Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

Last set of pics.  I remember someone asking about the movie watching, so as we did our nightly walk on deck 14, we stopped by the movie area to take pics.  Seating is only on the benches or laying on the grass.  The Cabanas were blocked off.  Not a comfortable place to sit for a movie unless you brought other things with to make a more comfortable sitting arrangement.

D33704C7-8AD6-45DA-BB39-FDE30E7BABA5.jpeg

4C895304-5D8D-40CA-81CC-93BBBD3BB8A0.jpeg

2BDB2A6D-F520-43F6-83DA-0C5F0C7FDDC4.jpeg

• Like 4

Wow, sorry to read about your back issue.  As a fellow occasional sufferer, it can bring you to your knees pretty quickly.  The more it hurts when you walk, the more you bend to accommodate, and the more you bend, the more it hurts, and round and round you go.

Glad you were able to head it off somewhat.  If your back is like mine, it will send you very clear signals about what it will and won’t do....gets the upper hand pretty quickly.  I learned long ago just to give in and let it repair itself.  That’s funny that you took Tylenol PM!  I might have embarrassed myself and fallen asleep with my head on the table!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Wow, sorry to read about your back issue.  As a fellow occasional sufferer, it can bring you to your knees pretty quickly.  The more it hurts when you walk, the more you bend to accommodate, and the more you bend, the more it hurts, and round and round you go.

Glad you were able to head it off somewhat.  If your back is like mine, it will send you very clear signals about what it will and won’t do....gets the upper hand pretty quickly.  I learned long ago just to give in and let it repair itself.  That’s funny that you took Tylenol PM!  I might have embarrassed myself and fallen asleep with my head on the table!

Earlier this year I had a problem with it.   Getting old is a *****.    I went to a Chiropractor, even though I had never really believed in them.    After 6 sessions he told me my back was aligned perfectly and didn't need any more treatments.   True to form the last pain went away  

I have to say I must have gotten it under control quickly this time and back to normal.   I have a feeling the 94 flights of steps yesterday was the culprit so I avoided the stairs to Lawn Club and Forward  today.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, baggal said:

Not to be a "downer" but I believe the ports in Portugal are closed to cruise ships now.  Hope I am incorrect.

Correct.

The Silhouette cruises from Southampton to the Canary Islands are visiting Spain and the Spanish Islands only.

This is the itinerary changes for 18th October.

9F2C43D5-C600-4969-9756-8B76F5E0C0EC.thumb.jpeg.017a29615d0acecb68ee57d00c24f227.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

1 hour ago, funatseascott said:

We only walked around the pier shopping to get exercise, not 5 or 10 miles like Jim, but at least something.  Saw this crowded excursion and knew not taking an excursion today was the smart move.

5332C267-67C7-489F-B34C-1CA7C5B391EC.jpeg

I think there was a nicely developing group of shops as soon as folks got off the ship..no need to take a water taxi or taxi into Philipsburgh..with satellite shops

. Is that area still there ?  So much was destroyed in fairly recent hurricane..saw first hand on our last cruise there..but we still enjoy St Maarten.

I think you should post your gelato remarks with photo..food art..on the Gelato thread!  If not maybe I will!  Big diff between that and a scoop of ice cream!

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Earlier this year I had a problem with it.   Getting old is a *****.    I went to a Chiropractor, even though I had never really believed in them.    After 6 sessions he told me my back was aligned perfectly and didn't need any more treatments.   True to form the last pain went away  

I have to say I must have gotten it under control quickly this time and back to normal.   I have a feeling the 94 flights of steps yesterday was the culprit so I avoided the stairs to Lawn Club and Forward  today.   

Glad you are doing better...maybe some stretching, hot tub....the T pool,  or a gentle massage might help....find a good chair...something X not known for.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Don't mean to interrupt Jim's EXCELLENT review, but thought I could provide an answer to one of the questions.  I've sailed the EDGE in July and August....both times in a Sky Suite.  Both times my Butler asked what I wanted for afternoon snacks.  I don't have a sweet tooth.  So, I asked for shrimp cocktail, maybe finger sandwiches like BLTs or something similar.

