Question- Monoclonal Antibodies onboard?

bandp407

Hello Fellow Cruisers~

Does anyone onboard any of the Celebrity ships know if the Medical Department has availability of Monoclonal Antibodies? This is being used for those  testing positive & presenting with symptoms. Many who have been treated shortly after exposure have had great improvement. It’s simply a series of shots & is still free , paid by the federal government. Perhaps if someone onboard can check with the Medical staff it would be appreciated. It also will  provide an added level of comfort for those sailing now & in the very near future,  or those on the fence about sailing with the Delta variant spiking.

Thank you!🛳

Paula

2 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Hello Fellow Cruisers~

Does anyone onboard any of the Celebrity ships know if the Medical Department has availability of Monoclonal Antibodies? This is being used for those  testing positive & presenting with symptoms. Many who have been treated shortly after exposure have had great improvement. It’s simply a series of shots & is still free , paid by the federal government. Perhaps if someone onboard can check with the Medical staff it would be appreciated. It also will  provide an added level of comfort for those sailing now & in the very near future,  or those on the fence about sailing with the Delta variant spiking.

Thank you!🛳

Paula

I assume you mean the federal US government? I wonder if that includes foreign clients.

20 minutes ago, Cg52 said:

I assume you mean the federal US government? I wonder if that includes foreign clients.

Yes, sorry, the US government. A good question re foreign clients. I am not sure if this is even an option or interest for Celebrity,  but wanted to put it out there.

19 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I suspect the answer will be no.  Celebrity's protocol for people testing positive is to disembark them as soon as possible and get them transported home.

I hear you & understand how they have been operating. Just wanted to put the question out there. Celebrity may have already given thought to this, but opted not to offer it. 

Monoclonal antibody therapy is not quite as simple as the OP posted. There are several  different combos, and not all are as effective against the current strain. It is not usually administered as "a series of shots" but as an intravenous infusion. And it is not indicated for everyone, but for those with symptoms AND at high risk for development of severe disease. Plus, therapy can be delayed by several days, unlike some antivirals that have a very short window of opportunity. And current policy is to disembark all positive cases at the next port. So I think it unlikely that they would carry this treatment.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, mom says said:

Monoclonal antibody therapy is not quite as simple as the OP posted. There are several  different combos, and not all are as effective against the current strain. It is not usually administered as "a series of shots" but as an intravenous infusion. And it is not indicated for everyone, but for those with symptoms AND at high risk for development of severe disease. Plus, therapy can be delayed by several days, unlike some antivirals that have a very short window of opportunity. And current policy is to disembark all positive cases at the next port. So I think it unlikely that they would carry this treatment.

My fully vaccinated hubby is recovering from COVID. While otherwise healthy he does have mild COPD and had heart bypass surgery in 2018. I wish he could have at least tried Monoclonal Antibody Therapy when he went to the ER and was diagnosed with Covid but it wasn't offered there or by our Primary Dr. I can't help but wonder if it may have kept him from developing Pneumonia and spending 6 days in the hospital. I will say that the Remdesivir Infusions he rec'd in the hospital made a huge difference and thankfully, he's on the road to recovery. I do agree that I doubt that any cruise line would offer treatment like this. 

9 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

My fully vaccinated hubby is recovering from COVID. While otherwise healthy he does have mild COPD and had heart bypass surgery in 2018. I wish he could have at least tried Monoclonal Antibody Therapy when he went to the ER and was diagnosed with Covid but it wasn't offered there or by our Primary Dr. I can't help but wonder if it may have kept him from developing Pneumonia and spending 6 days in the hospital. I will say that the Remdesivir Infusions he rec'd in the hospital made a huge difference and thankfully, he's on the road to recovery. I do agree that I doubt that any cruise line would offer treatment like this. 

I wonder if on TAs, or other cruises with several days between ports, if the ship will be better equipped than those in the Caribbean or other regions with easy access to ports. 

2 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Yes, sorry, the US government. A good question re foreign clients. I am not sure if this is even an option or interest for Celebrity,  but wanted to put it out there.

It may be free in the US, but cruise lines medical clinics do not process insurance claims.  They provide you with the bill (unless you have insurance from the cruise line) and it is up to you to make a claim from your insurance company. Coverage would depend upon how they cover medical care outside of the US.  The monoclonal antibodies are a relatively expensive therapy. For example the government signed a contract with Lilly for $1250 per dose.  No way to tell what the medical center on the cruise ship would charge.

1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Glad he is recovering.   Was his treatment such that you knew it was the remdesivir that helped and not something else?

The ships are not floating hospitals and like mentioned if situation comes up they disembark the passenger and get them home. If thinking of worse case scenarios probably best not to cruise.  I’m vaccinated and as much as covid is out there I’m not worried.  Very healthy never been on any type of medication in my 50 plus years, besides penicillin when I was really sick, and get yearly physicals and derm dentist appts.  My partner is the same.  Maybe we are lucky in that fact overall. 

