NCL's Abysmal Communication

JamieLogical

I am booked on the first sailing from NYC to Bermuda on the Breakaway on September 26 (less than three weeks away). We have received ZERO communication about what the specific protocols for our sailing will be. All indications, based on independent research, are that the protocols will be quite onerous. Currently, Crystal Cruises is sailing from Boston to Bermuda and passengers are required to take a PCR test four days prior to embarkation, pay $75 for a Bermuda Travel Authorization application, then upload their PCR results and proof of vaccination to that application more than 24 hours out from sailing so their application has time to be processed. Then, upon arrival in Bermuda, all passengers must undergo another PCR test onboard and no one is allowed off of the ship until the results of all of those tests come in.

NCL has not said word one about any of these protocols to passengers on the Breakaway. Those of us following along on Cruise Critic or digging through the Bermuda government's website know about them. But the hundreds of passengers who don't do this kind of research on their own are blissfully unaware. Meanwhile, the deadline to cancel under the Peace of Mind policy is this Saturday.

NCL has generally done a TERRIBLE job of communicating protocols for specific itineraries. Their Sail Safe page is buried and only has fleet-wide information. Passengers have to rely on a single email to communicate the specifics for their itinerary. Compare that to the other cruise line's web sites.

To find the Sail Safe protocols on NCL's site, you have to navigate to the "Explore" menu or scroll all the way down past their giant ad:

image.thumb.png.ad63349692e8ce3a049d7a69b1b05680.png

Meanwhile Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney, Holland America, and MSC all have banners right across the top of their pages linking to their protocols:

image.thumb.png.ccc8a6ab3d45d539b3b3d4d7ef99d040.png

image.thumb.png.cae378c70c6dd75bd6e456c4d800a534.png

image.thumb.png.2cd61dbcae3b4dc5f30e1f1651739524.png

image.thumb.png.7b6f9cef7c999b47eb4ecce6f6f3d9d3.png

image.thumb.png.7dd228ac705b67adb4059ca914bb3156.png

image.thumb.png.86709af8881001d266bcc5ae72009b45.png

image.thumb.png.7becb46fdfc454d37ea2d4eaef37c34d.png

Also, the other cruise lines have specific information about individual itineraries, so you can look up the requirements for your cruise, without relying on receiving and not losing/deleting a single email.

image.thumb.png.ceb4e90b22a7f21fe70de581701ce5bd.png

image.thumb.png.edb07e0a040c06de11be814b92820cca.png

image.thumb.png.b317d135c8792d639f676d06a5a65a1e.png

I don't understand why it is so hard for NCL to do something like the other lines are doing so that we can all have a clear understanding of what is expected of us prior to sailing, at embarkation, onboard, and in ports.

• Like 13

My thoughts on this are they haven't told you because it is not close enough yet.  One thing all the lines have shown us is that things change day to day, hour to hour.  Anything you are told to do a month out may or may not be correct, and then you would be upset you spent money on things you ended up not needing. 

Just my thoughts.  If you plan on cruising this year (which many of us are) then you have to be on top of it yourself, and not just count on the line holding your hand (go check out stories of folks that RCL left at the pier because testing changed a week before a cruise in Alaska).  Basically, we are in weird times due to the COVID, and we all need to be extra detailed right up to the day of our cruises for changes.  I do not blame any line for not telling you to jump through hoops that probably will not be there, or might be there but with different rules, when you are set to sail.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

My thoughts on this are they haven't told you because it is not close enough yet.  One thing all the lines have shown us is that things change day to day, hour to hour.  Anything you are told to do a month out may or may not be correct, and then you would be upset you spent money on things you ended up not needing. 

Just my thoughts.  If you plan on cruising this year (which many of us are) then you have to be on top of it yourself, and not just count on the line holding your hand (go check out stories of folks that RCL left at the pier because testing changed a week before a cruise in Alaska).  Basically, we are in weird times due to the COVID, and we all need to be extra detailed right up to the day of our cruises for changes.  I do not blame any line for not telling you to jump through hoops that probably will not be there, or might be there but with different rules, when you are set to sail.

I fully understand that things change day to day. Look at all the cruise lines that switched to two-day testing from three-day testing last week. However, if NCL is only going to allow people to cancel up to 15 days out, then prior to that 15 days, they should provide passengers with as much information as possible. The constant changes aren't keeping other lines from posting CURRENT information and updating it as soon as it changes.

If every single other cruise line can do it, why can't NCL?

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I fully understand that things change day to day. Look at all the cruise lines that switched to two-day testing from three-day testing last week. However, if NCL is only going to allow people to cancel up to 15 days out, then prior to that 15 days, they should provide passengers with as much information as possible. The constant changes aren't keeping other lines from posting CURRENT information and updating it as soon as it changes.

If every single other cruise line can do it, why can't NCL?

So you are saying your expectation is that the cruise line should keep a page up that you can check with information that both you and they know is going to be out of date basically every few days?  Seems like a bad way to allocate resources from the business prospective of the cruise line to me.

