thumb.jpeg.14a2c6d14276c2f74d6d654ecf1a3886.jpeg

Edited by KLM3164
  • Like 12

17 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

I haven’t seen one child on this week’s cruise.

About five years ago I did the Alaska 10-day out of SF on the Grand.  It was crawling with kids and felt like a Disney crusie.  I was wondering how things were on this cruise with no vaccine for under12 kids.  

1 hour ago, KLM3164 said:

We are docked in Ketchikan. Easier to upload photos now that we are off the ships Wi-Fi.51AD3C52-2AA6-448B-9A2D-CFDA9CA17F04.thumb.jpeg.a83d895d20e3a454a41301097364b60c.jpeg6A0E9DE9-60A0-4394-AF72-2E7E1A9E3A7D.thumb.jpeg.7b5bffea4e3f3e5cc1bf52dd8a08827b.jpeg76D2D943-FC52-42E6-BFF0-74495CAD76B5.thumb.jpeg.f80e18acf6b3f3503ba4886b0fdc8f8c.jpeg

So happy but envious that you got to dock downtown.  I couldn't understand why in August they had us at the far northern dock on the other side of the tunnel!! 

The posting mystery solved  
Realize that I probably needed to clear the cookies and that resolved my issue. 
we are in Ketchikan, cold and rainy. No surprise.  
Will venture out around noon when it’s supposed to be better   
Had a nice dinner last night.  
One thing I’ve noticed about the dining room is they are using a hand written seating chart, “old-style.” And everything flows nicely upon entering the dining room at the popular dinner hours.  
last night I went at 5:30 even though I have a 630 standing reservation and they wanted to show me to a table for two and I asked them if I could share and no problem there was a table for 8 and I was the eighth   Person, met some nice table mates had great service. All the dining service has been exceptional in Concerto. They have been exceedingly accommodating. The other night when they showed me to a table which I didn’t like I requested if I could have the same table I had the night before,  “sure ,no problem.”

Of note, yesterday, while at G.B, we were told that we would be able to hear the talk about the glaciers in our room on the bridge cam channel.  That did not occur.  
it didn’t matter much to me, because I’d already been to GB three other times but for those who might have been looking forward to not having to go out into the public areas, it might’ve been a bit disappointing. 

I attended the 5 o’clock captain’s circle party and the number two most traveled couple attended the 5 o’clock and the other two couples would be attending the 7 o’clock. The numbers were around 1300 + four positions two and three, and 1800 for the most traveled. 
last night, in speaking with some of my table mates, they were disappointed that they hadn’t received an invite to the captain circle party and they are Ruby, which makes me wonder if they are only inviting platinums and elites now? 
The room seemed quite full for the 5 o’clock party, taking distancing into consideration otherwise it might have been 50% full?  I don’t know. 
I feel like the employees really have their act together on the sailing. Essentially everybody is working in sync now. 
my cabin stewardess  is wonderful. 
I have not had to ask her for one thing. 
I do notice a lot of empty cabins on my floor in my section. When I say a lot, I mean between section 100 and 318 I think I’ve counted about 15 empty cabins. 
this cruise has spoiled me forever because of the perfect passenger to space ratio! 
finally had that fabulous dessert last night that everyone’s been talking about on Cruise Critic

Also, every morning, continental breakfast arrives  on time. If I  choose 730, it arrives at 7:31. 

i’m posting all these pics out of order

The glacier one on the bottom,  I have no clue which one that is , but that’s what it look like out there before it got really  blustery.  

383A3054-F9AE-4E69-8AB7-F4EFD9A6988C.jpeg

A1C19986-B07E-4369-9382-6C43DA2062BA.jpeg

D2D99CCA-1CCF-48D9-AA57-9CD7FC9BF62C.jpeg

679A1FDA-009A-4AD4-98B5-BEEA0FA06A14.jpeg

A4B7E276-ED4E-44B3-BE8A-D4790A5D3EA6.jpeg

27EDCBC4-CBAE-45C0-96D1-8951378CEFAD.jpeg

514A93A0-E7B0-4123-BB11-B6D0A101D97C.jpeg

927BC49A-75BD-40BD-9B32-3348677A83DB.jpeg

9050AEB3-DD28-4FF0-B347-3468A0F1554F.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The pool area in the photo is the Retreat Pool on other Royal Class ships, albeit slightly larger on Majestic.  Retreat Pools are uncovered.  The Conservatory area is where Sanctuary is on other ships.  I didn't find the Conservatory area to be of much use the way it was setup when were on Majestic in early 2019. 

I think a lot of folks would appreciate a covered pool area (for me it can get quite strong with chlorine smell).  I think the best idea is for the cruise line to spend the extra $$$ to have a retractable roof and can adjust depending on the weather.

The chlorine smell is definitely quite potent up there.   

20 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

My favorite vacation drink…..Midori Pina Colada.C160D2C5-B4C7-45D3-A44B-17203FDA8D47.jpeg.ea6e5d2cc3ae28ca66d695998fd6408c.jpeg

Found a great mask for formal night in the sundries store on the ship. It goes perfect with my dress for formal night tonight.9D5895F4-DFBF-48A5-93BF-94CEDB2EEF61.jpeg.40ce31674622714165d738153c5e1b6c.jpeg

This is just what I have been looking for.  If you don't mind how much was it, and can we order one online?  Hope your formal night was great.

We did a great shore excursion this morning called Black Bear, Wildlife & Nature Walk. It was amazing! One of my favorite shore excursions ever. Because it was raining we saw so many black bears and 4 baby bears. Last time I came to Alaska I only saw 1 bear so this trip made up for it. Hoping one video I took with mom and 2 babies can upload to CC. I’ll post more photos later. 

• Like 8

Did they announce the numbers of Elite, Platinum, Ruby, Gold, and new passengers? I had to ask Tina after the cocktail party last week. She had them ready but had skipped giving them. Also do you know the number of days it took to make the top 40 lunch?

26 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

We did a great shore excursion this morning called Black Bear, Wildlife & Nature Walk. It was amazing! One of my favorite shore excursions ever. Because it was raining we saw so many black bears and 4 baby bears. Last time I came to Alaska I only saw 1 bear so this trip made up for it. Hoping one video I took with mom and 2 babies can upload to CC. I’ll post more photos later. 

Excellent video!  Were you that close?

• Like 1