Updated CDC guidance

kearney

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

It does

• Self-tests, sometimes referred to as home tests or at-home tests, are tests performed by an individual at home or anywhere outside of a CLIA-certified laboratory and are only permitted for pre-embarkation testing for fully vaccinated passengers.
  • Self-collection of the sample is permitted with the following stipulations:
    • Self-collection must be permitted in the IFU.
    • The specimen must be collected under the observation of trained medical staff.
    • Trained medical staff may only observe the collection of a single individual at a time.

I may be showing ignorance. Silly question, but how do they know it's the right person.  Do you do a Zoom/Facetime call and show your driver license or some other document.

58 minutes ago, bajathree said:

The BinaxNOWTM COVID-19 Ag Card at home test  is going to be the way to go....and the cost is not $150 for a single test...it's a $150 for a pack of 6 tests.

A solo passenger, or couple, are still out $150 no matter how many tests are in the kit. Maybe they can sell the left overs in ebay.

There are other free options but not viable with the two day rule.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

My favorite is that the CDC gives the vaccinated a smaller pre-cruise test window than unvaccinated

Yeah, how about that?  It's actually easier for me to get a NAAT test 3 days prior than it is a rapid antigen test 2 days prior if I use a Walgreens or CVS type of place locally.  I'll hold out hope that if a vaxxed guest shows up with a 3 day PCR test that will be acceptable under the unvaxxed requirement, it will be allowed.  But then again it is CDC we're talking about, along with RCI's impeccable interpretations of the requirements.

Just now, nelblu said:

I may be showing ignorance. Silly question, but how do they know it's the right person.  Do you do a Zoom/Facetime call and show your driver license or some other document.

Yes. Video call and show proof of identification (your name will be linked to the test when you order it), then you show the unopened test to prove it's not yet tampered with, then they watch you take the test to make sure you swab correctly as well as don't try to fake the sample.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes. Video call and show proof of identification (your name will be linked to the test when you order it), then you show the unopened test to prove it's not yet tampered with, then they watch you take the test to make sure you swab correctly as well as don't try to fake the sample.

Is the result instantly.

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Is the result instantly.

Within like 15 minutes, yes. The test kit basically works the same as a pregnancy test. Then once the proctor on the zoom call sees the results, you get your email/have the app updated with  your "lab results" you'd use to board

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Non-vaxxed are being tested also at embarkation.

Then why do they have to test three days before if they are getting tested at the pier? For that matter, why can non vaxxed test three days before and vaxxed only two days before?

What am I missing here other than the more complicated they make it the less chance someone will actually book a cruise?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Within like 15 minutes, yes. The test kit basically works the same as a pregnancy test. Then once the proctor on the zoom call sees the results, you get your email/have the app updated with  your "lab results" you'd use to board

Funny, I was just about to mention/thinking like the pregnancy test.😄

Also, is there an expiration date on these kits.

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Then why do they have to test three days before if they are getting tested at the pier? For that matter, why can non vaxxed test three days before and vaxxed only two days before?

What am I missing here other than the more complicated they make it the less chance someone will actually book a cruise?

Who knows.  Remember, when they only took your temperature during the height of the pandemic.  Those were the simpler days.😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Why should Royal burden the costs? If they did they would probably just increase the fare and people would be none the wiser. It would be nice if they tested at the pier and charged closer to the cost of actual test and labor. We ordered the 150.00 kit and for the 2 of us it will be a back up plan for our next 3 cruises.

Royal has a business decision to make... as it gets harder and/or more expensive to meet the requirements to sail, even more people will cancel.  Without tests available at the pier, some people will cancel due to the risk of not getting results back in 2 days.  Others will cancel for having to pay Royal for a test they could have gotten for free if they had more than a 2-day window to receive the results.

• Like 7

First- this is not Royals fault

Second- Royal hasn't even announced a policy change to align with the CDC (yet?)

Third- It is possible to get a rapid test (CVS or buy) and complete within 2 days prior

Fourth- Non Vaccinated people would have to test 3 days prior and at the terminal- IF this is adopted.

Fifth- What happened Oh I will do anything to get on a ship, I miss it so much.  How quickly you all forgot.

Tip in this COVID era, we have all learned to roll with the punches so pull up your big boy pants and if that is too much then maybe cruising during a pandemic isn't right for you.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

A solo passenger, or couple, are still out $150 no matter how many tests are in the kit. Maybe they can sell the left overs in ebay.

There are other free options but not viable with the two day rule.

There is a two pack for 69.99 from another vendor. That's what I went with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

The BinaxNOWTM COVID-19 Ag Card at home test  is going to be the way to go....and the cost is not $150 for a single test...it's a $150 for a pack of 6 tests.

Except as a solo traveler, it is $150 for one test. I don’t need 6, and from what I’ve read, the 2 and 3 packs are sold out.

54 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I'm sailing Sept. 6 on Oasis and would be pis--ed.  Made arrangements to be tested at Hospital.  E-mailed received today clearly indicated 3 days.

I am sailing on the Oasis on September 5 -  out of Bayonne.  I hope

your September 6 was a typo - I will either be very, very early or you

will have missed sail away

• Haha 1

Just now, ryano said:

First, I never said it was Royals fault.

Fifth- "What happened Oh I will do anything to get on a ship, I miss it so much.  How quickly you all forgot."

Please search my entire history here and show me where I said anything even remotely close to that.

Some of us are in a situation that we have to sail this time or lose thousands of dollars and we're tired of the goalposts continuously being moved and the stress involved.

Pull your own pants up. 

That's cute you think I replied to only you....it was a general reply to the entire thread.  

Peace

17 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Except as a solo traveler, it is $150 for one test. I don’t need 6, and from what I’ve read, the 2 and 3 packs are sold out.

This place still has plenty of the two packs and three packs as of today.  Free expedited shipping

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ryano said:

This place still has plenty of the two packs and three packs as of today.  Free expedited shipping

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

Is the two pack for two people or two tests for one person?  They don’t ask for more than one name and I thought I read somewhere they could only be used by the person whose name was on them.  

Great business model. (NOT) Make your customers jump through more and more hoops to use your product/service.  Hope that they are so loyal and love your product so much that they are willing to continue spending money on it.  

• Like 1