Electrical outlets on the ship

phoenix_dream

I've tried to do some searching on the boards for my answer, but there is so much info that changes regularly based on ships I would like to ask again before packing.

What type of electrical outlets are available on the ships?

My first cruise is Millennium so would like to know about that ship specifically.

But also, for future reference and to help others, what outlets are available on:

- non-revolutionized M class?

- non-revolutionized S class?

- revolutionized S class?

- Edge class? 

Thanks for any current info!

On the Millennium (AquaClass cabin) we had two US outlets, one European outlet and two USB outlets at the desk/dressing table.  There was also two USB ports (I think) and a US outlet at the bedside table lamp. On other side of the bed there was a European outlet at the floor (but you had to move the bedside table slightly to access it.  There was also an electric shaver outlet in the bathroom in the light fixture over the sink.  Although I didn't go into other cabins, just from walking down the corridors it appeared all of the cabins had the same configuration. 

Back when I was a lurker, someone on here posted a picture of outlets and other cabin/ship features. I thought it was a great idea so I took some of my own. Here is my capture of the outlets on Reflection, Aqua Class. Pre-revolution, of course.

526699300_ReflectionAquacabinoutlets.thumb.jpg.5442846cb7549a4b7bbff139b7a136e6.jpg

If you need an Extension Cord or a Power Strip just ask your stateroom attendant.    I also use a couple adapters to help with my power needs.

image.png.f14510e944f8c271bb082aebcb07ef37.png

220 to 120 plus usb   -   Just make sure the device plugged into the 120 outlet is dual voltage or you will fry it.

image.png.44c19b87b6db5fa4a1a4e5df487269eb.png

image.png

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you need an Extension Cord or a Power Strip just ask your stateroom attendant.    I also use a couple adapters to help with my power needs.

image.png.f14510e944f8c271bb082aebcb07ef37.png

220 to 120 plus usb   -   Just make sure the device plugged into the 120 outlet is dual voltage or you will fry it.

image.png.44c19b87b6db5fa4a1a4e5df487269eb.png

image.png

Jim did you buy these on Amazon?

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Jim did you buy these on Amazon?

How did you guess.   LOL.      I'm on a first name basis with my Amazon delivery agent.

I also like this one.   I have a box of them for all plug configuration.   Iain is from Scotland so I need the UK plug for when we visit  and an Australian for when we are down under.   Just search 110 v with USB adapter or 220v

https://www.amazon.com/European-Adapter-TROND-American-Type/dp/B07QVZGY2B/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=220v+adapter+usb&qid=1630279854&sr=8-21

• Like 1

I did a lot of travel for work, pre-COVID and have a small power strip that I keep in my backpack.  When going through security when checking in for a Celebrity cruise on Equinox, it was flagged and confiscated but security.  I had to pick it up at the end of a cruise.

13 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I did a lot of travel for work, pre-COVID and have a small power strip that I keep in my backpack.  When going through security when checking in for a Celebrity cruise on Equinox, it was flagged and confiscated but security.  I had to pick it up at the end of a cruise.

The majority of power strips have surge protection and are banned on cruise ships.

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Wow.  Bummer.  Again, have been carrying them forever, and haven't had one bounce yet.  And yet they supposedly will bring you one if you ask for one?

@Fouremco

What's their brain damage with surge suppression?  Ideas?  A few TVS diodes on a clean line would never be noticed. 

16 minutes ago, canderson said:

Wow.  Bummer.  Again, have been carrying them forever, and haven't had one bounce yet.  And yet they supposedly will bring you one if you ask for one?

@Fouremco

What's their brain damage with surge suppression?  Ideas?  A few TVS diodes on a clean line would never be noticed. 

Seriously? Brain damage? WTH? If the search function is working, then use it on why power strips with surge suppressors are banned. Chengkp75 has posted numerous explanations on the subject.

Wish this forum would allow searches that included the poster's name as a separate field.

Lemme guess -- old crappy ones have big capacitors that hold a charge when the power is shut off, creating a hazard?  I didn't know they'd sold those in the last 30 years.

I'll try the search to see how it goes and get back to you.

Of all places - somewhere I never frequent (have only been here on the X forum) -- Cunard.

Actually, the best link was from 'bluemarble'.  Points here >> https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/TVNCOE/Documents/SafetyAlerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf?ver=2017-08-11-142750-690

The surge protectors in my power strips do not "interrupt only the hot conductor".  In fact, they don't interrupt EITHER conductor.  Transient voltage is shunted.  I think we've got a terminology problem here, but there may be an answer.  A typical power strip serves two different functions.

Based upon the Marine Safety Alert, it sounds more like they're talking about the circuit breaker feature of these power strips, and not normal surge (transient voltage) protection, and that the complaint is that the circuit breaker in these power strips is typically wired in series solely with "line", and not a double pole device that would also concurrently break the "neutral" side.  EE here, mom, so if you've got any links to anything more technical in nature, I'm game.

Searched for surge + suppressor and did find one post by chdngpk75, but it finished with "I would explain about surge suppressor dangers further, but it gets pretty technical, so unless someone asks, I'll just leave it here."

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Of all places - somewhere I never frequent (have only been here on the X forum) -- Cunard.

Actually, the best link was from 'bluemarble'.  Points here >> https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/TVNCOE/Documents/SafetyAlerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf?ver=2017-08-11-142750-690

The surge protectors in my power strips do not "interrupt only the hot conductor".  In fact, they don't interrupt EITHER conductor.  Transient voltage is shunted.  I think we've got a terminology problem here, but there may be an answer.  A typical power strip serves two different functions.

