Power Strips

DiRonT

I know this has been asked before, but do and I are having a "discussion" regarding whether strips with surge protectors can be used onboard or only power strip without surge protection.  Also, what is the reason if the answer is no surge protection.  Thanks.

Just now, DiRonT said:

I know this has been asked before, but do and I are having a "discussion" regarding whether strips with surge protectors can be used onboard or only power strip without surge protection.  Also, what is the reason if the answer is no surge protection.  Thanks.

Oops - meant DH, not "do".

31 minutes ago, DiRonT said:

Surge protectors are not allowed.  I've discussed this hundreds of times here on CC, so just search my post history and you will find technical discussions as to why.  They present a serious fire hazard.

Suffice it to say, that none, absolutely zero, of the electronics on the ship are surge protected.  Not the engine room automation that keeps everything running, not the navigation equipment that keeps you on course and safe, not the POS cash registers that record your drink orders, or the computers on nearly every supervisor's desk on the ship.  Why?  First off, what are the hazards that surge protectors protect against on land?  Lightning strikes are one.  On a ship, with the "floating" or separate ground system, lightning goes right through the ship without affecting any electrical or electronic equipment in the least.  I've been on ships struck by lightning several times, and never once had any electronics fried by the lightning. The second hazard is overvoltage from blown transformers.  On land, the transformers drop power from 10,000 volts to 220 volts for your house, in one step.  Short that transformer, and you've got 10k volts going to your computer.  On a ship, voltage is stepped from 10k volts to 480volts, then from 480 to 220 volts, and finally from 220 volts to 110 volts.  Each step has overvoltage protection that trips the circuit out if too much voltage is present, so it would require failure of several transformers and protection circuits to allow high voltage to your power  strip.

Surge protectors are the "silent killer" of ships.  A brand new, perfectly working surge protector on a ship could burst into flames the next instant, because a light fixture many decks away and at the other end of the ship fills with rain water, and goes to ground.  Failure and fire from a surge protector are completely out of your control on a ship.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

I remember back a few years them not being allowed.  chengkp 75's expanation of why is good.  I find it curious though if something has changed because I can not find them prohibited in the Passage Contract, the FAQs nor in the Cruise Answer Book and there is a looooonnnnggg list of prohibited items!

Restricted Items The following items must not be allowed on board without valid lawful reason: • All firearms are strictly forbidden onboard any vessel (these may only be carried if specifically authorized by the Princess Cruises Security Officer), an exception to this rule are Law Enforcement Agents acting in an official capacity • All ammunition unless authorized by Princess Cruises Security Officer • Imitation firearms • Pellet guns • All explosives including explosive devices, detonators, smoke cartridges, grenades, mines, explosive military stores, imitation explosives (unless specifically authorized for training purposes), imitation devices, fireworks and flares • Sharp pointed weapons • Knives (with a blade over 7cm in length). (Unless specifically authorized for personnel who in the normal course of their duties on board the ship require to be in possession of a knife with a more substantial blade, i.e. Galley Staff and Deck Ratings) • Diver’s knives, unless accompanied by other diving/ snorkelling equipment and a valid diving ID Card/License • Flick knives, gravity knives, switchblades or lock knives regardless of blade size • Swords, swordsticks and umbrellas containing sword blades • Open razors such as cutthroat razors • Spears and spear guns • Truncheons • Archery equipment including crossbows and bolts • Blow pipes • Catapults • Hookah Pipes • Knuckle dusters, clubs, coshes and rice flails • Stun Guns, Tasers or any other electroshock device • Items containing incapacitating substances such as gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable • Inflammable substances, unless carried in limited quantities and in accordance with company instructions, e.g. petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, etc. • Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon • Surfboards (Boogie boards no longer than 42 inches in length are allowed) • Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility) • Hoverboards, heely shoes, segways • Drones (Unmanned Areal Vehicles – UAVs, Remote Piloted Areal vehicles – RPAs, or any other remote controlled aerial devices/toys) *The above list is not exhaustive. The Ship Security Officer and Staff Captain are authorized to make a professional judgment as to the legality of any item, declared, detected or discovered.

Amazon has a large selection of power strips without surge protectors built-in. On the one that I bought, I printed out the product description and have a rubber band around that document holding it to the surge protector in case there’s ever any question. It very clearly states that the device that I take on board with me is not surge protected.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Amazon has a large selection of power strips without surge protectors built-in. On the one that I bought, I printed out the product description and have a rubber band around that document holding it to the power strip in case there’s ever any question. It very clearly states that the device that I take on board with me is not surge protected.

That's a good idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Surge protectors are not allowed.  I've discussed this hundreds of times here on CC, so just search my post history and you will find technical discussions as to why.  They present a serious fire hazard.

