Will RCCL start doing their own rapid testing at the Port for all passengers?

bren61

5 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

I thought the CDC could only recommend now, not mandate. The 2 day testing limit is only a recommendation, not law.

It was either Fain or Bayley that has publicly stated that Royal is going to follow the CDC recommendations

Perfect, just what I was hoping for....if people can get a test before the cruise, good for them, but have a paid option for those who need it at the port. If RC follows suit with Carnival, I'll be booking an Alaska and Mexico cruise right away. 

2 hours ago, ryano said:

I bet Royal follows suit too.  I just read in another thread that Carnival is working on setting up testing sites at their ports

Yeah, all is good and they have figured out how to make a % cut of the fee for these tests...WOW  All they have to do is sign a contract with testing company and sit back and rake in the dough!  Thank you CDC.

• Like 1

Why not have it done at the pier?

Wouldn't that be safer for RCI and the passengers?

It would not be good for someone who just became a C19 case as they would not be allowed to board and flew to port. Anyone can become a case within 3 days. Really you can test Negative today, but Positive tomorrow. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Carnival's start 09/13, and will be at the port, which is the same as NCL is doing now. I would think Royal would do the same, even if they don't want to just to stay competitive with the other lines.

They are charging for the tests at the port.  I would be willing to bet that the expense is more than $50 each.  Easier to buy an at home proctored test from emed

• Like 1

RC testing at the pier isn't  practical.  If you travelled by airplane to a port and RC did a test that came back positive, you will have to quarantine in that city for 10 days at your expense.  You will not be allowed back on an airplane for 10 days.  Why would anyone take this chance?  It's better to get tested from home just in case. 

1 hour ago, crusinthrough said:

RC testing at the pier isn't  practical.  If you travelled by airplane to a port and RC did a test that came back positive, you will have to quarantine in that city for 10 days at your expense.  You will not be allowed back on an airplane for 10 days.  Why would anyone take this chance?  It's better to get tested from home just in case. 

NCL is testing everyone at the port. RCL tested everyone in the Bahamas. MSC tested everyone at the port, until they decided not to any more. RCL and others test kids at the port. Would you rather people that catch the virus traveling to the port just get on the ship, instead of keeping themselves and everyone else safe? A lot of people drive to the port, so they'd just drive home to quarantine, and if I test positive at the port then I know I'll get my cruise refund and and I simply spend the money on a hotel instead. Yep, it will be inconvenient, but I'd rather do that than cause an outbreak on a ship, which creates much more harm, or face an expensive and traumatic evacuation if at sea or a foreign port. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, rj59 said:

Would you rather people that catch the virus traveling to the port just get on the ship, instead of keeping themselves and everyone else safe?

Unless they're taking a really long way there - no one who got infected traveling to the ship will test positive at embarkation. Takes a couple days for the virus to replicate enough to be positive on a test. 

A study from a bit back said over half of the people that would eventually test positive were still getting a negative pcr 3 days after getting infected. Antigen tests need a higher load (which is also why they often don't catch asymptomatic people - which is why a lot of places will only give you the antigen test if you're symptomatic).

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Unless they're taking a really long way there - no one who got infected traveling to the ship will test positive at embarkation. Takes a couple days for the virus to replicate enough to be positive on a test. 

True, but many (most?) people will begin their travel a few days early and spend a few days at the port city before embarkation.  Testing everybody just before they get on the ship is not perfect, but it is better than testing three days before.  I think it makes sense to test everybody on embarkation day.  And if some passengers are worried that they may test positive and get stuck at the port city, they can get some piece of mind by also taking an inexpensive home test just before they travel.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

True, but many (most?) people will begin their travel a few days early and spend a few days at the port city before embarkation.  Testing everybody just before they get on the ship is not perfect, but it is better than testing three days before.  I think it makes sense to test everybody on embarkation day.  And if some passengers are worried that they may test positive and get stuck at the port city, they can get some piece of mind by also taking an inexpensive home test just before they travel.