Based upon the Marine Safety Alert, it sounds more like they're talking about the circuit breaker feature of these power strips, and not normal surge (transient voltage) protection, and that the complaint is that the circuit breaker in these power strips is typically wired in series solely with "line", and not a double pole device that would also concurrently break the "neutral" side.  EE here, mom, so if you've got any links to anything more technical in nature, I'm game.

Searched for surge + suppressor and did find one post by chdngpk75, but it finished with "I would explain about surge suppressor dangers further, but it gets pretty technical, so unless someone asks, I'll just leave it here."

Good please do

• Like 1

Maritime systems have a floating ground. Terrestrial systems have a fixed ground. So a surge protected circuit is designed to “fail” in one direction, but a maritime circuit can go either way. Layman’s terms. So rather than sacrificing itself, your surge protector can become the source of a failure, and a fire hazard. 

Our resident maritime engineer explains it much better, but surge protection is unnecessary and bad on ships. And power strips are generally bad on their own as so many people overload them, which is a separate fire hazard. All of which adds up to cruise lines nabbing you power strips. 

USB bricks have none of those issues…

• Thanks 1

@markeb

Though it seems headed that way at times, not everything runs/charges off 5VDC.  Sometimes more AC outlets is the only answer.

An outlet strip that only places some TVS diodes between the three legs (takes care of both common mode and differential mode spikes) doesn't sacrifice itself.  They're passive unless the voltage between legs really does get out of hand, and are expected to survive.  Gotta wonder what was inside the ones that were referenced in that document I linked to.  It seemed to talk about opening only one side of the circuit ('hot' and not 'neutral').  As I say, that still sounds like a single pole circuit breaker (not what we'd normally call 'surge suppression'), and if that's a problem, it's how almost all of these strips are designed, so almost all would indeed be a problem.

IIRC, the outlets are recessed, so this (below) won't work from a mechanical standpoint.

Adapter.jpg.e21467fcadf87b371c756a94215f9741.jpg

Is it true that upon request, a very basic outlet strip that would be acceptable (basically, two bus bars and some sockets) can be made available to passengers?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

@markeb

Though it seems headed that way at times, not everything runs/charges off 5VDC.  Sometimes more AC outlets is the only answer.

An outlet strip that only places some TVS diodes between the three legs (takes care of both common mode and differential mode spikes) doesn't sacrifice itself.  They're passive unless the voltage between legs really does get out of hand, and are expected to survive.  Gotta wonder what was inside the ones that were referenced in that document I linked to.  It seemed to talk about opening only one side of the circuit ('hot' and not 'neutral').  As I say, that still sounds like a single pole circuit breaker (not what we'd normally call 'surge suppression'), and if that's a problem, it's how almost all of these strips are designed, so almost all would indeed be a problem.

IIRC, the outlets are recessed, so this (below) won't work from a mechanical standpoint.

Adapter.jpg.e21467fcadf87b371c756a94215f9741.jpg

Is it true that upon request, a very basic outlet strip that would be acceptable (basically, two bus bars and some sockets) can be made available to passengers?

Are you related to jg51?!?

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Are you related to jg51?!?

No.  Why do you ask?  Yes, please answer frankly.

As to your earlier, and somewhat insulting "please do" (which was misdirected), I haven't followed this forum in years, and had not seen anything in the first 10+ pages of the Celebrity threads that addressed this issue.  Why I was expected to know that such threads existed (especially in Cunard, where I actually found something fairly helpful) is a bit confusing.

And I'd still like to know if you (or others) know if this is true/false, as it will impact future packing plans:

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

No.  Why do you ask?  Yes, please answer frankly.

As to your earlier, and somewhat insulting "please do" (which was misdirected), I haven't followed this forum in years, and had not seen anything in the first 10+ pages of the Celebrity threads that addressed this issue.  Why I was expected to know that such threads existed (especially in Cunard, where I actually found something fairly helpful) is a bit confusing.

And I'd still like to know if you (or others) know if this is true/false, as it will impact future packing plans:

You said “I’ll just leave it here “ , I said yes please do, insulting IDK but I do know you did not just leave it here.  Celebrity does not want passengers bringing power strips on board, so just don’t.  You can try to show off all you want and provide photos and links, which mean nothing to most, don’t bring em on board and I will now def leave it here.

16 hours ago, HskrCrsr said:

Back when I was a lurker, someone on here posted a picture of outlets and other cabin/ship features. I thought it was a great idea so I took some of my own. Here is my capture of the outlets on Reflection, Aqua Class. Pre-revolution, of course.

526699300_ReflectionAquacabinoutlets.thumb.jpg.5442846cb7549a4b7bbff139b7a136e6.jpg

This is the perfect picture. Every cabin on every Celebrity ship we have sailed  has had this arrangement/number. If you work on this and take the adaptors you need for your gadgets you will be fine. Even after the "revolution"none of the standard balcony cabins on S class have USB ports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

This is the perfect picture. Every cabin on every Celebrity ship we have sailed  has had this arrangement/number. If you work on this and take the adaptors you need for your gadgets you will be fine. Even after the "revolution"none of the standard balcony cabins on S class have USB ports.

Correct, they were only added to those M class ships that got new furniture when revolutionised.

7 hours ago, LGW59 said:

You said “I’ll just leave it here “ , I said yes please do, insulting IDK but I do know you did not just leave it here.  Celebrity does not want passengers bringing power strips on board, so just don’t.  You can try to show off all you want and provide photos and links, which mean nothing to most, don’t bring em on board and I will now def leave it here.

Sorry, it wasn't me that said "I'll just leave it there".  That was the last sentence of the quote from the person that seems to know a lot about this stuff.  If you check my post carefully, you'll see...

That wasn't me, it was the person who was evidently knowledgeable about this topic who I had wished had indeed supplied more detail.  I'm still really curious about what appears to have been a major multi-point failure in the photo in the link that I found.  Wow.  What a mess that was.