Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I pinched a nerve in my spine yesterday and wasn't sure if I would make dinner.   I could hardly stand up and came close to calling to get an acupuncture appointment (Never done that before).     Took some Tylenol and soaked in the bathroom Jacuzzi.    Still hurting I took some more Tylenol and a muscle relaxer.      Pain seemed to clear up.     While sitting in Retreat I was really feeling loopy and a couple of our friends commented on it.    After dinner when I got back to the room I realized I had take Tylenol PM instead of the regular.  

All I can say is  I slept like a rock  and 90% better this morning.    I'll have to take it easy on my walking today.

Pinched nerves can be so painful! Take care of yourself today! 

3 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

When you get off the ship in Lisbon you need to take a taxi directly to Pasteis de Belem to enjoy pastel de nata.  My mouth is watering as I type this...

image.thumb.jpeg.b7f5075eb1cf814084460753eeda9c79.jpeg

I will definitely write this down in my notebook of "Oh, the places you'll go!"

These look amazing especially when accompanied by a fabulous cup of coffee.

Don't mean to interrupt Jim's EXCELLENT review, but thought I could provide an answer to one of the questions.  I've sailed the EDGE in July and August....both times in a Sky Suite.  Both times my Butler asked what I wanted for afternoon snacks.  I don't have a sweet tooth.  So, I asked for shrimp cocktail, maybe finger sandwiches like BLTs or something similar.

They surprised every day.  I got a variety of finger sandwiches.  Probably had shrimp cocktail 2-3 times/week.  Got grilled chicken fingers a couple of times (which were excellent).

Jim...I agree with you.  If they can get you something you requested, they will.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

My understanding from the FAQ is Celebrity pays the cost of the flight back to FLL until the end of October.    After that I am sure they will reexamine.   It is being offered as a way to build customer confidence. 

My impression is that Celebrity promised the ports that they would guarantee that passengers left behind would be guaranteed a controlled way home: they would not be put on commercial flights while infected.  Similarly, I’d expect a promise not to overwhelm the local health system.

Depending on my level of illness I would expect to be returned to the nearest US hospital able to care for me.  Presumably close to the port of departure only because I already have transportation from there.  If not, then Celebrity would eventually get me to my port  debarkation, or travel insurance would.  

Ultimately, there are too many variables for an answer to be clear cut.   It certainly could be too that one cannot safely travel commercially within the continent, that too seems unanswered.  

Bottomline, hopefully no one ever has to learn the answers firsthand!   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Outside the OceanView on Port side there is a display that announce the Daily Special.

Today -   Gyro Station and Mediterranean Buffet

07B4A7CC-3F0D-4E71-8533-75066E2BF568.thumb.jpeg.52590ce54ddadcabbfe1d809d7a152ac.jpeg

8443DD68-0BC4-4731-BBB3-4ED7B24E8149.thumb.jpeg.83c1a5be07bde12a45d08fe036e6e206.jpeg

C85F6560-72B1-4773-B31A-9857D696A677.thumb.jpeg.9cf691ba0cd9604b6507f92cc0541637.jpeg

Wished they listed the ov lunch theme in the daily.

Inevitably, when I go up there to check, I'd stay to eat even if I didn't care for it vs the dining room.

(There's other stuff besides the daily special that I'll eat there)

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I don't recall seeing it but I didn't discover the TV camera until a couple days ago.   We have not been going  into the  OceanView due to limited social distancing at times.     I'll keep an eye out and post some more as I see them 

Tv camera?

4 hours ago, -Lew- said:

When you get off the ship in Lisbon you need to take a taxi directly to Pasteis de Belem to enjoy pastel de nata.  My mouth is watering as I type this...

image.thumb.jpeg.b7f5075eb1cf814084460753eeda9c79.jpeg

Agree 100% and make sure you get the cinnamon packet to go with them.   We were on a tour and the driver had a back door entrance so he got some for everyone on the tour to avoid the long line.  There had to have been 100 on line.

They are SOOOOOOO good.

• Like 3

Hello Jim!!

Quick wifi question ~ my parents are currently onboard and have had horrible wifi issues with their iPhones. 
They are supposed to have complimentary wifi but they found out early on that it’s limited to just texts between iPhone (Apple to Apple) from what the Internet cafe gentleman told them. which is fine because we both have Iphones - if that worked. But it doesn’t. 
Is this happening to most passengers onboard using their complimentary wifi privileges?

Thanks for the info and for your daily updates ~ it helps me keep track of their daily onboard Happenings without direct communication from them 🤗

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, I keep hoping to see someone respond. Given the small percentage of passengers who are CC members, and the very small number of positive cases, it's quite possible that none of the patients have been CC members. As you say, though, there's no harm in asking.

I know one person who was contact traced contact traced but it occurred from the test for B2B on the last sea day so.   She could not do the B2B and tested negative.    The person who had tested positive let the contract traced pax that she was the one.    I will check to see if she knows what happened once in back in FLL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MeMarcy said:

Hello Jim!!

Quick wifi question ~ my parents are currently onboard and have had horrible wifi issues with their iPhones. 
They are supposed to have complimentary wifi but they found out early on that it’s limited to just texts between iPhone (Apple to Apple) from what the Internet cafe gentleman told them. which is fine because we both have Iphones - if that worked. But it doesn’t. 
Is this happening to most passengers onboard using their complimentary wifi privileges?

Thanks for the info and for your daily updates ~ it helps me keep track of their daily onboard Happenings without direct communication from them 🤗

Both internet packages give you the ability to text (apple to apple) as well as facetime or WhatsApp.

