Do I need a cell phone onboard?

rcssmom

I am sorry if this has been asked before.  I noticed that we need to download the Celebrity App before we board.  Do we need our phones for the entire cruise or is it just for check-in?  Do both members of a traveling party need a phone or is one enough.  Thanks for your replies.

Karen

I always carry my cell phone on a cruise in the AIRPLANE MODE!

I use it during the cruise to listen to music, audio books and txt via internet.

Wife takes hers too for same reasons.

Stay Safe n Happy Cruising. 

• Like 1

They are asking you to use it more and more.

The Daily had QR codes at least x2.

1)First one was for a brief feedback/ how are we doing survey.

It took you through to an iOffice, which I filled in due to the fact that I couldn’t order my meals from the App ( which they asked you to do), as it didn’t use the dietary symbols, so I had to ask for a paper menu, as I am Dairy Intolerant.

2) QR code to fill in debarkation information. 

My phone goes in the safe on day 1 and doesn't come out until the end of the cruise.   

So many restaurants are using the QR code for their menus...seems particularly since the virus hit...and my phone won't open the code (iPhone 7).  That said, if I can't use my phone to access the code for disembarkation, do I need to stay on the ship indefinitely...or until someone gives me a form to fill out by hand (horrors)?

15 minutes ago, canderson said:

Can #2 item for disembarkation by done on the TV instead?

That’s done with your sail card.  Once you scan your card that you’re off the ship, you’re off the ship.

Although, I did use my phone to open my cabin door, which I liked.

Edited by graphicguy

8 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

So many restaurants are using the QR code for their menus...seems particularly since the virus hit...and my phone won't open the code (iPhone 7). 

There's no reason why an iPhone7 shouldn't open a QR code unless you haven't updated your software or you haven't activated the right setting (it's a camera setting).  I had a 6s until last year, and it would open them.  Maybe watch some YouTube videos on how to do it.

As to whether a phone is required on the ship, there's going to be a workaround for everything as not all people have cellphones or ones that handle the tech requirements for everything.  But, it is convenient to have the tools at your fingertips.

23 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

There's no reason why an iPhone7 shouldn't open a QR code unless you haven't updated your software or you haven't activated the right setting (it's a camera setting).  I had a 6s until last year, and it would open them.  Maybe watch some YouTube videos on how to do it.

As to whether a phone is required on the ship, there's going to be a workaround for everything as not all people have cellphones or ones that handle the tech requirements for everything.  But, it is convenient to have the tools at your fingertips.

Thanks...I do upgrades as soon as they are available.  I'll look into the camera setting.  

2 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Thanks...I do upgrades as soon as they are available.  I'll look into the camera setting.  

In the off chance that it's a user issue and not the phone:

• Open the Camera app.
  • Select the rear facing camera. Hold your device so that the QR code appears in the viewfinder in the Camera app. Your device recognizes the QR code and shows a notification.
  • Tap the notification to open the link associated with the QR code.

Good luck!

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

In the off chance that it's a user issue and not the phone:

• Open the Camera app.
  • Select the rear facing camera. Hold your device so that the QR code appears in the viewfinder in the Camera app. Your device recognizes the QR code and shows a notification.
  • Tap the notification to open the link associated with the QR code.

Good luck!

Thanks!  It's sounding more and more like I'll be getting off the ship on 9/18 🤣 as scheduled.

3 hours ago, rcssmom said:

... I noticed that we need to download the Celebrity App before we board.  Do we need our phones for the entire cruise or is it just for check-in?  Do both members of a traveling party need a phone or is one enough.  Thanks for your replies.  Karen

Hello, Karen ("rcssmom").

You are mistaken in believing that you "need to download the Celebrity App" before boarding.  Not only do you not need to download it, you don't even need to own or carry a "smartphone."  We choose not to own one, and we had no trouble booking cruises and performing the online check-ins.

Speaking of the check-in, Celebrity "lied" to us (and perhaps to you), because the very first screen of the check-in process erroneously states that one must download the app.  Believing that to be false, we ignored it and had no trouble checking in.

We realize that the lack of a phone and/or the app can prevent our doing certain things (at check-in and/or onboard), but we don't mind.  We prefer to live without a portable phone, for several reasons that we don't wish to discuss.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

That’s done with your sail card.  Once you scan your card that you’re off the ship, you’re off the ship.

I was thinking that perhaps the QR in the Daily was to take you to a spot to *supply* them with the disembarkation info (e.g., mode of transport, flight time, etc) so they could slot you into a disembarkation time.

Definitely going to be a new experience, either way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rcssmom said:

I am sorry if this has been asked before.  I noticed that we need to download the Celebrity App before we board.  Do we need our phones for the entire cruise or is it just for check-in?  Do both members of a traveling party need a phone or is one enough.  Thanks for your replies.

Karen

You don't need the down load the app and you don't need your phone(s) at all on the cruise. Personal preference. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lola2013 said:

I had the same problem when I got my Vax and they wanted me to scan a QR code.    I found that on one of the upgrades it was turned it off by default.

Go to Setting :    Camera  :  Scan QR Code and make sure it is green (turned on)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I had the same problem when I got my Vax and they wanted me to scan a QR code.    I found that on one of the upgrades it was turned it off by default.

Go to Setting :    Camera  :  Scan QR Code and make sure it is green (turned on)

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Also, as others have pointed out, using the Celebrity app without using foreign cell and roaming services can be done by turning on “airplane mode”, so no calls can be placed or received by using cell service.  But, you’d still have access to the app via WiFi.  

Or, connect via iPad, or you can still get iPod Touch, which doesn’t even offer cell service, but can connect to WiFi.  Or, use an Amazon Fire HD.

Lots of options without using cell service!

Hello,

I have a smartphone - two in fact a BlackBerry and a Microsoft Windows 10 phone. I can read the QR code perfectly well - all it is is a URL to whatever - MDR Menu etc on the app.

However without the app that's as far as you go (on board Silhouette). Cafe al Bacio would not let me touch the printed menu but held it at a distance so I could photograph it; Passport Bar dictated from memory (some of) the drinks available at the bar, Ensemble Bar just said to ask for a drink and they would tell you whether they could do it or not whereas all restaurants (MDR plus specialty) gave me paper menus to read from.

Regards,

Cublet

I carry my phone with me on the ship

so that I will always have a camera with me. I would have missed some good shots over the years otherwise (like dolphins very early one morning when I was doing my exercise walk, or a beautiful evening sky when we were coming out of the theatre).