Suffice it to say, that none, absolutely zero, of the electronics on the ship are surge protected.  Not the engine room automation that keeps everything running, not the navigation equipment that keeps you on course and safe, not the POS cash registers that record your drink orders, or the computers on nearly every supervisor's desk on the ship.  Why?  First off, what are the hazards that surge protectors protect against on land?  Lightning strikes are one.  On a ship, with the "floating" or separate ground system, lightning goes right through the ship without affecting any electrical or electronic equipment in the least.  I've been on ships struck by lightning several times, and never once had any electronics fried by the lightning. The second hazard is overvoltage from blown transformers.  On land, the transformers drop power from 10,000 volts to 220 volts for your house, in one step.  Short that transformer, and you've got 10k volts going to your computer.  On a ship, voltage is stepped from 10k volts to 480volts, then from 480 to 220 volts, and finally from 220 volts to 110 volts.  Each step has overvoltage protection that trips the circuit out if too much voltage is present, so it would require failure of several transformers and protection circuits to allow high voltage to your power  strip.

Surge protectors are the "silent killer" of ships.  A brand new, perfectly working surge protector on a ship could burst into flames the next instant, because a light fixture many decks away and at the other end of the ship fills with rain water, and goes to ground.  Failure and fire from a surge protector are completely out of your control on a ship.

Thank you for posting this information again.  I knew the answer was "No surge protectors" because I've read your posts before but I couldn't have explained it to the OP the way you have done.  I know you've helped folks before but this is so important to know so thank you again!!

4 hours ago, DiRonT said:

What is the need for extra outlets?  If it's for charging electronics you use a USB charging station. 

3 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Amazon has a large selection of power strips without surge protectors built-in. On the one that I bought, I printed out the product description and have a rubber band around that document holding it to the surge protector in case there’s ever any question. It very clearly states that the device that I take on board with me is not surge protected.

Be careful of those as well. On other threads on other message boards @chengkp75 has pointed out some that others have posted from Amazon were indeed surge protected even though they were advertised not to be. I think they even advertised that they were good for cruise ships.

Edited by Iamcruzin

24 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

What is the need for extra outlets?  If it's for charging electronics you use a USB charging station. 

We have 3 devices as well as cameras and their batteries, but we use a USB charging tower for those.  We probably will not need additional outlets, but have decided to just take a "plug in" (no surge protectors) that will provide 1 or 2 extra electrical outlets if necessary.

• Like 1

I brought a power strip with surge protector on our first 25 or so  out of 35 cruises. No one said anything about it. Then I found out they are not allowed and are very dangerous. So much for that power strip. Now I cruise with power strip without a surge protector. You can buy them on Amazon. Some of them say cruise ship approved. 

4 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

*The above list is not exhaustive. The Ship Security Officer and Staff Captain are authorized to make a professional judgment as to the legality of any item, declared, detected or discovered.

You missed this bit at the end that calls out the extension cords without surge protection : 

• *Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to disembarkation.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

You can get a 3 outlet adapter on Amazon for $4.04.

DON

You can get 2 (3 outlet power strips without surge protection) from IKEA for $4.99.

But on a more serious note.  I (we) just have too much technology today (tablet, computer, phone and/or camera) x 2.  AND Princess is "making" us use our phones for the MedallionClass app (lol).  Plus I have a CPAP machine.  Growing old is not as much fun as I was told it would be.  

2 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The bed side lamps on Princess ships have USB charging outlets.

Only SOME ships have USB charging outlets on the bed side lamps.  It would be nice if they updated all ships during the pause.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

My camera battery chargers are electrical outlet plug in only. No USB for these chargers.

40 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Only SOME ships have USB charging outlets on the bed side lamps.  It would be nice if they updated all ships during the pause.

Back in the days when they were designing the thing they didnt expect people to have that many gadgets on them at once =D. When I travel, I need at elast 3-4 outlets to charge my stuff (watch, phone, tablet, headphones, some other stuff). Its insane really =D 

6 hours ago, caribill said:

My camera battery chargers are electrical outlet plug in only. No USB for these chargers.

Back in the day I had the same issue with camera batteries and laptop. Now I just use my phone as a camera and bring an iPad instead of a laptop.  I have a 5 port USB power strip that I bring. I didn't even need it on my last cruise which was on Royal Caribbean because they had USB ports built into the desk.

If Princess expects people to use their phones for the Medallion they really need to update the older ships with USB ports. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Back in the days when they were designing the thing they didnt expect people to have that many gadgets on them at once =D. When I travel, I need at elast 3-4 outlets to charge my stuff (watch, phone, tablet, headphones, some other stuff). Its insane really =D 

We had 2 phones, 2 iPads, 2 fitbits and 2 headphones and were able to keep everything charged using the two USB ports that were provided on Royal Caribbean. Not everything was charging at the same time. I agree that Princess needs to update because the future passengers are going to be more technology dependent than their current passenger demographic.