Yesterday which is the 1/2 way point they offered a special price to upgrade.   I know someone who upgraded for I believe $10 per day remaining and then discounted by the CC discount , I will reconfirm when I see them later today.

I believe you can text someone with an android but it goes out via SMS.   

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Pinched nerves can be so painful! Take care of yourself today! 

I'm much better today.    Last night I could barely stand up from the sofa without sever pain but was pleased that it was 90% gone overnight.    I took it easy today and have only done 5 miles and no climbing the steps.   

It's really hot and humid today with overcast.   At about 2 1/2 miles I shifted to the hallways.   It gave me the opportunity so explore more of the ships interior.   Decks 7 and 8 total circle the ship and is about 1/3 mile per loop.  Decks 9, 10, 11 connect Aft but forward fork into 4 dead end hallways Forward. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Both internet packages give you the ability to text (apple to apple) as well as facetime or WhatsApp.

Yesterday which is the 1/2 way point they offered a special price to upgrade.   I know someone who upgraded for I believe $10 per day remaining and then discounted by the CC discount , I will reconfirm when I see them later today.

I believe you can text someone with an android but it goes out via SMS.   

Thank you so much Jim !!!

I appreciate all your info 🤗 

Enjoy Your Day!!! 

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm much better today.    Last night I could barely stand up from the sofa without sever pain but was pleased that it was 90% gone overnight.    I took it easy today and have only done 5 miles and no climbing the steps.   

It's really hot and humid today with overcast.   At about 2 1/2 miles I shifted to the hallways.   It gave me the opportunity so explore more of the ships interior.   Decks 7 and 8 total circle the ship and is about 1/3 mile per loop.  Decks 9, 10, 11 connect Aft but forward fork into 4 dead end hallways Forward. 

Glad to hear it re feeling better!  I love that you are taking it easy BUT still doing 5 miles!

Thanks for the info on walking route possibilities; hubby and I like to walk on ships as well (although we don’t put in the extent of mileage you do). When at home, I do 10,000 steps a day minimum plus exercise classes; on vacations  I prefer 15,000 steps a day to try to offset all the delicious food!

There have been quite a few posts speculating what would happen if someone tests positive. I assume that until October 31, the policy that Celebrity follows is the same as the policy Royal Caribbean follows. If that is the case, there was a thread about a month ago on the Royal Caribbean board from a woman who tested positive on the Adventure of the Seas. She relates her experience leaving the ship and being flown to her home. It appears that she was well taken care of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, amevola said:

Those sound like wonderful temps for me!.  My husband would like it a little warmer, but it will have to do.  He has no interest in an Alaska cruise whereas I would love to go.  Cruising to Joe means warm weather.  This is a good compromise.  LOL

We have been to Bermuda, and I have been to Cadiz.  Lisbon and Ponta Delgada are new to us.  Thank you for the endorsement of the Canaries.  We are so looking forward to going there.

Not to be a "downer" but I believe the ports in Portugal are closed to cruise ships now.  Hope I am incorrect.

20 minutes ago, PaulS said:

There have been quite a few posts speculating what would happen if someone tests positive. I assume that until October 31, the policy that Celebrity follows is the same as the policy Royal Caribbean follows. If that is the case, there was a thread about a month ago on the Royal Caribbean board from a woman who tested positive on the Adventure of the Seas. She relates her experience leaving the ship and being flown to her home. It appears that she was well taken care of.

Thank you, that is most informative. As her cruise was out of Nassau and not the US, there may be a slight difference in how things are handled, but it was interesting to note that they insisted on flying her home and NOT to FLL.

For some reason, the mods locked that thread the day it was opened, but the OP was able to open a Part 2 that was not shut down. There's a lot of additional information in the follow up thread:

1 hour ago, PaulS said:

there was a thread about a month ago on the Royal Caribbean board from a woman who tested positive on the Adventure of the Seas. She relates her experience leaving the ship and being flown to her home. It appears that she was well taken care of.

Interesting the Royal flew her back to her home state (and needed to see her enter her house) instead of fort Lauderdale where she left her car.

Edited by fstuff1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are happy you are feeling better!!  Never fun being in pain.

Foodie pic time

We ate at Sushi on 5, again.  Again, great food!!  We ordered off menu for a few items from requesting a few days before.  I had steak and fried rice.  Sophia had multiple dishes but not sure of all the names.  Even though she had only put her spoon in one of the dishes, I won’t post as I respect Jim’s comment about people posting pics of half eaten plates.  I will only post if not touched.  We placed another off menu order for the last night on this leg.

C6D0E7BE-AF42-434A-8880-4CD129AF1B29.jpeg

EEE81C70-5A54-4E1C-BFF2-32405D02D6F0.jpeg

5136E870-CB63-4148-9DF6-933A639EA275.jpeg

EE397571-289E-4E47-8D87-D729E58A7497.jpeg

2DA1D539-1567-43AB-83B2-585DBA9DF893.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After Sushi on 5 for dinner last night, went to Bacio for dessert.  Sophia had dessert from Sushi and I had Banana and Caramel Gelato in cone bowl with Reese’s pieces and marshmallows added.  Skipped lunch so I could splurge for dessert.  Alexandra, who oversees the Gelato area, is an artist with her serving.  She also relayed she has to taste test the Gelato everyday to ensure quality.  I asked if she needed any help.  Lots of the staff say the Pistachio gelato is the best.  Coffee (with dog) and white hot chocolate as well.

39077A9E-0106-414E-8ADB-9D004A79D29C.jpeg

6F56C560-E3F2-43BB-A2E1-65F39CBA322C.jpeg

F994E754-BDB1-4036-BC95-D93507E83402.jpeg

• Like 3