Yeah, that takes away the stress all the way around. I just watched a video of the testing process for the NCL Encore in Seattle, and it looked reasonable and orderly, just going from room to room in a hotel, as on the Adventure when cruising resumed. Universal testing would also seem to cut down on confusion of having some with test results, some with the wrong kind of tests, some with no test results, and some with under 12 who need testing anyway. Another good use of home tests would be to take them on a cruise, since if you have slight symptoms and report them, your cabin will be quarantined until everyone is tested and results back, so  you avoid a cruise disruption or even worse, actually having Covid but mild symptoms and avoiding testing out of fear of quarantine. At one time there were companies making all sorts of quick home saliva tests, and Europe sells cheap antigen tests, to avoid cruises, travel, and socializing if you get a positive, but the FDA blocked attempts at quick, cheap, easy home tests in the US. 

5 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

RC is testing everyone over age two at the pier for the Jewel sailings from Cyprus and have been since they started.  Pretty much everyone on those sailings will have flown in and no significant reports of any issues, so RC already has precedent and track record for doing this and have shown it is practical.  They also provide this free of charge.  It's just going to be part of travelling and cruising life for some time to come I expect.

Edited by abo

6 hours ago, rj59 said:

A lot of people drive to the port, so they'd just drive home to quarantine, and if I test positive at the port then I know I'll get my cruise refund and and I simply spend the money on a hotel instead. Yep, it will be inconvenient, but I'd rather do that than cause an outbreak on a ship, which creates much more harm, or face an expensive and traumatic evacuation if at sea or a foreign port. 

A lot of people do drive to the port but I would be willing to bet that amount is less than 10% of the ship.  

I would rather test at home and if positive stay home.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royalnewbie said:

A lot of people do drive to the port but I would be willing to bet that amount is less than 10% of the ship.  

Even in normal times your figure is likely low, nowadays it's likely even further off (for East coast departures).

I just called RCL with the simple question - what happens if our PCR test appointment in Walgreens got cancelled and we won't be able to provide test results on our sailing day? The answer was - no problem, we'll test you at the pier. Sounds promising but I do not see any info about it on their website...

• Like 3

21 hours ago, rj59 said:

Perfect, just what I was hoping for....if people can get a test before the cruise, good for them, but have a paid option for those who need it at the port. If RC follows suit with Carnival, I'll be booking an Alaska and Mexico cruise right away. 

And that’s why RCCL will see that demand and probably follow the cdc recommendation and now 2 others cruise lines. 

29 minutes ago, cruiser101_1 said:

I just called RCL with the simple question - what happens if our PCR test appointment in Walgreens got cancelled and we won't be able to provide test results on our sailing day? The answer was - no problem, we'll test you at the pier. Sounds promising but I do not see any info about it on their website...

Don’t count on it, plenty of stories out there of people being sent home. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rj59 said:

NCL is testing everyone at the port. RCL tested everyone in the Bahamas. MSC tested everyone at the port, until they decided not to any more. RCL and others test kids at the port. Would you rather people that catch the virus traveling to the port just get on the ship, instead of keeping themselves and everyone else safe? A lot of people drive to the port, so they'd just drive home to quarantine, and if I test positive at the port then I know I'll get my cruise refund and and I simply spend the money on a hotel instead. Yep, it will be inconvenient, but I'd rather do that than cause an outbreak on a ship, which creates much more harm, or face an expensive and traumatic evacuation if at sea or a foreign port. 

I thought royal was only testing the unvaccinated children in bahamas.

NCL wants passengers to test either 48 hrs or 3 days before cruise.  Are they also retesting every passenger at terminal or just those that were unable to test?

No way do I wish to spend a couple thousand for hotel and food at a hotel that I am stuck to quarantine in hotel room.  So for now any cruise we book will be a drive to port only cruise, which really limits us since I live in PA.  

• Like 1