Movies on Cruises

Minna22

19 minutes ago, Minna22 said:

How can we find out which movies will be showing on our cruise?  It's only three weeks until we sail, I'd like to NOT see the ones they'll show on board.

Generally, if you call the cruise line, they can tell you.  But they're not always correct.  

34 minutes ago, Minna22 said:

How can we find out which movies will be showing on our cruise?  It's only three weeks until we sail, I'd like to NOT see the ones they'll show on board.

I'm confused. If you don't want to see them then why do you care what will be shown?

38 minutes ago, Minna22 said:

Good question.  Timing might be good to ask someone currently on the same cruise?  Might work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

I think they mean the don't want to see the ones being shown onboard before they take their cruise.

I agree with you but I still don't get it. And I'm not being deliberately obtuse.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

I agree with you but I still don't get it. And I'm not being deliberately obtuse.

They do not want to watch the movie before they board the ship.  That way it will be new as opposed to a 'rerun' when they watch it on the cruise.   

8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

They do not want to watch the movie before they board the ship.  That way it will be new as opposed to a 'rerun' when they watch it on the cruise.   

OMG, I WAS missing it totally.! Thanks. Since we rarely watch movies I just didn't get it.

17 hours ago, Minna22 said:

I'd be surprised if they would be showing just released movies as a featured movie of the day/evening.

If your ship has an interactive TV system, the number of movies available will boggle your mind!  One could spend an entire cruise watching the movies and TV programs available.  

Watching a movie on the big screen on an outer deck just isn't the same for me as watching a movie in a theater.  

Just from our own experience ....................

The sound quality of "Movies Under the Stars" is pretty poor.

It doesn't detract from action movies, but it's pretty pointless to try to watch a movie which relies heavily on dialogue because much of it is unintelligible. 

So - even if you know that such a movie will be shown - should you have the opportunity to watch it before your cruise, I suggest you take it.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:05 PM, Minna22 said:

It will depend on which cruise line you are sailing with, as our preferred line about a hundred films available. All available for free on the cabin TV, with some shown in the Theatre or up on the pool deck on the big screen, with headphones for the audio.

Suggest asking on the Board for your cruise line.

39 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

It will depend on which cruise line you are sailing with, as our preferred line about a hundred films available. All available for free on the cabin TV, with some shown in the Theatre or up on the pool deck on the big screen, with headphones for the audio.

Suggest asking on the Board for your cruise line.

Then you must not be sailing on RCI...because there aren't that many and their pay per view usually around $12.00. We bring our Firestick, universal remote, HDMI cable and watch Netflix & Amazon Prime.

44 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Then you must not be sailing on RCI...because there aren't that many and their pay per view usually around $12.00. We bring our Firestick, universal remote, HDMI cable and watch Netflix & Amazon Prime.

Wow, US $12 to watch a film. That's bordering on theft😁

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 9:13 AM, Ashland said:

Agree.  $12 for a movie on the cabin TV is kind of kind of high.  

I used to enjoy watching a movie in the main theater on a lazy sea day afternoon.

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I used to enjoy watching a movie in the main theater on a lazy sea day afternoon.

I do too.  And, the Wajang Theaters on the HAL ships that had them were not my local movie theaters, but, served their purpose quite well.  (I learned the location of my favorite seats for an unobstructed view of the screen.)  The popcorn provided was an "extra added attraction".

On 9/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, Heidi13 said:

Wow, US $12 to watch a film. That's bordering on theft😁

Whatever the amount for a watching a film in one's stateroom, it's nothing more than a "money grab" by the cruise line.  I was very surprised when I had to pay to watch a movie in my suite as a MSC Yacht Club guest.  The price was, I recall, $5--which was less than what I would have paid to view the movie locally--but, it's the principle of the charge.  It was a movie that I really wanted to see and it did not "stick around" locally long enough for me to get to a theater.  So, I paid the fee.  I did enjoy the movie!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I do too.  And, the Wajang Theaters on the HAL ships that had them were not my local movie theaters, but, served their purpose quite well.  (I learned the location of my favorite seats for an unobstructed view of the screen.)  The popcorn provided was an "extra added attraction".

Our movie theaters have evolved to recliners and high tech sound systems.   Pretty hard to compete with that.  With all the money I pay our cable company I should feel guilty going to a movie house.  haha.    

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

With all the money I pay our cable company I should feel guilty going to a movie house.  haha.   

No Haha by me!  Don't like to pay for my cable bill, but I do like the programs that I am able to watch.  The expense is worth it for me.   I can make popcorn at home, but, it never seems the same as the well buttered popcorn that I buy (at an exorbitant price) when I go to a movie theater.  

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Our movie theaters have evolved to recliners

My Laz-z-Boy has some years on it, but is just as comfortable as any recliner in any local theater.  

Does your theaters "assign seats" in the theater?  Mine do and I surely don't like that.  Let me get into the theater and allow me to choose where I sit!  

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

No Haha by me!  Don't like to pay for my cable bill, but I do like the programs that I am able to watch.  The expense is worth it for me.   I can make popcorn at home, but, it never seems the same as the well buttered popcorn that I buy (at an exorbitant price) when I go to a movie theater.  

My Laz-z-Boy has some years on it, but is just as comfortable as any recliner in any local theater.  

Does your theaters "assign seats" in the theater?  Mine do and I surely don't like that.  Let me get into the theater and allow me to choose where I sit!  

We are able to select our specific seats when we book online.  I don't know what would happen if we didn't or even if there is an open seating option.  I have to admit it has been a looong time since I've been to a movie theater.   Like you say, too many good options on the screen at home.    I think you need the genuine imitation butter flavor to duplicate that buttered popcorn.  Haha. 

I took delivery on a new LaZ Boy about a month ago.  First electric one I've had.  

I think you need the genuine imitation butter flavor to duplicate that buttered popcorn.  Haha. 

😁

I took delivery on a new LaZ Boy about a month ago.  First electric one I've had.  

Does it have a "lift" feature?  

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We are able to select our specific seats when we book online.

Never have tried to book movie theater seats online, but,  the option is there.  Getting to the box office (now there is an old fashioned phrase), the computer screen shows the available seats.  But, it's not the same as actually seeing where the seats are in the auditorium.  

This post has aroused another thought in my mind that is a bit contradictory.  I am comfortable in booking a seat for a concert online in our community's performing arts center because I am very familiar with where the seat will be and what the sight lines to the stage will be.  Perhaps it is my lack of familiarity with whatever movie theater I attend that inhibits me from making an advance booking.  

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

😁

Does it have a "lift" feature?  

It does not, but there are days when I wish it did.  Besides the normal leg/back recline, it has lumbar and the head/neck.  

7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Never have tried to book movie theater seats online, but,  the option is there.  Getting to the box office (now there is an old fashioned phrase), the computer screen shows the available seats.  But, it's not the same as actually seeing where the seats are in the auditorium.  

This post has aroused another thought in my mind that is a bit contradictory.  I am comfortable in booking a seat for a concert online in our community's performing arts center because I am very familiar with where the seat will be and what the sight lines to the stage will be.  Perhaps it is my lack of familiarity with whatever movie theater I attend that inhibits me from making an advance booking.  

When we book online, there is a seating plan that shows where the available seats are -- similar to what you see when you book a seat on a fight.   I think I want to say the newer "multiplex" theaters have a lot less seats for any given screen.   

• Like 1