Are HAL Port returnees ‘Happy’??

LocoLoco1

13 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

All Alaskan ports that I visited last week were great!  Everyone I encountered was happy that cruising had returned, even if in a reduced fashion.  The sun was even shining when we left Ketchikan.  Have never seen anything but rain before.

That is rare to see sunshine in Ketchikan!

• Like 1

Reports from Europe so far are that people are free to get off the ship and do their own thing.  That could change of course since that’s subject to covid and country regulations depending on developments.  But so far, all is good.

• Like 1

I am wondering if we are going to see some changes w the Delta Var raging.  I see they closed the Santa Barbara port to cruise ships in CA.  I also see that Alaska's Covid numbers going up and Juneau and Sitka are back to 50% plus masks indoors.  Now we also see the EU removed the US from it's safe list.  Wish now I would've been on that first cruise to Alaska.  Still hoping it goes in a few weeks, but who knows. 

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

That is rare to see sunshine in Ketchikan!

Well in Ketchikan they measure the rainfall in feet not inches.

In Ketchikan the baseball diamonds have gravel between the bases not dirt.

In Ketchikan when they get a sunny day they call it blue clouds

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We enjoyed our Alaska cruise both on-board and ashore. Other than the Alaskan government requesting us to mask up when indoors and using public transportation no one ever dictated what we could do.

Can't wait and we don't plan on being indoors any more than we have to!

On 9/1/2021 at 12:18 PM, AKJonesy said:

I am wondering if we are going to see some changes w the Delta Var raging.  I see they closed the Santa Barbara port to cruise ships in CA.  I also see that Alaska's Covid numbers going up and Juneau and Sitka are back to 50% plus masks indoors.  Now we also see the EU removed the US from it's safe list.  Wish now I would've been on that first cruise to Alaska.  Still hoping it goes in a few weeks, but who knows. 

I heard a rumor on some of the roll calls that Avalon might be canceling as well...this doesn't leave a whole lot of stops on the Pacific Coastal cruises.

On 9/1/2021 at 12:18 PM, AKJonesy said:

Now we also see the EU removed the US from it's safe list.  

The EU announcement was a recommendation to their member countries. Each country decides on their own if/how visitors from the US can enter.  

Alaska was wonderful. Masks pretty much universally worn on tours, in shops/restaurants, etc. Open for both HAL and independent excursions and exploring the ports. We were 100% happy with everything. Can't wait to be back on a dam ship.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zgscl said:

I heard a rumor on some of the roll calls that Avalon might be canceling as well...this doesn't leave a whole lot of stops on the Pacific Coastal cruises.

Source ?

This one still has ships scheduled.

https://www.lovecatalina.com/community-information/catalina-cruise-ship-schedule/

1 minute ago, Boatdrill said:

It was either the Oct 10 or Oct 31st roll call. It was purely speculation, but Avalon has had no tours available for booking on either sailing. Interesting the Catalina island schedule shows KDAM on 10/23 however HAL website has Avalon scheduled 10/11. With Santa Barbara cancelling I imagine they are reworking everything but I have always found it suspect they had no shore excursions whatsoever.

I will add that it appears many cruisers are going on ship excursions for the main reason of trusting that health safety protocols will be followed.

Who knows, if private excursions proprietors are vaccinated, been exposed, tested etc. and many are desperate for income and are they looking out for our safety and welfare?

My basis for this opinion is the presence of lack of private excursions request on Roll Calls for our booked cruises.  Plus on our recent cruise many ship excursions were full and we were waitlisted. Maybe other cruisers Roll Calls are different?

Choices?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Who knows, if private excursions proprietors are vaccinated, been exposed, tested etc. and many are desperate for income and are they looking out for our safety and welfare?

My basis for this opinion is the presence of lack of private excursions request on Roll Calls for our booked cruises.  Plus on our recent cruise many ship excursions were full and we were waitlisted. Maybe other cruisers Roll Calls are different?

I have to disagree with this but you and I are doing different itineraries.

We are doing a couple of private tours in Europe and I can tell you with certainty that the guides are vaccinated and implementing covid protocols in their vans (less people), etc.  (At least in our cases).  I believe it is a requirement in the EU to be a guide.

there are plenty of posts regarding private tours and DIY and interest on our roll calls in Europe.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

I have to disagree with this but you and I are doing different itineraries.

We are doing a couple of private tours in Europe and I can tell you with certainty that the guides are vaccinated and implementing covid protocols in their vans (less people), etc.  (At least in our cases).  I believe it is a requirement in the EU to be a guide.

there are plenty of posts regarding private tours and DIY and interest on our roll calls in Europe.  

I concur as we are booking several private excursions next year. I should have emphasized our experiences are about these early 2021 cruises 

• Like 1

We were on the first two weeks of the Eurodam in Greece last month.  There were no restrictions in getting off the ship to roam freely or take a private excursion including the stops in Kotor and Cyprus.  You did have to take your vaccination card with you when going ashore just in case.  As it turned out we were asked to show our vaccination card at 3-4 different sites and museums upon entry.  Shops required masks for entry and most restaurants were using outdoor seating only.  HAL excursions required masks to be worn while on the tour buses.  Some museums and shops had capacity restrictions.  The itinerary did change due to surges in different countries.  Nothing HAL can do about that.  Just plan to be flexible and enjoy!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, aliaschief said:

I will add that it appears many cruisers are going on ship excursions for the main reason of trusting that health safety protocols will be followed.

Or perhaps fear that conditions will change and they will be required to take a shorex through the ship -- so they are proactively booking them as a "just in case" measure (i.e., so as not to miss out on an excursion that matches up with their interests).