Jamie, I'm on same cruise as you and share all your concerns. On our roll call I expressed my suspicion that NCL is going to wait until 14 days prior to sailing to drop the hammer that we are sailing to Nassau and GSC . I really  doubt Bermuda has the infrastructure to process 2000+ TA requests and PCR tests. 

• Like 2

I will just say Disney has been fairly poor and slow at any communication.

They moved 7 night cruises down to 4 nights just 26 days out (cancelling a cruise 19 days out). They then put in a vaccination requirement just 6 days out from a cruise. With their latest being a testing requirement (they were not testing vaccinated) being added just like 11 days out.

Disney actually comp'd future cruises for certain passengers because their original restart was so badly managed/messaged.

So yes they put a banner at the top of the page but if you are not on Disney specific forums you won't realize those are outdated to what is actually going to be required.

Wanted to add I just moved from a Disney cruise this month to NCL (Encore) just last week (11 days from sail date) on completely different cruises going from the Caribbean to an Alaska cruise.

Edited by J0Y0US

2 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

So you are saying your expectation is that the cruise line should keep a page up that you can check with information that both you and they know is going to be out of date basically every few days?  Seems like a bad way to allocate resources from the business prospective of the cruise line to me.

C'mon... Jamie didn't suggest anything of the sort. We can tell by your signature that you are a NCL loyalist (which is, or course, absolutely fine), but to be blind to their shortcomings in this situation is a bit naïve. The entry into Bermuda is onerous, more so than any other port I am aware of. A heads up from NCL is appropriate, if even to apologize that they missed communication at the 21 day mark as promised but they are working on updating the protocols. AFter all, they are the ones who stated 21 days. 

Personally, the longer NCL waits to inform guests the more I'm inclined to think this ship isn't headed to Bermuda at all. Something strange is going on. Yesterday the ship was listed as arrival in Gibraltar tomorrow. Today the destination is "not available" (although it is still sailing west which is a good sign).

I get that things remain extremely fluid and all the cruise lines are struggling with constant changes, but NCL stated they would inform guests of protocols 21 days out. That has come and gone without an update or apology. NCL can do better. 

• Like 8

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

C'mon... Jamie didn't suggest anything of the sort. We can tell by your signature that you are a NCL loyalist (which is, or course, absolutely fine), but to be blind to their shortcomings in this situation is a bit naïve. The entry into Bermuda is onerous, more so than any other port I am aware of. A heads up from NCL is appropriate, if even to apologize that they missed communication at the 21 day mark as promised but they are working on updating the protocols. AFter all, they are the ones who stated 21 days. 

Personally, the longer NCL waits to inform guests the more I'm inclined to think this ship isn't headed to Bermuda at all. Something strange is going on. Yesterday the ship was listed as arrival in Gibraltar tomorrow. Today the destination is "not available" (although it is still sailing west which is a good sign).

I get that things remain extremely fluid and all the cruise lines are struggling with constant changes, but NCL stated they would inform guests of protocols 21 days out. That has come and gone without an update or apology. NCL can do better. 

If they missed sending an email to guests by a mandated time frame that is an issue I feel for Jamie on (I think it is 30 days per their docs).  They don't however say they will keep pages up for things that are changing.

The main reason I pushed back is because other lines are updating websites, sure, but you know what they weren't doing?  Informing guests that things changed, so basically exactly what she is complaining about.  There are multiple articles from RCL passengers saying they were never told things changed (but the change was on the website) so they were denied boarding.

Asking for a webpage to tell what is going on is no different then sitting on cruise critic looking for updates.  Again, if we are talking about email updates, I think all the lines should be doing this and from what I am hearing and reading, they are ALL having issues doing this.  Because of this I think this thread is attacking one line for what they are all guilty of.

• Like 2

Breakaway is now heading to Gibraltar, ETA 7am tomorrow morning, before crossing the pond over to New York (I would say it'll take 9-10 days).

I'm thinking the delay in communications is due to NCL ironing out details with Bda Govt with regards to the arrival testing ... it boils down to how many passengers will be on the Breakaway sailings.

Viking Orion has had average 400-450 but she has own testing lab on board.

Crystal Symphony has 170 this week (200 next week) and had ppl from Bda Govt on board from Boston and they took the samples yesterday. They jumped ship this morning with the samples onto the pilot boat. 

One more thing, it was a long Labour Day weekend, and everyone got back to work today ..... meaning talks will resume.

Also the new covid cases are rising here in Bermuda, and the schools are resuming .....

Edited by bluesea777

2 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Breakaway is now heading to Gibraltar, ETA 7am tomorrow morning, before crossing the pond over to New York (I would say it'll take 9-10 days).

Yesterday the Breakaway was listed as heading to Gibralter tomorrow, but today it's listed as "Destination not available". Maybe this is a normal glitch? You do such a good job with tracking ship location, have you ever seen this before?

image.png.7e459676f85d9b99c8ed1d352a41932e.png

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yesterday the Breakaway was listed as heading to Gibralter tomorrow, but today it's listed as "Destination not available". Maybe this is a normal glitch? You do such a good job with tracking ship location, have you ever seen this before?

image.png.7e459676f85d9b99c8ed1d352a41932e.png

I use both MarineTraffic & Cruisemapper ....

image.thumb.png.6c647c611b07be71c83b0049e36eddfd.png

Cruisemapper is showing N/A.