They surprised every day.  I got a variety of finger sandwiches.  Probably had shrimp cocktail 2-3 times/week.  Got grilled chicken fingers a couple of times (which were excellent).

Jim...I agree with you.  If they can get you something you requested, they will.  

When is your next cruise? Wanted to ask so I can put in a leave from work to get ready for all the review reading!😁

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

When is your next cruise? Wanted to ask so I can put in a leave from work to get ready for all the review reading!😁

You are kind.  You're also a glutten for punishment.  We're heading to Alaska next month, but on NCL's Encore.  If interested, you can catch me over there.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Dinner last night at Luminae.     Really couldn't find much of interest on either Luminae or Main Dining rooms menu.   We ordered the Petite Fillet from the children's menu.

How interesting.  That is one of  my favorite Luminae menu's.  The Spinach Salad and the Lamb Shank being near the top of my list of foods I really like at Luminae.   

Full disclosure:  My wife does not like the smell of lamb so when we eat out is the only opportunity I get to eat it unless I grill it up outside and cook something else for her.  So when they offer lamb on a cruise ship, I almost always order it. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Private Journey

We had a little misunderstand between the  Tour desk, myself and the  Retreat Concierge.   Originally we were told that private tours were not permitted in St. Kitts so chose St Maarten.  

That is wonderful news.  

We loved St. Kits when we visited there. A friend of mine and he wife lived there and came to the ship and picked us up and took us all over the island when we visited there  They are members of a private club and we went there for excellent scenery, food, conversation, and drinks.   Looking forward to going back and hoping to meet up with them again, if they are not off traveling like they were on our last visit. 

2 hours ago, funatseascott said:

After Sushi on 5 for dinner last night, went to Bacio for dessert.  Sophia had dessert from Sushi and I had Banana and Caramel Gelato in cone bowl with Reese’s pieces and marshmallows added.  Skipped lunch so I could splurge for dessert.  Alexandra, who oversees the Gelato area, is an artist with her serving.  She also relayed she has to taste test the Gelato everyday to ensure quality.  I asked if she needed any help.  Lots of the staff say the Pistachio gelato is the best.  Coffee (with dog) and white hot chocolate as well.

Pistachio gelato is my favorite as well.  

If this talk keeps up, I may have to drive 30 miles to have some gelto.

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

If by then you'll be allowed to tour by yourselves during you stop in Lisbon, we used this company and it was much fun:

https://wehatetourismtours.com/

Thanks so much, Dani!  I have heard of the company, but I haven't started my research on that port yet.  I will go and bookmark the site now.

4 hours ago, baggal said:

Not to be a "downer" but I believe the ports in Portugal are closed to cruise ships now.  Hope I am incorrect.

You aren't being a downer, baggal. 😊 

I should clarify that the Beyond TA we are taking is next year, October 2022.  Hopefully, all will be well by then.

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Correct.

The Silhouette cruises from Southampton to the Canary Islands are visiting Spain and the Spanish Islands only.

This is the itinerary changes for 18th October.

9F2C43D5-C600-4969-9756-8B76F5E0C0EC.thumb.jpeg.017a29615d0acecb68ee57d00c24f227.jpeg

Thankfully, we will not be taking the TA on Beyond until October 2022. 😁

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Did you stop in to Craft Social..looks so cozy. ?

Yes but it was around 11:00 AM and almost empty.    I think there was 1 or 2 there.     The TV's were all tuned to Sports -  Not sure if they were live -  Being Monday morning I doubt it.

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

LOL -- I'm sure it's not me but all of our wonderful CC members who are living vicariously with  live reviews as we get ready to return to cruising.  

I'm happy to say I feel relatively safe, but continue to wear my mask always inside except when eating and drinking.   The nice thing is no one is making anyone feel uncomfortable if  you choose to wear or not wear a mask.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, hcat said:

I think there was a nicely developing group of shops as soon as folks got off the ship..no need to take a water taxi or taxi into Philipsburgh..with satellite shops

. Is that area still there ?  So much was destroyed in fairly recent hurricane..saw first hand on our last cruise there..but we still enjoy St Maarten.

