Latest (8/29) on COVID Testing

Cruise Suzy

If CNN et. al. could be trusted not to go into hysterics over exact numbers, then I could see them releasing the information.  But why give the overreactive media fodder?  Did you see any of CNN's Ida coverage over the weekend?  The anchor looked like she was about to hyperventilate.  

OT: anything short of testing at the pier won't help most people when a good portion of the pre-embarkation time period has to be devoted to traveling to the port.  Quest Diagnostics was one of the places I looked into locally and the results in 1-2 days wasn't good enough for us.  

12 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

Since you did not apply quotes to the comment from an online article, one would assume it was your opinion.  

Since the CDC is not, and cannot, force anyone to get vaccinated, I am not sure what you are getting at. 

Not worth the argument. Have a nice day.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So I’m reading this with a critical eye. It implies HAL is covering the cost by the phrase “we have partnered with Quest.”

But there is also the disclaimer/qualifier:

This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government”

Is HAL taking the patient place of a health plan or the government?  If one has Kaiser, who a poster above says won’t cover for travel, is it still not out of pocket for the prospective pax?

I just checked with my Medicare Advantage provider (AARP) - they do not cover testing for travel purposes so HAL's statement implying this "partnership with Quest" is a boon for all of us is nothing but fluff, at least as far as we're concerned, and we're back to square one.  Of course others might have insurance that does cover it but definitely suggest you confirm it before you get hit with an unexpected out-of-pocket expense.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, zelker said:

HAL's statement implying this "partnership with Quest" is a boon for all of us is nothing but fluff, at least as far as we're concerned, 

That is totally what it is... fluff!!   This way HAL can say we are assisting when in fact it truly is no help at all. It actualy does not even fit into what they are requiring. 

• Like 7

Well, I just wasted the better part of an hour trying to book an online appointment with Quest Diagnostics (lab 6 miles from us).  What a total joke.  Answer a bunch of questions, set up an account, verify, (over & over) and finally get to a calendar for  September....  all grayed out. Same for Oct, Nov.

Nothing.  What??  Tried again, nothing.  Called local lab, nothing but automated choices.  No person to speak to. HAL has not "partnered" with QD, they are simply recommending something that frankly is..... not good.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, julia said:

Well, I just wasted the better part of an hour trying to book an online appointment with Quest Diagnostics (lab 6 miles from us).  What a total joke.  Answer a bunch of questions, set up an account, verify, (over & over) and finally get to a calendar for  September....  all grayed out. Same for Oct, Nov.

Nothing.  What??  Tried again, nothing.  Called local lab, nothing but automated choices.  No person to speak to. HAL has not "partnered" with QD, they are simply recommending something that frankly is..... not good.

Doubtful anybody at HAL bothered to call and check it out themselves.  It's the equivalent of opening the yellow pages and pointing at the place with the largest ad.  Sigh

• Like 2

I see a lot of complaints but has anyone resolved the problem. One poster finds September grayed out, then checks October and November with the same result. Are they actually sailing in September, October and November, or was it just an exercise. Another poster isn't happy with 24-48 hour results. I think the questions should be addressed to Quest. Why HAL as they are in the cruising business - not a laboratory.

We just returned last month from Iceland and needed the COVID test for re-entry to the US. Full RT-PCR test for my wife and I. Cost was $58.96 at the Ministry of Health facility with her results in 5-1/2 hours and mine in seven hours. Emailed to us and accepted at the airport. Dare I say socialized (to a degree) medicine versus capitalistic medicine. The reason I say this as we are not citizens of Iceland yet were able to access their system.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 1

I think everyone needs to realize that Covid testing has increased significantly over the past month for several reasons. Most notably due to the delta variant. But there are also schools that have reopened that are having major issues with covid positivity. Those kids need to be tested. It's very possible that the Quest sites are simply overloaded and can not handle the traffic. In ALL cases those needing tests due to symptoms of covid or those who have been in close proximity to those who have tested positive for covid should take precedence over those needing a test to travel. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jhsocal said:

Two big questions--will private insurance or medicare pay for it and can Quest provide results fast enough? Hopefully, some phone calls can provide some answers.

Dobiemom, there is a Quest lab in Fullerton.

The shot is free for everyone regardless of insurance status. Urgent care type places are adding on huge fees for administering though that insurance might not cover. 

13 minutes ago, grumpyjr88 said:

The shot is free for everyone regardless of insurance status. Urgent care type places are adding on huge fees for administering though that insurance might not cover. 

We're talking about testing, not vaccines.

Well, there is no Quest Diagnostics in Fairbanks, Alaska, or in any part of Alaska.  They used to be here, but it looks like they've bailed. 

Honestly, HAL needs to recognize that they should set up testing facilities within their terminals like some other cruise lines do, and like they've done in Greece.  Luckily for me there is testing 7 days per week at the Fairbanks airport, holidays included.  If I didn't have this option I'd have to cancel my upcoming B2B cruises in late November/early December, as we have to get tested on Thanksgiving day.  Hopefully they will change their tune soon.  It seems a lot of people are cancelling due to lack of testing facilities.

Edited by Taters

2 hours ago, julia said:

I had the same results with Walgreens.  Closest available was VA and I am in FL.

Fortunately, our local health department offers rapid and a local clinic PCR.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 10:54 AM, Cruise Suzy said:

From HAL's FAQ

Yes, we require ALL guests to produce a negative, medically observed, viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Holland America line sailings. This currently applies to sailings through October 31, 2021, however, guidance will be re-evaluated on an ongoing basis.