19 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

The main reason I pushed back is because other lines are updating websites, sure, but you know what they weren't doing?  Informing guests that things changed, so basically exactly what she is complaining about.  There are multiple articles from RCL passengers saying they were never told things changed (but the change was on the website) so they were denied boarding.

Asking for a webpage to tell what is going on is no different then sitting on cruise critic looking for updates.  Again, if we are talking about email updates, I think all the lines should be doing this and from what I am hearing and reading, they are ALL having issues doing this.  Because of this I think this thread is attacking one line for what they are all guilty of.

I agree.  A number of the cruise lines seem to be struggling to get out consistent and accurate information across their various communication platforms, in particular emails to guests with upcoming sailings, and their web site.    For example, Celebrity has a set of FAQ on its web site about Covid testing, vaccines, etc., that has been internally inconsistent in the answers.  And a few days ago, even as Celebrity changed its web site to state that pre-cruise tests had to be done no earlier than 2 days before sailing, it was still sending out emails to guests telling them 3 days.

A cruise line would do well to have a single person in charge of messaging on these important issues, a person who would be responsible for making sure that everything that goes out is accurate and consistent across all communications platforms.  

• Like 2

@NYcruzzerI was thinking Bahamas too, but the Bahamas now has a visa requirement, so that's out.

@JamieLogical Taking your parents into consideration, is it worth the stress?

I have "computer illiterate" friends who cruise.  They aren't book for anything right now...but if they were, I picture them arriving at the dock....completely dumbfounded.  There are going to be lots of people like that.  Not everybody is on cruise critic, not everybody checks in with NCL multiple times a day.  They book a cruise...and they show up.

You'd think as time goes by, things would be ironed out; instead, they become more complex.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Jamie, I'm on same cruise as you and share all your concerns. On our roll call I expressed my suspicion that NCL is going to wait until 14 days prior to sailing to drop the hammer that we are sailing to Nassau and GSC . I really  doubt Bermuda has the infrastructure to process 2000+ TA requests and PCR tests. 

8 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@NYcruzzerI was thinking Bahamas too, but the Bahamas now has a visa requirement, so that's out.

@JamieLogical Taking your parents into consideration, is it worth the stress?

I have "computer illiterate" friends who cruise.  They aren't book for anything right now...but if they were, I picture them arriving at the dock....completely dumbfounded.  There are going to be lots of people like that.  Not everybody is on cruise critic, not everybody checks in with NCL multiple times a day.  They book a cruise...and they show up.

You'd think as time goes by, things would be ironed out; instead, they become more complex.

Are you sure that the Visa requirement is for ships calling on the Bahamas for the day ? Oasis of the seas left Cape Liberty for the Bahamas this past Sunday. I didn't hear of anyone applying for a Visa.

They will let everyone know what the protocols are 10-13 days ahead of time.  Too late to cancel.  You will not like it but too bad.  Replay of cruise to Greece in late July.

They will follow up with "it is our number one priority to protect our passengers and crew" speech.

I miss cruising as much as anyone.  Every time one of those "memories" pop up on Facebook or my phone from a previous cruise I curse under my breath and get a little sad.  

That being said...and I know there have been some successful cruises already...why?  Why book anything with so many unknowns and potential for stress?  That, to me at least, is not a vacation.  I'll curse and be sad a little longer rather than deal with that.  

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Are you sure that the Visa requirement is for ships calling on the Bahamas for the day ? Oasis of the seas left Cape Liberty for the Bahamas this past Sunday. I didn't hear of anyone applying for a Visa.

3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@NYCruzzer

As of last week you needed to apply for a visa. It was discussed on another thread.  

(Sorry....I'm having posting and link issues on this site today.)

Of course things could have changed overnight (hopefully).

https://travel.gov.bs/

You need visa if you are flying into Bahamas to board a ship. 

If you are sailing to Bahamas on a ship from another country (e.g. USA) you do not need it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

@NYCruzzer

As of last week you needed to apply for a visa. It was discussed on another thread.  

(Sorry....I'm having posting and link issues on this site today.)

Of course things could have changed overnight (hopefully).

https://travel.gov.bs/

I believe this is only if you are flying and cruises are exempted if you have a negative test and fully vaccinated at boarding 

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

Every other line seems to be at least attempting it....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tony s said:

We sail on the Jade 9/12 and got a letter on 9/3 with all the information about final protocols, ect. I think they are waiting as things change by the minute. Good luck!

Luckily I already know about the PCR testing requirement for Bermuda so we can make appointments. For our sail date, we need to test on the 22nd. If we waited until 9 days out from sailing to hear from NCL about the testing requirement, we would only have a couple of days to try to get a PCR testing appointment scheduled for the correct day/time.