I think you should post your gelato remarks with photo..food art..on the Gelato thread!  If not maybe I will!  Big diff between that and a scoop of ice cream!

The shop area at the pier is nice, when full, but not even half open today.  Tried taking a picture from the retreat deck of the shopping area.  Not the best, but best I can do today.

We have come to St Maarten twice this year and the Dutch side is mostly back.  The French side is still not looking great. This is our favorite island so felt sad we couldn’t explore on our own.

I’m only posting here to help give more info as I’m not a blogger.  Go ahead and post the gelato pic elsewhere.

8106A286-38D2-4EA8-AF5F-D83EF64FD7CE.jpeg

3E6F6A7F-52C0-4B13-A4C0-09B4A1A2876C.jpeg

We didn't get off the ship  today in St. Maarten.   The pier really didn't excite us much.    Instead we had a fun lunch with other 3 couples.    Fun to just relax and  stuff our faces.

It is just after 6:15 and we have set sail.    Really kind of strange departure.    Grandeur of the Sea (looking like a ghost ship) was parked next to us all day and about 5:30 it departed turned around and then redocked about 2 piers away.     We had to wait for them to get docked before we could leave.

The sun finally broke through, just in time for our sail away.

F3D6740B-3287-430C-B5E2-37BC1791C478.thumb.jpeg.aea75f788e2e4e7715f643bb061db2f4.jpeg

4DE5B343-97E4-4801-9103-253D527E09D5.thumb.jpeg.e155edba00297a18007ddba1d1ee625a.jpeg

08EA6197-8244-4B92-BC2C-C3ADDF4E684B.thumb.jpeg.c403a37d2ecf00464e08f5d225db23f1.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

On my walk today I went down to the 6th floor where it was reported that many were moved from.

It appears that crew have taken about 1/3 of the cabins and have signs on the door -  Night Shift etc.

Almost all the rooms have the small OV cocktail tables adjacent to their  door.   It looks like they may have reserved many of these rooms in case of quarantine.    All the doors of the unoccupied rooms were open and they were fumigating the rooms and deep cleaning.

97197CEA-9B8A-46F3-A41E-ECF2209F9A67.thumb.jpeg.25c3318c29fe24dd35d38f88b656c4ce.jpeg

1932DD60-073C-4B68-AFC2-063787BD4B46.thumb.jpeg.04b53e0afa70bff05405e65d61c9d034.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL -- I'm sure it's not me but all of our wonderful CC members who are living vicariously with  live reviews as we get ready to return to cruising.  

I'm happy to say I feel relatively safe, but continue to wear my mask always inside except when eating and drinking.   The nice thing is no one is making anyone feel uncomfortable if  you choose to wear or not wear a mask.  

We are more than ready...look for us at the Sunset Bar at sailaway  on  9/17!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

GRANDEUR has been there for quite some time.  Wonder what ROYAL’S plans are for her?

It looked like they were doing maintenance on her.  Earlier today they had scaffolding on one of the verandas but  was gone before they did their departure and arrival.     It looks like there is another ship sitting off shore.   Hasn't moved all day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

On my walk today I went down to the 6th floor where it was reported that many were moved from.

It appears that crew have taken about 1/3 of the cabins and have signs on the door -  Night Shift etc.

Almost all the rooms have the small OV cocktail tables adjacent to their  door.   It looks like they may have reserved many of these rooms in case of quarantine.    All the doors of the unoccupied rooms were open and they were fumigating the rooms and deep cleaning.

97197CEA-9B8A-46F3-A41E-ECF2209F9A67.thumb.jpeg.25c3318c29fe24dd35d38f88b656c4ce.jpeg

1932DD60-073C-4B68-AFC2-063787BD4B46.thumb.jpeg.04b53e0afa70bff05405e65d61c9d034.jpeg

Yikes!  On our November 7 cruise we are on the 6th deck...unless they move us between now and then.