For U.S. guests, Holland America Line has partnered with Quest Diagnostics to provide over 1,500 locations in the United States to schedule a no-cost* COVID COVID-19 test appointment, with results delivered within 48 hours. Click here (No-Cost COVID-19 Testing (questdiagnostics.com)) to find a testing location near you.

* This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government.

Yeah… this resource from HAL isn’t helpful at all.  The locations are listed as “active infection testing only”, or 50 miles away (which is hours of Los Angeles traffic…)

1 hour ago, jhsocal said:

Two big questions--will private insurance or medicare pay for it and can Quest provide results fast enough? Hopefully, some phone calls can provide some answers.

Dobiemom, there is a Quest lab in Fullerton.

Thanks,  but that would be 1.5-2 hours (at least) driving time round trip and that’s not including testing time. For a “free” or not test. 🤨

There are 3-8 sites testing sites near me (depending on the city or zip code entered) but as others have said there are no appointments available (grayed out) at any of these sites. 😡

I’m just going to pay $75 for a rapid antigen test and be done with it. 
(And my private insurance will NOT pay (I called) since I am asymptomatic. 🙁)

3 hours ago, Laminator said:

I think everyone needs to realize that Covid testing has increased significantly over the past month for several reasons. Most notably due to the delta variant. But there are also schools that have reopened that are having major issues with covid positivity. Those kids need to be tested. It's very possible that the Quest sites are simply overloaded and can not handle the traffic. In ALL cases those needing tests due to symptoms of covid or those who have been in close proximity to those who have tested positive for covid should take precedence over those needing a test to travel. 

Yes, yes, yes! And all those others who need a test are for much more important reasons than leisure travel. But, reading the posts in several threads, cruise passengers are booking multiple tests to cover themselves if one place cancels or has no supplies. But they are the ones tying up appointments from those who really need them.

The cruise lines should stop this BS requirement for those who are fully vaccinated. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Taters said:

Well, there is no Quest Diagnostics in Fairbanks, Alaska, or in any part of Alaska.  They used to be here, but it looks like they've bailed. 

Honestly, HAL needs to recognize that they should set up testing facilities within their terminals like some other cruise lines do, and like they've done in Greece.  Luckily for me there is testing 7 days per week at the Fairbanks airport, holidays included.  If I didn't have this option I'd have to cancel my upcoming B2B cruises in late November/early December, as we have to get tested on Thanksgiving day.  Hopefully they will change their tune soon.  It seems a lot of people are cancelling due to lack of testing facilities.

What people need to understand is the very rapid tests (which a cruise line would likely be doing at the gangway) are much more expensive, and somewhat less accurate. But people just think "no big deal, the deep pockets cruise line will pick up the cost".

Said it before, will say it again....testing 72 hours out is not as complicated as people think...just takes a little thought or planning. Have tested twice to go to Hawaii, with another, third trip in Covid time, already scheduled for Oct 2, testing if needed. And a similar timeline imagined for our cruise in late February.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

What people need to understand is the very rapid tests (which a cruise line would likely be doing at the gangway) are much more expensive, and somewhat less accurate. But people just think "no big deal, the deep pockets cruise line will pick up the cost".

Said it before, will say it again....testing 72 hours out is not as complicated as people think...just takes a little thought or planning. Have tested twice to go to Hawaii, with another, third trip in Covid time, already scheduled for Oct 2, testing if needed. And a similar timeline imagined for our cruise in late February.

Isn't it nice that you can get an appointment for October!!  I can't make an appointment until a week prior to the test day -- and that is only if I jump online to make the appointment as soon as it opens up.  So it is a bit more complicated for some of us.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2021 at 4:14 PM, lstrong said:

Not helpful here in East San Diego county. No sites. I’m with Kaiser,  but they only test with a doctors order and not for travel. I guess I go to cvs, but was told $170 there:(

I hear you, I just checked the site, Escondido. no where near to wear we fly in to. ugh I might just have to suck it up and get it done through the airport for a similar fee of >$170.00. might be worth it to just not have to taxi all over San Diego to get a test in time. We will have been on the road for 4 days prior to cruise. Agreed,  It is a bit more complicated for some of us.  I would be happy to pay HAL this same price for pier testing. 

image.png.c1fe338f2117a39dbb44d21669d93e3e.png

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Taters said:

Fairbanks airport is the best.  We summer in Chatanika, left for FL last week.  There used to be testing at Tampa airport, but they've stopped and turned it over to urgent care facilities. Much harder to get a test here. BTW, so sorry to hear about Two Rivers Lodge.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JB&JLG74 said:

Fairbanks airport is the best.  We summer in Chatanika, left for FL last week.  There used to be testing at Tampa airport, but they've stopped and turned it over to urgent care facilities. Much harder to get a test here. BTW, so sorry to hear about Two Rivers Lodge.

I actually used to work for Ron and Shirley at the Chatanika Lodge years ago and lived in a cabin nearby.  I quit when I was 7 months pregnant back in September, 1989.  We love those folks to pieces.

I met my husband working out there.  He had a homestead at 53 Mile Steese.

And yes, losing Two Rivers Lodge last week was horrible.  At least they've finally caught the arsonist.  What a senseless tragedy.

Edited by Taters

17 minutes ago, Taters said:

I actually used to work for Ron and Shirley at the Chatanika Lodge years ago and lived in a cabin nearby.  I quit when I was 7 months pregnant back in September, 1989.  We love those folks to pieces.

I met my husband working out there.  He had a homestead at 53 Mile Steese.

And yes, losing Two Rivers Lodge last week was horrible.  At least they've finally caught the arsonist.  What a senseless tragedy.

We are near the McKay Creek trailhead.  When did they catch the arsonist?  Didn't see the news in the Daily Miner downloaded this morning.