Rccl now requires a covid19 test within 2 days of sailing!

DJChick

Rccl just updated their website to document their new testing requirements with all cruises beginning on September 13th.

They are now following the same CDC recommendation for testing 2 days out like the other major cruise lines announced a few days earlier this week.

Just wanted to update everyone with this new requirement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anton said:

I've been expecting them to do it with the Friday afternoon email, a RCI tradition.  So they are going to sell the online test kits.

Haven’t received any emails. Where did you see info about RCCL a selling online kits? I did see Celebrity notice that they will sell kits. 

• Like 1

C.D.C. Change in COVID-19 Testing Requirement

The U.S. CDC has revised their pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirement for all cruises departing U.S. ports from September 13th, 2021.

Vaccinated guests must present a negative PCR or antigen test result taken no more than 2 days prior to sailing in order to board. (Previously, it was 3 days.) Check out our new, easy, and convenient at-home test below.

Unvaccinated children ages 2 to 11 must present a negative PCR test result taken no more than 3 days prior to sailing in order to board. (Antigen tests are no longer accepted.) There continues to be no testing
required for guests under age 2.

Your test result must be issued by an accredited test provider and show a laboratory negative result that can be printed out or shown on your phone. Test cost continues to be the guest's responsibility. Learn about accepted tests at RoyalCaribbean.com/Test.

Starting Wednesday, September 8th, fully vaccinated guests can order at-home test kits, shipped right to your door (anywhere in the U.S.) in two business days or less. Complete your pre-cruise test at home, with live video supervision by a Certified Guide. Get your results in 15 minutes.
Visit RoyalCaribbean.com/HomeTestKit.

The remainder of our health and safety protocols remain unchanged.
Visit RoyalCaribbean.com/Health for all of our health
protocols & additional details.

If you have questions about these protocols or have any concerns about sailing as a result of them, please contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1 (800) 256-6649. We’re here to answer your questions or work with you on additional options as we get you ready for your vacation.

LEARN MORE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, royalnewbie said:

online store opening Sept 8 to order the at home proctored test kits.  

Get them on your own.  there is going to be a huge run on them now.  You never know.

Sad thing is I ordered mine Yesterday afternoon and had the six pack by 10:30 this morning.  I could have walked to the place that make then here in Scarborough Maine but they don't sell them out of the plant.

I can tell you this my sons best friend is a supervisor at this facility and they are EXTREMELY short on help to manufacture test strips.  They laid off so many workers prematurely and cannot hire the workers they need to keep up with demand.  GET YOUR TESTS ASAP if you need them.  

Edited by ticketsunlimited
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

The U.S. CDC has revised their pre-cruise COVID-19 testing requirement for all cruises departing U.S. ports from September 13th, 2021.

Vaccinated guests must present a negative PCR or antigen test result taken no more than 2 days prior to sailing in order to board. (Previously, it was 3 days.) Check out our new, easy, and convenient at-home test below.

Unvaccinated children ages 2 to 11 must present a negative PCR test result taken no more than 3 days prior to sailing in order to board. (Antigen tests are no longer accepted.) There continues to be no testing

Your test result must be issued by an accredited test provider and show a laboratory negative result that can be printed out or shown on your phone. Test cost continues to be the guest's responsibility. Learn about accepted tests at RoyalCaribbean.com/Test.

Starting Wednesday, September 8th, fully vaccinated guests can order at-home test kits, shipped right to your door (anywhere in the U.S.) in two business days or less. Complete your pre-cruise test at home, with live video supervision by a Certified Guide. Get your results in 15 minutes.

If you have questions about these protocols or have any concerns about sailing as a result of them, please contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1 (800) 256-6649. We’re here to answer your questions or work with you on additional options as we get you ready for your vacation.

LEARN MORE

Wonder the price?

No email here. Rcl is the worst at communication. I have to come to cc to know I'm cancelled or new protocols. They really should email everyone eve  if you used a travel agent. 

• Like 3

Surprised at the PCR requirement for under 12s, I have a hard time imagining there are many places in the US capable of returning PCR results within  three days right now. Arranging different tests for under 12 versus over 12 is also confusing and will likely lead to many families being turned away at port.

• Like 4

Just now, ticketsunlimited said:

Get them on your own.  there is going to be a huge run on them now.  You never know.

Sad thing is I ordered mine Yesterday afternoon and had the six pack by 10:30 this morning.  I could have walked to the place the make then her in Scarborough Maine but they don't sell them out of the plant.

I can tell you this my sons best friend is a supervisor at this facility and the are EXTREMELY short on help to manufacture test strips.  They laid off so many workers prematurely and cannot hire the workers they need to keep up with demand.  GET YOUR TESTS ASAP if you need them.  

Agreed, I have my 8 needed tests already.  Our county library gives them out for free and yes they are the proctored AG Card tests by Abbott.

• Like 2

This is a problem because our local testing sites are averaging 2.5 days to return the PCR test results.  The few places that offer the 2-hour rapid antigen test sometimes pull a switch and give you the PCR test when you show up for your appointment.  I see the BinaxNow AG card test as the "only" reliable option.  And those are in tight supply right now.  

The biggest concern would be for children under 12 where they now require a PCR test as the only option.  If you have children, I think your only option is to cancel the cruise because the chance of getting a PCR test back in 3 days is no better than a coin flip.  

• Like 2

2 days is OK.  Getting a test before leaving home is the only way for me.  I'm not going to waste the plane ticket and a day of travel if my at-home test says I won't be cruising.  Waiting until I'm at the port is akin to wearing rose colored glasses.  

Even if RCI does implement testing at the pier, I will still test myself before hopping on the plane.  A positive test at home means my Air2Sea ticket and my Cruise fare gets refunded.  Failing at the pier means I've wasted a plane ticket, and I have to find a way back home without using that return ticket.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

LEARN MORE

I wonder how much they will cost?

4 minutes ago, corthaus said:

Surprised at the PCR requirement for under 12s, I have a hard time imagining there are many places in the US capable of returning PCR results within  three days right now. Arranging different tests for under 12 versus over 12 is also confusing and will likely lead to many families being turned away at port.

It sounds like they're trying to discourage the under 12 children from Sailing

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

none

Maybe they'll consider requiring testing 2 days and the day prior lol.   At least they're keeping the masking protocols to ensure safety across the board....oh wait - I didn't wear one on the Edge.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gmerick said:

I'm not going to waste the plane ticket and a day of travel if my at-home test says I won't be cruising.

We are in the opposite situation as our air fare to San Juan is already purchased and two night hotel stay is paid for. We will get to our hotel and then have to take the test. If we fail we are screwed.

Edited by Sea Dog

9 minutes ago, orville99 said:

This effectively kills the PCR test option. There's going to be a run on the Abbot test kits. Ours from eMed showed up via FedEx about an hour ago.

The email says the tests will be available to order on the 8th, but as you point out, they can be ordered now.  Anyone see a downside to ordering them now?

Edited to add: looks like only the 'six pack' is available right now on the web site...

Edited by DandDM