8 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

The ships are not floating hospitals and like mentioned if situation comes up they disembark the passenger and get them home. If thinking of worse case scenarios probably best not to cruise.  I’m vaccinated and as much as covid is out there I’m not worried.  Very healthy never been on any type of medication in my 50 plus years, besides penicillin when I was really sick, and get yearly physicals and derm dentist appts.  My partner is the same.  Maybe we are lucky in that fact overall. 

How do you get someone home if sick with covid?  Throw them on a plane filled with healthy people?  Would really like to know. 

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I understand most travel insurance doesn't cover covid so what kind of bill are you looking at for a private jet?

Until Oct 31 it's at Celebrity's expense.  I believe in most cases it's been private air ambulance even for people with minor symptoms.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I understand most travel insurance doesn't cover covid so what kind of bill are you looking at for a private jet?

Have to get supplementary insurance covering only that.  It's not horribly expensive since they don't have to cover cruise costs, etc.  Many offer both annual and per trip coverage.  One mentioned around here with some frequency is MedJet.  There are others.

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

Have to get supplementary insurance covering only that.  It's not horribly expensive since they don't have to cover cruise costs, etc.  Many offer both annual and per trip coverage.  One mentioned around here with some frequency is MedJet.  There are others.

I’ll just add that MedJet is for hospital-to-hospital transfer after you’ve been treated at nearest adequate facility. There are still a few caveats. Anyone interested can find details on their website.

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

GeoBlue, contrary to something I read here recently, does offer plans that cover C-19, including 'evacuation'.  Of course, there's always the fine print about medical necessity, etc., but that's true with many of them.

You need to re-examine GeoBlue coverage.  It does not cover evacuation for Covid.

From the FAQ section.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

I was just on their site again as well.  I said that GeoBlue "does offer plans" that cover it.  I did not say that ALL of their plans cover it.

Go back to the web site again, and check the Xplorer/Navigator plans.

I have an Xplorer/Navigator plan. Am I covered for medical evacuations related to COVID-19?

Medical evacuation coverage and restrictions vary by product. If your plan provides coverage for medical evacuation, the medical evacuation would be covered under the following circumstances:

- Sudden accident or unforeseen* illness that leads to a recommendation for medical evacuation by the local attending physician.

- Medical evacuation is medically necessary and subject to approval by our physicians in consultation with the attending physician

- Medical evacuation is advisable i.e. the patient is stable enough to travel, noting that evacuation is always to the nearest capable facility

- Evacuation is practically possible (e.g., with due consideration of origin and destination government rules and restrictions, the availability of commercial air ambulance providers and a receiving facility)

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

I was just on their site again as well.  I said that GeoBlue "does offer plans" that cover it.  I did not say that ALL of their plans cover it.

Go back to the web site again, and check the Xplorer/Navigator plans.

I have an Xplorer/Navigator plan. Am I covered for medical evacuations related to COVID-19?

Medical evacuation coverage and restrictions vary by product. If your plan provides coverage for medical evacuation, the medical evacuation would be covered under the following circumstances:

- Sudden accident or unforeseen* illness that leads to a recommendation for medical evacuation by the local attending physician.

- Medical evacuation is medically necessary and subject to approval by our physicians in consultation with the attending physician

- Medical evacuation is advisable i.e. the patient is stable enough to travel, noting that evacuation is always to the nearest capable facility

- Evacuation is practically possible (e.g., with due consideration of origin and destination government rules and restrictions, the availability of commercial air ambulance providers and a receiving facility)

Xplorer/Navigator plans are long term plans designed for people to be out of the country for 3 months or more and are not the typical plans purchased by cruise passengers.

• Like 1

As I noted, some offer plans for "both annual and per trip coverage."  There are some folks that travel enough that they effectively pay by the year.  There are definitely some here at CC that would probably make out on an annual basis!

It really does require a ton of shopping to come up with something that makes sense.  Hardest of all seems to be finding an 'all inclusive' that covers normal trip insurance with a COVID rider.  Some offer these plans, but not in every state.  For example, we have friends whose Allianz policy covers COVID, but we can't get that policy here in Colorado.

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

As I noted, some offer plans for "both annual and per trip coverage."  There are some folks that travel enough that they effectively pay by the year.  There are definitely some here at CC that would probably make out on an annual basis!

It really does require a ton of shopping to come up with something that makes sense.  Hardest of all seems to be finding an 'all inclusive' that covers normal trip insurance with a COVID rider.  Some offer these plans, but not in every state.  For example, we have friends whose Allianz policy covers COVID, but we can't get that policy here in Colorado.

Trekker is the annual plan for typical cruisers and it does not cover evacuation.  The plans you cite are intended for people that live overseas for at least 3 months and are not designed to be an annual travel policy.