The Daily for Tuesday August 31, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I called Brenda this afternoon and she joyfully announced these past two days she has felt like her old self again.  It took her 30 days to get here.  No more dragging herself around the house.  She was excited to be back to doing laundry and loading the dishwasher.  I pray this continues!  🙂

Sandi, that is good news.  I hope she doesn't take on too much too soon, but I understand how she feels being able to do normal things again.

Lenda 

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

We did a Cal coast one with Celebrity a couple of years ago and they had to cancel Monterey because of high seas, so they took us up to San Francisco early instead.  It was actually quite nice to have the overnight there, as you could enjoy a leisurely meal in the city or what have you.  

I'm trying to make lemonade out of the lemons here, but it was a pleasant cruise back then, and this could be, too.  

I'm saying any cruise we get to take is better then a canceled cruise. I am ready to be on the water in a BHB.

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Great time in beautiful Michigan in Lake Charlevoix area. Enjoyed the cooler weather and the homes with beautiful flowering yards!

That is a beautiful part of Michigan.  My sister's house is about 20 minutes south of the town of Charlevoix.  The town is nice, but it gets over run with people in the summer.   I think my other sister and I are narrowing it down to the Traverse City area for our retirement home.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

And it's great for deterring slugs and snails!

We used Slug X Traps from the UK. (They're kind of hard to find nowadays though.) They were billed as "Slug Pubs where it was always last call."

You filled the cups in the trap with beer. The slugs, attracted to the beer, would enter the traps and head off to the great happy hour beyond. We used them because we wanted to avoid poisons around our two Black Labrador Retrievers. The traps were really effective, but you had to clean them often. Sun-drenched, beer-swilling, ex-slugs got a little ripe in the sun.

We also had an irrigation system and the diatomaceous earth lost most of its effectiveness once it got wet.

https://www.garlandproducts.com/slug-x-slug-trap.html

slug-x-open_10.jpg

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, POA1 said:

We used Slug X Traps from the UK. (They're kind of hard to find nowadays though.) They were billed as "Slug Pubs where it was always last call."

You filled the cups in the trap with beer. The slugs, attracted to the beer, would enter the traps and head off to the great happy hour beyond. We used them because we wanted to avoid poisons around our two Black Labrador Retrievers. The traps were really effective, but you had to clean them often. Sun-drenched, beer-swilling, ex-slugs got a little ripe in the sun.

We also had an irrigation system and the diatomaceous earth lost most of its effectiveness once it got wet.

https://www.garlandproducts.com/slug-x-slug-trap.html

slug-x-open_10.jpg

I’ve done the beer thing, too.  Just cutting scoops out of the edges of plastic containers, adding beer, putting the lid back on and then burying the container to the depth of the cut out - slug pub indeed!

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, dfish said:

That is a beautiful part of Michigan.  My sister's house is about 20 minutes south of the town of Charlevoix.  The town is nice, but it gets over run with people in the summer.   I think my other sister and I are narrowing it down to the Traverse City area for our retirement home.

Took a tour of what was the Northern Michigan Asylum in Traverse City. Very interesting and enlightening on how well they were treated and with such success. Sadly these necessary facilities are no longer but needed.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I saw a post that Santa Barbara is cancelling cruise ships until March 2022.  This will impact some posters on this board.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6437/

I adored this stop in fall 2019 on Eurodam...my husband and I did a tour that went to Solvang and included two wineries.  It was during this stop that I ended up joining my 'second' wine club...Kalyra Winery.  Beautiful port I'd love to visit again.

• Like 6

Thanks for all the daily information.

Today being the first of September is the first day of spring.........Remembered to say Rabbits, white rabbits first thing this morning.  A sunny day, temperature 16 C.

@mamaofami good news about Sam, hope your new aide will be satisfactory 

@JAM37 hope your husband continues to feel better each day.

@1ANGELCAT such sad news about the young lifeguard.

@smitty34877How long does each Pulmonary Rehab session last for Tana?  Hope this helps her.

@ger_77 safe travels, enjoy the visit with your friends.

@StLouisCruisers good news about Brenda improving..

After a couple of days of Delta numbers dropping, today have risen again  by 75,   1 case in Wellington, the remainder in Auckland.  Total of 32 people in hospital, 8 in ICU, with 3 on Ventilators.

Today all the country south of Auckland has a little more "freedom", can buy take away coffee, fast food etc ( some people were waiting for McDonalds to open this morning)  

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Good evening,

Grandkids started school today .  6th and 2nd grade.  They just left our place after giving us a blow by blow description of their day.  It was good to see them so excited.  I quizzed them about masks...yes had to wear them at all times except when eating and then needed to be social distanced.  My heart goes out to all the teachers preparing for greet a new class with enthusiasm and care.  

Great set of days.  Trail mix is a favorite snack as we travel in the car.

Thank you Rich and Roy for the lists.  As always, I enjoyed all the posts and pictures.

Prayers to all.  Cheers to all also for getting thru August.  Here come September.

Where does time go.

Stay well and safe.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Graham, thank you for this reminder.  It prompted me about contact lenses.  Heaven forbid there should be a quarantine anywhere along the way, plenty of medication and contacts need to be in the bag.  More than under usual circumstances.  Thanks.

Thank you @AncientWanderer.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you but it is best to be prepared just in case.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I called Brenda this afternoon and she joyfully announced these past two days she has felt like her old self again.  It took her 30 days to get here.  No more dragging herself around the house.  She was excited to be back to doing laundry and loading the dishwasher.  I pray this continues!  🙂

Great news on Brenda. 👍 Prayers that her improvement continues 🙏🏻 

15 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

On the way to the doctor yesterday (no hip replacement needed anytime soon thank goodness) 

What a relief.  Great news 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1